Fly-by Hi! from Tesseract - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-14-2009, 07:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey gang, I'm sure a few of you remember me. I haven't posted here in a long while, but I haven't forgotten you. I still drop in to get recipes from time to time. I stopped in to get a recipe and was struck by the urge to say hello.

Let's see, what's new in my life? New job, new house (still in Houston). Took up sea kayaking and rock climbing, have had to ditch rock climbing for the summer due to a toe injury, might need surgery. Joined Weight Watchers and dropped 30 pounds. I post over there as Mirabilis. There is a vegetarian board over there, and they are a super nice, welcoming, and supportive group-- sometimes they're so damn sweet and touchy-feely I just want to snark the lot of 'em! And hard as it may be to believe, the vegetarians, vegans, and supportive omnis all get along swimmingly. But I must say I miss the dancing fruit icons, as well as certain folks over here.

Those of you who know me by name (and a few of you do, or at least did), feel free to look me up on Facebook.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-14-2009, 08:06 PM
Banned

your tip of the day posts are sorely missed. glad things are going well for you!
#3 Old 07-14-2009, 08:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Seems like things are going great for you! Congrats!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-14-2009, 08:20 PM
Veggie Regular

ZOMG It's Tesseract! Welcome back, I'm glad you decided to say hello to us! I sure do remember you! Congrats on dropping the weight, and please don't go another million years before you decide to say hi again! Every so often I read some old posts in some old threads, and I see stuff you posted in the past, and I wonder, "gee, it would be nice if Tesseract could come back and say hi and do some occasional posting again!" Preferably in your Tip of the Day thread; it needs you again!

*this space not for sale*
#5 Old 07-14-2009, 08:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I didn't know you but I love your user name-- from A Wrinkle in Time, right?
#6 Old 07-14-2009, 10:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I remember you. I'm glad to hear things are going good for you!
#7 Old 07-14-2009, 11:26 PM
Veggie Regular

OH SO SO SO COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hello! Hello! Helllllloooooo!!!! Girl, I looked for you on FaceBook and either I'm spelling something wrong or Facebook hates me (both likely stories!)

Awesome to see you here!!!
#8 Old 07-15-2009, 01:24 AM

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#9 Old 07-15-2009, 01:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Hey I remember you. I used to post as Cassiopeia, and I was probably more of a lurker when you posted last. In any case, welcome back!
#10 Old 07-15-2009, 04:58 AM
Veggie Regular

nice to hear from you; I've wondered how you were doing
#11 Old 07-15-2009, 07:46 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

I remember you! I'm glad you're doing well.

Rock climbing??!! Y-y-you don't mean the real, scary kind outdoors that's depicted on Clif bar wrappers, instead of the make-believe indoor rock wall climbing (which I'd like to try actually)?

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#12 Old 07-15-2009, 07:48 AM
Ankle Biter

Hi Tess! We do miss you - you were always the voice of reason with a great sense of humor! I'm glad you are well.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#13 Old 07-15-2009, 05:18 PM
Veggie Regular

So good to see everyone! Poppy, I love your photo! Is your doggy biting your nose or kissing it???

Tom, we don't have any real rocks in Houston, so the vast majority of it is in gyms... which is scary enough when you first start doing it. We have one gym with a 50-foot wall, and clinging to a crag 50 feet up is no joke whether it's in a gym or out in the great wide open. But I have made a couple of trips out to some of the few places in Texas that have rocks-- one of the most prominent is Enchanted Rock-- and yes, it is a totally different experience. On my first climb, I got to the top (panting in terror the whole way), and turned and looked down to realize that I was a solid 200 feet above the valley floor below, and hawks were cruising by BELOW me. Either way, you should totally try rock climbing. It's fun, and a great whole-body workout.

I also highly recommend kayak touring. I first tried it that time I visited you in Seattle, Tofu, and I had so much fun I decided I had to find a way to do it at home. Our scenery may not be as beautiful, but we have warm waters, and it's easy to paddle year-round. Of course, we also have alligators.

Tofu, I tried to look you up on Facebook, but I got like 1000 results and I couldn't tell which one was the real you. I'll PM you.

I dunno about getting back to the Tip of the Day thread. I don't have as much spare time as I used to. My new boss (I say new, but I've worked for him for 2.5 years now) seems to think I'm talented or something and keeps relying on me. Guess I should have kept his expectations lower, rats! but somehow I seem to find time to post quizzes and crap on Facebook so I must have time somewhere.

And yep, it's from A Wrinkle In Time. I love when people recognize it!
#14 Old 07-15-2009, 05:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey Tesseract! Good to see you again! Find TNS on Facebook so I can add you to mine too.
#15 Old 07-16-2009, 09:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi Froggy! Will do.
#16 Old 07-16-2009, 10:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi Tess - it is great to see my favorite fellow Texan VB'er back -even if just to say hello!

I thought of you last year during Ike - hope you and yours were all okay.

Your tip of the day thread was great - didn't you have a cute guy of the day thread too (or if it wasn't your idea I seem to remember you posting in it alot! haha)

Take Care. If you are ever in Austin let me know - I know all the best veg places in town.
#17 Old 07-17-2009, 08:14 AM
Ankle Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post

So good to see everyone! Poppy, I love your photo! Is your doggy biting your nose or kissing it???

Kissing!

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#18 Old 07-17-2009, 06:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey spice! We had no power for 2 weeks after Ike, but we were very fortunate-- no damage at all. Thanks for asking.

Yeah, I was the mistress of the Hunk du Jour thread, that was fun. I also recall that someone challenged me on it and claimed that I would get mad if the guys did a Babe du Jour thread, so I started one myself! Funnily enough, it was mostly women participating...

I'll definitely let you know if I'm headed to Austin anytime soon. I don't make it up that way too often.
#19 Old 07-18-2009, 10:23 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

I was thinking that indoor rock climbing is safer, because I watched some people doing it and there was someone on the floor holding the other end of a sort of pulley from the ceiling that would catch the climber if they lost their grip. But someone would have to learn to do it without the lifeline before they ventured outdoors.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#20 Old 07-18-2009, 11:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Actually, that's not exactly true. Outdoor rock climbing is very safety-oriented, and that system you've seen in the gym, which is called top-roping, is also used outdoors. That's all I've ever done outdoors so far. Then there's lead climbing, which is where you go up without a top-rope (ie, a rope that's already strung to the top of the route and back down), but even when you lead climb, you're carrying a rope with you which is tied into your belay partner at the bottom, and as you go up you clip in every few feet (how far apart depends on the route), either to permanent bolts or using gear that goes into cracks in the rock. On group trips, the way it usually works outdoors is someone will lead a route, and once the rope is up, everyone else can climb it on the top-rope.

Generally only the craziest and/or stupidest climb without any rope at all, known as free soloing. It can be done by experienced climbers on routes that are very familiar and well within their abilities, and I've seen guys do it at Enchanted Rock, but for the most part it's a very bad idea.
#21 Old 07-18-2009, 11:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome back! I remember you from back when I was a noob
#22 Old 07-18-2009, 12:19 PM

hello, im new so i definately don't remember you.how long have you been a vegetarian? and how long were you on weight watchers?

anyways glad you'r back =]
#23 Old 07-18-2009, 01:09 PM

Welcome back!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page