Starting high raw tomorrow - why am I feeling anxious? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-23-2007, 12:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi all,

I've been trying for a while to get into a healthy whole foods way of eating, mainly for health and well-being. I do have about 15 pounds to lose but I know if I'm eating healthy and not binging on junk food (a major problem in the last year and a half because of so many stressful personal uncertainties) that weight will come off more or less.

I've tried several times to go raw but couldn't stick with it. I think that's mainly due to my "all or nothing" way of thinking that had me convinced if I didn't go 100% right away I wouldn't get any benefits. Now I know that for me that's not a good way to go, especially since I've had so many food addictions in the past.

So tomorrow I'm going to go high raw, eating as many raw veggies and fruits as I can, good raw fats (though not overdoing it there) and just try and have fun with it.

I've been planning this all week with menus, shopping list, and today I went and bought everything I would need.

So why a I feeling apprehensive?

It's not that I don't think I'll be eating much healthier. I've shifted back and forth between vegetarianism and veganism this past year and a half and until now I was doing a high protein high dairy kind of diet but I just wasn't feeling right about eating animal products anymore. Before that I was eating a vegan diet but I also ate a lot of whole grains and sugars (not from fruit) which I didn't feel right with either.

I guess it's just a scared feeling to go raw again, even though it's not 100%. I still plan on eating a bit of tofu and sprouted grain bread because I'm worried about protein (yes, I know protein is overrated, but I'm used to getting 60-70 grams a day and going totally raw puts me at half that amount) and I know I can't give up bread just yet.

Anyone else feel this kind of anxiety before starting on a raw diet, whatever percentage of raw you're on? It's not a dread or a lack of enthusiasm - I know I want to do this. It's just something I can't put my finger on (call it the pre-raw blues )

Tam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-24-2007, 08:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Well...

I'm not raw, so sorry to the raws if I say something wrong. However, I'm attracted to the rawdism and I been archiving for a lot of time several stuff regarding a raw live style.

I opened a post called I'm a vegan highly interested in learning about raw!!! Need a lot of help!!! and I got very nice responses from there... that should help you.

What can I say... eat lots of veggies and fruits. Try to vary the types. I would personally recommend broccoli in special Broccoli has iron+vitamin C (your body will assimilate a lot better the Vitamin C if combined with iron)

You must hear your body. That is very important. At the beginning, your hunger will be screwed and you will feel hungry within the firsts weeks, but after that, it will be gone.

If you feel you do not want more nuts, for example, stop with the nuts for that day (you may need to force your body at the beginning, as it will be screwed)

I would recommend you, to start your day with a smoothie. Start with only fruits (banana, strawberry, grapes and a bit of raw brown sugar -should be raw... not sure, has raw on his name) Do not start with a vegetable smoothie, you can try it sometimes, but do not start with it. I love veggies, but I couldn't drink the veggie smoothie... tasted horrible.

For lunch, get a thunder salad!!! With tons of veggies (use different leafy greens, all kinds if possible) along with broccoli, tomato, celery, cabbage, zucchini, pepper... ) Use a small amount and not everyday of the following: celery, onion and garlic. These are very irritant, and should be taken very sparingly. Nut's on the side or mixed with the salad: peanuts, sunflower seeds, flax seeds (this ones only mixed... as alone can be hard to eat)

For dinner... well... I'm not raw so this is a bit hard, but, there are tons of raw recipes here, in the Raw Foods raw foods section. But make sure to include lots of veggies, fruits and nuts. Eat fruits separate of food (leave 15-20 minutes) as you will assimilate it better if you do by that way.

Regarding snacks... you can have some fruit smoothies and there are some delicatessen to give yourself as a prize! (I saw on a Wild Oats, Vegan Raw Chocolate - The problem... $11) Get some of those, just to prize yourself and you will get motivated.

Also, if you have time, try to go to the gym, to ride your bicycle or to run... whatever you like more.

You need to struggle you muscle... I do not know were do you live, but, if you live in cold places like Chicago, do not go raw for now (I'm frank with you) as after fighting the snow and the wind chill... you will send to hell a fresh salad and you will eat a very very warm healthy veggie soup (which is not raw)

I think I covered most of your concerns, also, read both links I provided you.
#3 Old 11-24-2007, 09:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Chicagoan, "Raw" brown sugar isn't "raw" by raw foodist standards. Besides, it's never necessary to add sugar to a fruit smoothie!

Tammay, what you are planning on eating sounds like a sensible way to eat. Perhaps you are feeling apprehensive because you have committed to stopping binging and that overwhelms you? Binging is usually done in response to stressors, so taking away your coping methods will likely cause more stress in the short-term, but be of help in the long-term.

Best of luck!

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-24-2007, 05:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Knew it hahaha. That is why I said, "Maybe" on that

Which sugar is raw?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page