High glycemic foods on a raw diet - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-22-2007, 09:37 PM

Do you think it really matters if a person on a high raw diet eats a lot of high glycemic foods like carrots or bananas? Do you think it affects a person's blood sugar the same way as it would for a person on a typical SAD?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-22-2007, 09:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Nope. Not at all. It does at first, but once you get into it then the rules are different. How do I know this? I had many pre-diabetic symptoms for a couple years before going raw. The only thing I did not have was a high blood sugar count at a fasting level, which is normal. But whenever I ahd bloodwork done it was after fasting. My father has type-2 diabetes and I only discovered that my symptoms were diabetic in nature after him telling me what he was going through.

Well, when starting raw, I was worried about eating too many fruits and getting too many sugars. I counted calories and kept the sugars low. What I found after a few weeks was that I could have more fruits in meals with no ill effects. I have gone days eating mostly fruit all day with absolutely no effects you would expect if you ate SAD.

So there you have it from my perspective. I'm sure someone may have a different story though. Just keep in mind if you are coming off of SAD, you may still be quite sensitive to high GI foods, like I used to be before being raw.

My daily breakfast is a fruit smoothie. It pretty much always has 2 bananas in it. todays was about 2 cups of cherries, 2 bananas, a cup of bluebberries, and about a tablespoon of flax seed. That's it. No wait, I added some water and ice. I guess that must be the big secret then, the water and ice.
#3 Old 08-22-2007, 10:13 PM

Cool!

Being on a high protein diet for such a long time sometimes I find it difficult to get past that mentality. I always deprived myself of many fruits and certain veggies when I used to eat that way simply because it was the thing to do when following diets like the Zone or South Beach.

Now I find myself really enjoying the things I was too afraid to eat. But every once in awhile I still get a tinge of guilt if that makes any sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-23-2007, 08:43 AM
Veggie Regular

For what it's worth, I never noticed any of my pre-diabetic symptoms until after I tried the Atkins diet. I think throwing my diet out of whack with all that low-carb, high-protein approach may have actually triggered the condition. Of course, the fans of Atkins would never put up with that I'm sure. But as far as I know, I was fine for 30 years of my life until I tried the Atkins diet. Then all sorts of problems started and I really had to continue monitoring what I ate to keep myself OK. I never had to count before that, only started becuase that was the rules of Phase I in Atkins. Phase II and III were much easier on me, but at that point those symptoms had taken hold and any time I went high-carb I suffered. Eating healthy veg*an while transitioning to raw fixed that for me though.
#5 Old 11-22-2007, 08:28 PM
Beginner

funny, i never felt those symptoms until coming OFF atkins... thought I was going diabetic for a month or so coming off that ****... don't do it... unless you are very obese, not good at all for just healthy or slightly overweight people.
#6 Old 05-21-2008, 06:08 AM

I thing there is bad food and better food and good food. Carrots are much better than lets say white bread or white sugar. I just read much similar discussion about sweet potatos and there isn't a clear answer. I think the best thing is not to eat too much of anything and just try to mix all kind of fruits and vegs into your diet.
#7 Old 05-21-2008, 01:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttgirl View Post

Do you think it really matters if a person on a high raw diet eats a lot of high glycemic foods like carrots or bananas? Do you think it affects a person's blood sugar the same way as it would for a person on a typical SAD?

No. Glycemic load is more accurate in determining the effect a food will have on your blood sugar. When considering how many calories a carrot has, though its glycemic index is high, you would have to eat several pounds in one go in order to spike your blood sugar. Even a banana hasn't got as high a glycemic load as most flour products. Carrots and bananas have got more fiber too, which slows the release of their sugars.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#8 Old 05-24-2008, 03:00 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

Carrots and bananas have got more fiber too, which slows the release of their sugars.

Do fats or protein slow the release of sugar?
#9 Old 05-24-2008, 11:50 AM

Fats DO slow the release of sugar, BUT cooking the carrots is the bigger factor in the release of sugar and the spike in the blood sugar!
#10 Old 05-24-2008, 01:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by federico View Post

Do fats or protein slow the release of sugar?

Yes. That's one of the acknowledged weaknesses of the glycemic index. Foods are not commonly eaten alone, and when other foods are added to a meal, the glycemic index for the meal is different from the glycemic index for each food considered separately.

Granted, if a raw foodist is doing mono meals, the glycemic index will be unchanged. Still, the glycemic load is a better tool for understanding the impact the food will have. I've never made a mono meal of carrots, but if a raw foodist is using juice, and removing the fiber, it might be wiser to stick to foods with low glycemic indices, if the raw foodist knows that they have insulin or blood sugar problems. Healthy people do not need to be concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernstars View Post

Fats DO slow the release of sugar, BUT cooking the carrots is the bigger factor in the release of sugar and the spike in the blood sugar!

The carrots won't be cooked in a raw diet.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#11 Old 05-24-2008, 07:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindLemonPep'r View Post

Nope. Not at all. It does at first, but once you get into it then the rules are different. How do I know this? I had many pre-diabetic symptoms for a couple years before going raw. The only thing I did not have was a high blood sugar count at a fasting level, which is normal. But whenever I ahd bloodwork done it was after fasting. My father has type-2 diabetes and I only discovered that my symptoms were diabetic in nature after him telling me what he was going through.

Well, when starting raw, I was worried about eating too many fruits and getting too many sugars. I counted calories and kept the sugars low. What I found after a few weeks was that I could have more fruits in meals with no ill effects. I have gone days eating mostly fruit all day with absolutely no effects you would expect if you ate SAD.

So there you have it from my perspective. I'm sure someone may have a different story though. Just keep in mind if you are coming off of SAD, you may still be quite sensitive to high GI foods, like I used to be before being raw.

My daily breakfast is a fruit smoothie. It pretty much always has 2 bananas in it. todays was about 2 cups of cherries, 2 bananas, a cup of bluebberries, and about a tablespoon of flax seed. That's it. No wait, I added some water and ice. I guess that must be the big secret then, the water and ice.

Somewhat off topic!!

Why do you do not add some greens to your smoothies? They are amazing and the smoothie will still taste great!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page