Too many apples? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-10-2006, 07:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Is it possible to eat too many apples, to the point that it becomes unhealthy?

I'm planning on making the big leap into raw foodism within the next few days. I've made a huge list of fruits and veggies that I want to buy... but off that list, the ONLY food that appeals to me at the moment are apples. I'm also having an INTENSE craving for them.

Would it be bad, if just for the first day or two, I ate ONLY apples? Cause I tried eating a banana today (I ate all my apples the other night during an "apple binge" *blush*) and the whole time I was wishing I had an apple and the banana just didn't satisfy me.

I thought this would be okay, but one of my friends (not raw) said it wouldn't. And I really don't understand why it wouldn't. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-10-2006, 07:32 PM
Veggie Regular

As long as you're getting a well balance supply of greens, fruits, vegetables, and fats, you shouldn't have to worry about eating alot of one food. As long as you're not overeating of course. A typical person only really needs about 1500 to 2000 calories. Anything more than that is a bit unnecessary. So other than that, you shouldn't have to worry about limiting your apple intake as long as its something you like.
#3 Old 03-11-2006, 02:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Eating ONLY apples is a bad idea for a number of reasons. You would be seriously lacking in certain nutrients. A medium sized apple has about 70 calories, in order to get adequate calories, you'd need to eat about 20 apples.

You definitely need to do more research into a well-balanced raw diet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-11-2006, 03:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Plastic Straw View Post

Eating ONLY apples is a bad idea for a number of reasons. You would be seriously lacking in certain nutrients. A medium sized apple has about 70 calories, in order to get adequate calories, you'd need to eat about 20 apples.

You definitely need to do more research into a well-balanced raw diet.

Eating only apples for a day or two, I don't see how I would be lacking in nutrients though. *shrug* I know it wouldn't be healthy long-term though.

And I have done alot of research on a well-balanced raw foods diet. I've been researching it for a few months now. I was just wondering if it would be bad for only the first day or two of my raw foods diet, to "ease" my way into it, if I ate only one type of food... which happens to be apples, only because i'm craving them so much lately (which I have NEVER craved before.)

But since making this post, i've discovered a whole bunch of new fruits/veggies while looking at some fruit/veggie website that I wanna try, that i've never tried before... so i'll be adding those in with the apples too.
#5 Old 03-11-2006, 08:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Your diet should be more diverse than only apples, though it probably wouldn't hurt you to do just apples for a couple days. If you are craving them, your body must need them for some reason. But try to experiement around and find other foods you like. There are so many great things to try!

And give greens an important place in your diet too. Green salads and if possible green juices are a very important part of a healthy diet.
#6 Old 03-11-2006, 11:02 AM
Veggie Regular

BrokenAngel, I see no problem if you want to have apples for a few days. I would just call it an "Apple Fast" because in reality, that is what it is. I do something similar, called a "Papaya Fast" where I eat only papayas for a week.

Sometimes, you have to do things a little bit differently to go raw and that is understandable. It is better to eat all apples, than to eat a balanced diet of hamburger, french fries and coke.

Don't worry so much about too much of this or too little of that when you go raw. As long as it is a raw fruit or vegetable, then that is a good start.
#7 Old 03-11-2006, 11:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Eating only apples for a day or two is not good for you, as you would be lacking in nutrients that apples don't contain. It probably won't hurt you that much, but you won't feel good. Apples are acidic.

You can have a lot, though. My father (an omnivore) has about 6 a day, regularly.
#8 Old 03-11-2006, 02:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I have no idea, but kids eat one thing for a day or two all the time and I've seen pediatricians on t.v. say that it's fine, so long as their weeks worth of food is varied.
#9 Old 03-11-2006, 04:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicious View Post

I have no idea, but kids eat one thing for a day or two all the time and I've seen pediatricians on t.v. say that it's fine, so long as their weeks worth of food is varied.

Good point.
#10 Old 03-11-2006, 06:02 PM
Beginner

apples go well with spinach. if you are really concerned, make a big old salad with lots of chopped apple and some spinach. add some berries if you wanna. i love that combination.
#11 Old 03-13-2006, 08:41 PM

congrats for making a big leap into raw foodism eating apples sor only a couple days won't hurt... you may get tired of them. this might be off the subject but here is a recipie for raw apple sauce:

Raw applesause

4 cups- sliced apples

1 cup- raisins

1 cup of water

1 teaspoon cinnamon

Add apples & water in a food processer, until sauce forms.

Add cimamon and raisins and blend until smooth.
#12 Old 04-02-2006, 02:09 PM
Veggie Regular

I was doing some mini-research on apples earlier today...

I came across an book/page that talked about how eating three apples per day can be VERY beneficial to your health!

it's one of those snacks that is both delicious and healthy! another great aspect is that apples don't have a lot of calories, but they can still let you endulge that sweet-tooth!

I think that having 3 apples a day sounds like a great idea and as long as you are getting a well-balanced diet, if you can mix in 3, 4 or even 5 apples per day (without eating TOO much - ie. sugar or calorie "over-doses), then you should be fine!

http://www.ebooks.com/ebooks/book_di...asp?IID=222607

PS, as I was doing my searchin', this thread came up on google!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page