Carbs! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By azerea_02
  • 1 Post By sillybunnns
  • 1 Post By LuciBow
  • 1 Post By xPigeon Swarmx

#1 Old 04-12-2014, 10:10 PM

I was making a food plan for my own personal raw vegan challenge! I noticed that the amount of carbs I would be consuming seemed pretty high (around 250g). Is that too many carbs? Would it slow down my weigh loss in anyway? I've always been told that cabs are bad

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-13-2014, 12:31 AM
Veggie Regular

That really depends on how much food you need to eat in a day.

Carbs deserve a spanking. Bad, dirty, naughty carbs. Brb, going to go spank some carbs with my tongue into my cheek.
#3 Old 04-13-2014, 09:06 AM

You definitely need some carbs.  There are different kinds of carbs too.  Some people think sugar is bad, and fruit has lots of sugar, so fruit is bad.  That is obviously very dumb.  Eating a Twix bar isn't the same as eating a banana.

The carbs in fruit are more simple in molecular structure than the complex carbs in a candy bar, or other processed food.  Therefore, your body can digest them and use them much more efficiently.  Therefore, fruit carbs gives you much needed, lasting energy (without any cholesterol or other bad stuff). 

Even though fruit is good for you, remember it still has calories.  If you eat too much fruit you can gain weight.  Keep your calories under 2000 and you should have plenty of energy and feel great.

Beautiful Fruit Jewelry Made from Real Fruit Slices! http://www.etsy.com/shop/fruitjewelry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-13-2014, 01:22 PM

Thank you! I plan on wating around 1200-1400 calories a day so hopefully I don't gain any weight1

#5 Old 04-13-2014, 02:11 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veggie3112 View Post

Thank you! I plan on wating around 1200-1400 calories a day so hopefully I don't gain any weight1

That seems like a very small amount of calories.
#6 Old 04-14-2014, 07:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

That seems like a very small amount of calories.

Yes, especially on a raw vegan challenge. Raw fruits and veggies are so much easier to digest, your body will burn through it a lot more efficiently, and you'll likely end up starving by the end of a couple of days. And the hungrier you are, the more likely you will be to fall off the wagon. To succeed on raw, you need to make sure you get enough calories, no restriction!

Don't worry about the carbs contributing to weight gain. Carbs have gotten a bad rap because of the fat that usually comes in the same package, but that people only view as "carby" foods, such as muffins, doguhnuts, cake, bagels, etc. It's only when you combine carbs with fat that it contributes to weight gain. THe fat makes everything cloggy and sticky and your body can't burn through the carbs fast enough and ends up storing it as fat. But if you're eating all raw, you won't be getting any excess fat (don't rely on nuts or avocadoes), so go ahead and eat those carbs to your heart's content! :)

#7 Old 04-30-2014, 10:38 PM
Plant/Fungi based.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veggie3112 View Post

When eating raw you should eat at least 2000 calories and hopefully more. You won't gain weight from carbs. I eat around 500 grams of carbs per day and I'm 110 pounds. People make the mistake of under eating when going raw then that leads to malnurishment and people thinking the diet is unhealthy.

#8 Old 05-06-2014, 08:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandemicAcolyte View Post

When eating raw you should eat at least 2000 calories and hopefully more. You won't gain weight from carbs. I eat around 500 grams of carbs per day and I'm 110 pounds. People make the mistake of under eating when going raw then that leads to malnurishment and people thinking the diet is unhealthy.

This is my biggest challenge doing raw. I suck at eating. Im so lazy when it comes too food. And  I am not a moring eater at all. Im also very inconsistant with feeling hunger. Some days I am absolutly starving all day. Some days I could go till 5pm with just water. I dont even feel the slightest bit hungry. So being consistent with eating that much calories everyday would be very difficult. I guess I could go all freelee the banana girl and make giant 1000 calorie smoothies. I much prefer drinking calories as apposed too actually chewing food anyways.

#9 Old 05-06-2014, 09:51 PM
Plant/Fungi based.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellephants3 View Post

This is my biggest challenge doing raw. I suck at eating. Im so lazy when it comes too food. And  I am not a moring eater at all. Im also very inconsistant with feeling hunger. Some days I am absolutly starving all day. Some days I could go till 5pm with just water. I dont even feel the slightest bit hungry. So being consistent with eating that much calories everyday would be very difficult. I guess I could go all freelee the banana girl and make giant 1000 calorie smoothies. I much prefer drinking calories as apposed too actually chewing food anyways.

That's the best way to get in calories without going cooked.

#10 Old 05-07-2014, 06:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelw View Post

You definitely need some carbs.  There are different kinds of carbs too.  Some people think sugar is bad, and fruit has lots of sugar, so fruit is bad.  That is obviously very dumb.  Eating a Twix bar isn't the same as eating a banana.

The carbs in fruit are more simple in molecular structure than the complex carbs in a candy bar, or other processed food.  Therefore, your body can digest them and use them much more efficiently.  Therefore, fruit carbs gives you much needed, lasting energy (without any cholesterol or other bad stuff). 

Even though fruit is good for you, remember it still has calories.  If you eat too much fruit you can gain weight.  Keep your calories under 2000 and you should have plenty of energy and feel great.

Fast fermenting fruits won't necessarily give you lasting energy. Taken in excess, they will make your pancreas work overtime to control blood sugar level - converting the excess to fat. And of course fruit juices, without there fibre, will have a higher glycemic load.

#11 Old 05-07-2014, 01:23 PM
Plant/Fungi based.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Trunks View Post

Fast fermenting fruits won't necessarily give you lasting energy. Taken in excess, they will make your pancreas work overtime to control blood sugar level - converting the excess to fat. And of course fruit juices, without there fibre, will have a higher glycemic load.

If you eat lower fat causing your muscle cells to not have myocellularlipids (fat inside) they will burn up the sugar more efficiently. But I recommend people start out with starches if they are transitioning from a high fat diet. Becuse if you previously ate a high fat diet and start eating tons of sugar it can cause issues.

#12 Old 05-07-2014, 01:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Trunks View Post

And keep in mind that fructose, which generally makes up about half the sugar content of fruit, doesn't require insulin to be metabolized, so fruit is actually gentler on the pancreas...

PandemicAcolyte likes this.
#13 Old 05-30-2014, 11:24 AM
Beginner

carbs are guilty by association with FAT

Despite propaganda around carbohydrates from the meat and dairy industry, you need 80% of your cals coming from carbohydrates, 10% fat, 10% protein. Protein is in everything and I can easily get 40-50g of protein a day just by eating bananas. Fat is the REAL issue when gaining weight (and Carbs are guilty be association).
Limit fats such as avocados, nuts, seeds, and eliminate oil.
I eat 3000 calories a day coming from carbs: bananas, dates, other fruit, rice, potatoes...and I've been doing this for several years (on top of veganism for 9 yrs), and even losing weight.
Go to cronometer.com to track your vitamins/minerals. Eat 2 heads of lettuce a day or every other day for Calcium, or oranges, dates, figs and mangoes for Calcium. If you're not 100% raw vegan then choose to have some Almond milk fortified with Calcium/b12.

Many VEGAN doctors are advocates of CARBS, such as Dr. John Mcdougall of the Starch Solution, Dr. T Colin Campbell, Dr. Neal Bernard, Dr. Doug Graham, Dr. Caudill Esselstein, and so many more vegan doctors agree that it is FAT intake you should limit (not carbohydrates).
Need help going raw? Here is a link to what I eat: http://veganslivingofftheland.blogsp...uld-i-eat.html
bigpaparn likes this.
#14 Old 05-30-2014, 11:27 AM
Beginner

I would have psychological issues on 1200 calories. I eat 3000
Michael phelps eats something like 6000 calories a day.
#15 Old 06-17-2015, 07:38 PM

The amount of calories a person needs daily depends on their height, weight, bodyfat% and level of activity.

Generally speaking if you want to lose, you want to take your daily intake and cut it by 10-20%, but no more than that. And if you wanna gain add 10-20%

So if you normally eat 2000 a day and are trying to lose, cut it down to 1800-1600. But arbitrarily cutting down to a low number is not good for you, it puts a strain on your body and will make you miserable.

Just imagine the reverse, a person eating 2000 a day who wants to Gain weight, and one day just jumping to 4000. It would be an awful experience trying to force-feed yourself that much when you're not used to it. Even if you're drinking all of them it won't be easy.

Weight change is supposed to be a gradual process! It might seem like it would take forever to gain/lose a certain amount- but keep in mind that once you finally get to where you want to be ... all you will need to do is maintain! And it will be easier to maintain something you are used to rather than a drastic change. (Kinda like going from 4 cups of coffee a day to 0 cups or smoking a pack a day to no smoking)
Naturebound likes this.
#16 Old 06-18-2015, 04:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillybunnns View Post
Despite propaganda around carbohydrates from the meat and dairy industry, you need 80% of your cals coming from carbohydrates, 10% fat, 10% protein. Protein is in everything and I can easily get 40-50g of protein a day just by eating bananas. Fat is the REAL issue when gaining weight (and Carbs are guilty be association).
Limit fats such as avocados, nuts, seeds, and eliminate oil.
I eat 3000 calories a day coming from carbs: bananas, dates, other fruit, rice, potatoes...and I've been doing this for several years (on top of veganism for 9 yrs), and even losing weight.
Go to cronometer.com to track your vitamins/minerals. Eat 2 heads of lettuce a day or every other day for Calcium, or oranges, dates, figs and mangoes for Calcium. If you're not 100% raw vegan then choose to have some Almond milk fortified with Calcium/b12.

Many VEGAN doctors are advocates of CARBS, such as Dr. John Mcdougall of the Starch Solution, Dr. T Colin Campbell, Dr. Neal Bernard, Dr. Doug Graham, Dr. Caudill Esselstein, and so many more vegan doctors agree that it is FAT intake you should limit (not carbohydrates).
Need help going raw? Here is a link to what I eat: http://veganslivingofftheland.blogsp...uld-i-eat.html
I personally can not go that low in fat. I usually average 15% fat and that feels about right for me. I felt like I had less strength and stamina when I experimented with lower fat intakes, and the weight falls off when my fat goes that low. I am a low normal weight right now but I got to insanely low weight by cutting fat intake down while not really reducing food intake that much. I have no problem if it works for someone else to consume 10% fat.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#17 Old 06-18-2015, 01:21 PM
Beginner

I tried to do the no oil thing and I just couldn't. I know Esselstyn, McDougall and Campbell all say no oil, but I just can't cook with no oil. I reduce it instead. Most recipes seem to have ridiculous amounts of oil. Sometimes five tablespoons! I guess they don't think somebody's going to eat most of the pot of food in one meal, but they've never met me. I usually eat at least two portions to what cookbooks and packages call one serving.

I usually use about a teaspoon per called-for tablespoon of oil.

Other than that, I don't worry about fat percentage in my diet, as long as the fats are from whole foods. I concentrate more on getting the vitamins and minerals I need. Do I eat mostly carbs? Heck yes! I just don't worry about the percentages. Some doctors and nutritionists say 80/10/10 is too low, some say it's too high. The war of the macro nutrients goes on and on.

I've been meaning to check out a Stanford study I heard about. I guess it showed that how much protein a person needs might be genetic. I feel like I need a decent amount of protein because I have a hard time gaining and maintaining muscle mass.
Naturebound likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page