Raw & Living Foods Thread - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 506Likes

#1 Old 06-06-2003, 12:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome!

Lately there have been several inquiries into raw foodism on VB. As the "resident raw foodist" I thought now would be a good time to start a raw food thread. (would it be too ambitious yet to ask Michael for a separate forum? )

So until further notice, this thread can be the place where raw & living foodism is discussed.

A little bit of info about my diet: I've been ~85% raw (= % of cals from raw foods) for circa 8 months before switching to 100% raw about 2 months ago. The experience has been absolutely positive: I feel great! I have a lot more energy and need a lot less sleep, to mention just two benefits!

In this thread I can offer my personal experiences, information I found on the web and in books, my "RF philosophy" plus some evangelism . I live with another raw foodist friend, so I have actually two test subjects to report on.

Please feel free to contribute to this thread and ask any questions or comment about anything you read here. Plunge in, and see you all!

I already made several (longer) posts in different forums about raw foodism and fruitarianism, commenting about raw foods and answering questions. I will kick off this thread by gathering these posts together, after a brief intro post which follows next....
Immanuel likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-06-2003, 12:28 AM
Veggie Regular

RAW FOODISM INTRO

(this will get edited & enhanced over time)

"Raw foodism" has many definitions, but generally speaking, it means that you strive to increase your consumption of unprocessed, unheated and uncooked food items (possibly eliminating all cooked food from your diet in the end). Wow - sounds "official"!!! Sounds tough? Sounds scary? Sounds CRAZY???

Why eat raw?

A predominantly raw diet has many benefits. Successful raw foodists widely experience more energy, easy digestion, more energy, loss of excess body weight, better health (allergies/sensitivities can disappear) and more energy, just to name a few. Oh and did I mention MoRe eNeRgY?

Other benefits include that you'll never burn your mouth again. You don't need a stove or oven and you can live without most of the kitchen clutter!

Eating a predominantly raw diet also makes a lot of sense from the evolutionary perspective. For the greatest part of our existence, we haven't cooked our food, so it is safe to assume that raw foods are our natural diet, and that our digestive system evolved to process foods in their natural, unaltered form.

Raw foods contain usually the highest concentrations of nutrients, vitamins and minerals. Cooking always means nutrient loss.

Also, there is mounting evidence that cooking foods may create potentially harmful substances in the food (see, for example, the acrylamide issue).

There are also several 'benefits' claimed by some raw foodists that are not confirmed (yet?) by science.

Do I need to go 100% raw to experience the benefits?

Everyone benefits from eating more unprocessed, natural foods. You don't have to go all the way to enjoy many of the goodies. By increasing the proportion of raw foods in your diet, you will eat more vitamins, minerals and fiber. Raw foods are said to have a "cleansing" effect on the body. Unprocessed foods tend to be low in calories, but filling - eating more raw foods might be the perfect answer for people looking to lose pounds.

What does one eat on a RF diet?

Almost all plant foods humans eat can be eaten in uncooked form (yes, even Oats ). Raw foodists eat fruits, vegetables, leafy greens, sprouts, nuts, seeds, grains, sea vegetables, cold pressed oils and other organic/natural foods that have not been processed.

Food 'preparation' techniques can include drying/dehydrating, soaking, sprouting, blending, juicing, grinding, homogenizing, freezing etc. of ingredients.

One "prominent" subgroup of raw foodists are fruitarians, who only eat mostly, well, fruit. This includes vegetable fruits, such as peppers, tomatoes, eggplant... I categorize fruitarians as raw foodists, because all fruitarians that I know of eat their fruit in its raw, natural form.

Anything else?

I have to mention that, there are quite a few things that can go wrong when someone tries to convert to a predominantly raw food diet. People can get too carried away and be disappointed if things don't work out immediately as they would like. Your body has been used to cooked food for your entire life, so it can take some time to get used to a higher proportion of raw foods (e.g. lot of bulk, lot of high water content foods).

Some common pitfalls during the conversion include not eating enough, or not giving in to cravings. It is important to listen to your body at all times.
#3 Old 06-06-2003, 12:29 AM
Veggie Regular

OTHER OATMEAL POSTS ABOUT RAW FOODS ON VB:

"Another overview of Raw Foodism"

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...&postid=121541

"More info about my diet"

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...&postid=140343

Some posts about fruitarianism:

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...&postid=132870

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...&postid=140125

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...&postid=140977

I'll add more as I remember / find them!
Immanuel likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-06-2003, 12:30 AM
Veggie Regular

RAW FOOD RESOURCES ON THE WEB:

(to be extended/enhanced over time)

For a good collection of raw food links, check out:

http://www.alissacohen.com/links.html
Immanuel likes this.
#5 Old 06-06-2003, 12:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Gosh, I love cooked food so much...

don't care for fruit that much, either.

I am afraid that I wouldn't make a very good candidate.

What sort of taco can you eat, Oatmeal???
Immanuel likes this.
#6 Old 06-06-2003, 12:49 AM

I imagine he could eat a.... um....raw veggies wrapped in a big spinach or even chard leaf, with raw veggie salsa??....

I had a friend who would only eat veggies and fruit that had already fallen from the tree or vine or plant. I stayed with him a bit. He had all these veggies laying around. Some were half eaten by bugs....others partially rotten. He would just rinse and pull away any rotten areas (if there were bugs, which often there were, he would take great care to take off that piece without disturbing the bugs and place them somewhere safe. He was on a big spiritual trip, too. He was cool. Always getting run off by farmers, though... hehehe
Immanuel likes this.
#7 Old 06-06-2003, 12:49 AM

I was actually talking to my mom about raw foodism the other day. I have been including SO many more raw fruits and veggies in my diet recently. I'm obsessed with fruit, so it doesn't matter. At least I don't eat anything processed anymore! heh

I'd say within the past 2 weeks (just an estimate) 40% of my calories have come from raw foods. I don't know how much I would like to increase that percentage. I do love cooked foods. But then again, I REALLY dig mangos and strawberries. heh. I could probably live on mangos.

Raw foodism does, pretty much, guarantee a vegan meal at some restaurants. Unless they decide that cheese on a salad is good. I suppose it would just be easier to ask for a raw veggie plate (possibly fruit as well, depending on the restaurant). And you don't have to worry about hydrogenated oils, and eating too much greasy food! yech...
Immanuel likes this.
#8 Old 06-06-2003, 01:11 AM
Veggie Regular

LOL, wheat a great start for this thread....

OK here goes: this is not about restriction. If I wanted to, I could eat any taco I wanted.

It's not like I WON'T eat cooked food anymore . If I go to a restaurant I will order something from the menu.

If you make some tacos, mushroom, I'd like to try some. Hell I like to try everything there is to try, OK?

But, if left tn my own devices I tend to eat foods uncooked.

Right now I'm eating coleslaw with string beans and red bell peppers and drink carrot juice. The fridge must be cleaned out and I just eat them raw, instead of making some dish out of it...
Immanuel likes this.
#10 Old 06-06-2003, 10:22 AM
Veggie Regular

are rolled oats considered raw? What if they are soaked in soymilk? OR is the soymilk not raw?
Immanuel likes this.
#11 Old 06-06-2003, 10:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Is it healthy to eat raw corn? My housemate always gives me weird looks when I do this but it seems perfectly natural to me! I've found that eating an ear of raw corn for breakfast gives me more energy than a cup of coffee, and without the jittery feeling or drop in blood sugar.

Also, I'm not a big fruit person. I enjoy a juicy nectarine or a handful of grapes now and then, but in general I don't like sweet stuff. Can I get the same benefits from eating more veggie-like fruits like avocados, tomatoes, bell peppers, etc., or do I need to eat the sugary stuff too?

(I did eat a banana today. It was okay, but I would rather have had it fried, with soy sauce.)
Immanuel likes this.
#12 Old 06-06-2003, 11:59 AM
Veggie Regular

what do you do when you go out to eat?

do you spend alot more on food this way?
Immanuel likes this.

‎"I just think there's something in being lost. I never feel lost. I just think, 'Oh. I've taken a diversion'." ~ Karl Pilkington
#13 Old 06-06-2003, 03:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Hmm, I was wondering. Can you have foods from all the foodgroups without big trouble preparing it (like grains or legumes). And if you put things in a blender, I heard that sometimes the blending heats things on a molecular level so they are not technically raw anymore. Then I was wondering if cold pressed oils are considered raw. And is there any foods that are poisonous if eaten raw, but that are staple foods in a cooked diet?
Immanuel likes this.
#14 Old 06-06-2003, 05:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by VegAnna

And if you put things in a blender, I heard that sometimes the blending heats things on a molecular level so they are not technically raw anymore.

I can't speak to whether blended foods are as adequate as whole foods in terms of bulk or what have you, but there is no separate heat from the heat that cooks your food. Just one kind - heat is always molecular. When something gets hot, it's because the molecules are moving faster and banging into each other. When you touch a stove and your hand gets warm, it's because the molecules of the stove are banging into your hand and making your hand molecules move faster. This is how energy is transferred as heat.
Immanuel likes this.
#15 Old 06-06-2003, 07:54 PM

Well, raw foods are a soo much cheaper! I was running low on fruit and I went to go get some. I came back with 6 mangos, 1 lb of strawberries, 4 kiwis, 2 lbs of grapes, and a cantalope. I only spent about 8 bucks.

Lenore, I am the exact opposite. I LOVE sweet things. Especially fruits. And they hydrate me as well, which is great for the desert. I don't have to constantly be drinking water... Although I do anyway. heh.

You eating corn for breakfast, instead of getting energy from coffee reminds me of my dad. Except, you know, he's opposite.. All he has for breakfast is a cup of coffee and smokes a cigarette.. Yech!

I think I may be the only healthy person in my family. Except my mom, who is omni, but at least TRIES to be healthy. She doesn't have time for health usually, so she just makes a smoothie (just fruits, some veggies, and ice) every night now. She said she's starting to feel better! She is starting to find veg*nism more appealing, so maybe I can convert her. Muahaha!
Immanuel likes this.
#16 Old 06-06-2003, 09:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Excellent! I have found an "eat more raw" advocate and ally in Fafa!
Immanuel likes this.
#17 Old 06-06-2003, 09:46 PM
Veggie Regular

And thanks to epski for the links! I will review some of the mentioned books that I've read.
Immanuel likes this.
#18 Old 06-06-2003, 09:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Keegan

are rolled oats considered raw?

AFAIK, rolled oats are steamed prior to rolling (or cutting in the case of steel cut oats), you I'd say that they are kind of cooked.

However, I would consider someone who eats rolled oats (unheated) a raw foodist.

Quote:
What if they are soaked in soymilk?

There are raw foodists, who do eat rolled oats, by soaking them in water or fruit juice overnight in the fridge.

Quote:
OR is the soymilk not raw?

Nope, the soybeans are cooked in the process of making soymilk. The most common raw milk substitue is nutmilks (which are not very difficult to make).

And I've heard several people talking about oat milk, made out of oat sprouts. It is claimed to taste very much like cows milk. Either way, oats are full of nutriens, so oat milk should be good stuff. The only problem is that it is kind of hard to get sprouting oats (I believe that the oat groats you get in the HFS won't sprout). But I've never tried it (yet).
Immanuel likes this.
#19 Old 06-06-2003, 10:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Lenore

Is it healthy to eat raw corn?

Of course, why wouldn't it? The question is rather, is it healthy to eat cooked corn?

Quote:
My housemate always gives me weird looks when I do this but it seems perfectly natural to me!

To me too!

Quote:
I've found that eating an ear of raw corn for breakfast gives me more energy than a cup of coffee, and without the jittery feeling or drop in blood sugar.

Exactly. Raw corn is a low GI food. When it's cooked, the starches are converted to sugars and this increases the GI of corn. (this is true for several vegetables, most prominently carrots).

Quote:
Also, I'm not a big fruit person. I enjoy a juicy nectarine or a handful of grapes now and then, but in general I don't like sweet stuff.

I'm sorry to hear that. If I may to evangelize for a moment, I do think that you like fruit. Everybody is "programmed" to like fruit. It's your current dietary habits that make you "dislike" fruit. You also may have made bad experiences with sweets (overeating, etc), so that currently, "sweet" signalizes "bad". But I'm just guessing here.

I will say that I passionately ***hate*** sweets. However, my tastebuds seem to see a big difference between sweets (with table sugar, honey, etc) and fruit. (I luuurve fruit)

Quote:
Can I get the same benefits from eating more veggie-like fruits like avocados, tomatoes, bell peppers, etc., or do I need to eat the sugary stuff too?

Sure! Eating more (raw) veggies has big @ss benefits, always, for everybody! The only issue with the veggies is that they are low cal.

Only avocado is high cal, but it's also very high in fat so you clearly shouldn't eat avocados only.

So, a pure RF'ist eats a lot of fruit, because s/he needs to get all the calories from somewhere! But if you are just looking for ways to increase your RF intake and you don't really feel like eating fruit, then sure! Eat veggies instead!

Quote:
(I did eat a banana today. It was okay, but I would rather have had it fried, with soy sauce.)

Blech!

One banana????

Banana is one of my staples. I had 5 bananas for brekkie, then I went out doing some shopping and such. Soon I got hungry again so I stopped at Jamba Juice and had a jumbo sized orange/banana shake. I was still hungry so I bought a strawberry/banana smoothie in the grocery. This kept me going for a few hours

I was buying banana for the weekend (suffice to say it was a LOT of banana, coz i'm not the only RF'ist in the house) and the women at the register asked: "Do you make a lot of shakes or do you just love banana?". LOL, the freezer of our fridge would not be enough to freeze all that banana for shakes!!

Mmmm, banana! What would I do without you??
Immanuel likes this.
#20 Old 06-06-2003, 10:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by 46 avocados

what do you do when you go out to eat?

No biggie. I'm not a fanatic.

So... I will look at the menu and chose from it, and not make a scene with my dietary choices (I will try very hard to eat vegan though, and vegetarian is an absolute must).

I will go for something simple and easy (steamed veggies, rice, etc), if it's possible. If not, I will try to encounter and take in the experience of eating a heavy, greasy, cooked food with an open mind. LOL, I'm a closet-buddhist as you see!

Same thing for invitations. Hell I'm a curious person, I would never say no to somebody offering me some freaky special cooked food. RF'ism not about limitations, about depriving yourself from things.

I want to go out and have fun.

But, clearly the bulk of my calories I decide/prepare for myself, and I will strive to keep that raw.

Remember, raw foodism does not have any moral aspects, like veganism. You can eat cooked food and still be a raw foodist. Just like, you can eat fatty food or sweets every once in a while, and still call yourself (and be) a health conscious person waching her diet.

Quote:
do you spend alot more on food this way?

The short answer: not necessarily.

The long answer: I found that any dietary change temporarily boosts my grocery bill. I paid a lot in the store when I went vegan, because it took me some time to find the cheap stuff, to develop eating patterns that minimize costs.

Same with RF. In the beginning, I paid a LOT for all the organic fruit and vegetables. But meanwhile I have it under control. The key is to live on cheap staples, and to buy in season.

For instance, banana is a perfect staple for a RF'ist. It's cheap, always in season and has a great nutritional profile.

There is always some fruit in season. Orange, apple....

My staple vegetable is lettuce, spinach, carrots, beets.... All cheap.

Nuts and seeds can be expensive, but sunflower and pumpkin seeds are always laughably cheap, yet they have most of the benefits of the more expensive nuts (fat, protein).

Dried exotic fruit can also be pricey, so the staple here is raisins which is always cheap.

Also, I often "cheat" with buying bottled juices and shakes (which have been flash pasteurized, i.e. heated for a second or so). I also want to buy a juicer to make cheap fresh juices at home.

So by eating in season and relying on the cheap staples, a RF diet can be cheap.

If you are a pure RF'ist, you will *only* shop in the produce section, and, to a lesser degree, in the bulk section.

And I'll say also this: to me there are few things as important as what I put into my body, so I do want to eat quality food, and I'm willing to pay and sacrifice more for that.

I'm not into "luxury" very much, so buying organic, or out-of-season or expensive items (e.g. mushrooms can be expensive) coult be considered my luxury expenses...
Immanuel likes this.
#21 Old 06-06-2003, 10:58 PM
Veggie Regular

5 bananas, Oatmeal? I love bananas too, but don't you start to feel nauseus after eating so many? (well obviously you must not, but I think I would!)
Immanuel likes this.
#22 Old 06-06-2003, 11:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by VegAnna

Hmm, I was wondering. Can you have foods from all the foodgroups without big trouble preparing it (like grains or legumes).

Well the easiest to "prepare" foods are obviously fruits, veggies and nuts.

Grains and legumes involve a bit more work, however not much (and considering you don't cook, it's actually very little work). But they can take time.

Legumes should be sprouted. Usually this involves soaking overnight (after which some (like lentils) can be eaten already), and then rinsing a few times a day for 1-2 days. Then they'll be perfect.

(Mung bean sprouts - if you want them to be like the ones you can buy - require more work, but it's a vanity/taste thing (though it's important to me, so I'm willing to go to extra lengths there ))

Grains should be at least soaked before they are eaten (duh!), but they too benefit from sprouting. The process is the same as with legumes. I usually eat them like rice or in a salad like tabbouleh, but you can also grind them up with seasonings to make sprouted breads and crackers.

Quinoa is a spectacularly fast sprouter. It barely needs a few hours to sprout!!

And you can always sprout more and store the leftovers in the fridge.

Quote:
And if you put things in a blender, I heard that sometimes the blending heats things on a molecular level so they are not technically raw anymore.

I heard that too, though I rarely use a blender. But I think you would have to blend for minutes for the food to heat up?? In any case, if it would REALLY heat up, I'd probably pause a few times.

Or look for a different recipe - blending for minutes sounds too complicated to me!

Quote:
Then I was wondering if cold pressed oils are considered raw.

Yes, I consider them raw. Personally I don't use a lot of oils, but yes, they are raw and I like to have some olive oil on my lettuce every once in a while. Cold pressing is one of the most gentle food preparation techniques there is.

Quote:
And is there any foods that are poisonous if eaten raw, but that are staple foods in a cooked diet?

Very few. The only thing I can think of right now is lima beans. They must be cooked to break down some toxic substance in them.

Contrary to still popular belief, raw potatoes are not poisonous. Potatoes can be toxic (if they are left to sprout for too long), but in this case cooking will not help either as the toxin resists boiling temperatures.

Generally I'll make a google search on any unknown vegetable and certainly any new legume before I try to eat it. (but I do this anyway out of pure curiosity, not only because of the toxicity).
Immanuel likes this.
#23 Old 06-06-2003, 11:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by lucycat

5 bananas, Oatmeal? I love bananas too, but don't you start to feel nauseus after eating so many? (well obviously you must not, but I think I would!)

LOL, no! And as you saw in my post, it left me much too hungry! I had to eat again in about an hour!!

How many do you eat at once?

BTW, you raise an interesting point with "nauseus". It reminds me of "mono-dieting" which is a cool technique for eating raw foods. I'll describe it another time is anyone's interested!
Immanuel likes this.
#24 Old 06-06-2003, 11:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I only ever eat one - after that, I don't want anymore.

Last weekend I ate tons of raw fruits and veggies and felt amazing - I was bouncing around and was in such a happy mood! I'll have to try to keep doing that!
Immanuel likes this.
#25 Old 06-06-2003, 11:40 PM
Veggie Regular

That's how I feel every day!!!!!

But... ONE banana, as in 1, uno, ein, un????? You all have way too small tummies!
Immanuel likes this.
#26 Old 06-06-2003, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oatmeal

Excellent! I have found an "eat more raw" advocate and ally in Fafa!

Yeah, I researched it when I first was researching vegetarianism! I always thought it would be a cool way to live, and I realized how much I love fruits, and some raw veggies. I still eat plenty of cooked food, but my raw intake is coming up drasticially. Plus, like I said, it's easy to be lazy when you eat raw. I mean, I like cooking... sometimes. But even when I cook, I prefer my veggies crispy, and brightly colored. Talk about convenience foods!

I also have quite a sweet tooth, the fruit really is satisfying for it!

Quote:
Originally posted by Oatmeal

BTW, you raise an interesting point with "nauseus". It reminds me of "mono-dieting" which is a cool technique for eating raw foods. I'll describe it another time is anyone's interested!

mono-dieting....? Tell me more.
Immanuel likes this.
#27 Old 06-06-2003, 11:48 PM
Veggie Regular

One banana usually fills me up for an hour or so I have a sensitive stomach and can never at a lot at once. I usually eat 4 or 5 meals a day when I can manage it and two of them are always just fruit.

Are there any types of fruit that are better to eat inbetween meals of mostly non-raw foods?
Immanuel likes this.
#28 Old 06-07-2003, 12:36 AM
Veggie Regular

I have more questions

Does freezing make food non-raw, or even if it's still raw, would there be any disadvatages to fresh produce? If so, how much. Frozen goods are easier to buy in bulk because they don't go bad so quickly.

Then I was wondering if Odwalla is considered raw, since it's "only" flash pasteurized (I LOVE odwalla, but try to get the ones without royal jelly).

Is canned food raw? If it says "baked" or something on the label, then obviously it's not, but what about corn...

Then, if I have a fruit-bowl (I don't eat those anymore, just wondering), would the sugar it's put in be raw (if it's not the fruit's own juice)?

Would you say that a not-all-raw fruitarian diet has just as many benefits as an all-raw fruitarian diet (i.e. having cooked tomato sauce on your spaghetti squash)?
Immanuel likes this.
#29 Old 06-07-2003, 02:45 AM
Veggie Regular

It's funny... this reminds me of a veg*n / omni encounter, intorregation style- where do you get your protein ? What do you eat when you go out ? Is (...) considered veg*n /raw? Do you spend a lot more on food now ? "Wow, I could never give up cooked food / meat "

Any time now, someone'll pop the "do you eat sashimi ?" question *lol*
Immanuel likes this.
#30 Old 06-07-2003, 03:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Man did this thread finally wake up or what? I had to leave to get that to happen!

I have a very small stomach these days. Sometimes I'm wondering if I get enough food. I'm trying to graze more.

I had a banana and two bowls of cereal for late breakfast today and no lunch, followed by, ick, forget about my dinner. It was fast and cheap, but at least it was vegan.
Immanuel likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page