Returning to vegetarianism - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-09-2009, 03:01 PM

Hi! I'm Kelsey from Dayton, OH. I am returning to veg'ism after an overly long hiatus. I was vegetarian many years ago but returned to eating meat due to living in a small town (no veggie options in the local grocery store) and being young and not in control of the food that was purchased.

I have decided to go back to a veg lifestyle for a number of reasons including but not limited to: animal cruelty sucks (big time), ecological responsibility, and it is healthier if you do it right.

I am so glad to have found this forum as last time I tried veg'ism I didn't have a community to share with and learn from. I have a very supportive (though not vegetarian) family and I am more in control of the grocery situation now. My big concern and a problem last time I tried veg'ism was my HUGE increase in dairy intake so we will see how that goes.

So all that said, Hi, glad to be here and pleased to meet all of you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-09-2009, 03:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome back!

Fortunately most staples of a vegetarian diet can be found at any grocery store. While I do shop at my local co-op for "specialty items" like nutritional yeast and miso, the majority of my groceries could easily be purchased at almost any grocery store! In our house we eat tons of fresh fruits and veggies, lots of beans and lentils, lots of whole grains (oats, brown rice, barley, whole grain pasta), and some nuts and seeds. I'm sure if you start expanding your dietary horizons and stop thinking like an omni you'll start finding more options that aren't dairy!! I stopped eating dairy 6 yrs ago after 9 yrs as a vegetarian and honestly, I'm not so sure what I WOULD do with cheese anymore! Just a change in mindset!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#3 Old 10-09-2009, 03:21 PM
Ankle Biter

Welcome to VB!

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-09-2009, 03:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

Welcome back!

Fortunately most staples of a vegetarian diet can be found at any grocery store. While I do shop at my local co-op for "specialty items" like nutritional yeast and miso, the majority of my groceries could easily be purchased at almost any grocery store! In our house we eat tons of fresh fruits and veggies, lots of beans and lentils, lots of whole grains (oats, brown rice, barley, whole grain pasta), and some nuts and seeds. I'm sure if you start expanding your dietary horizons and stop thinking like an omni you'll start finding more options that aren't dairy!! I stopped eating dairy 6 yrs ago after 9 yrs as a vegetarian and honestly, I'm not so sure what I WOULD do with cheese anymore! Just a change in mindset!

Good advice and welcome to VB and vegetarianism!!!!
#5 Old 10-09-2009, 08:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to VB!

*this space not for sale*
#6 Old 10-10-2009, 03:42 AM

From a fellow Ohioan, welcome to VB!
#7 Old 10-10-2009, 03:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome Back!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page