It can be so hard sometimes! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-16-2010, 07:08 AM

Hi everyone.

I am 18 years old and have been vegetarian for two years now. I know two other vegetarians and they're not even very close friends of mine. My best friend who I spend most of my time with is one of the biggest meat-eaters I know (I have no idea how it happened!) and I come from a family of 8 meat-eaters who can barely last a day without some sort of meat. I just feel so lost sometimes because no one seems to understand the reason why I'm a vegetarian (I believe it is completely inhumane and barbaric to kill innocent animals for food when we can survive perfectly well without it) and everyone thinks it's just for attention or something and keep trying to convert me back to eating meat. I feel very strongly about cruelty to animals and the treatment of some of these animals before they are murdered and would not like to have any part in the whole business of meat eating but being the only vegetarian around sometimes and having no one to talk to about it can be really difficult, especially when I am tempted by the smell of some dinner my family's having while I eat my plain rice or pasta in the corner! Does anyone else find it hard to stay loyal to their beliefs all the time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-16-2010, 07:34 AM

I do not find it hard to stay loyal, but hard to explain to people as you do. But I'm a pretty new vegetarian, just for one month. I stay apart from my family in school terms, and they just could not understand why I'm doing something like this. When I told them on the phone, they said "pff, we'll see that when you come home" and stuff. But I'm having no problems with my friends up to now, apart from that they are concerned about my health. When I explain them it's a lot healthier, they seem to understand but they have no intention to go vegetarian.
#3 Old 01-16-2010, 07:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to the VeggieBoards!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-16-2010, 07:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Hiya EmZy and welcome to VeggieBoards! It can be tough at times to be sure. Even us old folks sometimes have to deal with criticism from family and friends who can often make it quite difficult to stay positive about our choices. Hang in there, and know that you're among people who understand where you are coming from. You'll find lots of support here.
#5 Old 01-16-2010, 08:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi EmZy,

I became a vegetarian when I was 11 and from that time until I went to college at 18 were the most challenging years to maintain my choice. I held my ground against the pressures from family and friends, though, and you can too. Trust me, it gets a bit easier after you turn 18 or so - especially if you're attending college or leaving home soon (if you haven't already). As I entered my 20s, I started becoming exposed to all kinds of people with different lifestyles, eating patterns, religions, moral codes, and my choice to become a vegetarian didn't seem so strange anymore. It seems like you've weathered the hardest years - I think it will only get easier and easier for you from here now that you're an adult.
#6 Old 01-16-2010, 09:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome You've found a great support system here. Anytime you need to feel apart of things and a reminder that you are on the right track, pop in and you find lots of people just like yourself. Making this decision is stepping outside the norm, but that's ok. Stay positive, you'll be surprised at how many people you really are effecting with your choice.

((hugs))
#7 Old 01-16-2010, 09:44 AM
Beginner

I know the feeling, the Italian side of my family who are big foodies think I'm gay, and trust me you dont want to be gay and Italian they are very homophobic (obviously i dont mean all Italians). and my dads side of the family who are all west Indian also think I am gay or have an eating disorder, when i clearly don't. I now live with my girlfriend who's also veggie which makes life a lot easier, people at college gave me a bit of aggro but then they just accepted it. And being veggie doesn't have to be just rice pasta muesli if you take a look on the recipe area of this forum you can find lots of tasty veggie dishes. Try learn some new recipes and then maybe your family will take an interest in your food and who knows maybe yo can convert them or at the least help them eat haltier. :P

WELCOME
#8 Old 01-16-2010, 10:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo View Post

I now live with my girlfriend who's also veggie which makes life a lot easier...

Does she know that you're gay?
#9 Old 01-16-2010, 10:33 AM

Thanks for the advice, guys. I know I will have to stay vegetarian if only to prove that I care about the issue and I'm still working on converting my family!
#10 Old 01-19-2010, 04:29 PM
VMM

Welcome and thanks for sharing! I was born and raised vegetarian and have experienced 1/2 a lifetime of similar, "trials". As the saying goes, "what doesn't break you - only makes you stronger..." Being different is difficult but it gives you the opportunity to share.

Lorenzo gave some really good advice...explore the vast world of veggies! There are SO many awesome vegetarian dishes so get cooking!

Next time somebody plays the, "that's not healthy" card just ask them what there Cholesterol level is then challenge them to a foot race.

I Heart Veggies!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page