Friendly new veggie and his story! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-13-2010, 08:45 AM

Hey there guys an' gals,

Well, here's somewhere I wouldn't have thought I would be posting about 6 months ago.

Lemme introduce myself, my name is Matt, although many friends know me as Kitt. I'm a mid-20s guy from the UK who had been an omnivore all his life, right up until about 3 weeks ago now.

I've been dating the love of my life for the last year, a wonderful guy named Ty. He stole my heart from the second we met and we share everything with each other. We've become comfortable enough with each other to have conversations that might be considered antagonistic by some people, without there being any malice behind them.

About a month ago now, Ty brought something up to me that had been bothering him. We've discussed ethics etc. in the past and we both agreed regarding the sanctity of life. Now, he's been a vegetarian for a number of years now and he asked me how I could hold that viewpoint whilst still eating meat. I couldn't answer except by stating that... I put aside my ethics when it came to what I eat... and that really did not sit well with me at all.

I've always considered myself to be a man of my principles and having such a glaring rift in my ethics versus my actions pointed out to me by someone I love so dearly hurt badly. I spent a week or so soul searching on this and spoke to a number of my other vegetarian friends regarding their reasons for becoming vegetarian in the interim. They all said pretty much the same thing: they couldn't handle the ethical rift between believing that life was something sacred on one hand whilst nonchalantly casting them aside as soon as something was on their plate.

So I made the decision to become a vegetarian. So far I've found it a fairly easy transition. I've become fairly adept at cooking good food with tofu reasonably quickly (although good recipe suggestions are always welcome!) and am starting to explore other culinary avenues in the hopes of maintaining a well-balanced diet.

So ummmm, yeah. I'm Kitt, I'm a very easy-going, reasonably intellectual and very sociable guy and it's a pleasure to meet you all. I'm really hoping to find a place where I can meet some new friends, get some good ideas and talk about some of the challenges I might encounter on my journey.

Much love and a big, warm hello,

Kitt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-13-2010, 09:19 AM

What a wonderful introduction. It sounds like you have a good solid basis for making this change, plus the support of some of your friend and loved ones. Hopefully you find the resources here to make a lifelong commitment to harmonious living.
#3 Old 04-13-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerFoxx View Post

What a wonderful introduction. It sounds like you have a good solid basis for making this change, plus the support of some of your friend and loved ones. Hopefully you find the resources here to make a lifelong commitment to harmonious living.

Thank you so much for your kind words! ^.^

I'm lucky to have the support I do in this lifestyle change, I know others aren't so blessed.

Many hugs,

- Kitt

p.s. I -love- your tattoo work! <3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-13-2010, 09:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Yay! My cousin's name is Ty. Great name for your boyfriend!

That realization of ethical hypocrisy happened to me too... I claimed to LOVE animals and acted accordingly in everything except my eating habits. Strange how we manage to do that, hey?

Then I watched Earthlings, and in those 90 minutes I went from omnivore to vegan. Once I decided to embrace those ethical values wholeheartedly, it was the only path that made any sort of sense.

I love your intro - I hate it when people write two lines and barely say anything about themselves! I guess I'm a bit nosy. Thanks for being here!
#5 Old 04-13-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittiah View Post

Thank you so much for your kind words! ^.^

I'm lucky to have the support I do in this lifestyle change, I know others aren't so blessed.

Many hugs,

- Kitt

p.s. I -love- your tattoo work! <3

Thank you (= It's my first tattoo. I got it in October and November. I am looking forward to the summer so I can finally show it off a bit more.
#6 Old 04-13-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

Yay! My cousin's name is Ty. Great name for your boyfriend!

That realization of ethical hypocrisy happened to me too... I claimed to LOVE animals and acted accordingly in everything except my eating habits. Strange how we manage to do that, hey?

Then I watched Earthlings, and in those 90 minutes I went from omnivore to vegan. Once I decided to embrace those ethical values wholeheartedly, it was the only path that made any sort of sense.

I love your intro - I hate it when people write two lines and barely say anything about themselves! I guess I'm a bit nosy. Thanks for being here!

Heh, I love the name Ty too! Although don't ever call him Tyler, he abhores that name for some unknown reason. I'm gonna try and drag him on here at some point too since he's the one who set me on this path!

I'm gonna sit down and watch Earthlings tonight, had never heard of it before, but it seems to be up for free on Google Video with the permission of the copyright holder. Have been reading some books lately that have made me think about veganism as something I may well progress to in the future, but, ya know... baby steps at the moment!

Thanks for being so sweet, hope to chat some more!

- Kitt
#7 Old 04-13-2010, 10:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittiah View Post

I'm gonna sit down and watch Earthlings tonight, had never heard of it before, but it seems to be up for free on Google Video with the permission of the copyright holder. Have been reading some books lately that have made me think about veganism as something I may well progress to in the future, but, ya know... baby steps at the moment!

Earthlings is, to understand it wildly, VERY hard to watch. Bring tissues and don't plan on having to look super-perky in the morning. It's horrifying what humans do to animals. Truly horrifying on every level.

I feel veganism is the only way for ME to live in accordance with my ethics. If you watch videos, read books, and talk to people who make you feel that veganism is the right path? You'll get there. It's not about jumping in so fast your head spins, though. It's about taking steps and making lifestyle changes that are sustainable for you! And big conrats on making the step toward vegetarianism.
#8 Old 04-13-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

I feel veganism is the only way for ME to live in accordance with my ethics. If you watch videos, read books, and talk to people who make you feel that veganism is the right path? You'll get there. It's not about jumping in so fast your head spins, though. It's about taking steps and making lifestyle changes that are sustainable for you! And big conrats on making the step toward vegetarianism.

I get that it's probably going to be really hard for me to watch, but if it wasn't for having my preconceptions et al. challenged in the first place, I might never be where I am. Ty has actually recently gone Vegan, so I bought a couple of books: Easy Vegan Cooking (for me, love to cook for him and make him smile) and Vegan Freak: Being Vegan In A Non-Vegan World.

I actually started reading through the opening chapters of Vegan Freak and well... they make some pretty scathing points directed at lacto-ovo vegetarians that I'm already finding kinda difficult to argue against ethically. It's something I'm going to have to think about very deeply before I go diving into anything head first, but we shall see what comes of it.

Many hugs,

- Kitt
#9 Old 04-14-2010, 02:32 AM
Banned

That's such a nice story, kudos to Ty and to you for thinking about this and not just getting defensive or ignoring it.
#10 Old 04-14-2010, 02:49 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

Welcome to VB

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#11 Old 04-14-2010, 02:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to the Veggie Boards, nice story, and say 'hello' to Ty, from us all!
#12 Old 04-14-2010, 05:35 AM

Thanks for all the sweet replies, guys and gals! I shall pass on everyone's well wishes to Ty and let him know he should sign up here!

Peace!

- Kitt
#13 Old 04-14-2010, 02:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to VB!

Have you tried making tofu curry? I think it's the one thing everyone should know how to make. Yumm.

(and don't forget the mango chutney!)

*this space not for sale*
#14 Old 04-20-2010, 10:49 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

Welcome to VB!

Have you tried making tofu curry? I think it's the one thing everyone should know how to make. Yumm.

(and don't forget the mango chutney!)

Care to share a recipe?!?! Sounds delicious!
#15 Old 04-20-2010, 11:07 AM

What a lovely introduction, congratulations on making such a great decision
#16 Old 04-20-2010, 06:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome, Kitt!!! You sound like a super, super nice guy. Ty is lucky to have you (I'm sure you're lucky to have him, too).

Laura
#17 Old 04-22-2010, 02:08 PM

Wow, you guys are so incredibly nice to newcomers! Again, thank you to everyone who's gone out of their way to give me such a warm welcome here on VB. I've already found some answers and support on certain topics and have actually been seeing if I can live with a strict vegan diet for over a week now.

I'm getting my Vitamin B12 from my morning Marmite on toast, mainly!

I've actually got Ty to sign up on here, so he should poke his head in here sometime and I'm sure everyone'll be just as lovely to him! <3

Peace!

Kitt
#18 Old 04-26-2010, 11:36 AM

I too came to terms recently that I was not living according to my ethics. I had been toying with the idea to become a vegetarian for a while. I saw the youtube video meet your meat and it made me realize that I needed to change my life. I have been a vegetarian now for alittle over a month and it was definitely the best decision I could have made for both my body and mind. I also took a class on animals and ethics this past semester at college and it opened my eyes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page