My Raw Experience - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-25-2005, 07:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Have been raw since 9/11/05 and have seen many benefits such as, weight loss, clearer skin, higher energy. The fact that I can eat as much as I want is great also. However, I have had some problems along the way such as detox days, especially in the beginning along with headaches and I have not been lifting as much weight. (some of this on another thread)

Update on my raw experience: I know my weight lifting is off but I regarded that to the weight loss I was experiencing. Problem is, I am very sore after working out for days. My recovery is not fast enough and that can't be good.

I read somewhere (need to find it) about a weight lifter who ate "high raw" but also supplimented with vegan protein drinks. Protein has been regarded as the key to rapid muscle recover and my be what I need. I will do more research to find out more and may go to a high raw / 75% or more diet.

If anyone has any info on recovery when raw that would be helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-01-2005, 08:25 AM

I'm startim' over on bein' a raw foodist. Makin' it better. I will be official again tomorrow probably.
#3 Old 10-01-2005, 10:47 PM

I don't know if this helps:

Stephen Arlin, in his book "Raw Power" (see www.rawfood.com ), explains in a question/answer section how he became much more powerful after switching to a raw vegan diet:

Q: Are you personally stronger than when you were a cooked food eater?

A: I can say that I'm at least twice as strong as I was when I was eating a *Standard American Diet. I used to benchpress 300 pounds three times, now I can bench that weight twenty times. That's a huge improvement in brute strength. On a burnout set I used to benchpress 135 pounds forty times, now I can bench that weight well over one hundred times. That's a huge improvement in muscular endurance. I also find that I need little or no rest between sets of exercises now.

Q: Where do you get enough protein for real muscle growth?

A: Where does a cow, rhinoceros, hippopotamus, or gorilla get enough protein for real muscle development and growth? Raw plant foods. Protein synthesis is protein synthesis.

*Note: Standard American Diet (SAD) is a meat-based diet.

And for a website on a guy that's 80% raw and a hardcore athlete:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kristi17.htm

And Dr. Doug Graham is a raw athlete and advisor:

www.vegsource.com/talk/raw/

www.foodnsport.com

www.organicathlete.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-01-2005, 11:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Thank you for the info!

I still eat a lot of raw but found (like him) the recover time to be unacceptable on 100% raw. I have added vegan protien powders and found my recovery time to be within 24 hours, well within my acceptable range.
#5 Old 10-02-2005, 10:39 AM

Sounds cool
#6 Old 10-02-2005, 11:00 AM
Veggie Regular

I think you've hit on it--the solution is you need to drown yourself in protein. But there are cheaper (& yummier) ways to go about that. I remember protein powder used to cost me $39.95/month. These days I spend half that much on Brazil nuts & cashews to suppliment not only protein but oils. And extra helpings of raw chickpeas/tofu helps, too.

It's just an idea, if you ever decide to go 100% raw again!
#7 Old 10-02-2005, 08:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Not to screw you up, Deflator Mouse, but I don't think tofu is "raw".
#8 Old 10-02-2005, 09:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

It isn't.
#9 Old 10-03-2005, 08:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony11 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

It isn't.

*kicks tofu under sofa*

Did I say "tofu"? I meant "taro".

(Aw bloody hell. Back to the drawring board.)
#10 Old 10-03-2005, 11:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatorMouse View Post

*kicks tofu under sofa*

Did I say "tofu"? I meant "taro".

(Aw bloody hell. Back to the drawring board.)

Heh. I personally don't think that you're condemning yourself to Hell if you eat anything that isn't considered "raw". Heck, a lot of raw people won't touch food made with Bragg's Liquid Aminos because they don't consider it to be "raw". It's a vanishingly tiny portion of one's diet and couldn't possibly matter, but I know people like that. Mind you, they also tend to be the ones who think that staring into the sun is healthy.....
#11 Old 10-05-2005, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSiren View Post

Thank you for the info!

I still eat a lot of raw but found (like him) the recover time to be unacceptable on 100% raw. I have added vegan protien powders and found my recovery time to be within 24 hours, well within my acceptable range.

Just a note: both Stephen Arlin and Doug Graham are hard core athletes and 100% raw. I'm not saying you or anyone else has to be too but just that it can be done.
#12 Old 10-05-2005, 03:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I know who Brendan Brazier is. I am not familiar with the other two. It was interesting that my cardio was unbeleivable! But my weight lifting/healing time was the problem. The only other 100% Raw food weight lifter I knew about eats 3x's what I eat in a day. There is no way I am comfortable forcing down that much food. So for now the 75%-80% works for me. My body is always adjusting so who knows what the future might hold!
#13 Old 10-07-2005, 12:04 PM

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Stephan Arlin's diet. I'm not sure what Doug eats but one part I read is where athletic raw vegans would be eating 10-12 bananas at a time. Not really for me either. But it works for him.

I'm not even raw right now (well 25% lol) but I will be. I've tried 3 times and failed 3 times but there's always next time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page