Samuel Wilson going back to fruitarianism - Page 5 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#121 Old 04-17-2006, 06:45 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrrrl79 View Post

So by your logic, I should go around having unprotected sex because if something was wrong(an STD), I would know it, right? Why bother protecting yourself when you can just wait for the symptoms to happen? I dunno, I'd rather protect myself accidently, then not protect myself and risk damaging myself. Makes more sense to me.

Well that is a strange analogy. There are way too many variables with that example I don't even want to go there. That would turn into whole other discussion.

And if you want to use a supplement then by all means do. It sounds like you feel really led to do it, and maybe that is why you are urging others to follow suit. All I'm saying is if a person doesn't have a deficiency, there is no need to supplement.

That would be a good line for the next time someone offers meat "No thank you, I don't have a pork deficiency..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 Old 04-17-2006, 06:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Ok forget it. Good luck Samuel~
#123 Old 04-17-2006, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon View Post

"No thank you, I don't have a pork deficiency..."

can't.help.it.:

then i guess you won't be posting in the sexually frustrated thread?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#124 Old 04-17-2006, 06:53 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrpelle View Post

can't.help.it.:

then i guess you won't be posting in the sexually frustrated thread?

I haven't felt the need to check into that thread...
#125 Old 04-17-2006, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon View Post

I haven't felt the need to check into that thread...

i'm sorry Sharon I had to. I spit out my wine it was so unexpected. of all the words you could have used....
#126 Old 04-17-2006, 08:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelWilson View Post

All a B12 test does is measure the amount of B12 in the body. Its only objective is to place fear in test participants in order to support the large corporations who stand to benefit.

B12 in combination with the B12 test is kind of like me going to trial and picking my own jury.

I dislike this "they are all out to get me" attitude.
#127 Old 04-17-2006, 08:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatee View Post

What about drinking one's own urine. I've heard of people who do this but I'm not sure of the consequences or the level of b12 in urine.

My father's best friend does this. He is currently dying of hepatitis though.
#128 Old 04-17-2006, 09:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow_clouds View Post

I dislike this "they are all out to get me" attitude.

No-one's forcing you to read his posts or participate in threads about the man.
#129 Old 04-18-2006, 07:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatee View Post

I thought the avatar may have been a famous person too and I was kinda afraid to ask because I thought everyone was going to laugh at me for not knowing what this famous person looked like. But it isn't anyone famous, it's just DeflatorMouse.

me too
#130 Old 04-18-2006, 08:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by isowish View Post

me too

Me three.

Dang, delfator mouse, you had us all going!

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#131 Old 04-18-2006, 09:01 AM
Veggie Regular

I thought the guy in DeflatorMouse's avatar was the guy from Milli Vanilli

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#132 Old 04-18-2006, 11:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Damn I feel the way Kiss must've felt when they finally took off their makeup and everyone was like aww bummer.

Well if its any consolation ahimsa I can lip sync just as good as BOTH the guys in MV.
#133 Old 04-19-2006, 12:12 AM

i commend you. i believe Ghandi went out as a fruitarian....
#134 Old 04-19-2006, 12:15 AM

he ate milk and fruit
#135 Old 04-19-2006, 01:04 AM
Veggie Regular

kcrobin

Gandhi is da bhomb. Fruit dude extraordinaire.

Cairidh is right, tho. Late in life Gandhi had an attack of dysentery, and the doctors told him he'd have to start drinking milk or he'd die. So he drank it, but he always hated that compromise and kept searching for an alternative. Bummer they hadn't quite figured out soymilk back then.
#136 Old 04-19-2006, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post

However, I am certainly not going to tell anyone whether to supplement or even whether to get a blood test. It's your body, and that's clearly up to you. All I'll say is what I'd do. I do think it's a shame that this thread about Sam's journey has turned into an argument about B12. Maybe what we need is a new "fruitarian journey" thread where all B12 argument is banned. After all, it's his risk to take and he's made his decision. While it's not the decision I would make, I respect his right to make it.

Well said, Tess. I was going to suggest a separate thread. I think both would be valuable and one is certainly being smothered by the other. Like two eaglets in a nest.

What do you think Samuel, would you be willing to journey in a thread if it doesn't involve b12 talk? You could set more parameters too if necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatorMouse View Post

Well if its any consolation ahimsa I can lip sync just as good as BOTH the guys in MV.

... blame it on the rain...

Come on Mightymouse, sing it...
#137 Old 04-19-2006, 02:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Oh man you don't want to get me started on my do-it-yourself attempts. Once I made this stuff out of soymilk & avocadoes. It worked fine once, but overnight it turned into roquefort cheese.

Very OT here but how in the world did you do that?
#138 Old 04-19-2006, 02:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrrrl79 View Post

Perhaps I should care less.

That's the way I roll. If people want to drink their own piss or become breatharian...I've really stopped caring. It's quite liberating!
#139 Old 04-21-2006, 09:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for all the replies everyone, I have been real busy and I haven't been able to post like I used to.

I checked out Whole Foods in Orlando (actually Winter Park), Florida located on Aloma Avenue. I saw all the prepared raw food dishes and I was thinking how nice and convenient it would be to purchase prepared raw food dishes and not have prepare them myself. However, I stayed true to my fruitarianism and got some fruit
#140 Old 04-26-2006, 02:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Ok folks, here is the latest. I do feel better, there is no doubt about it. I am much more springy and energetic.

However, I do miss preparing all the fancy raw cuisine. So in summary, physically I am fine, but mentally, I wish I could be preparing all those wonderful raw food dishes.
#141 Old 04-27-2006, 04:29 AM
Beginner

Fruitarian diet allows the use of nuts, seeds and beans? I thought one could only eat the fruit and must then disperse the unborn seeds. Seems odd I'd only have to drop ****take mushroom, meat, kale, broccoli and ginger root from my diet to be a fruitarian!

Ok, so what would be a good recommendation of a calcium source for a fruitarian? I'm assuming it's just a large combination of mediocre sources, but are there specific big name foods for calcium? I'd love to at least start toward a more fruitarian diet by eating less of that bitter kale stuff. Oh and how does a "Fruitist" defend against underarm odor? Inquiring, but smelly minds want to know (shaving doesn't seem to help one bit!).
#142 Old 04-27-2006, 05:37 AM
Vegan Police Officer

I am very impressed with the philosophy and the ethics behind fruitarianism. It is very tempting. I've been reading up on it for the last week or so and am pretty convinced that LONG-TERM it would be damaging for the health.

But I am very tempted to try it for some time - from a month to a couple of years - and see how it goes.
#143 Old 04-27-2006, 08:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zasko View Post

****take mushroom

Lol, that took me a while to figure out.

Zasko, from what I've heard you're right. A lot of fruitarians avoid seeds, because they consider it inchoate life. I've thought about that, and I personally don't consider seeds to be alive yet (and yeah, I'm pro-abortion. Maybe we ought to just dump the discussion here ).

Fruitarian calcium sources: Brazil nuts (and most nuts in general), soybeans and sea salt are some pretty easy sources. I think goatee's grandmother suggests eating dirt, too. Right goatdude?

Fruitist deoderant: I use Jason Apricot (ingredients: apricot oil, shea butter and certified organic corn starch--all from fruits*) Doesn't have much of a taste, though. Not that I checked.

Diana: You're right, since we have no long-term studies on fruitarianism, it could potentially be a risky venture (as with any extreme dietary change). So far it feels great though. Maybe if you're curious, you don't have to go 100% fruit but you could just try to consciously add more fruits to your diet & less of the potato/onion/garlic sort of stuff. Either way, it's great that you're receptive to the idea.

If more ppl try it out, even for just a week, then we'll have more "experimental data" to go by.

P.S. SamW, so that's really you in your avatar? I thought it was Sam Neil the actor. (Hey as long as everyone's giving me hell for mine, I might as well spread it around).

edit

*Yep, I know that the entire corn stalk is cut to harvest the corn. But I'm not ready to take on commercial harvesting yet. Maybe next year.
#144 Old 04-27-2006, 10:12 AM
Vegan Police Officer

Quote:

Diana: You're right, since we have no long-term studies on fruitarianism, it could potentially be a risky venture (as with any extreme dietary change). So far it feels great though. Maybe if you're curious, you don't have to go 100% fruit but you could just try to consciously add more fruits to your diet & less of the potato/onion/garlic sort of stuff. Either way, it's great that you're receptive to the idea.

DM: How can one not be receptive to the idea of a more peaceful way of eating? Before I try any new diet, I have to study it a lot and go pretty slowly with any changes. I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis a while ago (due to the fact that I stopped smoking... yup... the nicotine had been protecting me from developing it but that is another story) and that is why I have been reading up so much about different diets. A raw food diet would probably help a lot and perhaps even cure it. I'm waiting for a few books that I've ordered (including "Fit For Life" by Harvey and Marilyn Diamond http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/044...lance&n=283155) before making any decision. I'm certainly NOT prepared to have this disease for the rest of my life, that is out of the question.

(One thing is for certain, I'm NOT going to ask for dietary advice from the gastro-enterologist. These guys know f-all about diet. But thankfully they have other qualities.)
#145 Old 04-27-2006, 02:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I just want to clarify my stance on fruitarianism. I think it is the healthiest diet possible. I choose not to argue nor defend my diet against anyone who opposes it. I respect each and everyone's views. If you feel a certain way towards fruitarianism, then that is fine, I am not going to take that away from you.

A big part of fruitarianism is love for all beings, even beings who oppose you or your beliefs. People have a right to think and believe as they choose.
#146 Old 04-27-2006, 02:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Speaking of shiitake mushrooms, I've been wondering whether mushrooms might well fit into the parameters of a fruitarian principle, particularly a liberal one like DeflatorMouse follows. Consider: the mushroom we see is the fruiting body of a much larger organism whose main corpus is underground. Its main purpose is to disperse the spores, contained in the gills, so it's much like a flower or fruit. Harvesting a mushroom does not kill or even substantially harm the whole organism as far as I know. So... fruitarian??
#147 Old 04-27-2006, 02:47 PM
Vegan Police Officer

There seems to be LOADS AND LOADS of things one can eat when one is a fruitarian.

But I'm a bit confused because I'm not sure whether fruitarians COOK their food or if they are always raw-foodists as well. The websites I've visited seem to have both kinds of fruitarians. Would this be a question of being a "pure strict fruitarian" and a "not pure strict fruitarian"? A bit like the difference between vegans and vegetarians?
#148 Old 04-27-2006, 03:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post

But I'm a bit confused because I'm not sure whether fruitarians COOK their food or if they are always raw-foodists as well.

That confuses the heck outta me too. According to wikipedia, "most fruitarians are also raw foodists."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fruitarian

^btw, wikipedia gives a pretty good general description

I definitely see myself going 100% raw by the end of the year. Ppl like Samw definitely have my admiration. But it's tough to do it all at once, especially if you're not very creative in the kitchen (that would be me). Also, being a cooked fruitarian means I can easily get something to eat at most vegan & Chinese & Mexican restaurants without causing too much fuss. It's an easy transition from vegan.

Tess, funny you should mention mushrooms. Those were actually the first things I gave up. I was a no-mushroom vegan for a while, because ...well, because they seem so animal-like, knowhatimean? One day I saw my dog barking at something in the yard, and I thought it might be a frog or a snake. Turned out it was a mushroom. lol
#149 Old 04-28-2006, 02:36 PM
Beginner

Quote:

I was a no-mushroom vegan for a while, because ...well, because they seem so animal-like, knowhatimean?

what the heck kinda mushrooms are you buying?
#150 Old 04-28-2006, 03:15 PM
Vegan Police Officer

I would like somewhere to find a list of ALL the foods that one can eat on a fruitarian diet. (Well, at least most of them).

And I suppose coffee is okay. But not tea.

It's a bit confusing. Needs a lot of research. Lucky there's google to help! Can we maybe start up a thread on all the stuff that can be eaten, with recipes and things?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page