I fail at sprouting - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-17-2008, 07:26 AM
Veggie Regular

I've been trying to figure out why my seeds never sprout. I thought I was carefully following the sprouting directions in the back of "The Raw Gourmet". I did something horribly wrong though. I've been leaving the water in the jar. I've been rinsing the seeds, and then filling the jar back up with water. No wonder nothing has been sprouting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-17-2008, 01:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Don't drown your sprouts!!!

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#3 Old 01-17-2008, 01:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Say I accidently let some barley soak in water for 24 hours because I thought it was sprouting. Would I be able to save it, or should I just throw it out and start over?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-17-2008, 01:17 PM
Veggie Regular

maybe for lotus sprouts that would work. Once I soaked some chickpeas for like, three days (I kept changing the water, but didn't have time to cook them) and then sprouted them. I didn't know if it would work, but it did. They sprouted very soon after I took them out of the water, but none sprouted in the water.
#5 Old 01-17-2008, 01:18 PM
Veggie Regular

You should try it.
#6 Old 01-17-2008, 01:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Hmm, I'll give them a few days then before I toss them. I was really looking forward to making the pizza crust they are for.
#7 Old 01-17-2008, 01:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritemare View Post

Say I accidently let some barley soak in water for 24 hours because I thought it was sprouting. Would I be able to save it, or should I just throw it out and start over?

When in doubt, throw it out. Wet grains are an excellent breeding ground for bacteria, as bad as meat and dairy. So are beans. I'd tip it down the loo and wash up really well.
#8 Old 01-17-2008, 01:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerks View Post

When in doubt, throw it out. Wet grains are an excellent breeding ground for bacteria, as bad as meat and dairy. So are beans. I'd tip it down the loo and wash up really well.

I really didn't think about bacteria because I changed the water every 6 hours except when I was sleeping it went for 8. I thought that is how you go about sprouting things, but evidently you drain the water not just change it.
#9 Old 01-17-2008, 01:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Ahh yes, I forgot that my stomach of steel makes me forget things like that... Now that I think about it, my husband couldn't eat those chickpeas after a few of them. I did, but I could probably eat... um... anything, with no ill effects. Sorry!
#10 Old 01-17-2008, 08:07 PM
Veggie Regular

When I sprouted my grains I would drain them and pat them dry before replaceing their water every 6 hours. I never had any issues with sprouting, Actually mine sprouted in about half the time it was supposed to take. Now actually making something with them is a completely different story...
#11 Old 01-20-2008, 01:47 PM
Veggie Regular

My grain actually sprouted! I got up this morning to rinse them and they have little tails. I think I'll give them one more day before I grind them up into pizza crust.
#12 Old 01-20-2008, 02:40 PM

Congrats!
#13 Old 01-20-2008, 08:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Congradulations. I almost couldn't bring myself to grind mine... I put a lot of time and care into sprouting them, I watched them grow every step of the way, It was like killing one of my plants, I felt really guilty for some reason.
#14 Old 01-21-2008, 06:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animosity View Post

Congradulations. I almost couldn't bring myself to grind mine... I put a lot of time and care into sprouting them, I watched them grow every step of the way, It was like killing one of my plants, I felt really guilty for some reason.

Yeah...I really don't want to grind them up but that is what I bought them for. I feel sort of like I'm getting rid of a pet or something. Kinda strange huh?
#15 Old 01-22-2008, 06:02 AM

my buckwheat just sprouted too...they're so cute, i don't want to make pizza with them! i'm going to give them until tonight and then i think they will have to meet my food processor.
#16 Old 01-22-2008, 09:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalala View Post

my buckwheat just sprouted too...they're so cute, i don't want to make pizza with them! i'm going to give them until tonight and then i think they will have to meet my food processor.

Wow share some of that pizza with me!

Take a pic of your sprouts so that way when you make the pizza you still have a pic of them to remember.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”

#17 Old 01-22-2008, 12:54 PM
Veggie Regular

That's funny because I'm making pizza with mine too. I used about half of them to make the pizza crust and had some of them for breakfast this morning with fruit. I was going to toss them in some cinnamon or vanilla and dehydrate them and make cereal or something with the left overs.
#18 Old 01-22-2008, 08:45 PM

i only had a cup of buckwheat left so all of mine went to pizza crust. i find i'm forever looking for dehydrating recipes but i make so much more of it than i eat. i still have a full bag of flax crackers and some garlic bread that i haven't eaten. i think i need to find something better to put on the bread.

any suggestions?
#19 Old 01-24-2008, 09:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalala View Post

i only had a cup of buckwheat left so all of mine went to pizza crust. i find i'm forever looking for dehydrating recipes but i make so much more of it than i eat. i still have a full bag of flax crackers and some garlic bread that i haven't eaten. i think i need to find something better to put on the bread.

any suggestions?

Suggestion...give me the flax crackers and garlic bread! Hhahah. That's pretty cool. I got my dehydrator at the beginning of December last year and I'm new at this I am not making lots of things yet...just experimenting. I tried my first raw bread yesterday (which I bought from an online shop) and it was awesome!

#20 Old 01-24-2008, 09:30 PM
Veggie Regular

This thread inspired me to do some sprouting! I haven't done that in a while!

So...I go get my 'sprouting jars' and...GASP!!!!!

They were full of nasty beans!!!

I had a jar of mung beans and one of black beans...half full of water, because I was planning to cook with those!

I totally forgot about them!!! They've been in that cabinet, sealed, for about 3 weeks now! I'm afraid to open them...I may just toss them and buy new jars.

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#21 Old 01-24-2008, 10:54 PM
Veggie Regular

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#22 Old 01-25-2008, 07:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyPerv View Post

This thread inspired me to do some sprouting! I haven't done that in a while!

So...I go get my 'sprouting jars' and...GASP!!!!!

They were full of nasty beans!!!

I had a jar of mung beans and one of black beans...half full of water, because I was planning to cook with those!

I totally forgot about them!!! They've been in that cabinet, sealed, for about 3 weeks now! I'm afraid to open them...I may just toss them and buy new jars.

Oh...god!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page