Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Naturebound
  • 1 Post By Naturebound
  • 1 Post By Tiger Lilly
  • 1 Post By leedsveg

#1 Old 09-15-2014, 05:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Where do you get your Iron on a raw diet?

Not to sound like a carnist....But where DO you get your Iron?

I was looking over Freelee's 'Raw Till 4' diet to get some inspiration for meals and I just couldn't for the life of me work out how she was meeting her iron needs.

It's about to be summer here in Australia and I'd like to use that as an excuse to start working out more. It also means I'll be eating more fruit because it's more readily available (plus I need to eat more fruit). But, with working out comes higher Iron needs, which I barely make on a strict vegetarian diet anyway (no eggs, dairy or animals).

So, I was wondering....Are there any fruits that pack a punch when it comes to Iron? Or is the stacks of vitamin C the key to absorbing the Iron?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-16-2014, 08:44 AM

Freelee eats a lot of dates which have a decent iron content. So do potatoes and dried figs, which seem to be her staples.

Basically any fruit and veggie should have some iron if grown in fertile soil. That said leafy greens are one of the best veggie sources. Consuming them with vitamin c will enhance absorption. Legumes will pack even more, along side more protein which is good if your doing any muscle building.

Last edited by Vanilla Gorilla; 09-16-2014 at 08:48 AM.
#3 Old 09-16-2014, 10:00 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

Broccoli, leafy greens, dates.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-17-2014, 01:10 AM
Beginner

Huge lists and an explanation of heme vs non-heme iron here:
http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/iron.php
#5 Old 09-17-2014, 06:01 AM

I believe you can enhance the iron absorbtion of leafy greens by cooking them, or as said above, serving them with lemon or orange or something citric right?
#6 Old 09-17-2014, 10:18 AM

I don't what kind of fruit contains more iron, but i know for sure that you can take it by eating legumes (especially peas, beans and lentis) and you can assimilate it even better if you add vitamin C (for example if you eat lemons, orange or avocado in the same meal). I hope i was helpfull, sorry for my bad english but i'm italian
Bye!
#7 Old 09-17-2014, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

"Where do you get your Iron on a raw diet?"
Just a reminder of the topic!
#8 Old 09-17-2014, 08:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I thought maybe it was the dates! I have started putting 2 dates in every shake I make, which has really added a nice degree of sweetness. I'm definitely not opposed to doing that more often!

But as Silva points out, yeah I am trying to look at raw versions of Iron more than anything else. It's just that summer in Australia is really, really hot (I assume, having never been out of the country). And so a lot of what I'll be eating in coming months won't necessarily be cooked because that heats the house up even more. In previous years, I just haven't eaten a lot through the summer months, which isn't good for me. I'd like to change that this year
#9 Old 09-18-2014, 02:20 AM
Veggie Regular

In addition to dates, figs are another raw plant food with some iron. And pumpkin and sesame seeds too. Leafy greens like raw kale and spinach are good options as mentioned above. Right now I am picturing a big spinach salad with chopped dates, fresh squeezed orange juice and orange slices, bell peppers, and sprinkled with sesame seeds.
Tiger Lilly likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#10 Old 09-19-2014, 06:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
In addition to dates, figs are another raw plant food with some iron. And pumpkin and sesame seeds too. Leafy greens like raw kale and spinach are good options as mentioned above. Right now I am picturing a big spinach salad with chopped dates, fresh squeezed orange juice and orange slices, bell peppers, and sprinkled with sesame seeds.
Spinach salad, you say....I've never had it! But you're right, I should try it!

And I do love sesame seeds. I'm not great with nuts and seeds (I don't digest them properly a lot of the time. Or maybe that's because when I get my hands on them I gorge myself ). But I think they'd be a really nice little topping!

Thanks for the suggestion!
#11 Old 09-19-2014, 06:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lilly View Post
Spinach salad, you say....I've never had it! But you're right, I should try it!

And I do love sesame seeds. I'm not great with nuts and seeds (I don't digest them properly a lot of the time. Or maybe that's because when I get my hands on them I gorge myself ). But I think they'd be a really nice little topping!

Thanks for the suggestion!
You are welcome!

Another spinach salad I make sometimes is raw spinach with sprouted quinoa, alfalfa sprouts, mushrooms, raw beets, fresh cranberries, and chopped walnuts. No need even for a dressing as the juice and tartness from the beets and cranberries makes it flavorful on it's own, but a splash of balsamic vinegar really brings it out. I can see throwing in some cooked black beans with this in place of walnuts for a more substantial salad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Raw Spinach cranberry beet walnut sprouts mushroom sprouted quinoa salad 2.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	4554  
Tiger Lilly likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#12 Old 09-20-2014, 12:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
You are welcome!

Another spinach salad I make sometimes is raw spinach with sprouted quinoa, alfalfa sprouts, mushrooms, raw beets, fresh cranberries, and chopped walnuts. No need even for a dressing as the juice and tartness from the beets and cranberries makes it flavorful on it's own, but a splash of balsamic vinegar really brings it out. I can see throwing in some cooked black beans with this in place of walnuts for a more substantial salad.
OoOoooooh basically, anything with mushrooms in it, I will try. I've always loved them!

Told my partner about your first suggestion, he's definitely up for it. So I'll be trying these once the weather gets properly warm.
Naturebound likes this.
#13 Old 11-04-2014, 05:12 PM
Banned

Dates=cavities&eventually tooth loss.

Sufficient levels of Vitamin D are way more important than Iron intake since Vitamin D is required for the absorption of minerals.

Veganessentials carries Vitamin D at a very reasonable price if you live in North America.
#14 Old 11-06-2014, 02:10 PM

As also said above, Iron is in: pumpkin seeds, grain sprouts, almonds, walnuts, cashew nuts, pistachio nuts, raisins, dates, artichokes.

While tea, coffee, cola, alcohol, sugar and salt reduce iron absorption, even if they're not raw food.
#15 Old 11-07-2014, 10:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalamin View Post
Dates=cavities&eventually tooth loss.

Sufficient levels of Vitamin D are way more important than Iron intake since Vitamin D is required for the absorption of minerals.

Veganessentials carries Vitamin D at a very reasonable price if you live in North America.
Dates cause cavities? I've never heard of that. Ever.

Vitamin D isn't an issue for me. I live in Australia and walk everywhere. (I also make sure to drink a soy milk fortified with vitamin D, just because the downside of living in a place where sunlight and vitamin D is so readily available, is all that sun cancer....So I practise a lot of sun safety).

Iron is actually an issue for me though, that's why I'm asking. My levels are low, not bad, but low and I'd like to see them get better.
#16 Old 11-08-2014, 07:09 PM
Banned

Do you use sunscreen?
#17 Old 11-09-2014, 04:45 AM
Veggie Regular

There are MANY causes of low iron. I code medical charts at work (mostly infusions/injections/cancer etc) and one of the common treatments I code are infusions for iron deficiency anemia. Reasons for it run the gamut from kidney disease to malabsorption from Celiac disease or post gastric bypass to Crohns disease, chemotherapy and various cancers, side effects of other immunosuppressive drugs (for conditions like rheumatoid arthritis etc) and many different types of anemia the patient may already have. Low vitamin D is only one small reason for it, but many patients have normal healthy levels too as evidenced by their labs (I have to look through all this info because often doctors are nonspecific in their consult documentation about underlying causes but insurance companies demand this info in order to reimburse). And most of the patients are not even vegetarian (they are routinely asked by the doctor during the initial consult).

Personally I would work with my doctor to find an underlying cause if indeed it is an issue that is causing symptoms and health problems or it is just a concern. If there is an underlying issue, increasing iron in the diet or even supplementing with D isn't going to solve the problem unless it is from lack of those things themselves (in which case i would have a followup test after a few months of supplementation and increased consumption). Though it is always good practice to make sure you are consuming adequate iron in the diet anyway along with vitamin c and other micro/macronutrients.

#18 Old 11-09-2014, 06:04 AM
Banned

Gluten sensitivity is another one as you pointed out.

I say Vitamin D because from experience of having the feeling of a steel rod as a spinal cord; like a silverback gorilla. This feeling only occurs from adequate sunshine on the trunk of my body to produce high levels of Vitamin D in conjunction of consuming leafy greens or by the intake of 3500-5,000 IU of Vitamin D supplements during the winter in conjunction of consuming leafy greens.

VDR for the absorption of Iron
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3235806/

Vitamin C works by Iron reduction; its a quick fix, not a long term solution.
#19 Old 11-11-2014, 07:03 AM
Veggie Regular

No wonder that Lawrence of Arabia, after eating all those dates, eventually went "gummy" in his later years.
Naturebound likes this.

Last edited by leedsveg; 11-11-2014 at 07:11 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page