Raw & Living Foods Thread - Page 16 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 506Likes

#451 Old 07-30-2003, 02:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by annabanana

After I read all these posts, it made me crave bananas...and it's all your fault, Oatmeal!!! So here I am, on the computer, eating a banana...mmmm...

Yes, it's my fault and I like it!

In fact I just ate a banana myself. I wasn't really hungry, just a hint maybe... I thought a glass of OJ and a banana could not hurt. They didn't!
Immanuel likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#452 Old 07-30-2003, 02:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by MisaLady

One of my favorite snacks is celery stuffed with dates. I can't seem to get enough!!

That sounds interesting. I'm looking for ways to eat more celery.

How do you stuff celery with dates? Do you mean the celery root or the stalks? Can you post the recipe/technique to the Raw Recipe thread? Or is it something really simple that I just don't get?

Thanks!
#453 Old 07-30-2003, 02:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by VegAnna

So when's Oatmeal gonna come back here? I wanna know why a berry is a berry

Yep sorry about that - I'm around but was busy with the interview thread and other things
Immanuel likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#454 Old 07-30-2003, 02:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Keegan

Oh man, mangoes are like so good right now. If you don't have any, go get them. I even ate green ones that were almost too ripe (if that's possible--yes it is, I had black ones inside before)

Oh man. I overate on mangoes. I got them 5 for $1. They were smallish, but still. It was too much, LOL.

So I didn't buy them for a while. But last week I got a huge one. It's ripe by now so I should be back to mango eatin' by tomorrow
Immanuel likes this.
#455 Old 07-30-2003, 02:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by lighthouse25

Question to Oatmeal,

You do allot of excercise, what would a typical Raw-Foodist diet be for someone like me who excercises for 30 minutes per day?

Hi lighthouse25!!

Actually, I don't excercise THAT much more than you do. I'd say about 30-45 minutes a day for me. I do weight training and I run every day (unless I can't), but I don't overdo it. The last, say, month I have been kind of low key about excercise. I did do it daily, but mostly I did like all in all 10 sets max. for weights and later I went for a short (but fast) run. I just didn't feel like doing more than that. But recently I've been feeling more upbeat again, so I'm already increasing the amount I'm doing. Still, it won't be more than 45 minutes / day. I believe excercise should be moderate, although you should break a sweat once you start doing it.

There is not a "typical raw food diet". You can be raw and eat 5% fat, or 90% fat, too little or too much.

The diet I recommend (sufficient calories, low fat, based on fruits and vegetables, supplemented with some nuts/seeds and sprouted legumes) would always look the same. Persons with higher calorie needs should eat more, those with lower calorie needs should eat less.

The only indicator that guides me is my hunger, and I recommend the same to you too. Chew well, eat until full, don't overeat. When you get hungry, eat again! Eat fruit alone, preferably on an empty stomach.

p.s. PM is coming your way real soon!
Immanuel likes this.
#456 Old 07-30-2003, 02:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by borealis

I have to say, this is the nicest thread on all of Veggieboards. Everyone is polite and happy, and the topic is so nummy!

I agree!!!

Thanks to everyone who contributes. May the RAW be with you all!

(I came up with that just before, LOL)
Immanuel likes this.
#457 Old 07-30-2003, 03:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by portabella

Yeah for this thread! I can't believe how much it has really taken off. I was here from the beginning but then I went on vacation and people went raw crazy-that's awesome!!!!

This is a wonderful thread it always makes me smile and crave bananas! Thanks everyone for your input to get this thing to 23 pages of great info!

Yeah... It's awesome. I wouldn't have believed it myself!!!

Hehe... this is the thread for banana addicts, hehe. Yes, thanks to everyone!
Immanuel likes this.
#458 Old 07-30-2003, 05:39 AM

actually-i dont like bananas at all! It is the only fruit i dislike. I only like dehydrated banana chips. hehe sorry guys.

does anyone know of anyone who survives on raw fruit and veg alone? i mean, with no other supplements, etc? im interested. can it be done? (this of course, means not eating grains, breads etc)
Immanuel likes this.
#459 Old 07-30-2003, 07:31 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally posted by Oatmeal

How do you stuff celery with dates? Do you mean the celery root or the stalks? Can you post the recipe/technique to the Raw Recipe thread? Or is it something really simple that I just don't get?

I just slice the dates lengthwise (so the slices are long) and shove them in the celery stalk. It really is very tasty. It sounds odd, I know, but very yummy.
Immanuel likes this.
#460 Old 07-30-2003, 11:47 AM

mmm...I will have to try the dates with celery sounds yummy.
#461 Old 07-30-2003, 12:07 PM
Beginner

If you want to get REALLY luxurious, you could try it with Medjool dates and rather than cut the dates, cut the celery into sticks small enough to shove through the date. Of course, for some, that could be too sweet, but for others, one or two would be pretty tasty.
Immanuel likes this.
#462 Old 07-30-2003, 12:26 PM

Anybody know of any good raw-vegan foodist websites on the Internet?
Immanuel likes this.
#463 Old 07-30-2003, 01:26 PM
Beginner

http://www.living-foods.com (probably the biggest one on the 'net) They also have a links page on their site.

http://www.vegsource.com/talk/raw - this is a forum/BB - Dr.Graham is a really nice guy, advocates a low-fat diet, but this site is helpful even if you don't choose to go low-fat

http://www.rawfamily.com - watch the recipes, though, if you're a strict vegan, as some contain honey. I would reccommend their books, too. This family has been doing this now for 8 or 9 years.

http://www.thegardendiet.com

http://www.shazzie.com Shazzie kept a journal online for a long time, now she updates at least once or twice a month. She's great. It is wonderful to read her journal. I'd advocate doing it even if you don't go raw.

http://www.rawvegan.com

Well, there's a few to start with anyways. HTH.
Immanuel likes this.
#464 Old 07-30-2003, 01:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Thought I'd post an update on my experiences with raw foods

I started increasing my raw intake right from the beginning of this thread. I've been eating a fruit breakfast every morning for about a week now, and I've found it perks me up straight away. Ten minutes after eating I'm ready to face the day.

I eat one cooked meal and one raw meal each day on average and snack on fruit and nuts whenever my body tells me it's hungry. It's become so much easier to understand what my body is telling me now I have all the processed gunk out of my system. I eat lots of sprouts and even have my in-laws addicted to them too So now I'm growing lots of extra sprouts and have a counter top dedicated to sprout growing since there is such a high demand for it in my house.

And I've also noticed tiredness feels different. I can't really explain it, but the 'fog' that used to descend on my mind and body in the evening doesn't affect me any more. My body becomes weary much later (and feels more 'natural' - hard to explain) and my mind stays alert until I let myself know it's time for sleep. I need much less sleep - 8 hours is refreshing, instead of 10 hours and waking up groggy as I was doing before.

My cooked food is still healthy food - legumes, grains, vegetables, and I try not to cook as long as I would have. I still drink tea and soymilk and teecino (sp?) herbal 'coffee' , plus tofu and seitan when I fancy them. I'm happy with the balance I have at the moment.

I'm so happy to have found this thread - it has made such a difference to my life. I'm mentally more alert and in general a much happier, relaxed person. I still fulfill my enjoyment of cooking by varying the 'theme', texture and colour of salads and presenting them in pretty ways. Raw food just looks nicer on a plate, because the colours are so much more vibrant.

Plus, I'm discovering fruits and veggies I've never tried before - today I bought two papayas - I've never had them before and I'm very much looking forward to trying them I might combine them with the mangoes I've become addicted to since reading this thread and I've heard that the seeds make a good dressing.

I know this is a long post but I guess I just wanted to say thanks to Oatmeal for starting this thread and being such a great 'host' and to everyone else for exploring the issues in such a friendly and good-natured manner This really is a happy thread! Just increasing the amount of raw food I eat has made such huge changes for me, and I don't feel like I need to be counting calories and checking my nutrient intake all the time--I'm so much more in tune with my own body that I just seem to know. My skin is the clearest and 'plumpest' it's ever been, my weight is stabilising naturally, and my hairdresser is astonished by the condition of my hair. Her eyes widened with amazement when she saw all the new hairs. I have thick hair anyway, but I have all this new growth. She said that's a very good, healthy sign. My nails are strong and growing past the tips of my fingers instead of being the flimsy paper thin things that wouldn't grow without splitting.

So, all in all, thanks everyone for inspiring me to try this. I hope that if anyone was still doubtful after reading this far that I've convinced you to at least increase the raw foods in your diet. I would never have believed that so much would change so quickly.
Immanuel likes this.
#465 Old 07-30-2003, 01:47 PM

Thank you so much for the MisaLady! I have checked all of your recommended websites and they gave me allot of insite. You're the greatest!

However I was on this particular website www.gardendiet.com for raw-vegan diet garunteed for weight-loss and vitality, it's called The Circular Workout! Anyone know about this before I consider paying my money for it?
Immanuel likes this.
#466 Old 07-30-2003, 01:54 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally posted by lighthouse25

However I was on this particular website www.gardendiet.com for raw-vegan diet garunteed for weight-loss and vitality, it's called The Circular Workout! Anyone know about this before I consider paying my money for it?

I don't know much about that, but I can reccommend their e-book... it is only $5 and, while not very long, informative, and gives a sample transition schedule. It also gives you some "replacement" foods. I've heard nothing but good about this site.

Anybody else?
Immanuel likes this.
#467 Old 07-30-2003, 05:24 PM
Veggie Regular

this site has some good links: http://www.alissacohen.com/links.html

and (sorry if its already been mentioned) but ive just discovered this site http://www.satyamag.com , for the magazine Satya, which has an article called 'Optimal Health Through Raw Plant Foods'.

(btw, Ive havent read the article yet, nor have i ever heard of this magazine).
Immanuel likes this.
#468 Old 07-31-2003, 02:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by maxi

actually-i dont like bananas at all! It is the only fruit i dislike. I only like dehydrated banana chips. hehe sorry guys.

That's OK!... *cough*cough*(weirdo)*cough*

Quote:
does anyone know of anyone who survives on raw fruit and veg alone? i mean, with no other supplements, etc? im interested. can it be done? (this of course, means not eating grains, breads etc)

Yes! Me!

If left to my own devices, I eat mostly fruit and veg. I do eat some other things too, but that's more to add some interest or to enjoy a particular flavor, and it's always a very small part of my diet, which I could leave out without problems and I often do so.

I don't eat any grains. I eat some legumes, say up to 1/2 cup max. per day but usually just a handful on my salads. I don't really care for nuts personally, I eat them maybe once a month. Though I LOVE sunflower seeds in every stage (dry, soaked, sprouted or as green sprouts) and use them frequently. But again, I never overdo it. Say I make a pate of sunflower seeds and a herb, and use it sparingly as dip when eating a plate of veggies. I eat maybe one or two Tbsp of olive oil in my salads a day (on days when I have avocado for fat, I don't use oil).

I use no spices, only herbs. Though I use salt - I left it out completely for a couple of weeks and found that I feel better now that I use it again. I want to experiment more with less salt though soon again.

These additional items are never more than, say, 300 calories a day - I could eat 3 more bananas instead .

Lately I began to experiment with uncooking - using actual recipes , but I always seek out recipes that are vegetable based, or eat them sparingly if they are based on legumes or nuts. It's more for entertainment and playing around. I'm still at the very beginning of this, but I'll post to the Recipe thread when I have something concrete.

The only supplement I take is a B12 pill if I don't forget it (this now reminded me to take one, hehe)

Also, Dr. Graham has been a pure fruit/veg guy for 12 years now, and he has several "followers" over at VegSource.
Immanuel likes this.
#469 Old 07-31-2003, 02:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by MisaLady

I just slice the dates lengthwise (so the slices are long) and shove them in the celery stalk. It really is very tasty. It sounds odd, I know, but very yummy.

Thanks! I'll absolutely try it!
Immanuel likes this.
#470 Old 07-31-2003, 02:17 AM
Veggie Regular

RE: Links

Thanks to MisaLady, and natalie for posting them! It's pretty much the same collection as I have. I'll add the site of Dr. Graham, he has some good articles online.

BTW the posted URL for the Garden Diet site was wrong in a few posts above, it's: http://www.thegardendiet.com. The eBook sounds interesting, I think I will purchase it!

Immanuel likes this.
#471 Old 07-31-2003, 02:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobsy

Thought I'd post an update on my experiences with raw foods

Thanks for this and WOW!!! Sounds very very good!!

I somewhat envious of your "sprouting station". I want to have something like that too, we spend a fortune on sprouts! Well, not exactly but still, hehe.

I agree about the sleep and the sleepiness. It's the same with me. I'm alert all the time, but when I'm tired, I'm REALLY tired and have no difficulties whatsoever to fall asleep. I sleep max. 8 hours, but mostly 6.

Also, yes it's such an experience to discover all the tasty fruit and vegetables that are available.

Quote:
I'm so happy to have found this thread - it has made such a difference to my life. I'm mentally more alert and in general a much happier, relaxed person. I still fulfill my enjoyment of cooking by varying the 'theme', texture and colour of salads and presenting them in pretty ways. Raw food just looks nicer on a plate, because the colours are so much more vibrant.

I'm happy you feel this way!! And I couldn't have said it better myself.

Quote:
I know this is a long post but I guess I just wanted to say thanks to Oatmeal for starting this thread and being such a great 'host' and to everyone else for exploring the issues in such a friendly and good-natured manner This really is a happy thread!

Well, it's almost as long as my posts! You're absolutely welcome. I get back from this thread so much more than I put into it!!! Thank you too for your posts so far!

Quote:
Just increasing the amount of raw food I eat has made such huge changes for me, and I don't feel like I need to be counting calories and checking my nutrient intake all the time--I'm so much more in tune with my own body that I just seem to know. My skin is the clearest and 'plumpest' it's ever been, my weight is stabilising naturally, and my hairdresser is astonished by the condition of my hair. Her eyes widened with amazement when she saw all the new hairs. I have thick hair anyway, but I have all this new growth. She said that's a very good, healthy sign. My nails are strong and growing past the tips of my fingers instead of being the flimsy paper thin things that wouldn't grow without splitting.

I have no comment on this, I just wanted to quote it for everyone to read again!!

Quote:
So, all in all, thanks everyone for inspiring me to try this. I hope that if anyone was still doubtful after reading this far that I've convinced you to at least increase the raw foods in your diet. I would never have believed that so much would change so quickly. [/B]

Wow - this was a very inspiring post, Bobsy, I mean it really inspires me and I hope others as well.

I'm very happy for you!!!

See you soon!
Immanuel likes this.
#472 Old 08-05-2003, 02:44 PM
Beginner

My husband has been so supportive of me going raw... this morning, he walked in with a nice, yummy, juicy pear. This is significant because he knows I like soft-juicy-pears rather than crispy-like-an-apple-pears.

At any rate, it was yummy! How nice to wake up to gifts of fruit.
Immanuel likes this.
#473 Old 08-06-2003, 02:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm really stressed lately, and came THIS close (thumb and forefinger very close together) to going out and buying french fries. I didn't do it! I went to the fruit stand guy and bought 5 bananas and an apple instead. So proud of me! (pats self on back)

I feel much better than I'm sure I would have had I eaten greasy french fries.
Immanuel likes this.
#474 Old 08-07-2003, 11:01 AM

I read on a special fruit website that if you are trying to lose weight on a raw-vegan diet that you should only consume one bannana per day. Why is this?

My fiance and I are currently trying to lose ALLOT of weight (at least 100 pounds each) and we feel a raw-vegan diet will help us tremendously. I'm starting Raw-Vegan this weekend along with my fiance (this thread has given me so much insite and knowledge and I am now seeking information to better improve myself on this special diet that we will be on for the rest of our lives). But we were both amazed by this news because we love bananas so much.

Does anyone have any insite?
Immanuel likes this.
#475 Old 08-07-2003, 01:11 PM
Rie
Veggie Regular

I know bananas are calorie dense. Maybe this is it?
Immanuel likes this.
#476 Old 08-08-2003, 09:45 AM

Thanks for the bananna tip!

Well today I am officially going Raw-Vegan, and I plan on not looking back. Thank you so much Oatmeal for beginning this thread.
Immanuel likes this.
#477 Old 08-08-2003, 11:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Interesing, I had noticed how my fingernails were rock hard and growing and my hair has been fuller and shinier. I hadn't put 2 and 2 together until I read Bobsies post. It must be all the extra raw I'm eating. I eat a cooked dinner, but my other meals are primarily raw now. My skin is clearing up too. I hadn't even realized that this all happened when I upped my raw intake. Thanks for the insight Bobsy
Immanuel likes this.
#478 Old 08-10-2003, 08:17 PM
Veggie Regular

This is from the fruitarian thread, I thought I should post my reply here.

Quote:
Originally posted by freemouse

Oatmeal, can you give us a sample of your typical daily menu? Just curious

On page 5 of this thread there's a 3 day food log of me. I think I will post daily food logs more often, since this question comes up quite often.

But my "typical day" looks like this:

I begin the day with fruit. Bananas, or a shake of fruit and juice, or watermelon, or a fruit salad (if I'm very hungry, I'll add dried fruit), etc. I continue to eat fruit (any fruit, mostly seasonal) whenever hungry until around lunch, when I will have a salad, consisting of one or two heads of lettuce mixed with veggies (for instance, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, zucchini, sprouts) and either a simple dressing (e.g. olive oil, or lemon, etc.), or no dressing.

As soon as I get hungry in the afternoon, I eat fruit again, until dinner, when I have another huge salad. I may add a few seeds this time. If I had little or no added fat on that day, I will eat an avocado too.

I finish the day off with (surprise), more fruit. I tend to drink more juice (if I have some) in the evening.

This is a typical, "uninspired" day for me, but of course I'm varying my meals and I eat according to what my body tells me. Sometimes I eat more, sometimes less. I never count calories, but I think I eat 2000-3000 calories per day.

I often eat other kinds of greens with or instead of the lettuce. Sometimes I eat no lettuce at all, but more of the other veggies. I always keep sprouts at hand, and I especially love lentil sprouts in my salads. Sometimes I eat less whole fruit and more shakes. I also like to eat vegetable plates with cut up veggies and one or two simple raw dips.

Sometimes I eat less fruit and more veggies, or the other way around. Really I eat whatever is in season and whatever I desire, mostly in a very simple form.

All of these meals are absolutely incredibly tasting, they are healthy, have tons of nutrients, and require very little preparation. I love eating this way

Additionally, on some days I try "uncooking", i.e. creating a more elaborate raw dish. Raw noodles are an all time favorite. Check out the Raw Recipes thread in the Food Discussion forum to see how raw recipes and food preparation look like.

This link (posted by Shannon (zimngir) yesterday) has a very good description of the raw food philosophy I'm following (the paragraph below the picture).

http://www.rawsacramento.net/recipes.htm
Immanuel likes this.
#479 Old 08-10-2003, 08:40 PM

I too am following a mostly raw food/fruitarian diet. I have never felt better. I do about 90% fruit a day, the rest are veggies. Everyone once in a while I will cook something like broccoli.
Immanuel likes this.
#480 Old 08-10-2003, 11:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by jwnyc

I'm really stressed lately, and came THIS close (thumb and forefinger very close together) to going out and buying french fries. I didn't do it! I went to the fruit stand guy and bought 5 bananas and an apple instead. So proud of me! (pats self on back)

I feel much better than I'm sure I would have had I eaten greasy french fries.

*joins jwync in patting her on back*

Yes eating them would probably have been a good deterrant, hehe.

BTW, your recipe for the yam/apple dish in the recipe thread looks so yummy. I want to try it soon!
Immanuel likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page