help (need help replacing rice) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-27-2007, 05:28 AM
Beginner

I love raw food and do raw days at certain times.

Anyway i feel i want to go more raw now but need to ask, how can i live without rice? Whats a dehydrator? Are they easy to use? Is there anything i cant sprout myself (i know you cant eat sprouted kidney beans but is there any others i cant use), how do you cope with eating out? and last of all can you give me some tips please on just eveything raw.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-27-2007, 04:42 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDream View Post

Anyway i feel i want to go more raw now but need to ask, how can i live without rice? Whats a dehydrator? Are they easy to use? Is there anything i cant sprout myself (i know you cant eat sprouted kidney beans but is there any others i cant use), how do you cope with eating out? and last of all can you give me some tips please on just eveything raw.

Thanks.

I'm currently on a high raw diet, and to be honest, I've never sprouted nor do I have a dehydrator.

A dehydrator is a raw version of a stove... except it never exceeds 120 degrees F. It acts as the sun and literally dehydrates wet food. This is how many raw foodists make crackers, breads, pizzas, fruit leathers, etc.

As far as eating out... its up to you, eating out can be your exception when you eat a vegan/vegetarian meal, ask for an entree sized salad, or just skip eating out all together.

As far as living without rice, I have to say that is my very problem. I love basmati rice! I love sushi and dolmas. Mmmmm... the only thing I can tell you is that the cravings will go away the longer you are on a high raw diet.... they will diminish if you manage to make it 100% raw.

I have heard of raw foodists making rice out of cauliflower, or sweet potatoes. They put it in a food processor until it is about the same size as rice. However, I tried making cauliflower "rice" in a dolma recipe and it did not go very well at all. It tastes too much like cabbage to me, but maybe it will do the trick for you?

Anyhow, I'm sorry I could not be of more help.. but I tried...
#3 Old 06-27-2007, 07:41 PM

Congrats! I'm trying to go, too.

Raw Foodist can eat rice. From living-foods.com:

Rice: Soak 12-18 hours, sprout 1.0+ days. Method: cloth or jar. Only brown, unprocessed rice will sprout. White rice, wild rice are dead and won't sprout. Standard long grain rice doesn't sprout. Short, medium grain brown rice, also brown basmati (but not Texmati) rice will sprout. Before root appears, rice can be eaten but difficult: bland, chewy, *very* filling. Once root appears, rice sprout is very bitter. The only rice I suggest sprouting is: Lundberg Farms "Wehani" rice, a specialty rice (sprout 1.5 days). It is least bitter - less bitter than fenugreek - of possible use in recipes.

A dehydrator heats food at low temperatures, raw foodists can eat food heated up to 118°. They're pretty easy to use. The only thing is they have to run for hours, there's a fan, so they're noisy and take electricity. They're great for dehydrating fruit.

I've never sprouted, I'm new with raw food.

Subway is great for getting a raw salad. Not sure if the sweet onion sauce is raw, I want to find out.

Don't get in over your head! That's what I tried to do last week and ended up giving in. Start out at a % and take it from there. research, watch videos, Raw Food Media has some great videos.

Good luck! Remember, do the best you can. Work your way up. Experiment with recipe's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-27-2007, 07:46 PM

Congrats! I'm trying to go, too.

Raw Foodist can eat rice. From living-foods.com:

Rice: Soak 12-18 hours, sprout 1.0+ days. Method: cloth or jar. Only brown, unprocessed rice will sprout. White rice, wild rice are dead and won't sprout. Standard long grain rice doesn't sprout. Short, medium grain brown rice, also brown basmati (but not Texmati) rice will sprout. Before root appears, rice can be eaten but difficult: bland, chewy, *very* filling. Once root appears, rice sprout is very bitter. The only rice I suggest sprouting is: Lundberg Farms "Wehani" rice, a specialty rice (sprout 1.5 days). It is least bitter - less bitter than fenugreek - of possible use in recipes.

A dehydrator heats food at low temperatures, raw foodists can eat food heated up to 118°. They're pretty easy to use. The only thing is they have to run for hours, there's a fan, so they're noisy and take electricity. They're great for dehydrating fruit.

I've never sprouted, I'm new with raw food.

Subway is great for getting a raw salad. Not sure if the sweet onion sauce is raw, I want to find out.

Don't get in over your head! That's what I tried to do last week and ended up giving in. Start out at a % and take it from there. Research, watch videos, Raw Food Media has some great videos.

Good luck! Remember, do the best you can. Work your way up. Experiment with recipe's.
#5 Old 06-27-2007, 08:18 PM

I went raw for a bit but love my rice and grains too much, it was great though, in now only about 80% raw, which is still pretty good i think, ive got a dehydrator but i couldnt be ass'd, it takes several hours to dry stuff out and thats alot of electricity!!!! I dont do sprouts much but i want to get into them, im more of a juicer. Goodluck with it though, i definately noticed the difference in my health!!!! But even being mostly raw is still great if you dont want to loose the rice.
#6 Old 06-28-2007, 11:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

how can i live without rice?

You can either soak it or sprout it. I'm new to the raw thing myself so I can't tell you much about either method. But this site is a nice reference for what can be sprouted and what can't (beans included).

Quote:

Whats a dehydrator? Are they easy to use?

Dehydrators simply pull the moisture out of the food so the food can be dried. Problem with most of them (sold in US) is that they dehdyrate at around 140* which is waaayyyy too hot for raw. There are solar dehydrator/home made dehydrator plans all over the net if you want to build your own and there are instructions for how to dehydrate in the oven (not easy). From what I've read Excalibur is supposed to be the best dehydrator but they're a bit on the dear side. I have a dehdyrator myself, but it's a cheap one and it dehydrates at around 140* (didn't know that when I bought it). IMO, they're dead easy to operate: I just load everything on the tray (be sure to prep it properly first - the instruction book will tell you how), plug it in, turn it on and leave it alone for however many hours I'm dehydrating for.

But, like Odalys said, it IS possible to live without one.

Quote:

how do you cope with eating out?

I eat out on my cooked days.

Quote:

and last of all can you give me some tips please on just eveything raw.

www.goneraw.com is my new favourite. I just did a search there for the equipment I have (food processor) and man! I've got some reading to do.

eta: TOG: iirc, the sweet onion sauce is vegan, but it isn't raw.
#7 Old 06-28-2007, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EverGrounded View Post

the sweet onion sauce is vegan, but it isn't raw.

Dang! Where did you find that out? Are there any dressings there that are raw?

What about the stuff that comes on the salad at Olive Garden (vinegar?)?
#8 Old 06-28-2007, 03:28 PM

#9 Old 06-28-2007, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EverGrounded View Post

the sweet onion sauce is vegan, but it isn't raw.

#10 Old 06-29-2007, 03:14 PM
Beginner

Thanks for your help everyone.

What about alchol? Not raw is it?
#11 Old 06-29-2007, 07:37 PM

Quote:

Thanks.

NiceDream,

I've been raw for 19 days but my mom and sister have been at it for 6 weeks. When they first started I ate raw meals and then picked out on junk food still, then when they were on week 3 I jumped on board and really committed at about 90%. I'm at 100% most days but still have some non raw cocoa and carob to use up first.

You have no idea how addicted to food I was, I was hard core addict for junk food, bread and starches of any kind. In 6 days into raw I had so many ailments completely go away. I was getting migraines a lot, couldn't sleep at night because I had a pee problem (I went to alot of doctors and no one could find anything wrong), candida, lymph node pain, my body would ache when I work up every morning, I had no energy at all, would huff and puff up stairs all the time. I'm sure there is more I'm forgetting here.

In 6 days headaches, aches and pains, lymph node pain, were all gone. The other things are really starting to subside. My allergies are finally gone, I have more energy and can stay up late even. I don't huff and puff up stairs anymore like I used too.

Currently I weigh 191 lbs and want to eventually get to 115 lbs. It is not instant but the first week I dropped the most weight but eveyone is different. What also helped is my mom and sister were already raw. I'm someone who loves variety and so I'm more gourmet raw so trying recipes all the time. I personally couldn't live without a dehydrator and have a cheap Ronco that I hate but plan to get and Excalibur which is the best out there right now. Nestco is another good brand for much cheaper and has thermostat control which is what you want.

There is a huge debate on what is the right raw temp but I've recently heard nothing over 115 degrees F and on another forum I'm on most use their dehydrator at 105-115 degrees.

Your cravings will subside but some tips are to always have raw snacks when you leave your house because temptation is everywhere you go Wal-Mart, shopping of any kind. I agree start out slowly and then get into more if you want. After being raw for a bit you will feel so amazing and yes sure you will bet tempted at times but then you have to think about how it will feel in your tummy after you eat.

My mom after being raw for 6 weeks tried to have a half a tin of tuna and felt so sick after. Her stomach was so sick feeling. Also my sister ate some manna type bread and also felt sick. It also depends on what degree or raw you want to go and how strict.

For going out you are limited to salads with lemon juice or you can just eat their dressings. Or if you decide you want to eat out when you go out you can but won't feel as great.

There are some amazing sites out there to help you along the way.

Alissa Cohen (her DVD set is amazing with simple easy to make raw recipes), she also has a great recipe book too

Raw Food Real World is another good book. She has a blog too on her site.

Carmella's Blog with Amazing Recipes (scroll down the the right and you will see recipe index)

This site has some amazing raw recipes too

More Recipes

Greek Recipes

From SAD to RAW (SAD stands for Standard American Diet) Recipes

Also I focus on short goals like I'm going to do 30 days raw and then see, then I'll try 3 months etc. This is also a great place to find out information.

#12 Old 07-08-2007, 02:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatoneguy View Post

I want to say that I found out about the Sweet Onion Sauce from another [raw] forum, but it might have been from an episode of "Unwrapped", too, I'm not sure. I'll see if I can dig around and find where I came across that info....

Olive Garden's dressing, I'm not sure of at all. I took a look at their site and the only thing I could find was that they listed "Low Fat Italian" as their salad dressing, but nothing else besides. I have a feeling that it might not be raw either, but that's just a guess, not solid fact.

Don't ya just love when restaurants make it SO easy to figure out dietary compatibility...</sarcasm>

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page