Hello From London Ontario - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-26-2009, 02:34 PM

My name is Mike and I'm on my way to becoming vegan. I want to learn as much as possible before starting this new lifestyle. I'm an avid athlete, and I want to be able to confidently enter this change with proper knowledge in order to protect my body. I have been a vegetarian in the past, but currently eat meat 2-3 times a week. I want to stop, but first I need to know what to replace it with. I'm finding lots of great information online, but as a student I don't have too much leisure time to research this. If anyone could drop me a line to give me a hand that would be great! The biggest questions I'm dealing with are basically what do I have to stay away from and what do can I replace those food items with? I know that there are many different definitions of 'vegan', but I'd like to know the basics beyond meat(replace with beans, tofu etc.), dairy (a variety of soy beverages, etc), honey, refined sugar, as well as products such as leather, silk and furs.

Thanks for reading and any help you might lend me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-26-2009, 05:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome,

Search through the threads and you will find a lot of good advice.
#3 Old 10-27-2009, 03:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to the VeggieBoards!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-29-2009, 02:51 PM
Banned

Hi all i am new here, hope many will likes me here to stay in the community...

I am a newbie in this forum, so i would like to make a new member and contribute my ideas and improve my knowledge from the others.I was registered at your forum. I have printed the test message. Do not delete, please.Gee! this thread will attract many people to give more info

Simulateur de pret immobilier simulation credit | Simulateur pret immobilier simulation de credit | Simulateur de pret immo
#5 Old 11-16-2009, 02:32 PM
Beginner

Don't forget all of the animals stuck in labs all over the world!

Bad companies. Test on animals

Avon Cosmetics Jeyes

Beiersdorf Johnson & Johnson

The Body Shop/L’Oreal+ Lancome

Chanel Lever Fabergé

Christion Dior L’Oreal/Nestlé

Clinique Miners Cosmetics

Colgate Palmolive PZ Cussons

Coty Reckitt Benckiser

Ecover* Revlon

Estée Lauder SC Johnson

FCUK Virgin Vie

Garnier Yardley

Givenchy Yves Rocher

GlaxoSmithKline Yves Saint Laurent

Helena Rubenstein Unilever

+ The Body Shop are now owned by L’Oreal/Nestlé.

* Ecover do not have a FCOD, they follow the ‘5 year rolling rule’, which is why they feature on the ‘bad’ list. FCOD is "final cut off date" for allowing testing on animals. In other words, they do not test on animals anymore but they had in the past and they never will again.
#6 Old 11-16-2009, 03:08 PM
Contributing Member

It looks like you have already done some research.

There are a lot of hidden ingredients unfortunately such as gelatin which shows up in the most unexpected places.

Heres a link to a thread discussing the hidden ingredients: https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=71315

And here is a list of some basic substitutions:

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=64454

And one more thread on basic things to have on hand:

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=88163

Hope this helps a little.

‎"One meal, soon forgotten, in exchange for a whole life." Author Unknown
"Fur is worn by beautiful animals and ugly people"

#7 Old 11-17-2009, 08:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Hey there!

I see that you're from London, Ontario! I've been out there to visit my boyfriend's family and after some hunting for veggie food - I feel for you! I didn't have the best of luck, but then again, I probably don't know all the secrets that a local would.

My first tip for tofu - the freeze and thaw method. Makes the texture really awesome, especially if you're not used to tofu. Even omnis will like it this way.

Soy milk is great, but I've also won a lot of people over with chocolate Almond Breeze. It's goooood.

For reading, I would check out books like Becoming Vegan by Vesanto Melina, although PLEASE take it with a grain of salt. You don't obsessively count milligrams of each vitamin as an omni, so why would you as a vegan? I fell into that trap after reading that book, but it DOES have a lot of great info.

Best of luck, and welcome!
#8 Old 11-17-2009, 01:06 PM
Veggie Regular

hi and welcome. i used to live in Stratford and have been to London a bunch of times. you have more options there than i do here in North Bay as far as eating out goes. there is an awesome vegan restaurant called Veg Out that you absolutely MUST check out. sounds wierd but get the fish and chips, seriously! omg and the owner is super nice.

i think there's also a veg place on dundas but i don't think i've been there.

oh and if you haven't been to ben thahn you must, it's viet-thai with a really great selection of vegan stuff. i think there's 2 locations in london.

as for what to eat and what to avoid, hit the vegetarian and vegan sections and the food section, there's tons of info and recipes and ideas.

but basically as long as you eat enough calories in a day and a wide variety of natural foods, fruits, veggies, grains, etc, you will have enough of everything. the idea that vegetarians are nutrient deficient and starving to death is such b.s. the only thing you need to watch out for is b12 but if you eat any meat substitutes like veggie burgers, vegetarian chicken substitutes, that sorta thing, and any soy products like soymilk, soy dairy alternatives etc, they are all fortified with b12 and other stuff so you don't really have to worry about it.

just don't fall into the trap of relying on these convenient meat alternatives, they are very processed and full of junk (but still better for you than meat) but now and then they're great to include in recipes you loved before going veg so you don't have to miss out on anything you would normally eat.

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#9 Old 11-17-2009, 01:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post

It looks like you have already done some research.

There are a lot of hidden ingredients unfortunately such as gelatin which shows up in the most unexpected places.

Heres a link to a thread discussing the hidden ingredients: https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=71315

And here is a list of some basic substitutions:

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=64454

And one more thread on basic things to have on hand:

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=88163

Hope this helps a little.

Whisper, you are always so helpful

Welcome Mike!

May you be held in compassion.
May your pain and sorrow be eased.
May you be at peace.

My Blog: www.allie4animals.wix.com/veganliving
#10 Old 11-17-2009, 01:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi Mike, welcome

Are you sure this is art, not vandalism?
#11 Old 11-17-2009, 02:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome!

If you are looking for a good book to read then I would suggest "Becoming Vegan" By Brenda Davis. It has lots of awesome vegan health information and lets you know what you need to keep healthy!
#12 Old 11-18-2009, 01:12 AM

Hello

I am Joe Barry from UsA

Today i am happy when in here

hope we will have good time in this forums

P/s: I will be very happy if you can write me through my email for easiest

communication and to tell you more about me and send you my picture,

i will be waiting to hear from you thanks and have a nice day, yours new friend
#13 Old 11-18-2009, 07:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to VeggieBoards! You'll find lots of useful info here.
#14 Old 11-18-2009, 07:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to VB!

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page