fruitarian/raw vegan compromise - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-29-2006, 03:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I have an idea I think that will allow me to enjoy preparing my raw food cuisine, but still remain loyal to my fruitarian diet of whole raw fruits and fruit like vegetables.

I think I will prepare raw food cuisine for my friends and family, and then eat raw whole fruits for myself. This way, when I go to the market, it will be easy to buy my fruits and then the few additional items to complete the raw cuisine recipes.

I really do miss the creativity aspect of raw cuisine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-29-2006, 03:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Do you enjoy being a fruitarian and are there great health benefits to you?

I think your plan sounds like a good one if you miss the creativity of preparing raw food meals.
#3 Old 04-29-2006, 06:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes, there is no doubt, I can tell a difference in how I feel.

I look forward to making all my nice raw food cuisine meals again. I liked making stuff and taking pictures to share with everyone.

I still get people who send me emails thanking me for my modified spicy broccoli and cheese recipe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-29-2006, 06:35 PM

Peace,

What sparked you to become a fruitatarian
#5 Old 04-29-2006, 08:09 PM
Veggie Regular

I just feel fruitarianism works for me. No particular moment in life inspired me, I just did my own private research and felt it was the right thing for me to do.

Even if I go back to raw vegan (meaning I eat both fruits and vegetables), I feel I will have benefited from the experience regardless.
#6 Old 04-30-2006, 06:04 PM

for friends??????

Yippee!!! I live in Ohio.

Your friend,

Nini
#7 Old 04-30-2006, 07:09 PM
Veggie Regular

NiniJan, no problem, I just made some raw fruitarian spaghetti and raw fruitarian meat sauce. (I will post the recipe eventually)

I will set the dish out by the road side tonight. Just put the plate back when you are done.
LL
#8 Old 04-30-2006, 07:45 PM
Beginner

mmmm, your spaghetti looks good, SW!
#9 Old 04-30-2006, 07:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataka View Post

mmmm, your spaghetti looks good, SW!

Well, I was able to pull some strings and get the warden to let me have a saladaco in my cell. I was able to turn some zucchini squash into spaghetti in no time.

Luckily now, I am out of the can. However, I am not free to reek havoc as before, I have one of those ankle bracelet thingies
#10 Old 04-30-2006, 08:06 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelWilson View Post

However, I am not free to reek havoc as before, I have one of those ankle bracelet thingies

awww lol
#11 Old 04-30-2006, 09:03 PM
Veggie Regular

that sauce looks very good.
#12 Old 04-30-2006, 09:52 PM
Veggie Regular

jenna, thanks a lot for the compliment, you have inspired me, here is the recipe...

Meat Sauce (for spaghetti)

2 pints organic sweet grape tomatoes

1 cup sun-dried tomatoes, soaked

2 tablespoons mashed avocado

1 handful of basil

2 teaspoons dried oregano

2 cloves garlic

Grey Celtic Sea Salt, fresh ground to taste

sun-dried black pepper, fresh ground to taste

1 habanero pepper

1/2 cup crushed walnuts

1 red bell pepper diced

Blend all the ingredients (accept the crushed walnuts and bell pepper) together in a food processor and add water to get the right consistency. After blending, then add the diced bell pepper and crushed walnuts. There you have it, a nice meat sauce. It has the look and texture of pasta sauce with ground beef.

Substitutions: Any tomatoes will do. The sun-dried tomatoes can be oil packed if that is all you can find at the market. You can just substitute the 2 tablespoons of mashed avocado with EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil). You can use dried basil if you don't have fresh. Any unprocessed sea salt will do. Any ground black pepper will do. You don't have to add the habanero if you don't want, you can just add a dash of cayenne.

If you have any questions, just post them and I will answer your questions. Just to make sure there is no confusion, you can leave out the garlic, basil and oregano if you want this to be a fruitarian dish. You make it as is if you want this to be a raw food dish.

I made this for some friends. I did however make an altered version for myself so I could have a fruitarian meal (yes, I actually ate raw fruitarian cuisine today).
#13 Old 05-01-2006, 02:27 AM
Beginner

The recipe you posted will be the first recipe I ever follow word for word. Thank you for posting it, Samuel. Glad to see another habanero aficionado. I'd take a picture of the finished product, but my webcam makes food look like throw-up. Well I guess it wouldn't matter for sauce, but you get the idea.
#14 Old 05-01-2006, 03:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Zasko, you don't want to get me started on habaneros. The red savina is my favorite variety. This is the hottest chile pepper in the world.

I have some sun-dried Red Savina powder and let me tell you, it is no joke. I usually add an orange habanero to most recipes and then I add the red savina powder and it really sets my raw recipes on fire.
#15 Old 05-01-2006, 03:15 AM
Veggie Regular

hot dang sammy, yer pretty cool that you can go like all the way... i wonder if you try to be all organic too? thats prolly like the last step to the perfect diet, right? although red savinas are not organic... but i still wanna try one of them mofos anyway! cuz im a habanero lover too, but want something more than the typical orange!!
#16 Old 05-01-2006, 03:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsy View Post

hot dang sammy, yer pretty cool that you can go like all the way... i wonder if you try to be all organic too? thats prolly like the last step to the perfect diet, right? although red savinas are not organic... but i still wanna try one of them mofos anyway! cuz im a habanero lover too, but want something more than the typical orange!!

Red Savina is actually a trademark of GNS Spices of Southern California. It is possible to get Red Savina seeds and grow them for your own personal consumption. If you grow them yourself, you can grow them without the use of pesticides and they would pesticide free like organic, but lack the certification.

Honestly though, seasoning food with fresh Red Savina peppers is probably not a good idea. I have had them and they are nothing you want to snack on. I would say get one if you can and try it but be prepared for some pain.

If you want something to be hot, try adding 2 finely diced orange habaneros to your recipes, including the seed and membrane. If that is not hot enough then you are either crazy or you have no feeling in your mouth.
#17 Old 05-01-2006, 03:37 AM
Veggie Regular

yeah, legally you couldnt say theyre organic, cuz they "belong to gns"... (what tards)... does anyone else lay claim to a species of plant as nazi as gns does? and yeah, i usually do that with oranges, its hot as heydiddy, but i still yearn for something that will TOTALLY blow my freakin mind!!! you know what i mean, eh?? i know is necessary for these warnings, but i know im ready for the red! bring it on, mothertruckers!!!
#18 Old 05-01-2006, 01:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I just want to mention that the spaghetti is made by spiral slicing zucchini squash and yellow squash. You will need a spiral slicer (saladaco), which are sold at most places kitchenware is sold. Surprisingly, I see them for sale at the grocery store now (Publix).
#19 Old 05-01-2006, 01:30 PM

I cannot WAIT to go home and make that recipe. It looks so GOOD!

I still eat sprouted pasta or whole wheat pasta that I make myself. But the sauce looks so yummy...I have a pint of Organic cherry tomatos calling my name!

Thanks!
#20 Old 05-01-2006, 02:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeenKitty View Post

I cannot WAIT to go home and make that recipe. It looks so GOOD!

I still eat sprouted pasta or whole wheat pasta that I make myself. But the sauce looks so yummy...I have a pint of Organic cherry tomatos calling my name!

Thanks!

KeenKitty, I am glad your excited about making this fabulous raw recipe. I really do enjoy making it and my friends and family love it as well.

Oh, I got my Vidalia Onions and added 1/2 a cup of diced onions. I didn't throw my Vidalia Onions out after all
#21 Old 05-02-2006, 02:16 PM

Maaaaan I just ate your pasta sauce over sprouted noodles.

SO GOOD!

My very picky husband even downed a plate!

Today I brought leftovers to work with me and everyone was saying "Oh that smells so good! what is that?" and they wanted the recipe!

I think I might add TVP for protein...and the sweet vidalia onions were the best!

Yummers Thanks Samuel!
#22 Old 05-02-2006, 03:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeenKitty View Post

Maaaaan I just ate your pasta sauce over sprouted noodles. SO GOOD! My very picky husband even downed a plate! Today I brought leftovers to work with me and everyone was saying "Oh that smells so good! what is that?" and they wanted the recipe! I think I might add TVP for protein...and the sweet vidalia onions were the best! Yummers Thanks Samuel!

KeenKitty, glad you liked it. Yeah, since your not a raw foodist, you can freely substitute the walnuts with TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein).

Another great idea is to make a large batch of the meat sauce (have decided to just call it pasta sauce with walnuts), and then freeze it the small pint jars. This way on days you decide you want to enjoy the sauce, you can just set the jar in the refrigerator to thaw (put the jar in warm water for faster thawing, etc.).

Many of the recipes I make are good tasting, even to non-raw people, as you found out with your husband.

I have a question for you now. Does you husband actually no the sauce he ate is healthy? You might not want to tell him, he might not like it then, lol.
#23 Old 05-02-2006, 08:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I made this a while ago and YUM! it's fabulous. definitely a keeper. My mom had some, as well, and really enjoyed it. She's raw friendly. The rest of the family hasn't had any of it, yet.

You should put this recipe in the recipe section.
#24 Old 05-02-2006, 10:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna View Post

You should put this recipe in the recipe section.

I know, I know, I have contributed to the recipe section before though. I just haven't got around to it.
#25 Old 05-06-2006, 07:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelWilson View Post

Luckily now, I am out of the can. However, I am not free to reek havoc as before, I have one of those ankle bracelet thingies

Oh thank god - I hear havoc smells horrible.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page