Raw Food Log - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-20-2006, 03:54 PM
Beginner

Because some of you had an interest in what a raw fooder eats here's a great example, and it is kind of close to fruitarian. I have found this to be one of the best raw food logs I've seen in terms of intake of fresh, whole plant food.

There's also a lot of other info on here, including a great pictoral of before, during and afters. And how she came to raw, how she did raw before doing it this way, etc. She is very detailed in her info.

http://www.ringlet.org/journals/2002/June2002.php

An intersesting thing you'll notice is how Janie very tiny she is (now) yet eats a huge amount of food, in terms of bulk and caloric intake. It is quite a lot of water rich and low-fat plant food which is probably why.

(If I was this complete, I'd be posting my own, but I have my own kinks to work out!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-22-2006, 10:30 AM
Veggie Regular

I've seen this site before and it really inspired me to add more raw foods in my diet.

I looked through the pictures again and I think she looked best when she was 5 months raw (nov. 2002). After that she looks like a little kid.
#3 Old 04-22-2006, 10:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks I was bugging another memeber here last nght about info on raw food.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-22-2006, 11:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Wow! This is amazing and gives me lots of inspiration and motivation that I was needing.
#5 Old 04-22-2006, 03:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't think she eats much food at all based on her log.

I also have to agree with CaptainSwab, a 40 yr old woman shouldn't be fitting into kid's size pants.
#6 Old 04-22-2006, 03:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, she entered her food into fitday.com and she came out with 4,000 calories on one of the days. I think she looks great.
#7 Old 04-22-2006, 04:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, when she was 5 months raw, she weighed 105. 2 years raw, 100. That's not much difference. 5 month raw picture, she's wearing a long sleeved shirt and 2 year raw, a tiny a bikini top. Plus, she's really short. 5'1".

She was also working on a way to add lots of muscle, too. So, all in all, it seems to work out. She's definitely not undereating, so I think she looks good.
#8 Old 04-22-2006, 05:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon View Post

http://www.ringlet.org/journals/2002/June2002.php

An intersesting thing you'll notice is how Janie very tiny she is (now) yet eats a huge amount of food, in terms of bulk and caloric intake.

Please show me where you find logs that show a "huge amount of food in terms of bulk and caloric intake" because, while I may see some bulk I do NOT see a huge amount of calories being taken in. This woman looks like she is starving to death, IMO

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#9 Old 04-22-2006, 05:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I looked through some more and she has some rocking muscles on her arms.

I did notice that when she writes about eating dinner she has 5 or 6 cups of lettuce alone. That is one huge salad. And sometimes for breakfast she has 5 bananas in her smoothies.

What do you guys think about 80% carb, 10 protien, 10 fat?
#10 Old 04-22-2006, 06:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSwab View Post

I have worked with anorexics who look like they have large muscles because there is NO bodyfat and that's what she reminded me of That being said, I wish her the best and hope she really *is* healthy.

Quote:

I did notice that when she writes about eating dinner she has 5 or 6 cups of lettuce alone. That is one huge salad. And sometimes for breakfast she has 5 bananas in her smoothies. ?

Yes, that's a large volume;It's still not very high in calories. Also, her smoothies are usually made up of types of bananas that are very small, not the huge ones we usually think of when we think of "bananas" and still don't add up to make a very caloric day.

Quote:

IWhat do you guys think about 80% carb, 10 protien, 10 fat?

That's what many vegan-freindly Doctors suggest (think McDougal).

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#11 Old 04-22-2006, 08:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I dunno the pictures of the bananas look like the same size and type we have around here
#12 Old 04-22-2006, 09:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I did notice that when she writes about eating dinner she has 5 or 6 cups of lettuce alone. That is one huge salad. And sometimes for breakfast she has 5 bananas in her smoothies.

What do you guys think about 80% carb, 10 protien, 10 fat?

Actually in most of her posts her salad for dinner is more toward 15-17 cups of greens.

Yeah, her muscles are great.
#13 Old 04-22-2006, 09:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

Please show me where you find logs that show a "huge amount of food in terms of bulk and caloric intake" because, while I may see some bulk I do NOT see a huge amount of calories being taken in. This woman looks like she is starving to death, IMO

In one of her posts she mentions adding up her food on fitday.com and it being around 4,000 calories.
#14 Old 04-23-2006, 01:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrlin View Post

I dunno the pictures of the bananas look like the same size and type we have around here

I have only seen red and fingerling bananas (which are very small but in her pics are shown as large in close up and even if they are average bananas, that's still less than 600 calories for 5) but I truly hope she's eating lots of calories. I don't see how she can be eating the 4,000 calories some say she's eating and look so drawn and emaciated unless she suffers from an intestinal parasite, nutritional deficeincies or some illness and, again, I don't see that post stating she ate 4,000 calories on any day and would love for someone to show me that link as the days I see posted are sparse and not at all balanced nutritionaly.

#15 Old 04-23-2006, 07:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I have only seen red and fingerling bananas (which are very small but in her pics are shown as large in close up and even if they are average bananas, that's still less than 600 calories for 5) but I truly hope she's eating lots of calories. I don't see how she can be eating the 4,000 calories some say she's eating and look so drawn and emaciated unless she suffers from an intestinal parasite, nutritional deficeincies or some illness and, again, I don't see that post stating she ate 4,000 calories on any day and would love for someone to show me that link as the days I see posted are sparse and not at all balanced nutritionaly.

She does not look emaciated. I think in America we're just so accustomed to seeing fat people that thin people look that way. To me she looks great. She's got nice muscle and she said in her log that her goal is to put on 20 more pounds of muscle, so I don't really think there's any need to worry. Plus, when you eat an all raw diet that's low in fat, you can eat tons of calories and you will stay thin.
#16 Old 04-23-2006, 11:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawgirl View Post

She does not look emaciated. I think in America we're just so accustomed to seeing fat people that thin people look that way. To me she looks great. She's got nice muscle and she said in her log that her goal is to put on 20 more pounds of muscle, so I don't really think there's any need to worry. Plus, when you eat an all raw diet that's low in fat, you can eat tons of calories and you will stay thin.

Meh, what do I know anyway, I'm just a nutritionist who used to teach at Optimum Health Institute (100% raw foods center)

#17 Old 04-23-2006, 12:19 PM

I don't think she looks emaciated either. she's certainly slim, and at 5'1" and 100lbs is fine if you are small framed.

the one picture where she's in the bikini top I think makes her look very thin, but the very last one at the bottom, she looks quite normal.
#18 Old 04-23-2006, 12:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd be interested in seeing the 4,000 caloric day. I've been poking around her logs and haven't found it. On the flip side, there is strong evidence that low calorie diets increase life span. I think it's around 1200 cal/day eta for an average slender person. I've been seeing strong opposition about this from fellow students at school. People really don't like the idea of low calorie life styles but no matter how you cut it, salad does not have a lot of caloric weight and it's weird that some think it does. I'm guessing this might be due to cellulose content?
#19 Old 04-23-2006, 12:26 PM
Veggie Regular

http://www.ringlet.org/photos/progre...ack-SwmTop.JPG

Yeah, that's the kind of picture that makes the Doctors at the ED clinic cringe...

I think I'll just keep most of my opinions to myself because this isn't the Heap...I just worry about all those with ED's who think that being emaciated is okay and that restricting ones diet further is a good, safe, acceptable thing, ya know?

#20 Old 04-23-2006, 12:30 PM

I didn't look at her diet at all.

eating raw is less calorically no matter how you slice it and big in bulk, and that's why people lose weight when they go raw.

I am dubious about 17 cups of greens though. how long would it take you eat that?

and if you juiced it, would you still get the same protein and carbs if you take out the fiber?
#21 Old 04-23-2006, 12:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Yeah, that's the kind of picture that makes the Doctors at the ED clinic cringe...

I think I'll just keep most of my opinions to myself because this isn't the Heap...I just worry about all those with ED's who think that being emaciated is okay and that restricting ones diet further is a good, safe, acceptable thing, ya know?

I hope you don't keep your opinions to yourself considering you are a nutritionist and have worked in the raw food industry etc.
#22 Old 04-23-2006, 12:32 PM

Quote:

please tell me how 5'1" and 100 lbs is emaciated. she's thin, yea, but not emaciated.

ETA: I think she looks thinner in that photo because her muscles are engaged because of the stuff she's holding.
#23 Old 04-23-2006, 12:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrpelle View Post

I didn't look at her diet at all.

eating raw is less calorically no matter how you slice it and big in bulk, and that's why people lose weight when they go raw.

I am dubious about 17 cups of greens though. how long would it take you eat that?

and if you juiced it, would you still get the same protein and carbs if you take out the fiber?

The fiber would certainly cut out probably 50% but I'm pretty sure this is taken into account when RDA formulas are calculated but don't quote me on that. How many calories are in one cup of salad? I've looked at fitday and nutritiondata and both give an average of 5 tho maybe I'm looking at the wrong type of green? btw, hope your head is feeling good today. lol
#24 Old 04-23-2006, 12:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

please tell me how 5'1" and 100 lbs is emaciated. she's thin, yea, but not emaciated.

ETA: I think she looks thinner in that photo because her muscles are engaged because of the stuff she's holding.

I don't know if I would call her emaciated yet but she's on her way with a BMI of 18.9, not that I would care really providing she takes care of her own business of course.

eta: it's seeing her rib cage that's kind of freaky tho she has nice, healthy looking legs. If she did have a lot of muscle she would weigh more because muscle is heavier then fat isn't it?
#25 Old 04-23-2006, 12:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I have met some raw vegans who have looked amazingly healthy. I met David Wolfe once and he looked fantastic. Shazzie looks incredible too www.shazzie.com. I have spent time at raw vegan retreats and I absolutely loved the food. You certainly lose weight eating that way too!

#26 Old 04-23-2006, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaya View Post

I don't know if I would call her emaciated yet but she's on her way with a BMI of 18.9, not that I would care really providing she takes care of her own business of course.

eta: it's seeing her rib cage that's kind of freaky tho she has nice, healthy looking legs. If she did have a lot of muscle she would weigh more because muscle is heavier then fat isn't it?

well, I just skimmed through some of her stuff and when she was at 102lbs. her body fat % was 20.something %, which is low but still normal for a female. female figure models get down much lower than that before competition.

plus, she's small framed.

muscle is denser than fat but still it wouldn't make that big of a difference in her weight, but it would in how she looks. 100 lbs at 20% Body fat and 100 at 30% body fat would look radically different.

gaya: LOL my heads fine, unfourtunatly it was an early nite. you?
#27 Old 04-23-2006, 01:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

well, I just skimmed through some of her stuff and when she was at 102lbs. her body fat % was 20.something %, which is low but still normal for a female. female figure models get down much lower than that before competition.

plus, she's small framed.

muscle is denser than fat but still it wouldn't make that big of a difference in her weight, but it would in how she looks. 100 lbs at 20% Body fat and 100 at 30% body fat would look radically different.

Only time will tell if her type of diet is the way to go. Do you really think she has 20% body fat? I don't much about that and I'm not experienced enough to know by looking at a pic. I've played around with some fat calculators before (we have an exercise phys department in the same building as my department). It could really be a benefit to have such little fat as well as a detriment. On the one hand estrogen produced by adipose is linked to certain cancers, on the other hand the benefits of estrogen for CV is well known. I wonder if she has amonorrhea. Again, I wish there was a way to keep track of such people (for nutrition science) so we can learn from them and see what works out well and what doesn't.

Quote:
gaya: LOL my heads fine, unfourtunatly it was an early nite. you?

It was an earlier night then expected (we were supposed to be out all night but came home around 3).
#28 Old 04-23-2006, 01:19 PM

Quote:

Only time will tell if her type of diet is the way to go. Do you really think she has 20% body fat? I don't much about that and I'm not experienced enough to know by looking at a pic. I've played around with some fat calculators before (we have an exercise phys department in the same building as my department). It could really be a benefit to have such little fat as well as a detriment. On the one hand estrogen produced by adipose is linked to certain cancers, on the other hand the benefits of estrogen for CV is well known. I wonder if she has amonorrhea. Again, I wish there was a way to keep track of such people (for nutrition science) so we can learn from them and see what works out well and what doesn't.

19% is the low end for women, but I know of a lot of athletes who are lower 16-18 % and are just fine, because they're body is adapted to it. then there's the genetic factor- some people are naturally thin like I will naturally have a big ass no matter how much weight I lose lol

You're right, only time will tell, but the skeptic in me thinks that even though her log seems pretty detailed it doesn't have any bloodwork or things of that nature, so it's still anecdotal, right? (you've taught me well, sensei I sound like you)

Quote:

It was an earlier night then expected (we were supposed to be out all night but came home around 3).

I really like the smoking ban in NJ!
#29 Old 04-23-2006, 01:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

19% is the low end for women, but I know of a lot of athletes who are lower 16-18 % and are just fine, because they're body is adapted to it. then there's the genetic factor- some people are naturally thin like I will naturally have a big ass no matter how much weight I lose lol

You're right, only time will tell, but the skeptic in me thinks that even though her log seems pretty detailed it doesn't have any bloodwork or things of that nature, so it's still anecdotal, right? (you've taught me well, sensei I sound like you)

lol yea, it's only anecdotal unless she decides to get involved and most don't.

Quote:
I really like the smoking ban in NJ!

we have that in mass too. cigs should be illegal imo
#30 Old 04-23-2006, 01:40 PM
Veggie Regular

The 4,000 calorie post was under the 2004 Journal Logs on Thursday, May

13th. Here is what she ate:

8:00 water from 3.5 young coconuts (64 oz)

9:30 2.5 pounds watermelon (4 cups)

1:15 19 medium cooking bananas ( equal to 13 medium plantains)

6:15 8 oz package of strawberries

7:45 16 cups lettuce, 3 large tomatoes and dressing made of 3 tablespoons of tahini and 6 tablespoons of lemon juice

She says that this comes out to 4,034 calories.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page