Raw & Living Foods Thread - Page 17 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 506Likes

#481 Old 08-10-2003, 11:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by lighthouse25

I read on a special fruit website that if you are trying to lose weight on a raw-vegan diet that you should only consume one bannana per day. Why is this?

For a minute I thought you mean eating one banana a day, nothing else

I have no idea why this is recommended. Bananas are good for you, don't stop eating them if you like them!

I find that the best diet is 8/1/1 (80% of calories carbs, 10% protein and fat each). Apart from that, if you eat less calories than you burn, you lose fat.

Quote:
My fiance and I are currently trying to lose ALLOT of weight (at least 100 pounds each) and we feel a raw-vegan diet will help us tremendously. I'm starting Raw-Vegan this weekend along with my fiance (this thread has given me so much insite and knowledge and I am now seeking information to better improve myself on this special diet that we will be on for the rest of our lives). But we were both amazed by this news because we love bananas so much.

Does anyone have any insite?

Wow, what a great project!!! Please keep us updated about your progress or any problems that you might encounter. Don't be too harsh to yourself and don't deprive yourself if you have cravings for something cooked or "unhealthy". As you eat more and more healthy unprocessed food, your body will adjust. I see "raw foodism" as a long term project, more a journey than a destination.

Good luck and keep up posted!
Immanuel likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#482 Old 08-10-2003, 11:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by sunshinemelissa

Interesing, I had noticed how my fingernails were rock hard and growing and my hair has been fuller and shinier. I hadn't put 2 and 2 together until I read Bobsies post. It must be all the extra raw I'm eating. I eat a cooked dinner, but my other meals are primarily raw now. My skin is clearing up too. I hadn't even realized that this all happened when I upped my raw intake. Thanks for the insight Bobsy

Great news, I think that raw foods can certainly have an effect like this. Wow Mel I didn't know you're so much raw meanwhile. Good job!
#483 Old 08-10-2003, 11:29 PM

yesterday i found a raw foods cafe/ shop in lansdale, pennsylvania. also, i've noticed that my nails have grown faster and thicker as well since i've been vegan. i'd like to convert my diet to more raw food, but i hate raw vegetables. i should really get over that though...
Immanuel likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#484 Old 08-10-2003, 11:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by afrikankween

I too am following a mostly raw food/fruitarian diet. I have never felt better. I do about 90% fruit a day, the rest are veggies. Everyone once in a while I will cook something like broccoli.

*salutes*

Yah broccoli can give one a hard time, though meanwhile I can eat it without problems. I also love the stems at least as much as the flowers. Also, I find that a good garlicky dip can help a lot to eat broccoli
Immanuel likes this.
#485 Old 08-10-2003, 11:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by ren

yesterday i found a raw foods cafe/ shop in lansdale, pennsylvania. also, i've noticed that my nails have grown faster and thicker as well since i've been vegan. i'd like to convert my diet to more raw food, but i hate raw vegetables. i should really get over that though...

Hey that's so cool about the raw cafe!

Is there any vegetable that you like raw? There are tons of vegetables out there. Do you like lettuce? Right now, tomatos, peppers, cucumbers, corn, yams, carrots, beets, peas... can be bought cheaply and they are all delicious raw. You could try to find a few veggies that you enjoy raw and start to eat them more often.

If you have any more questions, please post!
Immanuel likes this.
#486 Old 08-11-2003, 01:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Hey, I haven't read your recent replies yet, but I just wanted to share that they have HUGE watermelons at our store right now for 19 cents per pound and I would have gotten one today except that I already had a basket full of produce and I would have had to ask an employee to carry it for me and get it into my trunk, and I wasn't up for that. I will go back there within the next few days and get it. Celebrate the watermelon It's nice now that my parents are gone for a little over a week I can actually eat the way I want to without getting strange looks!! I love it!!
Immanuel likes this.
#487 Old 08-11-2003, 01:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Hmm, did I ever express my gratitude for all the answering (incl. all the typing!!!!) you are doing, Oatmeal? If not, then I'm taking the opportunity now: thank you!! You are such an inspiration with all your knowledge I am actually trying the uberman sleep cycle right now, after researching. It's all your fault because you posted about it :P

I have something else I want to address. I hear people say that they soak dried fruits. I wonder what the point is of first going through the trouble of drying fruit to then soak it again. Wouldn't that do more bad than good, since vitamins get lost during the process? Why do you dry and then soak fruits??
Immanuel likes this.
#488 Old 08-11-2003, 09:49 AM
Beginner

Drying them helps them keep longer.

However, some people buy dried fruit (or dry it themselves), soak it, and then use it in recipes... much more concentrated so you can use them as a sweetener.
Immanuel likes this.
#489 Old 08-11-2003, 10:52 AM

Just wanted to give an update on my fiance and I. Today is our fourth day of being 95% Raw-Vegan (the oher five persent is cooked brown rice).

Well anyways my first day was great, I had allot of energy and did allot of running around, cleaning and excercising and later on I was'nt even tired.

However today and yesterday I have had no apettite for food what so ever. I mean I have not been hungry for the past day and half? I have eaten lots of raw-veggies and raw-fruits these past couple of days forcing myself to eat something... I don't see why this is? Is this normal?
Immanuel likes this.
#490 Old 08-11-2003, 11:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by VegAnna

Hmm, did I ever express my gratitude for all the answering (incl. all the typing!!!!) you are doing, Oatmeal? If not, then I'm taking the opportunity now: thank you!! You are such an inspiration with all your knowledge

I second that motion

Also, Oatmeal you mentioned that you dip your brocoli in a garlic dip, if you haven't already, could you post a recipe for it in the recipe thread? I haven't gone over there yet today, so if you already did, then thanks
Immanuel likes this.
#491 Old 08-11-2003, 11:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Lighthouse, I've heard of that happening. I'm not sure why that is, but I've definitely heard of it before. Could be your body using up it's stored carbs...

----Has anyone heard of any rice that's bad to sprout? I put some mixed rice in a bowl yesterday with some water to see it I could sprout it, but want to make sure I'm not eating anything toxic. I've heard of kidney beans being toxic and some other kinds of beans, but I was just curious about rices.

I like fruit.
Immanuel likes this.
#492 Old 08-11-2003, 01:02 PM

jwnyc, How do you sprout brown rice? Maybe I could do that instead of cooking it!
Immanuel likes this.
#493 Old 08-11-2003, 03:00 PM

when i eat 'salads' they're mushrooms and olives and i don't think either are vegetables hahah... i can kinda tolerate lettuce but i don't really like it. i should really just make myself eat raw food until i do like it. the only exception (that i just remembered) is i'll eat lettuce and peppers at subway. anything's good if you cover it in mustard.
Immanuel likes this.
#494 Old 08-11-2003, 05:08 PM

Hi I'm new here, but I wonder why there isn't a raw vegan forum? I would think 25 pages in one thread would be enough to convince anyone of it's need.

I've been mostly raw for a few months. I keep seeing people say the things in this thread that I can relate too. Here's my list of benefits:

I sleep six hours max.

My endurance is way up. I can now bicycle for 40+ miles without rest. Something I couldn't do when I was in my twenties.

I have more energy between meals.

No more indigestion or heartburn

no heavy food that stays in my gut

no 'bad times' in the bathroom

Colors are brighter. This means a lot to me, as I'm an artist. All my old paintings look so dull now.

Meals are easy (I also eat a fair amount of nuts, so my meals aren't as big as some I see here)

I've lost twenty pounds (while gaining muscle mass)

My skin is healthy

I no longer suffer from depression or mood swings.

I'm much more outgoing and happy ( getting funny looks from my friends), and more motivated to uh, get along with the opposite sex. (Getting funny looks for that one too)

Every meal tastes like dessert...

Grocery shopping is easy

My food bill is way down

Friends are now showering me with home garden produce (free food!)

Anyway it's nice to see there are other raw vegans. I kind of came onto it myself, so I don't know much about it other than the fact that it feels natural. I now know why people crave sweets, fruit, duh. Why do bachelors not cook? Duh. There's no natural instinct for cooking is there? It just seems so odd that people see raw veganism as so extreme. It's quite natural. Anyway I have a few questions for others, what do you do for grains? I haven't been eating them raw. Is there a good raw grain? I'm mostly looking for a good carbs for long bike rides and hiking.

Anyway I just have to say, I really like this board. A bunch of sane people in one place.
Immanuel likes this.
#495 Old 08-11-2003, 06:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by ren

when i eat 'salads' they're mushrooms and olives and i don't think either are vegetables hahah... i can kinda tolerate lettuce but i don't really like it. i should really just make myself eat raw food until i do like it. the only exception (that i just remembered) is i'll eat lettuce and peppers at subway. anything's good if you cover it in mustard.

Before I went veg, I was a huge meat eatin' fool. I used to think vegetables were ok, but it wasn't exactly my first choice. Once I became a vegetarian, it was hard for me to eat so many veggies, becuase I wasn't real fond of them. Fruits were never a problem, I've always eaten lots of them. I had to get myself used to them. i started by eating lots of the ones i did liked and slowly upped my intake and added new varieties. Slowly i taught myself to love veggies, now i can't seem to get enough of them. It's funny how a lot of it is mind over matter. We think vegetables should be gross, therefor they taste gross when we eat them. Try sitting down with a carrot for instance, and imagine yourself enjoying so much that it's almost orgasmic...forgive the comparison. But, if you imagine it being the best thing, then when you eat it, it will. Your will and imagination will take over your habits. Try making new habits
Immanuel likes this.
#496 Old 08-12-2003, 05:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by phillip777

no 'bad times' in the bathroom

LOL, everyone keeps asking me how my body can cope with so much fruit without having bathroom blues. The funny thing is it's never a problem anymore.

Quote:
Colors are brighter. This means a lot to me, as I'm an artist. All my old paintings look so dull now.

I've noticed this too (another artist ) but I'd never connected it to my diet. I suffered from depression a few years back and my colours have slowly been returning (I didn't realise how much it had been affected until I came out of it). But you're right--in these last few weeks my appreciation for colours has grown even stronger. Maybe it does have something to do with raw foods intake.

Quote:
Anyway I just have to say, I really like this board. A bunch of sane people in one place.

Well, almost sane
Immanuel likes this.
#497 Old 08-12-2003, 12:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by phillip777

I'm mostly looking for a good carbs for long bike rides and hiking.

When I run, I usually have bananas and/or apples before and after my run. These seem to give me the fuel I need. i know you've probably heard a lot about bananas, but you must be hearing a lot for a reason: Because they're good for you, give you tons and tons of energy and they are very calorie dense. If you're looking for good carbs, this is what I do and it works for me, so hopefully it might work for you too.

Welcome to the board
Immanuel likes this.
#498 Old 08-12-2003, 02:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I haven't posted here often due to lack of time, but I have been reading pages and pages at a time when I have a chance...this is a truly inspiring thread!!!

For some reason people always think I'm "depriving" myself so much when I have an apple and they have an ice cream bar...the way I see it, why eat [email protected] that'll strain your body when you can give it some nice, delish, flavorful, sweet fruit? I guess you hafta try it to believe it

Since reading this thread, I've been eating more and more raw...and I've been an avid home baker/cooker and always loved seeing what I could come up with...today I had the urge to bake but no desire to eat what I baked! Looks like my body knows what it really needs (raw stuff) as opposed to just wants (baked stuff with more processed stuff in it).

Well, anyway, enough of my blabbering and rambling - I'm gonna go to the store and get me s'more fruit!!! (someone mentioned pears earlier...mmmm....)
Immanuel likes this.
#499 Old 08-12-2003, 02:40 PM
Veggie Regular

last night i went out to dinner with my mom to my favorite vegan/live food restaraunt in the whole world! i got a cooked dish because it's all so yummy and I can't help myself, but my mom got a live taco salad. of course we tried each others' dishes and the live taco salad was AMAZING. it had this crazy walnut topping that tasted SO good. it also had guacamole (sp?) and live sour cream. SO GOOD!

we were going to get a slice of raw banana almond butter coconut pie, but the big raw foodie group table next to us bought the last few pieces

i love raw restaurants i think i'll go back tomorrow for a raw smoothie of some sort.
Immanuel likes this.
#500 Old 08-12-2003, 05:51 PM
Veggie Regular

As far as sprouting rice goes, I've left a bowl with water and about a half cup of mixed rice on the counter for 2 days now. The rice that's small and fat that you'd make risotto out of (maybe), is sprouting little things, but the rest of it is denying that whole idea.

I'm not sure how long to wait, or if it goes bad after a certain time. I'm rinsing it twice a day, so the water stays fresh, and the rice doesn't smell bad...so maybe I'm doing it right. We'll see.

I'm starting a bowl of lentils today. I've heard that sprouts fast, so maybe I'll have better luck with that.

I still like fruit. I ate mostly veggies and fruit today. Boy! am I skinny!! (compared to last year this time) Yaaaay!
Immanuel likes this.
#501 Old 08-12-2003, 06:35 PM
Veggie Regular

jwnyc- I would put my rice in the fridge so it doesn't ferment.

vegetable- What exactly is live sour cream? Curiosity killed the cat
Immanuel likes this.
#502 Old 08-12-2003, 07:20 PM

Thank you jwnyc and sunshinemelissa for your great grain advice!

I will start sprouting brown rice tonight and I will keep you guys posted on how it turns out.

How long will it take, or how will I know when it is edible enough to eat - texture wise? :rollingeyes:

Just asking!
Immanuel likes this.
#503 Old 08-12-2003, 09:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

jwnyc- I would put my rice in the fridge so it doesn't ferment.

vegetable- What exactly is live sour cream? Curiosity killed the cat

i don't exactly know but it's really yummy! it's probably made of some sort of nut.
Immanuel likes this.
#504 Old 08-13-2003, 12:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Celebrate the watermelon

These months, I have some almost every day...

Quote:
It's nice now that my parents are gone for a little over a week I can actually eat the way I want to without getting strange looks!! I love it!!

Heh... parents

Immanuel likes this.
#505 Old 08-13-2003, 12:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Hmm, did I ever express my gratitude for all the answering (incl. all the typing!!!!) you are doing, Oatmeal? If not, then I'm taking the opportunity now: thank you!! You are such an inspiration with all your knowledge I am actually trying the uberman sleep cycle right now, after researching. It's all your fault because you posted about it :P

Oy!! You're very very welcome!

I also want to say that you all are a huge inspiration for me!! The success of this thread by far surpasses what I was hoping for. Going raw has been one of the best things that has happened to me in my life!!

(Plus I love your avatar! )

Wow you try uberman?? I'd be very interested to hear about your experiences!

Quote:
I have something else I want to address. I hear people say that they soak dried fruits. I wonder what the point is of first going through the trouble of drying fruit to then soak it again. Wouldn't that do more bad than good, since vitamins get lost during the process? Why do you dry and then soak fruits??

MisaLady said it already, driyng fruit is normally a method for preserving them. However, raw food cooks often use them in recipes either as sweetener and/or because of their texture and other unique characteristics.

The taste, sweetness and texture (both dry and soaked) of dried fruit provide more variety in raw uncooking. For instance, blending in a handful of dried fruit such as raisins, thickens raw sauces quite perfectly (because it soaks up some of the liquid). Also, several dried fruits are excellent coloring agents (for instance, pineapple can be used to give a sauce, soup, cookie, etc. a yellow color).
Immanuel likes this.
#506 Old 08-13-2003, 01:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Just wanted to give an update on my fiance and I. Today is our fourth day of being 95% Raw-Vegan (the oher five persent is cooked brown rice).

Wow - sounds really great!!

Quote:
Well anyways my first day was great, I had allot of energy and did allot of running around, cleaning and excercising and later on I was'nt even tired.

However today and yesterday I have had no apettite for food what so ever. I mean I have not been hungry for the past day and half? I have eaten lots of raw-veggies and raw-fruits these past couple of days forcing myself to eat something... I don't see why this is? Is this normal?

I think it's very difficult to say what is normal. Your body is making quite a big shift right now, so I'd say that you're generally in "not normal" mode. Some raw foodists claim that when switching from cooked to (predominantly) raw, your body goes through a "detox phase". The symptoms of detox vary from individual to individual. But I have read that many raw foodists did experience loss of appetite. I went raw gradually and kind of "unconsciously" so I can't actually remember a "detox". (When I started to eat a lot of fruit, I did experience some indigestion and bloating for about 10 days.)

It is important however to get enough calories. I'd say one or two days of eating little may be fine, but if it goes on much longer, then you should maybe try to vary the foods you eat, and come up with different fruit meals (fruit salad, shakes, etc) and try those. On the other hand, I would still listen to my body and not force myself too much either. Just try a few other foods / combinations / meals and see what your body says to them. Keep it up!! If you don't feel very bad and eat a variety of foods, you should be fine.

One more thing I wanted to mention: what happens to me sometimes is that I "forget" to eat. I don't feel hungry (or better I don't notice it). But then I would get up and get dizzy, or I drink water or eat a little bit, and suddenly it hits me how hungry I am and have been all the time. I don't think though that this has to do with raw foodism. I had this sometimes before I went raw too. But maybe you have something similar?

I'd be happy if you would keep us updated and post regularly about your progress You and your fiancee have made an (r)awesome decision to try out raw foodism and if you do it right, you will be able to benefit a LOT from it
Immanuel likes this.
#507 Old 08-13-2003, 01:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I second that motion

Thanks a lot!!!! And wayne right back at you!

Quote:
Also, Oatmeal you mentioned that you dip your brocoli in a garlic dip, if you haven't already, could you post a recipe for it in the recipe thread? I haven't gone over there yet today, so if you already did, then thanks

As I mentioned I'm experimenting more with uncooking these days. I had both successes and failures . The garlic-y dip has been one of the successes - it's a variation of raw hummus, but much more simple to make and it adheres to proper food combining!! Yay! This alone helps a LOT because now I can really eat all veggies I previously couldn't stomach in large quantities - such as broccoli flowers

Did I make you real curious now, yes? I will post it and more very soon - either tomorrow or the day after!!
Immanuel likes this.
#508 Old 08-13-2003, 01:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by jwnyc

----Has anyone heard of any rice that's bad to sprout? I put some mixed rice in a bowl yesterday with some water to see it I could sprout it, but want to make sure I'm not eating anything toxic. I've heard of kidney beans being toxic and some other kinds of beans, but I was just curious about rices.

No I haven't heard of rice that is bad to sprout, but I have read that there are only certain varieties of rice that will sprout. I believe white rice is processed and won't sprout (correct me if I'm wrong), but also many of the new, hybrid varieties won't sprout either, even if you use the unprocessed, brown kind.

I can dig up the link for this info if you're interested.

I tried to sprout brown basmati once but it started to ferment instantly and within a few days it smelled really bad. Now I know where the idea for sake comes from.

Many raw foodists don't actually sprout rice, but just soak them for days, even weeks, keeping them in the fridge and changing the water 1-2 times a day.

Quote:
I like fruit.

Me too me too!!!
Immanuel likes this.
#509 Old 08-13-2003, 01:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

jwnyc, How do you sprout brown rice? Maybe I could do that instead of cooking it!

As stated above, rice is rather difficult to sprout. However, other grains, like wheat, rye and barley are very easy to sprout. If you don't have luck with rice and want to stick to grains, then you could try those.
Immanuel likes this.
#510 Old 08-13-2003, 01:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by ren

when i eat 'salads' they're mushrooms and olives and i don't think either are vegetables hahah... i can kinda tolerate lettuce but i don't really like it. i should really just make myself eat raw food until i do like it. the only exception (that i just remembered) is i'll eat lettuce and peppers at subway.

What about fruit? Even if you don't like whole fruit, you can make amazingly tasting smoothies and shakes to get started with raw. Also, some raw foodists, who don't care for lettuce or other greens and veggies, simply blend them in their smoothies / shakes.

Quote:
anything's good if you cover it in mustard.

Ha! There you go! Eating a lot of raw veggies covered with mustard would be an excellent way to start!!
Immanuel likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page