Awesome Green Smoothie Recipe - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-15-2008, 08:06 AM

Wonderful way to start your day the GREEN way! My fastest, easiest Green Smoothie yet.

Ingredients

* 4 or 5 Oranges, Remove seeds and juice

* 1 Kale or Collard Leaf

Preparation

Put the freshly squeezed Orange Juice into high power blender. Add Kale or Collard Leaf. Blend on low speed gradually increasing to highest speed until smooth. Pour into glasses and ENJOY!

P.S. If you want it icy add a scoop of ice before blending. We prefer ours room temperature.

Janet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-15-2008, 08:16 AM
Veggie Regular

I always wonder about why people choose to use kale or collards in a smoothie...1 leaf isn't much (not even a "serving" really) and there are so many other ways I like to eat kale and collards (a bunch at a time).

I prefer spinach and mixed baby greens in my smoothies. It's easy to get entire servings in there!

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#3 Old 02-15-2008, 01:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd definitely want to add more greens to it. I always stuff mine with two or so handfuls of baby spinach, 3 or 4 leaves of greenleaf lettuce, maybe a handful of the mixed baby greens. I'm not brave enough to have kale, mustard greens or others like them in my smoothies yet. Acquired taste, I guess.

I've never done it with just one fruit, either. I'll have to get some oranges when they're at a good price and then dump a bunch of greens in and see how it goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-15-2008, 02:29 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna View Post

I'd definitely want to add more greens to it. I always stuff mine with two or so handfuls of baby spinach, 3 or 4 leaves of greenleaf lettuce, maybe a handful of the mixed baby greens. I'm not brave enough to have kale, mustard greens or others like them in my smoothies yet. Acquired taste, I guess.

At least 1 leaf is better than none. Now that oranges are in season, I just may give this recipe a chance and see how it tastes. Acquired tastes must be acquired! Trying different types of greens than my usual kale has been a new goal for me. The high amount of oxalates steer me away from spinach. I'd say chard tastes the least offensive but it also has some oxalates! Mother Nature is so cruel.
#5 Old 02-15-2008, 02:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Last I heard, the baby spinach doesn't have the problem (or as much of it) as the adult spinach. I put lots of it in my salads and smoothies.

I've had kale go bad on me because it comes in such a big bunch and I was the only one trying it out. I'll probably try the kale again in this recipe but add some other greens or something so I don't make a face.
#6 Old 02-20-2008, 02:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, I'd up the greens and add a banana or some pineapple or something. Otherwise it sounds like it's just pulpy orange juice with a leaf in it.

PS. Kale sucks in smoothies and raw collards taste like sorrow and grief and wretchedness combined.
#7 Old 02-21-2008, 10:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Sounds good, but I would also need more greens. And call me odd, but I need my banana. I might try something light like this in the summer though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page