Grow Your Own Produce! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-16-2008, 08:56 AM

I have been buying fresh organic mint that is packaged, sealed and sold at the local grocery chain.

The other day, I went a little bit out of the way to the healthfood store and bought a potted mint plant. The thing that caught my eye was that the quantity was about the same for potted or packaged, but the plant was over a dollar cheaper.

I took it home and had my son plant it in the ground, and now I have a growing plant that I am slowly picking leaves off for my tahini salad dressing.

My mom got a good idea and planted a bunch of stuff in a 2x6 plot on the side of her house. I calculated that she has over 20$ worth of swiss chard ready to eat after less than two weeks. I am not including all the other veggies which probably brings it close to a 100$ of fresh organic produce.

So, suddenly it hit me.

What we need is a way to encourage more people to grow their own(just like the old days).

Is there any sort of a store that promotes this type of idea?

I mean like a grocery store / gardening store that sells their gardening plants and supples expressely for people who want to grow some of their own food.

It is like a flower store, but with no flowers. Instead the things sold at the store you take home and plant in the earth, but without the intimidation of working from seeds.

Or, maybe you dont have to plant everything, just take it home and eat it.

Wonder what the USDA would say about that?

Any thoughts, comments, advice or good ideas?

Kevin Brazier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-18-2008, 03:35 PM

I'm not sure about a store that would do that, but you can do a farm share CSA here in Colorado where you pick the food (yours plus a lot more) and get some food in return for your help.

I live in a rental house so I am going to grow my plants (tomatoes, peppers, don't know what else yet) in containers outside. And what I don't grow I can get at the farmers market.
#3 Old 04-20-2008, 07:38 PM

I found an advert in the local paper here in Tampa that was telling people to grow their own organic food in their own garden.

Here is their website.

http://wormsway.com/

I have been hearing about a lot of food shortages around the world.

Maybe growing your own organic garden is a good skill for everyone to learn.

Kevin Brazier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-20-2008, 11:54 PM
Beginner

I'm finally moving to an apartment that has a balcony, so I'm hoping to have a small planter of herbs. If I can, some salad greens and vegetables will be awesome, don't know what they'd be though.
#5 Old 04-22-2008, 11:49 AM

Herbs are good.

I have mint, basil and rosemary

Kevin
#6 Old 04-22-2008, 06:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I grow all my mostly used herbs, since the "fresh" packaged ones are very expensive for how much I usually use. I also grow a small variety of peppers and tomatoes since I use those a lot too. I can't imagine how much money I am saving!

It would seem ideal if everyone grew their own food, yet I do not see it happening since not everyone has the time to water and take care for them. I know people who cant even care for houseplants that only need water once a week.

Also, since most people don't eat 100% seasonally it may be difficult to go without what you cant grow in your area, certain times a year.
#7 Old 05-19-2008, 04:09 PM

I LOVE to grow stuff...it always amazes me when you put this tiny little seed in the ground and after a little time and a bit of water, it gives you FREE FOOD! I prefer to grow things from seed, because its cheaper, but it is also harder. That is a great idea for the grocery store/living plants store. It would be a great business idea...anyone in Baltimore want to partner with me to start one up? what with this bad economy, we should be able to convince some land-owning customers to plant more food.

OH also dont forget the environmental and social benefits to growing stuff! Think about this: the reason food prices are so high right now, as I understand it, is a) because gas prices are so high and b) more food crops are being diverted for biofuels. So for this reason, there is just not as much food to go around, and of course the poorest of the poor suffer most from this. SO if we Americans all plant some food in our backyards, not only will we be saving ourselves money, but we'll also be saving some gasoline and reducing our burden on the food system, making more available, thereby making prices go down, which benefits the poor. Feel free to point out flaws in my reasoning- but just think if everybody grew 10% of their own food...somebody please do the math for me but I think it would help things alot!
#8 Old 05-22-2008, 11:07 AM
Veggie Regular

How cool would it be if everyone now decided to use edible landscaping instead of just ornamental stuff!
#9 Old 05-22-2008, 01:01 PM
Veggie Regular

^^ That would be nice. Yet, I believe alot of people prefer their Arborvitae and Rose bushes over plants that require attention. Sometimes I wonder why some people even have yards, when they do nothing but mow them.
#10 Old 05-23-2008, 07:32 PM
Beginner

I love love LOVE having a garden, as relatively small as it is (I live in the city) but it's big enough for the two of us. We tore grass out of a big section of our yard, so less for my husband to mow and I get my own little space to play with - win, win! Eventually we want to landscape our whole back yard so that we have no mowing to do there. Plus, if done right, it will look so cozy and inviting. Anyhoo, along with some flowers I'm growing tomatoes, hungarian yellow wax peppers (I love to grill or broil these lightly and put them on veggie burgers), chives, rosemary (have a HUGE plant - it's been there forever, I think) and a big ol' bunch of basil. I just made my first batch of pesto last night for dinner and it's incomparable to the store-bought stuff! I think it'd be great to learn how to can, but it also feels really great to have extra from our garden that we can share with our neighbors!
#11 Old 06-01-2008, 05:03 PM

Yes, I think everybody, if they can, should try to grow something, it gives such a lot of satisfaction for a start.

I grow herbs which are great for varying cooking and mostly free: parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme, marjoram, mint, chives, basil, fennel. I've got runner beans, sugar snap peas, broccoli and salad crops in my small patch of two raised beds.

Even people who haven't got a garden can grow windowsill herbs and also, more importantly, sprout their own beans and seeds - so healthy, available all year round and very cheap and nutritious.
#12 Old 06-13-2008, 08:30 PM

The way things are going now, we're going back to the way things were. People will be growing their own food, riding their bikes and walking more, resourceful with water, and even burning candles in their homes to cut down on electricity.

I'm game for a garden, we had one in our backyard growing up. We always had fresh vegetables. They taste so much better as well. I'm going to get into it and get all the information that I need to produce a flourishing garden right in the backyard. It has many benefits like the feeling of feeding your family healthy, also giving it to neighbors as a gift of love.
#13 Old 06-14-2008, 04:33 AM

There is a booth at the local farmer's market that sells potted herb plants. Garden centers and greenhouses also sell herb plants. Don't be intimidated by starting from seeds. The local library has lots of gardening books, and there is lots of online information.

I think that everyone as far as they are able should grow as much as they can, even if it is only a windowsill, balcony, patio, etc. I live in the country and am blessed with a large area to grow vegetables, fruits, herbs. Gardening is one of my passions. Even when I lived in an apartment with a patio, I had a garden. Then we bought a small house with a small yard and turned the whole yard into garden space and also used the back porch for container gardening. To tell the truth, I miss that small house and garden. It was lots of fun coming up with ideas to maximize production out of a small area.

Here is a great website: http://www.pathtofreedom.com/

The Bountiful Container by Rose Marie Nichols McGee and Maggie Stuckey is a great resource for container gardening.

Happy Growing!

bluebird
#14 Old 06-14-2008, 08:12 PM

Thanks bluebird.
#15 Old 06-15-2008, 10:39 AM
Veggie Regular

bluebird, I found them on Youtube just yesterday. Amazing family with great ideas. They have inspired me to really put some work into my "garden" and start trying to produce my own food.

My only issue with gardening is bees. I love to get down in the dirt and love being outside, but I'm highly allergic to bees and my little yard (16' x 15') is full of them during the spring and summer. I've been getting my husband to go out and water the plants when there are bees out but this means they don't get watered as often because he forgets sometimes. Is there anyway for someone like me who is allergic to bees to garden safely? I can't do much indoors because we literally have only 4 windows, one of which cannot be used for any kind of windowsill garden.

But as far as producing your own food, I think it is something that everyone should at least try. My dream is to be able to produce 50% or more of my diet from my garden when I have a house with a real garden.
#16 Old 06-21-2008, 06:13 PM
Beginner

I have a spot in my yard that I was thinking about putting in a vegetable garden, it seems to be the only thing I am missing in the yard.

Does it matter of how much shade the area should get on the garden? I have about 25 tree's total on my yard, but the area of interest has a huge shade tree just behind it, so I believe it's covered by shade atleast 40% of the day.
#17 Old 06-23-2008, 12:25 PM

We have been having such cool weather that nothing is doing very well in our garden! They said on the tv news that most produce is at least three weeks late compared to where they usually are this time of year! However, this is NOT our only late spring and it will warm up and the garden will produce an abundance for a short while until it freezes again in August or September. Last year I think it was even later before we had the first killer frost. Maybe it will be that way again.
#18 Old 06-25-2008, 09:23 AM
Beanitarian

My local food bank is giving out gardening kits this summer to encourage people to grow their own food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferret_Mommy View Post

Is there anyway for someone like me who is allergic to bees to garden safely?

For me to have a home garden, I'd need to build a raised bed b/c the soil is so bad.

I'd also need fences to keep deer and rabbits out. (You wouldn't believe how many dozens of plants died b/c of the soil, deer, etc.)

So I was thinking, what if I built wooden slat type fencing and then lined it with screens, including a slat/screen roof? It would keep the bees out too.

Would that work for you?

Beanitarian.
#19 Old 06-25-2008, 06:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawVeganMom View Post

How cool would it be if everyone now decided to use edible landscaping instead of just ornamental stuff!

i'd like that a lot.
#20 Old 06-25-2008, 07:02 PM
Veggie Regular

If you keep the bees out, some plants will not bear fruit. Some need to be fertilized by bees or they won't set seed. I'm sorry I can't tell you which, though.

Sorry, that was in response to imagineaa. I forgot to quote it.
#21 Old 07-24-2008, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bios View Post

If you keep the bees out, some plants will not bear fruit. Some need to be fertilized by bees or they won't set seed. I'm sorry I can't tell you which, though.

Sorry, that was in response to imagineaa. I forgot to quote it.

I live in an apartment and I have tomatoes, peppers and mint growing on my balcony right now...however, my pepper plant has only produced one pepper and I'm not seeing as many bees around. I went over to Home Depot to find some flowers that would attract more pollinating insects and found a 'butterfly' deep pink Penta plant that had bees all over it. Of course I waited until they got their fill before I picked one up but hopefully it will help with my pepper and tomato production.

acjazz28
#22 Old 01-07-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halo_zero View Post

I'm finally moving to an apartment that has a balcony, so I'm hoping to have a small planter of herbs. If I can, some salad greens and vegetables will be awesome, don't know what they'd be though.

i'm thinking about doin' that as well. i'm in an apartment too. i have always wanted a garden ever since i was a kid. my grandparents had a big garden at the back of their house. i would go over there with my mom and aunties and pick veggies and watermelone all the time. i loved it. they even had a plume tree. we would all gather outside and pick from it. LOL. my grandparents would make liquor from them. i miss those days.
#23 Old 01-15-2010, 02:20 PM
VMM

Times have changed since the days of old...gardening skills were passed down from generation to generation. Now basic gardening, for most of the population, is a lost art.

I recently watched a dvd by the Food Garden Foundation which is based in Africa. They have a 15min video with everything you need to know to plant a backyard food garden. They recommend a scratch and plant method where you basically dig a 3x6x1' pit then fill the bottom with rubbish like paper, grass food scraps... Then add back on the top soil and plant away. I wish I could show this video its really simple - but informative! Ill look into a way to put it on youtube or something.

I Heart Veggies!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page