Can't eat raw fruit without getting awful bellyaches! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Shallot

#1 Old 05-19-2015, 11:16 AM

Can't eat raw fruit without getting awful bellyaches!

I'm a transitioning veggie but decided to post here because I might get more help here.

I used to eat a lot of fruit, usually an apple a day, and also fruit juice. I developed IBS which means I cannot even eat half an apple without my belly cramping making me feel ill. I'm finding it hard to eat healthily and I usually end up eating biscuits and chocolate instead just so I can avoid cramps.

Obviously, an apple is better for me than biscuits, however I don't know how to make myself eat more fresh fruit. I can eat cooked veggies and fruit but anything raw (even nakd bars) I can't handle.

Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-20-2015, 08:11 AM
Veggie Regular

dont eat foods that hurt you. Switch out raw apple for applesauce, or a fruit cup. Juice would be good too.

Edited- whoops I see this is in the transitioning to raw part of the forum. Maybe try some dried fruits, like banana chips, or raisins.

Last edited by melimomTARDIS; 05-20-2015 at 09:58 AM.
#3 Old 05-20-2015, 08:56 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm not sure we're all cut out for a raw diet. In the summer I eat 50% raw but in winter it's more like 20% raw.

There are some items (Kale!) that give me a terrible time when raw but are fine cooked. I'd suggest slowing down the transition and eat some more cooked foods for a while.
melimomTARDIS likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-20-2015, 03:16 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymoore View Post
I'm a transitioning veggie but decided to post here because I might get more help here.

I used to eat a lot of fruit, usually an apple a day, and also fruit juice. I developed IBS which means I cannot even eat half an apple without my belly cramping making me feel ill. I'm finding it hard to eat healthily and I usually end up eating biscuits and chocolate instead just so I can avoid cramps.

Obviously, an apple is better for me than biscuits, however I don't know how to make myself eat more fresh fruit. I can eat cooked veggies and fruit but anything raw (even nakd bars) I can't handle.

Any advice?
Hi sonnymoore and welcome

I think cooking your produce might be the way to go until your digestion calms down. Baked apples are delicious (cut in half, core, fill holes with a dot of vegan butter, and cinnamon sugar.) Sauteeing greens in a little oil or liquid, on a high heat, is quick and easy. Eating stirfries, soups, etc might be easier.

Have you tried probiotics for your gut btw? They can help.
#5 Old 05-20-2015, 05:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I have IBS as well, and there are just certain fruits and veggies that are impossible for me! Apples (but applesauce is okay) and pears come to mind especially. I think it's because of their high fiber content, but some think it is due to specific sugars present in these foods.

Check this blog out: http://blog.katescarlata.com/fodmaps-basics//
I tried the FODMAP diet to try to help with my IBS. I was working with a registered dietitian at the time, and it was VERY hard to follow. Not all the foods listed where triggers for me (gluten, for instance . . . phew!!!), but some totally were (apples and pears happen to be high in FODMAPs). I can tolerate all sorts of berries, watermelon, bananas. Stress also makes my IBS flare up badly, so it's hard to tease out whether it is the food making me ill, or the stress. For me, it's mostly stress-induced.

Good luck! IBS sucks big time, but it's possible to control.

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page