how many calories on raw till 4? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By elsie182
  • 1 Post By a Balloon a Balloon
  • 1 Post By azerea_02

#1 Old 07-27-2014, 08:49 AM

how many calories on raw till 4?

Hi! I'm thinking of trying raw till 4 30 days challenge and I want to know how many calories per day you guys recommend? I've read a lot about this, I watched Freelee but I'm only more and more confused. I also need to lose some weight so keep that in mind. Thank you so much for your advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-27-2014, 09:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Hello Hellcat!

There are many online calorie calculators, this one for example. Energy requirements vary a lot depending on height, weight, gender, age, activity level and goals, so I don't know how many you should eat... Make sure to ALWAYS eat more than your BMR, even if you need to loose weight, as this is where your body goes into starvation mode and will begin to shut off some vital functions.

I'm not entirely sure how the raw til four thing affects your body, so hopefully someone else can answer that. Raw food (assuming it's mostly fruit and veggies, with some nuts and seeds) in general tend to be low in calories, but high in carbs and most vitamins. Probably you will have to watch your intake of protein, fats, B12 and zinc.

Hope this was some help!
#3 Old 09-11-2014, 09:56 AM
Beginner

Raw till 4 is growing! Wow! I was doing it (and still do) years before it had a name :P
Go to Cronometer.com (free website) that shows your vitamins and minerals and calorie intake. Calcium may seem "low" simply eat oranges, figs, raisins, dates and 2 heads of romaine lettuce or iceberg lettuce everyday. Calcium and protein counter have been distorted over the years because the food pyramid has always included meat and dairy.

If you are eating high carbohydrate, lots of fruit, steamed potatoes, steamed rice (with no oil), and some lettuce on the side, then you should not have to worry about your fat intake.

Freelee eats around 2500-3000 calories a day as a 110 lb adult female. I am 5'6" 130 lbs and eat around 2500 calories a day.
Eat 10 bananas for breakfast in a smoothie with 1 cup of water. That equates to 1000 calories. For lunch, have another banana smoothie or have 20-30 dates (whole or in a smoothie). That equates to 400-600 calories. Raisins and figs are also carbohydrate rich fruits. I don't recommend eating lots of dehydrated food because it irritates the teeth, but I recommend focusing on eating bananas. 90% of monkeys diet is fruit particular bananas.
Have lots of fruit, as much as you can eat. It's really not about calorie counting. Have seasonal foods, oranges, clementines, grapefruit, apples during the winter. Have 10+ oranges for one meal (you'll probably feel full but hungry after 30 minutes). Have plenty of strawberries, peaches, or pears during the Summer.
For dinner, have steamed potatoes, around 4 large potatoes or 6 small to medium sized with lettuce on the side. Or have spaghetti with no fat marinara and veggies sauce, or have rice with veggie not cooked in oil.
Go to my website @ Vegans Living off the Land for more information about what to eat, how much to eat, how to live for free, and more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-11-2014, 11:41 AM
Veggie Regular

If you need to lose weight, just follow the plan, eating until you are satisfied (good and full), and then stop eating. Trying to calculate and count is very very inacurrate. Try to eat the food in its whole form (for example eat the bananas whole in the morning, instead of blending them).
Vegan Dave likes this.
#5 Old 09-11-2014, 01:10 PM

Hellcat91, what the others have posted is correct. It's difficult to reccomend calorie intake not knowing anything about you. Every one is different. I am a high carb high raw vegan. I eat mostly raw till dinner and sometimes all raw. I'm male, 5'9" @ 140lbs. I eat between 2500-3500 calories. It depends mostly on what my activity level is and what type of activity. Also keep in mind I'm trying to maintain my weight. Not loose or gain.

The most important thing is to make sure your getting enough vitamins and minerals. That alone will dictate most of your calories. Then look at your macros. I also use cronometer. Not so much anymore as I've been doing this for a while. It's an idespensable tool for the beginner. Make sure your getting enough calories daily. It can be easy to under eat.

Unfortunately Freelee doesn't put much emphasis on micronutrients. That's pretty much the only part of her diet advice that I think is lacking. It's important to eat variety. Most primates eat over 150 different types of plants in a year. They also eat bugs for things like protein, b12, vitD etc... So don't be fooled and cover your basses.
#6 Old 09-11-2014, 05:03 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

OK.....now I'm confused.

I'm a vegan, trying to go 80 - 90% Raw.

I could lose a few pounds.....if I stopped the chilled cereal malt beverages, that would help!!

The multitude of books I've read say to discount "calorie counting"......but then I stumbled onto the CRONOMETER APP. Which you guys reference.....Hmmmmmm.

I'm mostly Raw.....about 60%.....wanting to go for 80 - 90%.

Should I eat a whole banana....or a smoothie? Is there a difference?

I'm also reading the 80/10/10 book, that seems really logical. Basically, I have cut out all processed foods, and am aiming for a high percentage of Raw foods. Up until this point, I did not think "counting calories" was a big deal. I just had some extensive blood work done, and all of my results were very good. I really don't want to start counting something that might not matter.

I am open to all opinions, so please fire away!!!

BTW - I live in a location that gets cold as schidt.....so the occasional miso soup is in order. So, the very best I can do is 90-95% Raw.....not too bad, considering....

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#7 Old 09-11-2014, 06:56 PM

Most unused calories will be stored as fat. Some will get used in other ways. You can't sit around and consume 5000 calories and expect to not gain weight. There are things you can do to offset fat storage from calories like keeping your metabolism up and eating a low fat diet.

80/10/10 is not a weight loss diet. It is a high energy, healthy way to eat. Freelee's raw til four diet is similar. Except her macros are even more strict at 90/5/5.

It doesn't really matter if you chew or drink your bananas. They both have advantages. Chewing mixes food with enzymes in your saliva. These help break down and digest your food. It's also a mentally stimulating and pleasing activity. Blending furthur breaks down your food. Yet if you don't "chew" mouth fulls of your smoothie, and just chug it, it could cause digestive upset. Blending usually does help you absorb more from your food as it is broken down into such small parts. Ever seen someone hold their gut and say "ohh, I ate too fast!"
#8 Old 09-11-2014, 07:06 PM

You'll notice Doug's weekly menus at the back of the book are set up at 2000 calories/day. If your active and you follow the menu you will loose weight. You would have to be a pretty small person not to.

Just to make things more confusing for you. In the China Study, it was found that those who ate a high carb, low fat diet could eat about 20-30% more calories without gaining weight. Colin stated that the body tends to store fat when one eats a higher protein, higher fat diet. When fat and protein are low the body tends to burn extra calories as body heat. You may have heard the expression "fat burns in a flame of carbohydrate."? I personally beleive this as I am extremely active and I workout hard and often. I feel best with a minimum of 10% of calories from fat.
#9 Old 09-12-2014, 07:51 AM
Beginner

cronometer.com is for a reference to make sure you're getting certain vitamins everyday. you don't need to eat a lot of vitamin a rich foods everyday but eat fruits and vegetables that will cover the micronutrients
#10 Old 09-12-2014, 07:52 AM
Beginner

Vanilla Gorilla, thank you for mentioning the China Study. EVERYONE SHOULD READ THIS! It's online for free to read.
#11 Old 09-12-2014, 08:07 AM
Veggie Regular

I think it's important to take a step back and look at the bigger picture to avoid the anxiety and stress of focusing on small details like calories and whole vs blended, etc. 80/10/10 is a fantastic resource, but there's also the starch solution, forks over knives, engine 2, pcrm, dean ornish, terry shintani, nathan pritikin, etc.

The main message is simple:

keep it plants
keep it whole
eat til full

along with proper hydration, rest, and exercise.

That's it!

This whole micro-managing, control-obsessed attitude is just not helpful. Who cares if you have smoothies. Who cares if you eat fruit after cooked starches. Who cares if you juice your greens. Just listen to your body and do what works for you. The raw food movement has instilled this borderline fear of not abiding by all of it's rules. And recently Freelee and DR have been trying to steer people away from this rules and fears mentality and touted the message of staying carbed up, plain and simple. They used to be a lot more stringent, but they have learned for themselves not to be so focused on controlling every aspect of their diet and are now sharing this new, liberating approach to health. Focus on their more recent videos
LedBoots likes this.
#12 Old 09-12-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azerea_02 View Post
I think it's important to take a step back and look at the bigger picture to avoid the anxiety and stress of focusing on small details like calories and whole vs blended, etc. 80/10/10 is a fantastic resource, but there's also the starch solution, forks over knives, engine 2, pcrm, dean ornish, terry shintani, nathan pritikin, etc.

The main message is simple:

keep it plants
keep it whole
eat til full

along with proper hydration, rest, and exercise.

That's it!

This whole micro-managing, control-obsessed attitude is just not helpful. Who cares if you have smoothies. Who cares if you eat fruit after cooked starches. Who cares if you juice your greens. Just listen to your body and do what works for you. The raw food movement has instilled this borderline fear of not abiding by all of it's rules. And recently Freelee and DR have been trying to steer people away from this rules and fears mentality and touted the message of staying carbed up, plain and simple. They used to be a lot more stringent, but they have learned for themselves not to be so focused on controlling every aspect of their diet and are now sharing this new, liberating approach to health. Focus on their more recent videos
I totally agree about keeping it simple, and not getting too caught up in the small details. I have one caveat though. If you want optimum health you have to asses your micros. 80/10/10 as it's laid out in the book falls short on many vitamins, minerals and amino acids. The more one limits their variety and quantity the more deficiency's one will encounter. Some diets like 80/10/10 and raw til 4, rely on people exercising regularly. This warrants eating a larger amount of calories. Which in turn increases your nutrient intake. Not everyone exercises.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page