Raw Living Challenge. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-26-2008, 09:55 PM
Veggie Regular

This is a place for people to get support on their journey to raw foodism...Is that a correct term? It's not just for people trying to go raw for good, You can try for a month, A week, Or just to incorperate more raw food into your diet. It's all about being healthy and living more naturally.

The only thing you need to do is post your goals, How long you're looking to go raw for, What percentege of raw food you're trying to eat, Etc. And keep us updated on your progress. Feel free to give any tips you have! Help is always welcome.

I don't mind any healthy debate, Just please, Keep it clean. This is my first thread. Try not to drag it down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-26-2008, 10:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks, Animosity!

In the past, I've liked to eat all raw a day a week and 50% raw the other days when it's warm. I've had long stretches where I was 100% strictly raw too.

Eating a good percentage of raw when it is a little cooler isn't easy for me.

I'm eating a salad meal everyday that tends to be all raw. So, I'll commit to one meal and one snack a day raw.

I'll post what I had raw/living today:

Raw:

Strawberries

Pecans

Spinach

Arugula

Baby Spring Mix

Carrots

Moroccan Olive oil

Living:

Miso broth

Apple cider vinegar

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#3 Old 02-26-2008, 10:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I did a stint of 100% raw right after turkey massacre day. I felt amazing. I'd never felt that healthy before, My energy level was so much higher, I felt so much more alive. My athletic abilities went up as well. In one week with that diet and exercise I doubled my running length. I also lost 4lbs without having to starve. That, For me, Was a blessing. After my friend who was on the plan with me went home, I sorta lost myself and stoped. I'm hopeing to get the feeling I had before back. I've been feeling very out of it lately, I think my poor, Over processed diet is a big part of the reason. I'm also trying to cut out some of the packageing I use. I want to lower my environmental impact.

My goal: I want to eat at least 50% raw, I'm going for a minimum of a week. My overall goal is to stay near that level throughout life.

I'm trying to get my Mom to bring me to the farmers market tommorow to buy some locally grown produce, I'll start then and i'll post what I ate here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-27-2008, 09:48 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm trying to go 100% raw. I am very close, the things I eat that aren't raw are bread and potato chips.

I made a smoothie today!

Two bananas

Two handfuls of goji berries

A bunch of grapes

A tablespoon of wheatgrass powder

Two tablespoons of hemp seeds

Ten tablets of spirulina, crushed

Two tablespoons of cacao powder

Water to make it more liquidy

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#5 Old 02-27-2008, 01:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm about 75% raw these days.

My typical day is

B: Green Smoothie (no soy milk)

MS: Fruit

L: Green Smoothie (no soy milk), Kimchee, Vegan dumplings (cooked)

D: Will probably be another Green Smoothie and some Vitamix soup (which is considered raw)

I've been trying to replace traditional salads with the smoothies as I've read they digest better. I'm going to see if I can stay at 75% (or more) through March.
#6 Old 02-27-2008, 04:00 PM

I've been toying with the idea of trying this. When I try eating raw for a few days in a row, I find that I have to eat more. Or at least it seems that way. It feels like I'm always eating. Anyone else had this experience?
#7 Old 02-27-2008, 07:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Tomotto, what are you eating? ost it and maybe there's something that's contributing to this feeling.

One thing to keep in mind is that with the exception of nuts, seeds, oils, avocados and things like dates, most raw foods are lower in calories and higher in finer than the cooked foods a lot of us eat regularly so it's natural to want to eat more.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#8 Old 02-27-2008, 07:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Today, this is what I had that was raw:

A salad of pearl tomatoes, cucumber, avocado, pine nuts, Moroccan olive oil, parsley, thyme, sesame seeds, apple cider vinegar and a pinch of Celtic sea salt.

I also had raw almonds , chocolate, strawberries and pecans.

#9 Old 02-27-2008, 08:43 PM

i'm working into it but i tend to falter at night and go into snack madness, not usually a raw snack madness. I'm also new to vegetarianism and am struggling with seafood, which is all i ever ate anyways. Most days are as follows:

B: 1L of fresh veggie/fruit juice or a smoothie depending on time

S: Fruit if i'm hungry

L: Salad with lettuce, kale and veggies, avocado, hemp seeds or nut cheese, raw tahini and lemon juice

S: Fruit, larabar, hot water with lemon (this is usually my hungriest point of the day)

D: Cooked vegan dinner, usually lentils or tofu

S: Whatever i can get my hands on! on a good night it might be one raw cookie or some chocolate almond milk, otherwise chips, vegan cookies, etc.

I just wish i could get over the eating after dinner.
#10 Old 02-27-2008, 08:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Today wasn't as raw as I wanted it to be because my Mother wanted me to have a cooked dinner with her and we didn't go to the farmers market as early as I wanted.

Raw food I had today was;

I had two smoothies today. I made them with strawberries, Fresh orange juice, Banana and a bit of (not raw, sadly). Almond milk.

For a snack I had a plum and a nectarine.

My mostly non-raw was a vegetable fajita plate, Some whole wheat cereal this morning, And I corrupted my otherwise raw salsa with tortilla chips.

Tomorrow will be better. I bought a bunch of really nice fruits and veggies.
#11 Old 03-02-2008, 12:18 AM
Veggie Regular

*edit*

I'm over it now, No need to leave this up.

I'll get back to posting on here regularly again.
#12 Old 03-02-2008, 05:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Animosity, great thread!

I basically decided that 2008 was going to be my year for getting back into healthy eating, staying vegan, and working on my binge-eating patterns. I started Jan 5 with a modified version of Joel Fuhrman's Eat to Live plan and was probably about 50-60% raw with that (E2L isn't strictly a raw food diet but Fuhrman does emphasize raw veggies and fruits). I enjoyed that for about 8 weeks (while staying binge-free!) but last week decided that I wanted to try going raw at a higher percentage for the next few weeks just for a change. This is day 5 and so far I'm loving it even more than what I was doing before.

Goals: Right now I'm just taking it one week at a time. I've tried going raw several times in the past year and I think one thing that makes me fail is the all-or-nothing mentality I have about food. So for me to say "I'm going raw for the rest of my life" is a big issue. If that happens to be the case, great. If not, so be it.

I'm probably around 90-95% raw right now. I don't consciously eat anything that isn't raw, but I leave a margin or error, per se, for foods that I'm pretty sure are not completely raw (like some of the dried fruit I buy).

Typical menu:

Morning: tehina or nut pate or guacomole with raw veggies and fruit

Snack: all fruit smoothie with 1 tbsp flaxseed

Lunch: Big salad with either raw vinigrette and avocado or dressing made with raw nut butter (depending on what I've had for breakfast)

Snack: fruit smoothie

Dinner: Salad with veggie and fruit mix, raw nuts, a sprinkling of dried fruit

Evening snacks: more dried fruit and/or raw fudge

I know it sounds like I eat a lot of fatty foods (nuts, avocado) but so far this is what my body is craving and I feel very satisfied with it. I'm also losing weight, though I don't weigh myself so I can't say how much. One of my mottos this year is if it isn't broken, don't fix it .

Tam

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page