VeggieBoards banner

Can raw food cause temporary rectal itching?

40K views 32 replies 19 participants last post by  lashe81 
#1 ·
Hi all!

I am new to raw food and loving it! I have been eating raw for about a week plus. A few days ago, I started experiencing a very itchy case of rectal itching! I did not have this problem before starting raw foods. Has anyone else had this problem AFTER starting raw foods? I know many people have this problem BEFORE starting raw food and then experience relief. So why am I having it now? My diet currently consists of green smoothies, fruits and veggies, not too much fat. I am 100 percent raw most days; on the days I am not I am still about 90 percent Raw and eating cooked vegetarian foods on the other days. I was thinking maybe I picked up a case of parasites from not washing my veggies and fruits. I was told that some people think you get B12 from tiny insects on fruits and veggies and so not to wash and scrub them clean. Two days after I started itching my husband complained of rectal itching too (we had not had "relations" since I starting being itchy). I've been feeding him the green smoothies (with unwashed organic veggies) lately. He still eats mostly cooked foods with dairy and some meat.

So if it is because of unwashed fruits and veggies, will it go away on it's own as I keep eating this healthy diet? Are we "expelling" parasites now? If we are "expelling" them, shouldn't they be dead? I've also been taking a probiotic for the last 2 weeks, should that help?

I know itchy anus is a sign of low HCL, but then, I didn't have this itchy problem before the green smoothies, so why would I be experiencing it now?

I would love to hear your ideas, thoughts and insights!!!!

PS: I had a thought to rub coconut oil "down there," externally and a little bit internally (because of it's anti-microbial properties etc...), would that HELP or be BAD in any way?

See less See more
#3 ·
Doctor sounds like the best thing to do. And are you getting your produce from the supermarket? Don't eat it unwashed. It usually contains very little B12 but plenty of undesirable microbes that could make you very sick. A B-12 supplement is your best bet and less of a gamble.

#4 ·
I second Fritemare's and Froggy's suggestions. I do think that going to a doctor is a good idea. I'd hope that you won't find many people here willing to tell you to finger yourself with coconut oil in lieu of seeking medical attention!

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

I second Fritemare's and Froggy's suggestions. I do think that going to a doctor is a good idea. I'd hope that you won't find many people here willing to tell you to finger yourself with coconut oil in lieu of seeking medical attention!
Sorry to sound dirty, but I started laughing when I put a picture to your quote!

#6 ·
Well, I laughed when I read the OP's statement:

"PS: I had a thought to rub coconut oil "down there," externally and a little bit internally (because of it's anti-microbial properties etc...), would that HELP or be BAD in any way?".

#9 ·
Well I had to do something in the meantime! Believe it or not the coconut oil really helped. Preparation H hardly did anything. If it doesn't go away very soon I'll go to the doctor.

Here's what I found out about coconut oil:

"Caprylic acid has been used for years as part of an effective natural cure for candida, and happens to be one of the medium chain fatty acids found in coconut oil.

It's reported to be especially helpful for people who suffer adverse reactions to pharmaceutical anti-fungal drugs."

"Use coconut oil as an effective natural cure for candida symptoms, including:

- vaginal yeast infection and vaginitis

- rectal itching

- skin erruptions including seborrheic dermatitis, diaper rash, cradle cap and psoriasis

- thrush

coconut oil, a natural cure for candida albicans Simply apply virgin coconut

oil to the affected area of

the body and experience wonderful relief. "

http://www.candida-cure-recipes.com/...r-candida.html

#10 ·
Sorry, I didn't mean to make fun or anything. I just had dirty thoughts about the coconut oil. I blame AHIMSA for giving me dirty thoughts!

Anyways, you might have just consumed something that caused your stools to irritate your rectal area. I'd definately talk to your doctor if it doesn't go away. I wouldn't say you are eating a raw diet though unless you are prepared to defend yourself. I'd simply say you had some recent diet changes that may or may not be effecting your itchy rectum.

#12 ·
Fritemare, No problem... how can I blame you when I used words like "rectal itching" and "anus" in my OP? My husband laughed hysterically when he read what I posted. But thanks for your apology

Thank you everyone else for your suggestions. Any more out there?

#19 ·
My Butt Itches too!!!

I'm here because I did a search for the very topic you raised. I have changed my diet to really incorporate smoothies with lots of greens (and have included protein powder, ground flaxseed, chia seeds) ... and my ass ITCHES like CRAZY. It's making me nuts. I'm not going to a doctor. It's purely diet related and I was wondering will it go away on it's own or is there something (i.e. coconut oil or Prep H or something else) that might help.

I scrub cucumbers/apples that I add to smoothies. I've used pre-washed "Power Greens" it's baby spinach, kale and something else ... I'm not vegan or vegetarian, but am eating healthier and using this as a way to incorporate more vegetables and greens (and fruit) into my diet. It's easy and works for me.

And my butt seems otherwise healthy and fine. I know that bowel movements change with diet and I'm okay there. I feel good and if I can just figure out this itchy butt issue.

#13 ·
Can be a body reaction too....

You do not ever imagine the amount of crap we have down there. Poison we been accumulating day by day since our very first days, is stockpiled down there... you are now cleansing yourself and all that crap is moving, causing you hurt...

How about a colon/rectal cleansen? It's very iki, but you will even loose 2-3 pounds of crap instantly. Unbeliable but true. I'm getting one next year

#14 ·
Okay, now I'm noticing other symptoms. Maybe this is really detox. I have teeny, teeny, tiny dark red bumps (they almost look like someone poked me with a tooth pick) all over my torso. You have to look up close to see them and then you notice they are all around. And that same rash is on the back of my head, in my hair and itches like CRAZY. My itching "down there" seems to have gone away (coconut oil?) but now the rash on my head is baaaad. Sounds like detox?

#16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbebe View Post

Okay, now I'm noticing other symptoms. Maybe this is really detox. I have teeny, teeny, tiny dark red bumps (they almost look like someone poked me with a tooth pick) all over my torso. You have to look up close to see them and then you notice they are all around. And that same rash is on the back of my head, in my hair and itches like CRAZY. My itching "down there" seems to have gone away (coconut oil?) but now the rash on my head is baaaad. Sounds like detox?
I'd definitely talk to a licensed physician about that! It's kind of too unusual for me to just let it slide without confirming that something doesnt need to be done about it.

#17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbebe View Post

Have you ever had chicken pox? If not, are you vaccinated?

#18 ·
Yes I had chicken pox when I was 14, it's nothing like that. It's really interesting, because I posted this same thread on four other vegan/vegetarian sites and this site is the only one where everyone suggests I go to the doctor. The others said:detox, candida, parasites, with a lot of posters saying they went through similar things as me, but that the symptoms went away in a week or so. Thank you everyone for your recommendations. I will definitely see a doctor in a few days if this doesn't clear up, but the symptoms have started to subside noticeably.

#22 ·
Yes, raw foods can cause (certain people) to itch out the south

Hi, folks...

This thread came up in a search about the problem of the itchy anus from vegetarianism. Here I am!

This has happened not once, but twice since 2002. Each time, I went to vegetarianism, a few weeks went by and the gradual anal itching after a BM began, very subtle at first, and getting worse as the months progress. After the wiping ends, it begins and feels like an itch under the skin. Then, it picks up again about 4 am very mildly for an hour, and then I barely feel it until I hit the sack. Then, wake up, BM...rinse and repeat.

By month six, I couldn't stand it anymore. I went and tried every OTC cream and eventually went to the doctor who prescribed even stronger creams. None of them did a thing. Nothing. By month nine, I had to bring red meat back into the diet. Guess what: problem solved within a day or two! This happened back then (as described) and now again as I decided to give it another shot starting on Feb 1. The nasty itchy has showed up again.

So, no, it's not from too many or messy BMs, or from parasites, or from food allergies, which leaves, in my mind, only the possibility if it being some kind of nutrient sensitivity or an allergy to fiber (which I suspected since it first happened).

Other than the above described, I feel better than I've felt in forever. But I can't handle this itching. I considered suicide before. It was THAT bad at the end.

Can ANYONE shed any light on this subject? Two doctors could offer zero insight whatsoever.

#25 ·
Hi, folks...

This thread came up in a search about the problem of the itchy anus from vegetarianism. Here I am!

This has happened not once, but twice since 2002. Each time, I went to vegetarianism, a few weeks went by and the gradual anal itching after a BM began, very subtle at first, and getting worse as the months progress. After the wiping ends, it begins and feels like an itch under the skin. Then, it picks up again about 4 am very mildly for an hour, and then I barely feel it until I hit the sack. Then, wake up, BM...rinse and repeat.

By month six, I couldn't stand it anymore. I went and tried every OTC cream and eventually went to the doctor who prescribed even stronger creams. None of them did a thing. Nothing. By month nine, I had to bring red meat back into the diet. Guess what: problem solved within a day or two! This happened back then (as described) and now again as I decided to give it another shot starting on Feb 1. The nasty itchy has showed up again.

So, no, it's not from too many or messy BMs, or from parasites, or from food allergies, which leaves, in my mind, only the possibility if it being some kind of nutrient sensitivity or an allergy to fiber (which I suspected since it first happened).

Other than the above described, I feel better than I've felt in forever. But I can't handle this itching. I considered suicide before. It was THAT bad at the end.

Can ANYONE shed any light on this subject? Two doctors could offer zero insight whatsoever.
Were you actually tested for parasites like pinworms?
What had you left out, or reduced, of your diet the times you began eating meat? Meat offers nothing by itself to solve this issue, so you must be eliminating foods, or really reducing something.
Have you tried probiotics?

#23 ·
@Jay Sneaker- there is zero contributing factors in your anecdotal experience.
Were you actually tested for parasites or food allergies, or the beginning of hemorroids? the only correlation I can think of is that you would eat meat in lieu of the problem foods, or possibly eat less of insoluble fiber.
Meat in itself would not help the problem but will certainly cause other digestive problems

I'm leaving this up to give you time to respond, however it will be deleted as VB has rules against spreading inaccurate information as well as meat eating

#24 ·
I was checked by several doctors. I have very small hemorroids, but this only becomes a problem as I mentioned above. And the fiber I get is from raw fruits and legumes.

I have no idea why you would delete this. The OPs brought this topic up and it needs addressing. If we have it, then others do, too. I am far from pro-meat or I wouldn't have come around. I am just reporting my experiences for the benefit of others who may be struggling with the same issues. This is crazy how I can't fully convert because of this. I appreciate anyone's help.

#27 ·
as far as deleting these posts, I've thought about you just wanting relief from a problem, but two things in particular you've said stick out as being very wrong.
First is you say: "By month nine, I had to bring red meat back into the diet. Guess what: problem solved"
When there is no where to be found any suggestion of eating any kind of meat that could relieve itching, there is no logic in anyone thinking to eat it, and yet you say you were veg'n.

Secondly, their are tests which easily confirm the presence of worms, and the cure is in pill form as they do not just hang around your anus, but in the intestinal regions. Cremes are never the treatment.

You bring up an analogy of being allergic even to water, but that analogy has nothing to do with your experience. What do you think is happening? That meat magically 'absorbs' whatever other foods contain, that causes you to itch? I guarentee it does not!

What is it that you expect anyone in a vegetarian/vegan forum to tell you when you seem driven to eat meat? You come across as an apologenic who has no real intention of being veg'n, but also feels guilty, so they look for reasons why they 'need' to eat animals.

I've heard a lot of excuses, but never to stop rectal itch.

Honestly, a good doctor would do the correct testing, and put you on an elimination diet- elimination as in quitting certain foods individually. I bet you anything you won't be told "maybe you try meat", and that a typical doctor response for many ailments

#28 ·
Crap, I forgot, I had determined that eating grapefruit, at least daily, caused me to have rectal itching. I don't often have good citrus, but when good grapefruits are in season I'll have one a day. I realized that that was the culprit

#32 · (Edited)
It's a gluten intolerance & Caprylic Acid is the answer

I realize you're asking about raw food (not gluten), but are you also consuming beer on occasion? I want to share my story with you in case it helps:

After years of this embarrassing issue, I've come to realize that the issue was gluten intolerance (this includes white flour, whole wheat flour, spelt flour, and even beer!). Last month, I decided to cut out gluten for a week, but to my surprise the issue cleared up in about two days! That's quick! Applying coconut oil externally is a damn-near miracle, and taking caprylic acid (a derivative of an important active ingredient in coconut oil), helps deal with inflammation from the inside.

If you look into the issue even deeper, you'll see that gluten has likely been the cause of your brain fog, anxiety/panic attacks, chronic nasal congestion at night, and heart palpitations after meals! I'm not celiac, but it's crazy how many symptoms you can still have as someone who is merely "gluten intolerant."

After trying the above methods, if you still have symptoms, it's possible you are simultaneously dealing with candida or histamine intolerance. The symptoms are pretty similar. There are elimination diets that you can experiment with to solve each of these issues too (eat known "safe foods" slowly add foods until the problem comes back to find the "problem food"). There's also other factors to take into account: If you have candida, you may need to eat more fermented foods, but if you have histamine intolerance, you will need to stay away from fermented foods. Problem solving this can sound complex, but it's really not. Just experiment with variations in your diet, until you find the solution.

If you've exhausted the suggestions above, consider parasites. Your doctor can provide a stool test. If this comes back negative, then it's likely a food intolerance (gluten or otherwise), candida (super common), or an issue with histamine (does taking an anti-histamine clear up the issue?). Depending on what you prefer, you may choose to get this test done as a first line of action to rule it out.

Topical coconut oil...I have zero shame in sharing this due to the miracles it performs (LOL). You'll thank me later.