Recipe help/sharing - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-10-2006, 08:43 AM
bad
Veggie Regular

hello all, I'm a Raw-Wannabe and i've been trying once again to try and get some more raw foods into my diet (but i have an odd distaste for salads). I sadly still do not own a dehydrator, and i'm not quite sure how low i have to set my oven in order to dehydrate but not cook my food.

I was just wondering/hoping maybe some of you guys would have some quick and easy rawfood meal ideas to help me get back into the swing of things. Because i live in rothesay (nb) its a small town with very little in the way of vegan/exotic foods. Basically we have one big ass superstore and a sobey.

Is there anyone who could give me some ideas and tips to make some yummy healthy raw foods?

Also figured having a quick and easy collection of rawfood recipies would be nice for everyone to build up their own little recipe box.

thanks !

B.A.D.

raw-wannabe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-10-2006, 09:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Raw salads are really important even though you may not like them. I went through stages of not liking the too. I find that sunflower sprouts really make a salad for me. You can grow them and other sprouts on your own. Smoothies are another idea or you can use nut milks (homemade) to make milk shakes. Banana ice cream is another great option. You can make it by freezing really ripe bananas (without the peel) and running them in the food processor until they have the consistency of soft serve ice cream. You can add berries to make it even tastier. I feel that drinking green juice on a regular basis is very important, so I would invest in a good juicer. It is very tempting even on a raw diet to eat too much fat and sugar and insufficient greens, so I would make greens a priority in your diet. Raw greens are important whether you do a raw diet or not.
#3 Old 03-10-2006, 03:11 PM
Veggie Regular

If you don't like eating salads or tend to get tired of them pretty quickly, you could make green smoothies. They are an excellent source of getting enough greens plus you get loads of fruits, too and the fruits overpower the taste of the greens. You can use an inexpensive blender. Even eating salads twice a day, everyday isn't giving you enough greens. Humans just plain don't eat enough of'em! But with the smoothies, I can pile in a bunch of greens and never know they were in there, but my body loves me for it.

http://www.living-foods.com/recipes/ This site has a lot of recipes and most you don't need a dehydrator for.

As far as your oven, I'm not sure. Most, if not all, ovens don't go as low as 118 degrees and lower. If a dehydrator is something you eventually want to invest in, you can get an inexpensive one from Walmart or some other store. You can also check ebay and other online places. I have a 4 tray excalibur and it's great! I bought it used.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-11-2006, 03:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, green smoothies are a wonderful idea.
#5 Old 03-13-2006, 01:17 PM
bad
Veggie Regular

i do own a juicer, a christmas gift from my parents, althought it is not the one i asked for... and it tends to leave alot of moist pulp afterwards. -_- Also the opening on top of the juicer is very small, it is not very powerfull, and it is extremely difficult to clean.

For green juice, and smoothier or even salads, are there any perticular greens you would recomend? for either taste or nutrition? (Maybe even both?)

Thanks for your help! ^-^
#6 Old 03-13-2006, 01:30 PM
Veggie Regular

You can't go wrong with wheat grass juice, some people live by it.
#7 Old 03-13-2006, 02:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Wheatgrass juice rules!

As far as greens, any are great. I especially love sunflower sprouts. For green smoothies spinach works really well. Unless you have a vitamix, the tougher greens like kale and collards are hard to get well blended, but they work great for juice. I think variety is the key in covering all of your nutritional bases. Not that you need to eat 25 different foods in a day, but over a week and over a month, your diet should be full of all different varieties of plants.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page