I want to go raw.... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-27-2007, 11:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm seriously considering going raw. I've been looking around online, mostly at www.oneluckyduck.com and the benefits seems to be amazing. But I have a few questions....

What would I need to get as far as equiment goes? Like a blender or food processor? I've also heard about deyhydrators, it seems complicated and expensive.

I'm allergic to citrus fruits and i've noticed that a lot of the recipes seem to have oranges and lime or lemons in them. Could I do this with it?

I'm just getting that feeling that I had when I first became vegan. I wasn't healthy and the thought of meat made me sick because of the animals dying and my body needed the change to heal itself. Now i'm feeling that way again, my body needs to heal itself....if nothing else detox and start over again.

Anyway, if you all could answer my questions and/or give some suggestions i'd be grateful.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-28-2007, 12:18 AM
Veggie Regular

I would say the most essential applicance to have for doing raw food is a good blender. You could get away with just having the blender and no food processor.

Dehydrators are not necessary to do raw. They are sometimes called the 'raw foodist oven'.

Juicers are another raw food applicance that are not necessary but if you want to drink alot of juices - they are good to have.

Another good thing to have is a coffee grinder to grind up nuts or seeds or raw chocolate. But you could grind these in your blender too.

For the citrus fruits, unless the fruit is the main part of the recipe, you may be able to skip that ingredient. I am not sure of a sub for those. If you are trying to get the recipe sweet like for oranges, there is agave nectar. It is like honey but vegan and you can buy it raw.

For sour for the lemons, you could try a bit of apple cider vinegar maybe.

There are lots of other fruits and tons of raw veggies to eat on the raw diet. Plus, there are raw nuts and seeds and sprouts.
#3 Old 03-28-2007, 10:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I've started pricing blenders, vita mix seems to be the best but its so expensive. But from what i've heard it will last forever....

I'll start next week, just eating raw veggies and fruit but nothing fancy yet. Thanks queenfluff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-29-2007, 05:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Check out Blendtec blenders as well, just for comparison before buying a Vitamix. Looks like you can't go wrong with either one.
#5 Old 03-29-2007, 02:40 PM
Veggie Regular

i'd love a vita-mix, but the price is just too much for me.

i've had this cheapo (20-30$) blender from hellmart for a while that is great for my green smoothies.
#6 Old 03-30-2007, 11:42 AM

i'd love a vita-mix, but the price is just too much for me.

Ever look on eBay for them? I found some great deals on older VitaMix blenders there. They do seem to last and last, so used ones might work out ok.
#7 Old 04-04-2007, 10:49 AM

Hi there,

I agree, a dehydrator is definitely not necessary. However when I was first raw I did use my food processor alot for simple dips and desserts. I got it for $5.00 at the goodwill. I also often see nice blenders at thrift store. You really don't need an expensive one.

I'm sensitive to citrus. I can only have a little bit at a time and not very often. I eat mostly fruit and never feel limited. There are so many other delicious fruits. :-) This diet is very abundant!

Wishing you all the best,

Audrey

www.rawhealing.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page