Hello from South Florida - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-06-2009, 04:25 PM

Hi, I am Jon From South Florida, New to the whole Pesciterian lifestyle, I started it as a weightless, I felt it was time to meet my future wife and I had to loose weight, I was weighing 405 in 08/09 and now I weigh 330lbs, I like my new life style and diet and I am thinking of extending it for a year. Well I am glad I found this forum to relate to others.

-Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-06-2009, 04:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi! Welcome to VB! Do you plan on becoming fully vegetarian?

Who needs sleep when we've got love?
Who needs keys when we've got clubs?
Who needs please when we've got guns?
Who needs peace when we've gone above?
#3 Old 12-06-2009, 05:08 PM

Depends, I want to try it, It does not hurt to experience, but I need protein, dunno if there are any proteins that i can eat, also, I am not eating any type of breads or flour at all.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-06-2009, 05:12 PM
Veggie Regular

First thing, you can get plenty of protein from plant sources. It's pretty easy, everything has at least a little protein in it. Second, low and no-carb diets really aren't that great for you, doable, but not the best. Is there a reason you don't do carbs? Third, not trying to sound harsh here, but these boards are for vegans, vegetarians, and those striving to be vegan and vegetarian.

#5 Old 12-06-2009, 05:16 PM

I am striving to be a vegetarian, I just don't know when yet, thanks for the tips, I do a no-carb diet for the reason that I want to loose weight rather quickly, I do not plan on eating breads or any other carbs for a while, I have lost 80lbs in 4 months, so so far so good, I will google what plant sources I can use for protein, Thanks again.

Cheers,

-Jon
#6 Old 12-06-2009, 05:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome!

Beans are high in protein. Nuts as well. There is seriously protein in everything, it's pretty difficult to not get enough. Most omnivores get too much and that has health risks. The China Study is a great book about that.

Also with the no carb thing, you do realize that not all carbohydrates are bad right? Sure white flour, white sugar, white rice (all simple carbs) is not great and should be avoided but complex carbs (brown rice, whole grain products, wheat breads) are fuel for your body. You may be losing weight but it is not a long term solution. Even Dr Atkins said so before he died (from complications of his own diet plan). Be safe with that. You would be better off with a balanced diet with exercise. That is really the only way to lose weight healthily and keep it off.
#7 Old 12-06-2009, 05:42 PM

Thanks! Its funny how you said carbs are fuel because, I Jog, walk and lift weights everyday, and I sometimes Feel Extremely weak, I just thought it was my change of diet, I only eat fish once a day, but I still want to try to cut it out, I guess I just have to do some personal research and see what I can learn.

Thanks again!

Cheers,

-Jon
#8 Old 12-06-2009, 05:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Carbs feed your brain. If you incorporate a few complex carbs into your diet, you'll have more energy.

You could try brown rice and black beans. Add some tomatoes, avocado, and a small dab of sour cream, and you've got a tasty meal, complete with good carbs and protein.

#9 Old 12-06-2009, 06:17 PM

I am actually liking the idea of full vegetarian, I want to Start in January...... 8) lol
#10 Old 12-06-2009, 06:37 PM
Ankle Biter

Welcome to Veggieboards. And congratulations on wanting to try vegetarianism - which does not include seafood. Since we are a vegetarian forum, we require that members sincerely desire to become vegetarian in order to post here. We're also very opposed to anything that might come across as a "pro-meat" position. A veg*n diet can be very healthy, well-balanced, and provide all of the energy you could possibly need!

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#11 Old 12-06-2009, 07:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonalonso77 View Post

I guess I just have to do some personal research and see what I can learn.

The China Study is an awesome book about nutrition and how it effects your body. It's a bit heavy of a read but so worth it.
#12 Old 12-07-2009, 04:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to the VeggieBoards!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page