Ordering raw food in a restaurant - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-09-2006, 11:02 AM
Beginner

This subject comes up quite a bit for many people new to raw food.

How and what to order in a restaraunt?

Well, I used to order a large salad and give the waitstaff real specifics, like "no cheese or croutons and avocado instead of meat and dressing on the side".

Then the salad would come with some kind of rice noodles or cooked product on it, or they'd just mess up and add finely shredded cheese which was impossible to get off. I would rarely send it back at that point.

I don't often eat out as it is, and over the years it has come to be sort of an aversion between the challenge of trying to get the idea of fresh food to an uninformed waiter, the cost and the quality of the fruits and veggies.

One thing I've read on a raw support board was to order a salad with everything on the side.

So last week, a friend invited me along with a large group to an Italian restaraunt called Zio's.

I tried the tip of ordering their house salad with "everything" on the side. A friend of mine who was also eating raw ordered a different kind of entree sized salad with all veggies on top of the salad. Then the both of us ordered their brushetta, but just the tomatoes and basil and not the bread and cheese, and two large sides of olive relish.

Well, my salad came, it was small which I was grateful for because I didn't come real hungry. Everything was on the side in little silver cups so I got to choose what to put on my salad. I used the bruchetta topping and the olive relish intead of the oil and vinegar. Everything came exactly as we had ordered it and it was all very tasty.

I felt like I had my own personal salad bar.

My friend discovered that her peppers were charred, which were already on top of her salad.

Everyone got separate checks and my bill came to 2.19. My friend and her hubby must have paid for the tomatoes and olive relish. So I ended up giving my waitress $10. I think a good waitstaff should get the appreciation of a generous tip when they get your order correct. Now what I tipped might be way over the top for someone else, but I had already planned to spend about that much so it wasn't a big deal to me.

Another tip for ordering is to scan the menu and if you see mushrooms, olives, avocadoes, fruit or whatever, then almost always you can get a full order or at the very least, a side of it.

If you notice that their desserts have fresh strawberries, you can order a plate of strawberries before or after your salad for some variety, or to put right in your salad if you'd like.

Many times, especially in a Mexican restaurant I will ask for avocado instead of cheese, or a side of avocado.

I've heard of people even ordering a plate of uncooked veggies in an Asian - usually Thai or Chinese restaurant. These kinds of restaraunts usually cook the food to order, they are not sitting around pre-cooked, so getting all the veggies on a plate should be easy. You can ask for dipping sauce if you aren't 100% raw, or bring some homemade sauce along with you.

I've used a special card before, but it didn't really work with me. The card summed up what I could eat and it is supposed to be handed to the waitstaff. I think the one time I used it, I just got a waitress who wasn't too understanding about diet, and my salad came to me with cheese and croutons. But I've heard others with great success using the card, so it all depends on the type of restaurant and your waitstaff's understanding of a different diet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-09-2006, 11:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Those are some really great tips! (Boy and I thought ordering cooked vegan food in a restaurant was tough).

What amazes me is how people can work with food all day long and not really have a clue about it. I know a raw vegan diet isn't the most popular one they would be used to dealing with, but what's so complicated about getting the idea of "all raw, no cooked foods" right?
#3 Old 04-09-2006, 01:25 PM
Veggie Regular

When I would go out when I was all raw, I would tell them that I wanted a salad with only raw veggies and make it clear that I eat nothing cooked. No dressing ,croutons, cheese, etc. Then I'd order a side of steamed veggies, but tell them to leave the veggies raw. I'd bring along an avocado, or if I went out for Mexican, I would have guacamole. One time I went to a Mexican restaurant and they brought all the guacamole ingredients out to my table and made my guacamole right there in front of me. They made me a huge bowl and I ate all of it. Also, bring your own dressing along. I never like to eat the olive oil at restaurants because you never know how cheap it is and if it's even olive oil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-11-2006, 01:12 AM

well, the title says it...i've been a veggie since '92....i've heard of raw foods, but don't know specifically and exactly what it is...????
#5 Old 04-11-2006, 01:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Davisfilip, raw foods are uncooked foods...foods that have *never* been heat processed to above between 108 and 115 degrees is what is commonly accepted as "raw". Things people may think are "raw" actually aren't (such as oils and spices etc. even frozen vegetables and fruits, sauces, most condiments, olives, seeds and nuts) and so there is often a lot of confusion in these areas.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#6 Old 04-11-2006, 01:26 AM

thanks--yes, i've been confused because i hear different things from different people...so, is it basically eaten in the form that it grows? why is it that the temps of108-115 degrees is ok? i'm so curious about this! where/why/ who started this? are kids raised this way from birth? i'd love any info~

thanks
#7 Old 04-11-2006, 01:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by davisfilip View Post

thanks--yes, i've been confused because i hear different things from different people...so, is it basically eaten in the form that it grows? why is it that the temps of108-115 degrees is ok? i'm so curious about this! where/why/ who started this? are kids raised this way from birth? i'd love any info~

thanks

That is the temperature at which enzymes begin to die;It is believed (by raw foodists) that we are not meant to eat cooked food, that cooked food is toxic or "poison" and that raw food is clearly superior. Raw foodism is gaining in popularity and some people raise thier children this way. Check out www.thegardendiet.com for a few examples of raw children.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#8 Old 04-11-2006, 09:38 AM
Beginner

There is a whole thread about what is raw in this section. But a lot of people tend to confuse raw with uncooked when it really means fresh, as in something that was recently picked off a plant. Generally *fresh* fruits, vegetables complimented by nuts and seeds (which are dried but many people soak before eating them).

A lot of folks include Lara Bars, olive oil, lots of nuts and seasonigs etc. as a big part of their raw diet instead of focusing more on fresh foods.
#9 Old 04-11-2006, 09:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I am definitely intrigued about the enzyme theory. I don't really understand how it is supposed to work since the enzymes would all be inactivated in the stomach anyways due to the low pH. The pH is low for a number of reasons, one being to help the breakdown of proteins (which enzymes are).

The extreme acidity in the stomach is the reason why bicarbonate is released into the small intestine to raise the pH (reduce the acidity) so that the enzymes excreted into the small intestine for digestion can work.

So what do raw foodists say to this? Where are the enzymes supposed to work? I once heard that the enzymes present in food aid in it's digestion, but this doesn't really make sense because why would a plant have enzymes in it that would help to destroy it? Unless that theory is based on combining certain foods? And even then, the action would be extremely short since all the enzymes would be denatured in the stomach.

I do feel that raw food is definitely healthy (but I do not think cooked foods are toxic, on the other hand, some are less toxic due to heat treatment). But I just can't come to terms with the enzyme theory. Maybe that's due to ignorance about the theory on my part?
#10 Old 04-11-2006, 10:14 AM
Beginner

It seems that the enzyme thing keeps getting brought up here. Not sure why.

It might help you to google that - I don't know of any raw foodists who do it because of enzymes.

You can try www.rawschool.com or http://www.foodnsport.com/mambo2/ind...d=66&Itemid=60 as to why eating fresh food is so health promoting and healing.
#11 Old 04-11-2006, 10:40 AM
Veggie Regular

I brought it up due to this previous post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

That is the temperature at which enzymes begin to die;It is believed (by raw foodists) that we are not meant to eat cooked food, that cooked food is toxic or "poison" and that raw food is clearly superior. Raw foodism is gaining in popularity and some people raise thier children this way. Check out www.thegardendiet.com for a few examples of raw children.

Thanks for the links. The www.rawchool.com one does say:

"Enzymes are destroyed, thus forcing the body to use its own vitality and reserves to digest the food and remove and detoxify the impurities."

The other site says:

"Ninety nine percent of all enzymes, coenzymes, phytonutrients, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals are damaged beyond usefulness or destroyed completely in the exposure to the heat that accompanies cooking."

I'm completely off topic.. I know. I'm just curious. Perhaps I should start another thread.
#12 Old 04-12-2006, 12:27 AM

yeah, well its my fault that all this is in here because i asked the ignorant question (i actually meant for it to be a new thread, but messed up) SORRY!
#13 Old 04-12-2006, 09:39 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by davisfilip View Post

yeah, well its my fault that all this is in here because i asked the ignorant question (i actually meant for it to be a new thread, but messed up) SORRY!

Of course your question was not ignorant. But do have a look through some of the other threads in this section. There are some great sites and many folks do raise their children raw vegan. I think as long as they are doing it correctly, especially using a high amount of fruits with activity the kids do extraordinarily great. Try www.thegardendiet.com to check out a whole raw vegan family.
#14 Old 04-12-2006, 12:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Personally, I like to walk back in the kitchen. If they have a produce cooler, I will go ahead and open the door and walk in there. Usually by this time, a restaurant manager is asking me weird questions. Stuff like, who are you? What are you doing? You know, the usual questions people ask when total strangers are walking around in the produce cooler.

I then begin to gather all the fresh fruits and vegetables that I desire for my meal and then I take them back to my table and have myself a raw vegan feast.
#15 Old 04-12-2006, 01:42 PM
Veggie Regular

The only problem with ordering raw food in a restaurant, is that its not going to be organic.

Oh, and the whole enzyme stuff is bull****. We've already discussed this issue.
#16 Old 04-12-2006, 02:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX-1138 View Post

The only problem with ordering raw food in a restaurant, is that its not going to be organic.

Oh, and the whole enzyme stuff is bull****. We've already discussed this issue.

Hmm, do you have a link? I did a search and all I can find is people supporting the enzyme theory.
#17 Old 04-12-2006, 02:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyvel View Post

Hmm, do you have a link? I did a search and all I can find is people supporting the enzyme theory.

Search the medical journals. The people who support the enzyme 'theory' are pseudo-scientists (eg. David Wolfe and Doug Graham).
#18 Old 04-12-2006, 02:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Search the medical journals. The people who support the enzyme 'theory' are pseudo-scientists (eg. David Wolfe and Doug Graham).

Ohhh, I thought you meant specifically on this board Thanks.
#19 Old 04-12-2006, 07:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Brian Clement is not a pseudo-scientist and the basis of the nutritional aspect of the program at Hippocrates Health Institute, which he directs, is that raw foods, especially the spouts which are alive until the moment you eat them, are enzyme rich. I've also seen amazing things happen for myself and other people with the addition of digestive enzymes. The enzyme stuff is NOT bull****.
#20 Old 04-12-2006, 09:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawgirl View Post

Brian Clement is not a pseudo-scientist and the basis of the nutritional aspect of the program at Hippocrates Health Institute, which he directs, is that raw foods, especially the spouts which are alive until the moment you eat them, are enzyme rich. I've also seen amazing things happen for myself and other people with the addition of digestive enzymes. The enzyme stuff is NOT bull****.

Just out of curiosity, how do you know that it's the enzymes in these foods, and not something else, that's causing the effects?

What exactly do these enzymes do? I'm confused. Because any action would need to happen before the food hits the stomach, because then they would be digested, along with the rest of the proteins in the food...?
#21 Old 04-13-2006, 11:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawgirl View Post

This issue has been discussed and settled.
#22 Old 04-13-2006, 11:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyvel View Post

Just out of curiosity, how do you know that it's the enzymes in these foods, and not something else, that's causing the effects?

What exactly do these enzymes do? I'm confused. Because any action would need to happen before the food hits the stomach, because then they would be digested, along with the rest of the proteins in the food...?

Exactly, the enzymes in food are actually destroyed early in the digestion process.
#23 Old 04-14-2006, 12:46 AM
Beginner

You can try this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enzyme

I'm not sure if raw food enzymes assist in digestion or not. If I am properly food combining I have very little digestive problems anyway.

However in the past I have used pineapple and papaya enzyme tablets and they have helped with my digestion.

Whether the enzyme is good for the food or for my digestion, it being intact when I eat it probably benefits me more than not. I just think that is a given in the whole idea of eating fresh food. All the nutrients in whole have not been damaged or changed by heat and are therefore the best, cleanest and purest food I can give my body.
#24 Old 04-14-2006, 02:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon View Post

You can try this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enzyme

I'm not sure if raw food enzymes assist in digestion or not. If I am properly food combining I have very little digestive problems anyway.

However in the past I have used pineapple and papaya enzyme tablets and they have helped with my digestion.

Whether the enzyme is good for the food or for my digestion, it being intact when I eat it probably benefits me more than not. I just think that is a given in the whole idea of eating fresh food. All the nutrients in whole have not been damaged or changed by heat and are therefore the best, cleanest and purest food I can give my body.

Ironically, papayan and bromelin (found in papaya and pineapple) are two exceptions. But generally, they do not aid in digestion.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page