Introduction - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-15-2009, 05:13 PM

Hullo Hullo!

Just recently became a Vegetarian (Well, technically a Pescatarian, but I don't eat fish that often).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-15-2009, 05:18 PM
Ankle Biter

Welcome to VeggieBoards. Veggieboards is a forum for vegetarians and those trying to become vegetarian. Are you planning to transition to a completely vegetarian diet?

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#3 Old 11-15-2009, 09:08 PM

Hi. You should read Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer. It might help motivate a transition into a completely vegetarian lifestyle. The abuses fish endure are just as brutal as those inflicted on farm animals. Plus, modern fishing techniques are devastating to the environment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-16-2009, 04:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to the VeggieBoards!
#5 Old 11-16-2009, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0629 View Post

Hi. You should read Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer. It might help motivate a transition into a completely vegetarian lifestyle. The abuses fish endure are just as brutal as those inflicted on farm animals. Plus, modern fishing techniques are devastating to the environment.

He just came to our school to speak like a week ago

If I can speak for my friend, Koz just needs a little push in the right direction to give up the idea of salmon. I think she'll be transitioning very quickly as soon as she hangs out on here for a little while.
#6 Old 11-16-2009, 01:36 PM
Beginner

Don't forget the animals stuck in labs all over the world being cruely tested on for our "luxury and comfort"

Bad companies. Test on animals

Avon Cosmetics Jeyes

Beiersdorf Johnson & Johnson

The Body Shop/L’Oreal+ Lancome

Chanel Lever Fabergé

Christion Dior L’Oreal/Nestlé

Clinique Miners Cosmetics

Colgate Palmolive PZ Cussons

Coty Reckitt Benckiser

Ecover* Revlon

Estée Lauder SC Johnson

FCUK Virgin Vie

Garnier Yardley

Givenchy Yves Rocher

GlaxoSmithKline Yves Saint Laurent

Helena Rubenstein Unilever

+ The Body Shop are now owned by L’Oreal/Nestlé.

* Ecover do not have a FCOD, they follow the ‘5 year rolling rule’, which is why they feature on the ‘bad’ list. FCOD is "final cut off date" for allowing testing on animals. In other words, they do not test on animals anymore but they had in the past and they never will again.
#7 Old 11-16-2009, 01:36 PM
Contributing Member

Welcome and good luck on your journey to becoming a veg*n. You'll see how much easier it is than you think.

‎"One meal, soon forgotten, in exchange for a whole life." Author Unknown
"Fur is worn by beautiful animals and ugly people"

#8 Old 11-16-2009, 01:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome!
#9 Old 11-16-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtemisDea View Post

He just came to our school to speak like a week ago

If I can speak for my friend, Koz just needs a little push in the right direction to give up the idea of salmon. I think she'll be transitioning very quickly as soon as she hangs out on here for a little while.

I'm filled with envy! He's one of my favorite authors since reading Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close. That book broke my heart 'cause I read it a couple of months after my father died.
#10 Old 11-21-2009, 11:10 AM

I wasn't too fond of Extremely Loud, to be honest. It was a required reading, so that might've contributed to it, but I found the writing style really grating.
#11 Old 11-21-2009, 04:04 PM

Yes, I am.
#12 Old 11-21-2009, 10:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool Koz, welcome.

I promise it's not too hard to give up the fishies, there's lots of fun stuff to eat that doesn't need any animal parts to be awesome.
#13 Old 11-25-2009, 01:30 AM

Well,that's really good.You find it very easy too.you'll be habituated for sure
#14 Old 12-02-2009, 03:32 PM

That is true!

I got a vegetarian cookbook and I can't wait to go home to cook the stuff in there!

(Most of it anyways...some stuff looks...eh...)

I actually have been eating vegetarian at school because the seafood options here are...yeah...

So I have a question...

Let's say I visit a friend's house...Should I bring/make my own food, or tell that I'm vegetarian?

I don't want to make their..."job"... harder because I know from my own family that it's kind of a hassle to have to prepare something separate for the veggie in addition to the rest of the family. (Part of the reason I sometimes still eat fish..)
#15 Old 12-03-2009, 06:45 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozmanaut View Post

So I have a question...

Let's say I visit a friend's house...Should I bring/make my own food, or tell that I'm vegetarian?

I don't want to make their..."job"... harder because I know from my own family that it's kind of a hassle to have to prepare something separate for the veggie in addition to the rest of the family. (Part of the reason I sometimes still eat fish..)

Visiting omni friends who are hosting dinner, typically they've prepared salad and some type of side dish that has no meat or animal products in it (like roasted vegetables, etc)... so that's what I'll have for dinner... It's not terribly difficult to abstain from the "main course" of meat/fish-

I find that friends having dinner together, enjoying the company of friends- that's what the point of it is, not of what's being served as food.

As far as books go, I'd highly recommend "The Omnivore's Dilemma" and "In Defense of Food" by Michael Pollan, and "Skinny *****" or "Skinny *******" by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin. For me, "Skinny *****" was the final straw for me to choose going vegan.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page