Are 25 cent grapefruits going to give me cancer? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-31-2008, 07:15 AM
Beginner

Silly title, and kind of a silly phobia, I'll admit. I've been trying to eat more raw, and the only thing I've found at the local "super"market (it's really tiny) that I can stomach a lot of is grapefruit. They're super cheap at 25 cents each! That's really neat, but I have to wonder what gets sprayed on them that makes them so cheap.

Please tell me it's just wax!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-31-2008, 08:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Buy organic if you're worries about pesticides and what not. And just for the record, they can't spray anything on the inside of the grapefruit, so unless you eat the peel, you should be okay. =P But seriously, buy organic.

veganGO -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
forum for vegan activists.
#3 Old 03-31-2008, 01:49 PM
Veggie Regular

They're probably just marked down in price because they are in season. I've found bags of cranberries at the grocery store for .10 before because they were in season and they wanted to get rid of them. Same goes for a lot of other fruits and veggies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-31-2008, 04:19 PM
Veggie Regular

They probably just need to sell them. Our local grocery store is always selling fruits and veggies at reduced prices of 10-99 cents because they aren't selling enough at full price and need to get rid of them before they spoil, They'd rather get less of a profit than lose money leting them rot.
#5 Old 04-05-2008, 08:02 AM
Veggie Regular

^^^Yeah, I often check around at the little grocery stores that are around here for fruit and veggie deals. It's goofy to see how low they will go in order to sell their produce before it spoils because most of the families out here just buy meat and canned veggies.
#6 Old 04-05-2008, 01:05 PM
Veggie Regular

They will give you cancer if they aren't organic

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#7 Old 04-05-2008, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animosity View Post

They'd rather get less of a profit than lose money leting them rot.

#8 Old 04-05-2008, 06:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Strong fruit such oranges, watermelons, etc can be non organic... there are no worries...

However, soft fruit or greens, is a must to be organic.
#9 Old 04-05-2008, 11:24 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini View Post

They will give you cancer if they aren't organic

I hope you're joking...

The organic ones are about 50 minute drive away and cost something like $2 each.
#10 Old 04-06-2008, 12:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilrecurring View Post

I hope you're joking...

The organic ones are about 50 minute drive away and cost something like $2 each.

Well grapefruits should be more ok. You peel the grapefruits and don't eat the rind which is the part that would be sprayed with the chemicals, so obviously it's not as bad as eating a strawberry or something, but some of the chemicals can leech through after time I believe.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#11 Old 04-06-2008, 04:44 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilrecurring View Post

I hope you're joking...

No, the poster was quite correct. They will give you cancer. Organic ones will give you cancer, too. Everything gives you cancer these days, even stress, so stressing about it is out too. You really can't win, can you?

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#12 Old 04-24-2008, 07:33 PM

Soapbox time!!

Please just ASK someone in the produce department why these particular grapefruit are on sale for such a low price. In my experience in our store - I work in produce at a natural foods co-op - there are 3 reasons why items go on super sale:

1. We ended up with too many grapefruit, they're starting to lose their freshness, and we want to sell them ASAP before they rot. This is the same reason that bagged salad mixes and other packaged goods are sometimes put on clearance just before their expiration dates. Better to make SOME money on them than none at all.

2. Our distributor was having a sale on grapefruit, so we bought a whole lot of them to pass the cheap price on to our customers.

3. The grapefruit are of average or poor quality, compared to our other grapefruit. This often happens around the end of the U.S. apple season, for instance. Around February or March, the last of the apples from Washington state that have been in cold storage in warehouses for months get shipped out, and some may be a little old. Lesser quality = lower price. It can also happen if the distributor starts getting apples or whatever from a different part of the country, or from overseas. There are just quality issues sometimes, and everyone has to make price adjustments to accommodate that, from farmer to distributor to grocer.

But seriously, just ask someone in the produce department. We're *mostly* nice people. =)

Annnnd, yes. Organic is generally best for avoiding pesticide residues. FYI people, pesticides are generally sprayed on the trees at a few points during the growing season. The chemicals are then absorbed by the leaves - just like human skin would absorb similar chemicals - and transferred to the growing fruit. So, pesticides CAN end up inside fruit, NOT just on the outside of the peel.

Google is a WONDERFUL thing. =)

-Cat
#13 Old 05-10-2008, 04:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Don't forget to wash your fruits/veggies, even if they are organic. That way any contaminent on the outside is not carried thru as you cut it, nor gotten on your hands should you end up picking up pieces to eat like finger food.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page