Getting enough calories - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-05-2006, 11:48 PM

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what types of foods would give me enough calories if I tried raw food for a while.. I have hypoglycemia and I need to eat a lot in order to feel well.. I eat lots of avacados but if I wanted to do raw food for a bit what other things would I eat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-05-2006, 11:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Nut pates are very good, I strongly recommend them. They are very feeling. I make a walnut pate that is great.
#3 Old 05-06-2006, 11:42 AM

I also make nut pates for when I am really hungry. I love walnuts, red pepper, celery, onion and sea salt all in the food processor. Yum! I like to stuff heirloom tomatoes with it.

What about nut milk shakes? Add to nut milk or nut cream some agave nectar and frozen fruit, esp. bananas. Delicious!

Nut butter truffles are good and loaded with calories.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-06-2006, 09:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Raw banana ice cream is really a treat. Just put a few frozen bananas (freeze them without the peel) and some berries or cherries in the food processor and process with almond butter if desired until the mixture has the texture of soft serve ice cream. It takes a few minutes so be patient.
#5 Old 05-07-2006, 03:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawgirl View Post

Raw banana ice cream is really a treat. Just put a few frozen bananas (freeze them without the peel) and some berries or cherries in the food processor and process with almond butter if desired until the mixture has the texture of soft serve ice cream. It takes a few minutes so be patient.

Ok, that sounds great. Will make when I go home for the summer and have a bigger freezer!
#6 Old 05-07-2006, 08:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawgirl View Post

<<<< really, really wishes her food processor was working!

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#7 Old 05-07-2006, 09:09 PM
Banned

I have to question. Do you have lots of food in yall's house. Haha. I mean Does it take lots of food to eat raw? I'm interested. How do you do it with people living with you?
#8 Old 05-07-2006, 09:10 PM
Banned

Oh and for the Nut Pate, can you do it in a blender? Thanks.
#9 Old 05-07-2006, 09:38 PM
Banned

I think maybe back in Feb., I did something like a Strawberry Banana Freeze. I blended the fruit (frozen fruit) up in the blender and added suger and ice I think . And I put it all in the friedge (still in the blender), and I kept chekcing it and stirring it until I came up with this softserve. It was so good yall. Hahaha. I was like man i'm gonna make this agian.
#10 Old 05-08-2006, 02:12 AM
Veggie Regular

I just made my walnut pate with fresh herbs, very tasty. It goes great on celery sticks. I also made a fresh batch of my "Ranch Dressing" and my "500 Island Dressing". I added a little red savina to give it some hot spice.
#11 Old 05-08-2006, 03:24 PM
Beginner

I'm eating a banana sliced in half with raw almond butter and a sprinkle of cinnamon as I write this as my post workout snack. It's delicous. Could put all the same in ingredigents in a blener using frozen bananas as a smoothie. Raw sesame butter works well too.
#12 Old 05-09-2006, 04:15 AM

oooh Ive heard about raw almond butter that sounds great.. Im going to go buy some soon.. someone also told me tropical fruits with more fats in them are good too so that explains the bananas

thanks a lot for your suggestions...
#13 Old 05-15-2006, 02:37 PM
Beginner

I still can't fathom where you guys are getting your calories from in the raw food diet. I'm only averaging about 1500 calories a day from fruits, veggies and nuts. I've been cheating with roasted chicken or pork chops just to get more protein and calories in and I'm still only at about 2100! I should be consuming 2700 total calories for my body type and activity. Body fat has shaken off all around my body, but I'm skinny so this isn't a good sign if it continues. 5'8'' 130 lbs skinny...

My diet looks like this:

4 walnuts

12 almonds

4 macademia nuts

1 brazil nut

1 tablespoon of cacao nibs

0.5 tbs of extra virgin olive oil

half a large avocado

teaspoon of freshly ground flax seeds

1 gala apple

2 medium sized bananas

5 dried apricots

1/4 cantaloupe

1 orange

handful goji berries

1/2 cup raisins

3 strawberries

half a large shiitake mushroom

8 whole okras

8 baby carrots

4 big leaves of kale

Few broccoli florets and part of the stem

half a large zucchini

2 red fresno peppers

1 habanero

1 garlic clove

350g of organic/free range chicken breast (yes, I know, don't hate me too much)

4 cups of water

Is that considered little or plenty? I'm not sure I can really afford to buy more unless I purchase conventionally grown produce. Funny thing is, I'm completly full by the end of the day even on the few calories I'm eating. Also my minerals and vitamins are off the chart except for Vit E, D, B12 and calcium.
#14 Old 05-15-2006, 05:57 PM

I had problems getting all my calorie needs from strict raw, and my fat intake was way too high. it was hard for me to get enough protein(for me) without OD'ing on fat.
#15 Old 05-17-2006, 06:54 PM
Beginner

I agree, Purrpelle. I'd have to be upping my fat intake to huge limits to get my required calories on raw. Other people are doing fine, so I'm just missing something. Like I forgot a food group that's just waiting to be eaten... I've been averaging little over 2000 calories this past week yet I'm feeling fine. I catch myself bouncing around my apartment more often. No idea where this energy is coming from. Hoping it won't stop. Maybe cooked food really is that bad for you! I'm afraid sometime next week I'll crash and be forced to go back to rice and beans.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page