I can't believe I ate the whole thing... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-01-2003, 10:27 AM

and I loved it! Actually, what I'm having a hard time believing is that I just ate 4 whole pieces of fruit for breakfast. I've never been very interested in fruit. Maybe a few berries. That's it.

I knew that my tastes would change when I began eating raw, but, wow! Three peaches, a banana, and I want more! Going to go sniff around in the kitchen again for more fruit now. Mmm-mmm.

Great threads and posts here! I'm real glad to have found you all.

From an astounded new rawist (week 1/2),

GreenGorilla
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-01-2003, 04:23 PM

What foods are you veteran and beginner rawists eating that you never thought you would?
#3 Old 10-01-2003, 05:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I put away more fruit in the morning than I never thought I would. I make a shake of 2 bananas, 1/2 cantelope, some dates and soy milk (even though its not raw, but I just love it so ) and slam the whole thing cause it makes me feel terrific. It comes out to 2 pints of liquid, and I'm really full afterwards, but its such great energy for biking I can't go without it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-01-2003, 07:14 PM

I'de have to say the grass! Wheatgrass is awesome for you, I just never thought I'de actually be eating grass, like a dog or cow!! I also find myself eating a LOT, like 5 times as much, of things that Ide usually have just one of, or a handfull. It may be crazy--but I love it.
#5 Old 10-02-2003, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnyc View Post

I put away more fruit in the morning than I never thought I would. I make a shake of 2 bananas, 1/2 cantelope, some dates and soy milk (even though its not raw, but I just love it so ) and slam the whole thing cause it makes me feel terrific. It comes out to 2 pints of liquid, and I'm really full afterwards, but its such great energy for biking I can't go without it.

Oooh. Thanks for the recipe jwnyc. I have some dates in the cupboard, and I think I'll try something similar for breakfast this morning.

I have a similar fondness for soy milk and soy milk products. Yesterday, my omni family scarfed down a couple pizzas and I had such a hard time resisting that I took some soy butter and slathered it over sprouted bread. Oh well.

Do you bike every morning? Sounds like fun.

Green Gorilla
#6 Old 10-02-2003, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujewel View Post

I'de have to say the grass! Wheatgrass is awesome for you, I just never thought I'de actually be eating grass, like a dog or cow!! I also find myself eating a LOT, like 5 times as much, of things that Ide usually have just one of, or a handfull. It may be crazy--but I love it.

Are you eating your grass 'as is', or juicing it cujewel? I've eaten a handful of un-juiced wheatgrass. Pretty good. Haven't tried it juiced yet. Funny though. I always wanted to eat grass and leaves from our yard when I was a kid. Now, 30 years later, I'm sure that it would be a bad idea because our neighbors yards are so close that I'll never be able to be sure that some of the pesticides and other stuff that they use won't have traveled on to my yard. I would be interested to know which grasses, leaves, berries, etc. that we can eat (aren't poisonous) if we're out someplace where we're positive that the foilage and ground are free of all contaminants.

I hadn't thought about now eating more of things, but, yeah, that's true! Like yellow squash. I've probably only ate a few cooked slices at a time. The other night, I ate most of a raw yellow squash. hehe.

GreenGorilla
#7 Old 10-02-2003, 07:10 PM

I do both. I personally dont own a juicer, so Im stuck with stickin the blades in a blender with other stuff and drinking smoothies, but I have had juiced wheat grass too, and that pretty good aswell. I recently found this website with a lot of wheatgrass ideas, and they use the actual grass, not juice, so I figure its okay to do! if anyone wants it... <http://wheatgrass.pages123.co.uk/recipes.htm>.

But back to the topic, (sorta) I also never thought I'de get so excited over getting 4lbs. of organic bananas for $1. Its great how the little things make me oh so happy!!
#8 Old 10-05-2003, 06:26 PM

You guys are all so cute!! The banannas for $1, I was completely laughing bc i get so excited by the little things too. i was screaming at the farmers market today, bc they had these organic grapes that were picked on friday, i thought it was so exciting. the lady next to me was laughing at me, but it was just so exciting to me. Green gorilla. i love your enthuasiasm for raw food. Maybe you could make raw pizza, it's sooo good. Does anyone in your family share you're eating habits? Is it hard to have other types of food in the house? Ive been seeing a few ads lately about nature walks where people show you what is safe to eat, etc. I am loving eating raw, there is so much good food out there lately.
#9 Old 10-06-2003, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniper View Post

Maybe you could make raw pizza, it's sooo good. Does anyone in your family share you're eating habits? Is it hard to have other types of food in the house? Ive been seeing a few ads lately about nature walks where people show you what is safe to eat, etc.

Mmmm. I can make a raw pizza! Oh, yeah, that sounds good. I'll have to look for a recipe. I can't imagine what to use for the 'crust'.

Actually, I could use just about any kind of recipe. Breakfasts lately are mostly smoothies. Yum. Dinners are crudites (sp?) or raw soup. Lunchs, I'm being as creative as I can with lettuce-as-bread type sandwiches & nuts, but, I'm looking for a few spectacular dishes.

And, no, my family (three kids and grandma), all like their animal products. My kids are enjoying nibbling at everything that I eat lately, so, I think that their tastes are ready to change a little bit. Yeah! Every couple of days they'll eat something that looks and smells really good to me. Their dinner tonight had a cheesy-rice base that interested me, but, my sweet mom made a plate of raw veggies and fruit. I ate that and some spinach with sesame oil. Please, nobody tell me that sesame oil is heated during its preparation! I love sesame oil. Maybe I can find some sesame seeds to eat raw. Hmmm.

Thanks for mentioning 'nature walks' Juniper. I know a family that's knowledgeable about what's edible. I'll ask them to go for a walk with me and point things out!

Green Gorilla
#10 Old 10-06-2003, 08:25 PM

Good for you green g! I bet you after a while your kids will start eating like you, children usually take the most righteous path when given a choice. I bet you they would like raw zuch spaghetti, it is sooo good, it somehow really tastes like pasta. I just made some with a pesto sundried tomato sauce, I couldn't believe how good it was. I dont get the feeling you live in LA, but they have a lot of raw pizza here. You can make your own though. Do you have a dehrydrator? The crust is made of different nuts and seeds, and then u make a raw sauce, and add whatever else you want. Ill send u some recipes when i get a chance to type them out, or you could buy a cookbook. the most popular ones are Raw by Juliano, and Raw Gourmet by Nomi Shannon. Hang in there! Your positive energy is contagious, thank you!! Wait, u don't need to hang in, you're doing great. I just meant that I know the transition is difficult, what you're doing is great. Not just for yourself, but your children as well. Thanks!!
#11 Old 10-28-2003, 12:12 PM
Veggie Regular

While I´m not a rawfoodist, I must confess that I adore eating just fruit for breakfast. There´s a melon in Spain that´s in season right now.... this melon is DIVINE! It´s like honeydew but 400x better. I´ve never seen it in the US, so I´m eating all of it I can while I´m here.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#12 Old 10-28-2003, 02:17 PM
Veggie Regular

HAH. I can relate. On Saturday I bought a bag of gorgeous bright green Granny Smith apples at the Farmer's Market. I took one of them to work today and it's about the size of THREE apples. I kept telling everyone...just look how gorgeous this apple is. They must've thought I was nuts.
#13 Old 11-02-2003, 03:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, I am not a raw foodist, (although I have thought about it) but I would like to post here anyway because two things have been mentioned that I can relate to.

1-I didn't use to be a big fruit eater, not because I didn't like it but sometimes I would go through a day or two with maybe only one piece of fruit.

Then one morning I made a big bowl of fruit salad, planning on only having a little. Of course I finished off the whole bowl .

Ingredients : 2 apples, big banana, 1 lemon, 1 orange, handful of strawberries, decent cup of pineapple.

Which works out to be at least 6 servings of fruit.

That was a good day.

2-I also get really excited about low prices for yumminess fruit etc, and I even had one shop clerk start laughing at me because I was getting so excited about everything, and my sister was dragging me out of the store.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page