Thoughts from a friend of mine. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-08-2008, 08:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I just received a letter from a friend of mine, who had been dabbling in raw. She said something that struck me - I've never tried raw, and have no interest in it, but I'm pretty much neutral on how I feel about it, so this is not (contrary to what you all may expect from me) a thread looking to pick a fight.

Anyway, I'll give you the quote about how she ultimately felt about it, and why she didn't like it - why it distracted her maybe?... and I'd like to hear your thoughts on it.

'Being raw is all about you while being vegan is about animals.'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-08-2008, 08:42 PM

Depends on what kind of vegan you are. Raw is a diet and most people go raw to lose weight or to live more healthy. I'm a health vegan, so my diet also "about me". Most people go vegan for morals, so there is some truth in her quote. Although, some vegan raw foodists might be raw for themselves and the animals.

When it comes down to it, though, it sounds like she's just making an excuse to get out of it. I don't blame her, though. I only lasted raw for about 5 days.
#3 Old 04-08-2008, 08:44 PM
Veggie Regular

eh, if that's how she feels... -shrug-

being raw vegan is a wonderful thing as far as environmental stuff goes. i know a few RVs who are animal rights activists and stuff, too.

of course there are some RVs who are just raw for health as are some vegans. so it's just an individual standpoint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-08-2008, 08:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna View Post

eh, if that's how she feels... -shrug-

being raw vegan is a wonderful thing as far as environmental stuff goes. i know a few RVs who are animal rights activists and stuff, too.

of course there are some RVs who are just raw for health as are some vegans. so it's just an individual standpoint.

I think she was raw - and vegan - for health mostly...

How is raw a beneficial thing for the environment? Using less energy for cooking? That would be a bit of a stretch, no?
#5 Old 04-08-2008, 08:57 PM
Veggie Regular

not all raw foodists do this, but i know lots that try to buy most (if not all) of their food locally, organic, not much packaging. that sort of thing.
#6 Old 04-08-2008, 09:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

not all raw foodists do this, but i know lots that try to buy most (if not all) of their food locally, organic, not much packaging. that sort of thing.

This is true - but that would be something that is an auxiliary mindset, no? As in many people could and can do that, and it doesn't have much to do with raw?

- - really not trying to be difficult and argumentative...
#7 Old 04-09-2008, 12:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I think it's also the fact that most raw foodists aren't useing energy to cook, They aren't using much packeging, No processed stuff, They aren't giving as much to the "evil companies". Of course, The dehydrating, Jucing and blending/processing defeats the purpose of no energy to cook... I don't really consider those people to be eco-raw. Just health-raw. I'm not raw, But I do buy local, Organic and minimal packaging.

That's a good quote, I agree to a certein level, However, Many vegans are that way just for health, So you can't lump them all together.

I am eating about 50-70% raw just for my own selfish desire to be healthy and attractive. Heh. How hypocrite-like of me. I'm still in it for the animals and the planet though!
#8 Old 04-09-2008, 05:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Ok - my thoughts are these.

I think it is absolutely true that 'being raw is all about you', but I don't think that was meant as a bad thing. Of course it's all about you, as it's a diet, right? That makes sense. And is not a negative thing. I don't think she meant it like that. The way I understood it was that because being vegan (if it is for AR reasons) has a driving force behind it, which makes it easy to follow; you are always thinking of someone else. As adding in the raw changed the diet to be for personal reasons, it kind of overshadowed, and distracted from the goal of veganism. Does that make sense? It makes sense to me that that could happen - not that that's the inevitable result, but I can see the extra, constant need to focus on specific foods, for a different reason being something that could take you a bit further away from the mindset of veganism.

To clarify - this is not saying that I think raw is bad - I don't. I don't really get it, but like I said before, I am pretty much neutral on the concept. Nor do I think it's detrimental to veganism. That is not what I'm saying.
#9 Old 04-09-2008, 09:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatoneguy View Post

Depends on what kind of vegan you are. Raw is a diet and most people go raw to lose weight or to live more healthy. I'm a health vegan, so my diet also "about me". Most people go vegan for morals, so there is some truth in her quote. Although, some vegan raw foodists might be raw for themselves and the animals.

When it comes down to it, though, it sounds like she's just making an excuse to get out of it. I don't blame her, though. I only lasted raw for about 5 days.

Raw foodism is not a diet! It's a lifestyle like vegan.... Thinking it's a diet, it's wrong... and going raw for some weeks and going back to cooked... it's unhealthy and your body can revel.
#10 Old 04-09-2008, 10:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookle View Post

So she stopped being raw because she doesn't like herself?

Don't get me wrong. I understand what she's saying. I'm just not sure I understand how that is a reason to stop being raw.
#11 Old 04-09-2008, 10:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

How is raw a beneficial thing for the environment?

While there are still plenty of packaged raw foods out there, generally speaking being raw almost forces you to shop predominantly in the produce section and so you buy a lot less packaged and processed foods. I found a significant decrease in the amount of garbage and recycling I put out every week when I went raw.
#12 Old 04-09-2008, 10:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

As adding in the raw changed the diet to be for personal reasons, it kind of overshadowed, and distracted from the goal of veganism. Does that make sense?

Not really. Veganism is veganism whether cooked or raw and I don't see how not cooking your food would detract from that. Does that make sense?
#13 Old 04-09-2008, 01:05 PM
Beginner

How can it not be both? It seems like being vegan, or being raw vegan can be both for yourself and for animals. (I shudder to think what raw omni would be like.)

"Now that I'm not cooking my food, this lifestyle is all about me, #@%! the animals!" <-- Doesn't make sense to me. Either one you're doing your best to not contribute to animal cruelty/exploitation.
#14 Old 04-14-2008, 09:09 PM

Quote:

Not for me.

I stopped eating meat because of yoga and meditation.

I went to raw from there for better energy to practice kung fu and so far it is working.

And, for what it is worth, I started my vegetarian thing in Taiwan.

Lived there for 16 years.

Going vegetarian in Taiwan is all about Buddhist beliefsor yoga lifestyles.

Kevin
#15 Old 04-15-2008, 12:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Being raw is caring more about the environment and actually making more of an impact than just being a vegan. Since going raw I have reduced packaging by A BUNCH!

Also when you go raw people notice the awesome benefits and gain interest in it so it helps others as well.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page