How to keep calcium levels high on a raw diet? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-11-2008, 10:56 AM

Hi, first of all congrats to everyone who is managing to stay raw - it's a great achievement and I'm sure you're all seeing the benefits.

I've been reading a lot of people's raw journies and I'd love to try it myself, but there are a few issues which worry me a bit. The main problem is calcium - I already have poor bone density and I'm only twenty-two. I have been told to get at least 1300mg of calcium a day from food sources (plus take a supplement), but I've no idea how to achieve this on a raw diet. I also have IBS which means that there is no way I can digest raw broccoli, kale, etc. (believe me I've tried and the results weren't pleasant)

Since these are the best raw calcium sources I'm a bit lost - I'm at a high risk for osteoparosis as it is. Really a menu plan for how to get 1300mg a day would be ideal but I'd welcome any help or advice on the matter. I tried going raw once before but gave up because I was so scared of what would happen to my bones.

Many thanks in advance

~Jessica~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-11-2008, 01:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Maybe raw isn't right for you right now Jasmiana. What you really need to watch is the ratio between alkaline ash foods and acid ash foods in your diet. When you eat more acid ash foods, your body steals the calcium from your bones in order to maintain the pH of your blood plasma. All animal foods, grains, and legumes acidify your body. Fruits and vegetables do not, with the exception of cranberries.

When your body is acidic, it doesn't matter how much calcium you eat. It will be used to maintain the pH of your blood before it ever gets to your bones. Ironically, the countries with the highest consumption of animal milk products also experience the highest rates of osteoporosis, because the acidity of animal milk foods cancels out the calcium they contain.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#3 Old 06-11-2008, 01:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Why would you want high levels of calcium? Your body can only absorb so much.

A balanced Ph level plays a larger role in bone health than the amount of calcium you consume. Reducing stress and cutting out acid-forming foods will do a lot more to help maintain a neutral blood pH and is probably more important than the amount of calcium you ingest. Exercise and lifting weights will help too.

Raw sesame seeds are a good source of calcium (or raw tahini) as are leafy green vegetables (how are you with spinach or swiss chard?)

Anyway good luck if you decide to go raw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-11-2008, 02:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Spirulina has 300% more calcium than whole milk

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#5 Old 06-11-2008, 06:20 PM
Beginner

You can be almost raw but allow yourself non-raw calcium sources like soy milk. Good luck!
#6 Old 06-11-2008, 07:49 PM
Veggie Regular

This time I can't agree SomebodyElse...

Raw is for everybody...

Being raw will help her to improve her problem. I recommend a lot of spirulina and kale (spinach reduces somewhat calcium absorption) Green smoothies will help you a lot.

Also, I recommend you MSM... this has nothing to do with bone density, but it enhance your bone joins and cartilages.

Improve alkaline foods and antioxidants, eating plenty of fruits and greens will help you for good. I think walnut is also the most alkaline nut.
#7 Old 06-11-2008, 08:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percy View Post

This time I can't agree SomebodyElse...

Raw is for everybody...

The reason I disagree is that Jasmiana has IBS. Her digestion is compromised, and she has said herself that she can't digest raw kale. There are some disease states that will not be helped by a raw diet if the body cannot absorb the nutrients in raw vegetables that are difficult for even healthy people to digest. Some people need a much longer transition, that's all.

If you are interested in supplementation, Jasmiana, I would suggest the amino acid glutamine, rather than MSM. Glutamine is used by the digestive tract in healing its damaged tissues.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#8 Old 06-11-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Franklin(remixed by manchuria) View Post

A mineral saved is a mineral earned.

#9 Old 06-11-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeezycreezy View Post

Reducing stress and cutting out acid-forming foods will do a lot more to help maintain a neutral blood pH and is probably more important than the amount of calcium you ingest.

Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Franklin(remixed by manchuria) View Post

A mineral saved is a mineral earned.

#10 Old 06-11-2008, 09:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini View Post

Spirulina has 300% more calcium than whole milk

I find difficulty in this statement.
#11 Old 06-12-2008, 08:15 AM

Wow, thanks so much for all your replies.

I never knew that maintaining pH balance was important - I'll certainly pay attention to that in the future. I'm vegan anyway so I don't take in any acid forming animal products, but it's interesting to know that simply drinking litres of calcium fortified rice milk won't solve the problem (can't handle too much soy ). Unsurprsingly the doctor was horrified by the fact I'm vegan and her solution was to include ridiculous amounts of dairy. Needless to say I won't be seeing her again.

Spinach and swiss chard are fine in small quantities - I think I'll try slowly upping the raw percentage in my diet and see how I feel. The problem is I'm very much an all or nothing person and I really should focus on making changes gradually. I'll get some spirulina and try out some green smoothies to start with.

Thanks again!
#12 Old 06-12-2008, 09:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by abroadinSacto View Post

I find difficulty in this statement.

Why? I'm talking proportionally. The milk will have more because you don't drink a glass of spirulina.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”

#13 Old 06-12-2008, 10:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Jasminia, remember doctors are not required to take classes in nutrition. The majority of doctors don't know jack about the subject. However, there are many doctors that do. I suggest checking out a Naturopathic Doctor.

#14 Old 06-14-2008, 07:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

The reason I disagree is that Jasmiana has IBS. Her digestion is compromised, and she has said herself that she can't digest raw kale. There are some disease states that will not be helped by a raw diet if the body cannot absorb the nutrients in raw vegetables that are difficult for even healthy people to digest. Some people need a much longer transition, that's all.

If you are interested in supplementation, Jasmiana, I would suggest the amino acid glutamine, rather than MSM. Glutamine is used by the digestive tract in healing its damaged tissues.

Well... then that may be a problem. How about if she tries to get kale in green smoothie form... There is nothing to digest there... I have no idea about IBS... but she can try that before getting any decision! It's supposed that blended greens do not need digestion, as the blender does the work

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page