Hi there! New guy from Stockholm joining this forum - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-29-2009, 03:14 AM
Beginner

I'm new to this forum but not new to vegetariansim. I've been a vegetarian, of sorts, since I was 17. I'm 41 now so that's been a few years. I work as a social worker/mental nurse, and on my free time I play music in the streets, draw comics, cuddle with my wife (the "vegan-taliban" of the house!) or play with my grandkids. Or step-grandkids I should say, those are my step-daughter's kids. In any case, I was a grandpa before I turned 40 and I can only recommend it!

As for the vegetarian thing... I've eaten eggs off and on, from time to time I've eaten fish or meat when served by strangers but for the last ten years or so it's been lacto-vegetarian all the way, unless by mistake. Which happens less and less often since you do get used to checking everything you buy and asking everyone who serves you anything.

I was never attched to meat or fish, I realize this now in later years. It never mattered to me, giving it up was very easy. A few years back I also realized that the attachment I have to dairy is perhaps similar to what some others have to meat and fish and if I want to go around advocating a meat free lifestyle (which I do from time to time, especially in my comics) then perhaps I should try to do without something I'm attached to. So I went vegan for a few months to challange myself.

It was easier than I thought. I'm still not a vegan but I've pretty much quit buying dairy products to bring home and cook with. There is a goat cheese I buy from time to time, I will eat ice-creams and milk chocolate, order a cappucino and eat anything otherwise vegetarian with dairy in it when served but I've gone to that from eating quite a lot of dairy daily so the change was pretty drastic. I lost about 20 kilos, maybe my allergies got a little better (or that could be imagination) and I learnt some interesting recepies of stuff that I eat daily now instead of butter and cheese on my sandwhiches.

Apart from that I'm a coffee-geek. I roast my own beans at home and could easily go on for days about coffee, different beans, different ways of roasting them, grinding them, brewing them... when I went vegan I tried some milk substitutes in coffee and some of them are just fine, perhaps better than cow's milk, but the real discovery was of course that really great coffee is best black, which is how I will drink my own almost all the time. When I go out it's a different story, but then again only three or four places in Stockholm (where I live) serve good enough coffee for me to drink it more than once.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-29-2009, 04:18 AM
Ex-*****

Velkommen til VB - good to see other Scandinavians on here

Also really cool to see other comic-book enthusiasts - one that even draws his own! Very cool! Are any of them published? What are they called? What kind of style is it? Do you have any favourites besides your own stuff?

Have you ever traveled much? How do you think Stockholm and Sweden compares to other places in terms of veg*n-friendliness? Or in terms of general "social progressiveness"?

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#3 Old 09-29-2009, 04:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Nice to have another one from Sweden here.

Hoppas du har det trevligt här.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-29-2009, 05:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to the VeggieBoards!
#5 Old 09-29-2009, 07:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome here!
#6 Old 09-30-2009, 04:07 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

Welcome to VB. You can make your own avatar.

-

-

-

-

-

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#7 Old 10-03-2009, 01:52 AM
Beginner

Thanks for the warm welcoming guys!

I have travelled some. Perhaps not enough to make a fair "global comparison" but still. Stockholm is relatively veggie friendly. You can usually get vegetarian food, often also vegan food pretty much in any restaurant. If they don't have it they are most often willing to try to make it. It's better in Stockholm than the rest of the ****ry I'd say. The small towns are small. There's no market for vegetarain food, simple as that.

"Social progressiveness"... let me get back on that. In a bit of a rush now, gonna help a friend in moving.

Of all the countries I've been to India stands out as being the best for a vegetarian. Nowhere else is it as easy to order vegetarian food as it is in India. Pretty much everything else is harder to do in India, from booking a hotel room to finding a decent toilet but ordering vegetarian food is dead simple and almost always met with deep respect. Only in India can you get away with saying "Look, I'd rather the cook didn't prepare meat with the same pots and pans" and they'll go "Sure, we know, we're religious too!".

The list of the comics I love would be too long for me to type but... Charles Schulz, Hergé, Hugo Pratt, Frank Miller, Ross Campbell, Lynn Johnston, Cecilia Torudd, Martin Kellerman, Alan Moore, Jodorowsky, Milo Manara... and abotu a hundred more! As for the comics I draw myself, please go here http://terjelarssonserier.blogspot.com/

They're all in swedish but sometimes they're drawn with no dialogue and I'll be happy to translate any of it to anyone here who is interested. Some are definitely "on topic" for this forum.
#8 Old 10-03-2009, 03:49 AM
Veggie Regular

hej we've spent a little bit of time in Sweden, mainly in Herrang - fearsome mosquitoes !
#9 Old 10-03-2009, 04:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to VB!

*this space not for sale*

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page