Are Frozen Fruits Raw - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-30-2013, 07:58 PM

I pan on becoming a raw vegan on January 1, 2014. Before I go grocery shopping I was wondering if Frozen Fruits considered raw?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-30-2013, 08:00 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Yepp.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#3 Old 01-01-2014, 01:19 AM

So it's okay have frozen fruits while on a raw diet? I've read that damage to living foods must occur when they are frozen. Cell walls expand, and often burst when frozen, diminishing vitality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-01-2014, 09:51 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veggie3112 View Post

So it's okay have frozen fruits while on a raw diet? I've read that damage to living foods must occur when they are frozen. Cell walls expand, and often burst when frozen, diminishing vitality.

Yes it is okay to eat then on raw.

The fast they're frozen the better. Frozen vegetables are actually often more nutritious than fresh. Frozen tend to be picked at the peak of ripeness and flash frozen, essentiall locking in all the nutrients. Fresh which are not local are picked before they are ripe, causing a stop point for nutrients and vitamins, often travelling a long way and getting bruised , etc.

So frozen are often more nutritious than fresh unless the fresh is local.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#5 Old 01-01-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

Yes it is okay to eat then on raw.

The fast they're frozen the better. Frozen vegetables are actually often more nutritious than fresh. Frozen tend to be picked at the peak of ripeness and flash frozen, essentiall locking in all the nutrients. Fresh which are not local are picked before they are ripe, causing a stop point for nutrients and vitamins, often travelling a long way and getting bruised , etc.

So frozen are often more nutritious than fresh unless the fresh is local.

Thank you so much, is this the same with frozen vegetables?

#6 Old 01-17-2014, 02:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Thank you so much, is this the same with frozen vegetables?

Yes.  It's the same with fruits and vegetables.

Don't worry about cell walls breaking- that's only a concern for human tissue transplants (like, if you're getting a donor organ). ;)

Everything gets obliterated in your stomach anyway :)  The same happens in a powerful blender too.

The main concern with raw foods is preventing the carcinogenic damage done in high temperature cooking.  Damage from low temperatures is pretty much just structural on a larger scale, not really molecular in the sense that raw food dietary principles are concerned with- it doesn't produce carcinogens or degrade nutritional content.

#7 Old 01-18-2014, 11:04 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think that, while fruits are not blanched in boiling water before being frozen, vegetables are. Blanching- boiling vegetables briefly and then cooling them in cold water to prevent them from cooking further- is done to inactivate the enzymes which would slowly cause the frozen vegetables to lose quality during frozen storage. I don't know that much about raw food, but I suppose this brief, partial heating before freezing would mean they're no longer raw?

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#8 Old 01-18-2014, 11:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think that, while fruits are not blanched in boiling water before being frozen, vegetables are. Blanching- boiling vegetables briefly and then cooling them in cold water to prevent them from cooking further- is done to inactivate the enzymes which would slowly cause the frozen vegetables to lose quality during frozen storage. I don't know that much about raw food, but I suppose this brief, partial heating before freezing would mean they're no longer raw?

I don't think fruits are ever blanched.  Not all vegetables are, but the exposure is very brief (mainly it cleans them and kills bacteria, and as you said reduces enzyme activity for storage).

Personally, I consider frozen vegetables to still be raw for nutritional purposes.  The exposure is a low temperature and it's very brief- too small to cause the negative damages and nutrient loss ascribed to more lengthy heating (cooking proper).

If you practice raw foodism for spiritual reasons, maybe this would count as not raw?

I don't know.

In my book they're raw.  YMMV

Same thing with nuts, which have had steam used to deshell them, if you bite them in half you can see a really small area around the outside that's ever so slightly different color.

I still call them raw.

I hope nobody attacks me for that, it might be a controversial view here?

#9 Old 04-07-2014, 02:50 PM

There is an older thread on frozen fruit: https://www.veggieboards.com/t/110750/are-frozen-fruits-blanched.

Personally I believe most are probably blanched, but if you want to be sure you need to contact the company. I buy organic fruit when it's on special and freeze it to make sure it's really raw.

When it comes to nuts I buy unpasteurized nuts. Although other nuts might seem 'raw'. they've been heated to a high temperature which means it would have killed some or all of the enzymes and vitamins. I wish it would say when you buy them, but as always you always need to do your own research.

https://
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for stone ground, bean-to-bar, vegan, white, milk and dark, caramel and raw chocolate
Like our new Facebook page: https://
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cost international shipping!

#10 Old 04-09-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:

I have read an article about it they're are just as nutritious and found that freezing produce does not destroy its nutrients.

Read here: 

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/reasons-buy-frozen-fruits-veggies/story?id=20683879#2

Get Fit from Within 
Nazafit Online Fitness and Nutrition - CHEK Holistic Nutrition and Lifestyle Coach, Master personal trainer, IPAC Physique conditioning coach and whole live food nutrition expert

http://www.nazafit.com.au/

#11 Old 07-27-2015, 02:42 PM

I'm not sure about the science of this, but in my experience, frozen fruit just doesn't taste as good. And from what I've heard, the better fruit tastes, the more nutritious it is for your body. I'd say trust your tastebuds!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
#12 Old 07-28-2015, 12:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Caring about our health is caring about our very state of being and future which is a very good thing to be seriously concerned about making the most of.

http://TRUEHEALTHHAPPENS.COM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page