Almond Butter? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-06-2008, 12:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I adore raw almond butter by MaraNatha, but a single large jar (espescially that organic) can be so expensive! I'm curious about try to make my own with some whole almonds, but am not sure how to go about it. Any ideas?

Thankies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-06-2008, 12:55 PM

There's a grocery store called Kroger that I go to. They're all over the place here in Indy. They have a natural food section and they always have stuff marked down because not many people by that kind of stuff and it gets close to the "best by" date. So, maybe try to find some that have been marked down.
#3 Old 03-06-2008, 12:58 PM

It's really easy (and fun) to make your own. Just throw a bunch of raw almonds in the food processor and watch it slowly transform from nuts, to pieces of nuts, to a powder, then eventually to a nut butter. Add some oil if you like it a bit runnier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-06-2008, 01:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trivegelete View Post

Add some oil if you like it a bit runnier.

That word always cracks me up!
#5 Old 03-06-2008, 02:43 PM
Veggie Regular

now I have a craving for almond butter....

I would imagine it may be difficult making almond butter yourself that isnt extremely dry. I have always wondered if they add extra almond oil to the store bought kind. Grocery stores that have the machines set up to make peanut butter, have never been a favorite of mine...
#6 Old 03-06-2008, 04:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Ok now I want to make my own almond butter. I <3 almond butter but the stuff we buy is also somewhat expensive.
#7 Old 03-07-2008, 01:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trivegelete View Post

It's really easy (and fun) to make your own. Just throw a bunch of raw almonds in the food processor and watch it slowly transform from nuts, to pieces of nuts, to a powder, then eventually to a nut butter. Add some oil if you like it a bit runnier.

A food processor, eh? I SO need to get one of those. Relying on ones blender doesn't always do the trick....
#8 Old 03-08-2008, 08:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PneumaticJawz78 View Post

A food processor, eh? I SO need to get one of those. Relying on ones blender doesn't always do the trick....

A food processor can do much more than a blender. I don't know what I ever did without mine.
#9 Old 03-08-2008, 04:03 PM

I always buy my almond butter in bulk at my favourite local natural foods co-op. It's much cheaper than buying it in a jar, I can choose the amount, and I re-use my container over and over again, which saves on packaging.

It's not raw, but I've made the decision to continue some roasted nuts. It works best for my lifestyle, I guess.

I like to buy a small amount at a time, because in three weeks...I might be sick of almond butter and craving natural peanut butter instead. This is how I buy deglet noor and medjool dates, hemp seed and spirulina and barley grass powder, etc for smoothies, and all my other nuts, seeds, dried fruit, etc. They have some wonderful raw mixed nuts, turkish figs, raw sunflower seeds, pepitas, etc.

Long story short...the bulk department is a raw foodist's DREAM. Just make sure to find out what's really truly raw.

Good luck!

-Cat
#10 Old 03-10-2008, 02:23 PM

I found out not long ago that Maranatha raw almond butter is not raw. I still eat it (i bought 5 jars on sale for $4 each! half price!) but just in case you didn't know...it's on their website.
#11 Old 03-10-2008, 02:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalala View Post

I found out not long ago that Maranatha raw almond butter is not raw. I still eat it (i bought 5 jars on sale for $4 each! half price!) but just in case you didn't know...it's on their website.

It's rather difficult to get raw almonds now since this happened.

Perhaps they should start cooking all meat and eggs before they sell it, because you know, somebody might get sick if they don't

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page