Drinking Raw Coffee - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-15-2008, 06:19 AM

Or...what does a raw foodist do about caffeine?

I have been adding more and more raw and feeling good, so the thought of becoming 100% is dancing in my mind, but what about coffee and tea?

There is cold drip coffee, no heat, but the beans are roasted.

There is white coffee with a slight roast(I think). The beans are actually whitesh green.

If coffee is no good there is always green tea, which is just dried.

It can be made without hot water, just let it sit in the water half a day or so.

Or do raw foodists do without any caffeine?

Kevin

www.plumflowermantisboxing.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-15-2008, 09:19 AM
Beginner

What about Yerba Mate that you can coldbrew? Does that count as raw?
#3 Old 01-15-2008, 10:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I've never heard of raw coffee before. There are sun teas that you can make. They sell the canisters to make them at almost any department store. There is special tea bags that you use to make it.

On a fruitarian board I used to belong to, people suggested drinking melon juice in the morning instead of coffee as a wake me up. They also suggested lemon juice. I've personally tried both and I think the lemon juice is a much better energy booster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-15-2008, 11:10 AM
Veggie Regular

I can't even imagine how coffee could be made without roasting the beans.

My guess is most raw fooders would kick the caffeine habit. I did for a while before switching to green tea. Not because it's raw, just because it doesn't give me coffee breath and I like me a hot beverage in the winter.

I say if you want to drink coffee then drink coffee. I'm not sure how much better a raw source of caffeine would be for you. Both are going to increase your body's acidity just the same I would think.
#5 Old 01-15-2008, 01:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
But, in the mean time, I took some of the green coffee beans and soaked them for twenty four hours, and then sprouted them. This morning I took the sprouted beans and ground them up in a clean coffee grinder, and to my surprise, they were brown on the inside! (Also I should mention that after I was done soaking them, the water was turquoise!). I put the green grounds into a a cup and heated water to just 90 degrees and then poured the water over the beans to let them brew. After 10 min. I poured the brew through a nut milk bag to strain off the coffee grounds. The coffee was much weaker, but still tasted like coffee, but without the bitter flavor.

Did a little bit of research on yahoo and came across this forum post on another site. Thought you might like to take a look at it. It seems that you CAN have raw coffee!

http://goneraw.com/forums/2/topics/564
#6 Old 01-15-2008, 07:31 PM

Fritemare,

That was interesting post about making raw coffee. I have to admire that experimentor's spirit of creativity.

I can barely find my way to the kitchen in the morning.

Kevin

#7 Old 01-15-2008, 09:32 PM
Veggie Regular

For tea just make your own sun tea with raw herbs. Caffeine isn't all that good for you.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#8 Old 01-17-2008, 07:33 AM

Beyond the negative implications of caffeine in java the other double whammie is a Negative PH level that our bodies must neutralize with calcium further depleting bone density. I have been told that java from Sumatra has little or now acidity but need to but it to the litmus test.
#9 Old 01-18-2008, 05:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I make raw superfood/superherb 'coffee' which is all sorts of goodies flavored with a dash of organic coffee extract. I make mint chip frappuccinos, hazlenut creme iced lattes and all sorts of good stuff! All raw except that little dash of flavoring but no caffiene just lots of good energy from the superfoods! I use black sesame seeds, hemp seeds, cacao, maca, agave, lucuma, goji berry, bee pollen (unless you are strict vegan), chlorella, astragalus, reshi mushroom, gotu kola, ho shou wu etc and it tastes soooooo good you would never miss coffee again! I even line the glass with raw chocolate syrup so it LOOKS like a crapachino!
#10 Old 01-19-2008, 01:08 PM

"crapachino"!!!????

Besides that last one they all sound great.

Are these recipes posted anywhere?

Kevin

#11 Old 01-19-2008, 03:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm going to suggest this website for all of your raw coffee drink needs. http://goneraw.com/recipes You can do a search on there for recipes, and they have several coffee like drinks. Most of them get their caffiene from chocolate. The iced chai drink sounds divine.
#12 Old 01-19-2008, 05:14 PM
Veggie Regular

RawVeganMom makes really good food. I've seen pictures of lots and lots of her recipes and stuff. I've seen a picture of her raw coffee, too. It makes me drool and I don't even drink coffee.

And I'm guessing the "crapachino" part is a way of talking about the ones they have in Starbucks and other places.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page