Lack of Vitamin D - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-21-2008, 08:00 PM

I eat mostly Raw, usually over 80%. A friend gave me a nutritional analysis for 4 days while I went 100% raw.

Conclusion, I had 0% of the RDA for vitamin D.

So, on doing research for Vitamin D I find that there is little way for raw, or even vegan to get this vitamin unless you want to spend time in the sun.

I don't spend much time in the sun(maybe I'll change that), I am wondering if anyone else does anything or has any special vitamin D food?

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-21-2008, 08:09 PM
Banned

D2 (Ergocalciferol) is vegan, no? you can take a supplement.
#3 Old 05-21-2008, 08:19 PM

Supplement.

I haven't done that for so long I forgot about them.

If I have to then I will.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-21-2008, 08:29 PM
Banned

i don't know if you have to (i'm not a nutrition expert), perhaps there is another option and someone will pop up with it. its just nice to know that there is a backup pill out there thats at least vegan, even if its not raw.
#5 Old 05-21-2008, 08:42 PM
Veggie Regular

besides sunlight and supplements, i don't know of anything else vegan.
#6 Old 05-21-2008, 09:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Spend time in the sun... lol
#7 Old 05-22-2008, 09:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoan View Post

Spend time in the sun... lol

i've read that there are a few problems with relying on this method, including:

-your distance from the equator (the further you live from it, the more exposure you'd need. canada, the uk, and most of the US is pretty far from it)

-the colour of your skin (the darker it is, the more sunlight you need to be exposed to, to make enough vitamin d)

-sunscreens and skin cancer (wearing them blocks absorbsion, not wearing them is asking for trouble)

so from what i can work out, if you're pasty white and live near the equator, go out in the sunshine and you'd get more vit d, in less time, but probably skincancer to go with it... and if you're black and live in northern canada, you aint gonna get anywhere near to enough vit d, and you'll probably get frostbite trying, and maybe skin cancer anyway.
#8 Old 05-22-2008, 11:11 AM
Veggie Regular

I doubt the skin cancer on a healthy raw diet... It's somewhat sun's issue... true... but... why does it happens only to humans??? Lions are in the Savannah the entire day lying on the sun... no cancer for them. For some minutes a day of sun... you won't get cancer either.
#9 Old 05-22-2008, 11:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoan View Post

I doubt the skin cancer on a healthy raw diet... It's somewhat sun's issue... true... but... why does it happens only to humans??? Lions are in the Savannah the entire day lying on the sun... no cancer for them. For some minutes a day of sun... you won't get cancer either.

it doesn't just happen to humans. cats get skin cancer- its the second most common type of cancer amongst cats. white cats that spend a lot of time outdoors are especially prone to squamous cell carcinoma on areas with limited fur covering, like their ears, nose and eyelids. i doubt a raw diet would protect them either.
#10 Old 05-22-2008, 11:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Cats do not work. They eat artificial human made food. My cats eat natural organic food, but it still processed...

Lions and tigers are "cats" too. Where is their cancer?
#11 Old 05-22-2008, 11:38 AM
Banned

are we going to play this game with every variation of cat there is? do i need to go and find stats for ear cancer levels in wild lions, from some wildlife medicine website, and then are you going to argue that a wild cat may have ventured towards the edge of a tourist location, and eaten a mcdonalds burger thrown out in someones garbage at some point in its distant past, or shall i point out that people aren't cats right now?

le sigh.
#12 Old 05-22-2008, 11:42 AM
Veggie Regular

OK... whatever... sun created life and now the sun it's destroying. What a shame... stupid sun... we can't trust it.

Then the best recommendation is to get a damn pill
#13 Old 05-22-2008, 11:46 AM
Banned

tsk tsk- nature not being entirely our friend and radiation not always being a brilliantly healthful thing, and everything. glad you understand how it is now.
#14 Old 05-27-2008, 01:03 AM

Sun kills virus.

If sun does any sort of harm to you, you are virus, not human being anymore! (j/k)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page