Raw support or non-support discussion? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-31-2006, 12:49 PM
Beginner

Just wondering is this one little raw food section on here is for support or just any old kind of discussion? I'm finding there is some discussion challenging and against the raw food diet, and I wonder why.

Now I'm not talking about curious people or even concerned people wanting to know more because they want to try the raw food diet, I'm talking about people who are trying to dissuade others or discredit the raw diet.

Is it okay for omnivores to come and post on the other forums, and try to put down, challenge or dissuade the vegans and vegetarians from what they are doing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-31-2006, 01:00 PM
Administrator

The raw forum is primarily meant for support. If there is a "debate" it should probably be from other raw foodists or people who have a sincere interest in learning more about it. Posting for the sake of putting it down or discouraging others is not at all appropriate.

I wasn't aware that there was a problem. Maybe now that people understand who the forum was meant for it'll help. If you or anyone else notices it continuing please report the post or PM myself or one of the mods.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 03-31-2006, 01:09 PM
Veggie Regular

I think she's refering to the recent salt debate, and the talk about enzymes in "Raw food doesn't work the way they say it does", something like that.

I'm actually learning a lot from these debates, though. I'm very interested in raw foodism.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-31-2006, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Ok, I haven't read that particular thread but it seems like it would be an appropriate topic if discussed in the right manner.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5 Old 03-31-2006, 01:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I purposely withheld posting a number of studies I found about 95%+ raw food diet in my study thread because I didn't want to aggravate anyone. It's a sensitive issue for some but that doesn't mean we shouldn't have some kind of dialog when questionable information comes up.
#6 Old 03-31-2006, 01:26 PM
Beginner

I guess I'm just feeling a reaction from some of the subtle and not-so-sublte comments about how "you people" aren't going to be getting nutrients unless you eat "xx". Or "your gurus (teachers and authors)" don't know what they are talking about.

I'm all for discussion but I guess it just doesn't feel like it's supportive raw food discussion.

Well, if I'm wrong, forgive me! I know how to make raw faux crow pie.
#7 Old 03-31-2006, 01:29 PM
Administrator

If you're posting information that goes against a raw diet and you're not eating raw yourself the majority of the time then it should probably go in the heap.

#8 Old 03-31-2006, 01:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

If you're posting information that goes against a raw diet and you're not eating raw yourself the majority of the time then it should probably go in the heap.

I eat raw plenty tho I don't belong to the movement (what ever that means). I've already stated that in one of threads and I actually promote raw in RL due to my field tho not 100%. I don't see why health information needs to be the heap. Some people here are just misinformed. It shouldn't even turn into any type of debate.

Also, I don't think I've ever used the word guru. I just love nutrition.
#9 Old 03-31-2006, 01:48 PM
Administrator

Like I said, I haven't read that thread so I'm not commenting on you or that thread specifically. People need to have a place where they can go for support. That's basically what VB is. You don't need people coming here to tell you that you're wrong. I would hope everyone here understands that. Not everyone wants to be proven wrong, even if they are wrong. And it's not necessarily your job to do that.

I don't really feel comfortable commenting on that thread when I haven't been paying attention to it. Hopefully everyone knows what's appropriate and if not then we can discuss it further individually when something comes up.

#10 Old 03-31-2006, 01:51 PM

I've used the word guru. but not "your gurus" so that may be a bit of creativity there.

In general, I support raw foodism. I just don't support people who lie to advance their agenda.

IMO,I don't think the current discussion needs to go to the Heap.

it's ok for people who believe in the same thing to disagree on how best it should be presented.
#11 Old 03-31-2006, 01:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Not that it matters but here is a statement in a thread in one of the other forums

Quote:
All great info, especially for those looking to cut back on dairy! Glad I'm reading this now before buying much of anything~ After all, it's not just me I'm feeding here~ I can't screw up with things like this with my toddlers.

This person may or may not make health/nutrition decisions for herself and her toddlers based on information she finds here eta. on VB. I think that should be just as important as sparing feelings. I understand how that my not be a priority for everyone but obviously for some of us it is. If intellegent discussion is not allowed then I will certainly refrain from posting in this forum.
#12 Old 03-31-2006, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon View Post

I'm all for discussion but I guess it just doesn't feel like it's supportive raw food discussion.

if all discussion on any topic was just supportive, we wouldn't learn anything at all.

there's a great Dilbert cartoon where Dogbert is sitting on a bech with a guy.

Guy says " I teach my kids what's wrong and what's right and that's that."

Dogbert replies: "wouldn't that just teach them to believe anything they're told without applying any critical thinking?

Guy: 'I don't think about that"
#13 Old 03-31-2006, 03:40 PM

I'm very interested in the raw aspect. I've been surfing here for a while and something from the other day caught my eye. I think that Sharon linked it. Some ladies journal of her account going raw and how it changed her. I'm reading it now and identifying with some of the things she says was happening to her prior to going raw. Interesting. I'd appreciate the information. At least if I don't go totally raw I'd like to be more raw.
#14 Old 03-31-2006, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SotallyTober View Post

I'm very interested in the raw aspect. I've been surfing here for a while and something from the other day caught my eye. I think that Sharon linked it. Some ladies journal of her account going raw and how it changed her. I'm reading it now and identifying with some of the things she says was happening to her prior to going raw. Interesting. I'd appreciate the information. At least if I don't go totally raw I'd like to be more raw.

I think there are tons of benefits to raw.mostly the lack of processed crap.

randomness: I have been weaning soy and mock meats out of my diet for a while now and i really feel better. I still do some soy, but nowwhere near the former amount, and no veggie burgers or things of that nature... even switched from tofu to tempeh and seitan. my goal is to be around 75% raw with the rest in cooked grains and beans. I was going to keep the tempeh in but i feel really good on the days when I eat no processed foods.

I will eat yogurt though. I am attemping to make my own from almond milk.

I also have no idea why i am babbling like this.
#15 Old 03-31-2006, 07:00 PM
Beginner

SottalyTober - fun name - glad you liked the link. Her 2000 journal reads really fast, seems like she is healed of many of her ailments overnight!

Purrpelle I've tried to make (sunflower) seed yogurt before - didn't turn out great. Cashews or macs might taste the best because they are so creamy. When I first started experimenting with raw I did a lot of the Ann Wigmore stuff with soaking, sprouting, rejuvelac, seed cheeses and yogurts. Then I got into dehydrating big time. Ended up tossing quite a lot of stuff that didn't turn out quite like I thought it would - or giving it to the dog if she liked it. Now I half recipes before taking the plunge!
#16 Old 04-01-2006, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon View Post

SottalyTober - fun name - glad you liked the link. Her 2000 journal reads really fast, seems like she is healed of many of her ailments overnight!

Purrpelle I've tried to make (sunflower) seed yogurt before - didn't turn out great. Cashews or macs might taste the best because they are so creamy. When I first started experimenting with raw I did a lot of the Ann Wigmore stuff with soaking, sprouting, rejuvelac, seed cheeses and yogurts. Then I got into dehydrating big time. Ended up tossing quite a lot of stuff that didn't turn out quite like I thought it would - or giving it to the dog if she liked it. Now I half recipes before taking the plunge!

well, I order my almond milk by the case because it's cheaper. I can't afford to make my own unfortunalty, so I have a lot. and I love almond.

I am not a good project person, and i hate to cook as it is, so anything too complicated is out. I just today started some sprouts.

I really hope the almond yogurt turns out well...i am using a soy yogurt starter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page