Winter and Raw Foods--Any suggestions for Winter Food substitutes? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-07-2003, 03:24 PM
Veggie Regular

So, with the onset of winter and massive cravings for pasta and mashed potatoes, what are some suggestions you all have for substitues for favorite winter foods?

I'm going to try to stay away from pasta dishes and other useless carbs, but would love to hear suggestions for raw foods that could take the place of those good-ol-stand-by's my grandma used to make. (Baked beans, casseroles, etc.)

Thanks, all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-07-2003, 04:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnyc View Post

So, with the onset of winter and massive cravings for pasta and mashed potatoes, what are some suggestions you all have for substitues for favorite winter foods?

I'm going to try to stay away from pasta dishes and other useless carbs, but would love to hear suggestions for raw foods that could take the place of those good-ol-stand-by's my grandma used to make. (Baked beans, casseroles, etc.)

Thanks, all.

Winter? What's that? I don't understand.....

Nec Aspera Terrent
#3 Old 10-08-2003, 12:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Hey Randy!!! Just visiting or are you back "full time"?

More on topic, I think cauliflower can be used as a good base for raw "mashed potatoes". I can look up the recipe if interested
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-08-2003, 01:23 AM

raw spaghetti!! Im obssessed. You just have to order a saladco spinner, i think I messed up the name. I think u can get them on david wolfe's site. rawfood.com

It's so good, it really somehow starts to taste like pasta.
#5 Old 10-08-2003, 12:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Is it a salad spinner? What does it do to make "pasta"?

Sure, Oatmeal, post the cauliflower "mashed potatoes" recipe here or in the raw recipes thread. That'd be great! Thanks.
#6 Old 12-19-2003, 07:01 PM

It is a little machine that you put a veggie in and it comes out looken' like spaghetti (just looken' it doesn not involve flour or anything, it is still a veggie). Like a zucchini, for example. put it in and presto! zucchini pasta.

Hope that helps!

Sonora

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnyc View Post

Is it a salad spinner? What does it do to make "pasta"?

Sure, Oatmeal, post the cauliflower "mashed potatoes" recipe here or in the raw recipes thread. That'd be great! Thanks.

#7 Old 12-20-2003, 07:06 PM
Veggie Regular

hmm, you can make soups and heat them very 'gently' by putting the soup in a bowl and then heating the bowl in another bowl of warm water, if that makes sense.

oh heres a link to some information about a saladacco: http://www.differentdaisy.com/nexter...al-slicer-.htm

i was lucky enough to find one in a charity shop here, selling for £1.50. Bargain.
#8 Old 01-02-2004, 04:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I have the same problem. Right now it's -10 with the windchill of -21 and all I'm craving is soup.
#9 Old 01-03-2004, 11:44 AM

It's not raw but have you tried spaghetti squash. It is really good.
#10 Old 02-09-2004, 08:09 PM

its like -18 here with a wind chill of -30 something really cold they do have oranges though that look really good at the store i dont think though that will take away the pasta craveings.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page