Veggie Regular

You people are nice
Immanuel likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#422 Old 07-21-2003, 04:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Oatmeal,

I've found that being vegan tends to open up a lot of debate in conversations. It seems like an ok door for people to try to tell you what you're doing is absolutely ridiculous. Do you find that since you've gone raw, it's even worse? If so, how do you handle these situations? I know that you probably handle it pretty well, because you are a pool of knowledge and a great debator, just curious what you tell them and if you pursue the debate or try to dwindle it.
#423 Old 07-21-2003, 05:54 PM
Veggie Regular

word. what i found hard enough about being even lacto-ovo, and then vegan, was going out to dinner with friends or having dinner at someone else's house, because it would require advance planning, and discussions (but not usually arguments at least) would ensue about my eating habits. to put it this way, i feel bad enough having to explain to people how i won't eat meat, fish, cheese, eggs, milk, etc...at which point i'm usually handed a veggie burger...which is fine...but bringing up the raw only thing is unimaginable.

that said, i'm not 100% raw so for myself, so thus far, i have been just sucking it up and eating cooked food in social situations, when there is no other option. as oatmeal keeps saying, it's not an ethical thing so it's not like you're compromising your morals or something by breaking it once in awhile.

however, if another raw foodist felt differently and refused to eat anything cooked, how would he or she maintain that lifestyle in social situations with non-raw friends/family...esp. people who are omnis and can barely grasp veg*nism? personally, it would be complicated for me, but most everyone i know is an omni, so they aren't terribly open to or aware of these alternative eating plans to begin with. shrug.
Immanuel likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#424 Old 07-21-2003, 06:06 PM
Beginner

Most people just ask that there be a salad available, and they bring their own dressing.

Alternatively, they could offer to bring enough of a raw dish for everybody to have a little.

With regards to restaurants, if nothing else, there's usually salad available.

There are some people who must be 100% due to illness.
Immanuel likes this.
#425 Old 07-24-2003, 01:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Restaurants have raw veggies around to make into cooked veggies later. There's a vast refridgerator in every restaurant, so it shouldn't be too big a deal for them to make you a raw veggie plate, if you don't want a salad. There's always a fruit salad, too.
Immanuel likes this.
#426 Old 07-25-2003, 01:34 AM
Veggie Regular

A possibly misplaced question, but I'm always so curious about fruits

What makes a berry a berry and all other fruit non-berries?

And I was thinking something the other day. If someone is fruitarian for ethical reasons, meaning they don't want to "kill" anything to eat, then wouldn't they also have to avoid killing plants for cosmetics/cothes/etc.?? I mean, I know this is silly, but ... just a thought.
Immanuel likes this.
#427 Old 07-25-2003, 01:59 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally posted by VegAnna

And I was thinking something the other day. If someone is fruitarian for ethical reasons, meaning they don't want to "kill" anything to eat, then wouldn't they also have to avoid killing plants for cosmetics/cothes/etc.?? I mean, I know this is silly, but ... just a thought.

Not all fruitarians are for ethical reasons. That being said, a lot of raw people avoid cosmetics/shampoo/etc... and use natural choices instead (ie lemon juice for shampoo once a week). And some of them would, if they could, avoid it all, but most realize that you can only go so far and not be against the laws of society (while I wouldn't be offended that people walk around naked, a lot of people WOULD be offended). Many of them try to be "As Natural As Permitted By Society Law."

But yes, it can get obsessive.
Immanuel likes this.
#428 Old 07-28-2003, 12:03 AM

WOW!!! I don't know if, after three consecutive days of reading this thread and all the associated links, I am happy or sad to have reached the end. I guess I should neither be happy or sad but just accept that I am now here. Regardless I must say this has been one inspiring thread!!!

Tonight I went to the store and gathered a cart full of fresh fruits and veggies (about ½ organic). I am so excited about this change I can't wait for breakfast (my first Raw meal). I have been ovo-lacto for about eight years and I managed to go Vegan for one six-month stretch before falling off the wagon. I was planning on going Vegan again when I stumbled across this thread. I think I will use the raw food change, and subsequent energy boost, as my impetus for returning to Veganism. I am excited about ridding the animal products as well as the cooked food from my diet over the next few weeks!

Oatmeal, I want to thank you for starting this RAWesome thread, and thanks to everyone that has contributed. I have truly enjoyed this so far and look forward to hearing more about everyone's experiences with raw foods
Immanuel likes this.
#429 Old 07-28-2003, 02:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Wow Oatmeal, I just read this thread tonight. There is a lot of information here and as always you inform so sweetly.

However, I am just not a fruit person. You know how a banana stops tasting good to you after you have eaten 5? Well, that happens to me on the first banana. Half a mango and I'm good, OR one apple etc. I have to make myself eat fruit. (Mmm rice, potatoes and bread )

Also, if I skip breakfast completely...I feel just fine until lunch. I don't even feel hungry. If I eat fruit or some other light breakfast, about an hour later I feel very weak and a little nauseous. Like I am TOO hungry. Any ideas?

Thanks, Oat.
Immanuel likes this.
#430 Old 07-28-2003, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mushroom

You know how a banana stops tasting good to you after you have eaten 5? Well, that happens to me on the first banana. Half a mango and I'm good, OR one apple etc. I have to make myself eat fruit. (Mmm rice, potatoes and bread )

ONE banana!!!?? HALF a mango?!?! ONE apple?!? *faints*

Being in TX currently, I am almost forced to eat more raw.... but I'm not complaining. We went to a buffet, and while everyone was eating charred steaks, and potatoes. I had a big plate of strawberries, melon, pineapple, and grapes, and another of all the various veggies! And a couple nights ago, while everyone was eating menudo (ACK! BLAGH! UGH! ) I had a nice bowl of guac with carrots.

Man, it feels good to eat pretty, colorful food, while everyone else is eating their gross, dead things.
Immanuel likes this.
#431 Old 07-28-2003, 12:30 PM

Day One: (as of 1pm)

Breakfast: 2bananas, 1 apple

Lunch: 4 carrots, a large helping of spinach and green beans

Notes:
[list=1]
[*]Can't seem to eat more yet. Have some broccoli, watermelon, and grapefruits I have not begun to touch (got full )
[*]Craving sweet pees in pods, weird huh.
[/list=1]
Immanuel likes this.
#432 Old 07-28-2003, 12:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Ennui

[B][U]
[/list=1]

not wierd at all, I crave them all the time. They are probably the best thing to munch on raw...nummy to my tummy
Immanuel likes this.
#433 Old 07-28-2003, 12:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Half a mango!? Two barely satisfys me. I've been eating like whole cantaloupes at once. Once I ate a whole antaloupe and 7 bananas (big breakfast!)
Immanuel likes this.
#434 Old 07-28-2003, 12:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I am so addicted to banana smoothies. I can't eat a lot raw, but if I freeze and blend them, I can eat like 4 at a time. Not quite as much as Oatmeal, but more than I usually eat.
Immanuel likes this.
#435 Old 07-28-2003, 12:49 PM
Veggie Regular

After I read all these posts, it made me crave bananas...and it's all your fault, Oatmeal!!! So here I am, on the computer, eating a banana...mmmm...
Immanuel likes this.
#436 Old 07-28-2003, 03:18 PM
Beginner

One of my favorite snacks is celery stuffed with dates. I can't seem to get enough!!
Immanuel likes this.
#437 Old 07-28-2003, 03:19 PM
Veggie Regular

So when's Oatmeal gonna come back here? I wanna know why a berry is a berry
Immanuel likes this.
#438 Old 07-28-2003, 03:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh man, mangoes are like so good right now. If you don't have any, go get them. I even ate green ones that were almost too ripe (if that's possible--yes it is, I had black ones inside before)
Immanuel likes this.
#439 Old 07-28-2003, 08:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Sorry about the longer break, I'm back!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by sunshinemelissa

Oatmeal,

I've found that being vegan tends to open up a lot of debate in conversations. It seems like an ok door for people to try to tell you what you're doing is absolutely ridiculous. Do you find that since you've gone raw, it's even worse? If so, how do you handle these situations? I know that you probably handle it pretty well, because you are a pool of knowledge and a great debator, just curious what you tell them and if you pursue the debate or try to dwindle it.

Aww, actually I don't debate THAT much in real life, hehehe.

As for the question, I find raw foodism can even be easier than veganism.

First, I don't feel that I need to discuss it much. Raw foodism is a question of healthy eating, perhaps a philosophy, but on a daily basis it expresses itself as a preference. I prefer to eat uncooked, unprocessed foods. To me preference is a personal thing and not subject to debate. So if anything, I tell people that I love fruit and salad, which is true. I'm not in this for the label, but for the fruit and salad

I have yet to meet someone saying to me that what I'm doing is "ridiculous". Everyone seems to know that fruit and salad is healthy. Others may think you're a nut for eating that much of it (while in fact it's perfectly clear that THEY are nuts ) but they don't feel they have to defend their way of eating nearly as much as when faced with vegetarianism. When meeting a veg*n, omnis often feel they must morally justify their meat eating (which is impossible IMO).

I too feel very different about things when it comes to veg*nism. I won't eat meat, period. No exceptions there. And I'm more willing to debate there. I won't attack anybody, but when THEY bring it up and say something untrue or apologetic, I usually will state my opinion.

Now when someone says they like cooked food, I certainly won't debate this any further. Hey, I like cooked food too. I just like raw more, hehe. Should I not find raw food, I won't make a scene. Personally, I even want to try every (vegan) cooked recipe there is. Why not? Raw is not about restriction. Nobody should be worried about inviting Oat I will eat anything (veg*n) in moderation. (And if there's salad and fruit, I'm a happy guy anyway). I will also make sure I have bananas with me as a last resort.

Both veganism and raw foodism are definitely long term things for me. Eating something cooked every once in a while won't "spoil me". Similarly, if something non-vegan slips in, I won't get upset and ask on VB if I'm "still vegan", LOL. I try to see the big picture.

But I will also say that I don't eat out that often. If you're eating out because of your job, etc., then you can certainly make arrangements. Finding raw vegan foods should actually be a lot easier than finding vegan convenience food. You can buy fruit, salad or juices in every grocery. You can take calorie dense raw dishes with you (fruit salads, smoothies, trail mixes etc).

If you eat out a lot because you socialize a lot (say more than 3x a week), AND you try to be a raw foodist (or any other type of very health conscious person) then I think you may end up sitting between two chairs. I think it's either you control your diet most of the time, OR you eat out a lot socially (and necessarily compromise a lot). Nothing wrong with either one, I'm just not sure they are 100% compatible, unless you socialize with other raw foodists

These are just my opinions and observations. Your mileage may vary. Thanks to everyone else who replied and I would like to read more about people's experiences in the non-raw world.

It's true what jwnyc said, many restaurants even have a "crudite plate" on the menu (it seems they have to use the French word for it. "Raw" would be too "earthy" I guess, hehe).

BTW I can't seem to make a post without a reference to Dr. Graham, but he has a CD called "Succeeding Socially with a Raw Food Diet". Unfortunately it's quite pricey ($25 is a lot for a CD), but I'm very curious to hear what he has to say about it.
Immanuel likes this.
#440 Old 07-28-2003, 08:22 PM

You know...

I have tried oatmeal with applejuice and it is so awesome. I suggest that everyone give this a try!

I'm currently trying to go raw-foodist (100%), and I am glad that Oatmeal started this great tread!
Immanuel likes this.
#441 Old 07-29-2003, 03:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by VegAnna

A possibly misplaced question, but I'm always so curious about fruits

What makes a berry a berry and all other fruit non-berries?

No question about fruit is misplaced here Sorry for the delay!

Botanically, berries are closed (indehiscent) fruits, originating from a single ovary (from one flower). Fleshy throughout, no hard rind, the seed(s) embedded in the pulp. They are often of bright color to attract animals which then eat the fruit and disperse the seeds. Grapes, currants, even tomatoes are berries.

In everyday speech a lot of fruits are called berries. I don't know if there is one trait which makes a fruit a "berry". I'd say that all (so-called) berries are all roundish, tiny-ish, and pricey-ish. They are often red-ish. They spoil fast.

Blueberries, cranberries and currants are "true berries" (botanically).

Some "berries", that are not berries botanically, are:

Blackberry and raspberry: similar to each other, they are fruits of plants in the genus "Rubus" of the rose family. They are not one fruit, but aggregates of many small fruits. Each "cell" of the berry is a complete fruit with a tiny stone pit in the middle.

Strawberries are "false fruits"! The body of the strawberry is the base of the flower. The "seeds" on the surface of a strawberry are the true fruits. Each of the tiny "seeds" is in reality a complete tiny fruit, with a seed in the middle.

BTW, here's a list of "everyday speech" berries.

Quote:

There might be people like this. And I thought I'm the greatest nut of all hehe. MisaLady gave a good answer. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't some Jainists fruitarians because of the tenet called "Ahimsa" (don't harm any living being)?

I read on another board that "true" raw foodists never brush their teeth. Yuck.

p.s. I procrastinated too long, and now it's too late. I will catch up with the rest tomorrow, promise!
Immanuel likes this.
#442 Old 07-29-2003, 01:05 PM

Question to Oatmeal,

You do allot of excercise, what would a typical Raw-Foodist diet be for someone like me who excercises for 30 minutes per day?
Immanuel likes this.
#443 Old 07-29-2003, 01:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I have to say, this is the nicest thread on all of Veggieboards. Everyone is polite and happy, and the topic is so nummy!
Immanuel likes this.
#444 Old 07-29-2003, 02:22 PM
Beginner

Yeah for this thread! I can't believe how much it has really taken off. I was here from the beginning but then I went on vacation and people went raw crazy-that's awesome!!!!

This is a wonderful thread it always makes me smile and crave bananas! Thanks everyone for your input to get this thing to 23 pages of great info!
Immanuel likes this.
#445 Old 07-30-2003, 01:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

WOW!!! I don't know if, after three consecutive days of reading this thread and all the associated links, I am happy or sad to have reached the end. I guess I should neither be happy or sad but just accept that I am now here. Regardless I must say this has been one inspiring thread!!!

Hahahaha! Hello and welcome Ennui! Glad you enjoyed reading through this thread.

Quote:
Tonight I went to the store and gathered a cart full of fresh fruits and veggies (about ½ organic). I am so excited about this change I can't wait for breakfast (my first Raw meal). I have been ovo-lacto for about eight years and I managed to go Vegan for one six-month stretch before falling off the wagon. I was planning on going Vegan again when I stumbled across this thread. I think I will use the raw food change, and subsequent energy boost, as my impetus for returning to Veganism. I am excited about ridding the animal products as well as the cooked food from my diet over the next few weeks!

Sounds great!! I like your philosophy of using the "raw energy" to get over non-vegan food. I think it may be a winner

Remember though that it still is a process. Your body will need time to adjust. You may have cravings for cooked food, even for non-vegan food. Depriving youtself in those situations would not be a good thing IMO. It's better to eat a few bites of the food you crave (along with plenty of raw food, e.g. lettuce).

In all cases, you should stick with the raw fruit breakfast, that's the most important step. You can then build on that foundation. And remember to eat enough. Fruit gives you a lot of energy, but when it's gone, you get real hungry real fast. In the beginning, until you find the best eating pattern for you, always make sure to have plenty of food with you. If you get hungry, eat. Try not to eat too many different kinds of food at once.

Please post from time to time, or as often as you want. I'm curious to hear about how it's going!

Quote:
Oatmeal, I want to thank you for starting this RAWesome thread, and thanks to everyone that has contributed. I have truly enjoyed this so far and look forward to hearing more about everyone's experiences with raw foods

You're welcome. I enjoy it a lot too! It seems it's a win-win situation!!! See you soon!
Immanuel likes this.
#446 Old 07-30-2003, 01:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by mushroom

Wow Oatmeal, I just read this thread tonight. There is a lot of information here and as always you inform so sweetly.

Thanks mushroom! Glad you found this thread and enjoyed it

Quote:
However, I am just not a fruit person. You know how a banana stops tasting good to you after you have eaten 5? Well, that happens to me on the first banana. Half a mango and I'm good, OR one apple etc. I have to make myself eat fruit. (Mmm rice, potatoes and bread)

Also, if I skip breakfast completely...I feel just fine until lunch. I don't even feel hungry. If I eat fruit or some other light breakfast, about an hour later I feel very weak and a little nauseous. Like I am TOO hungry. Any ideas?

Thanks, Oat.

Seems to be a tougher case, and I knew and wondered about your non-fruit ways before

It seems you are very much used to processed carbs. Of course, I wouldn't recommend making drastic changes in your diet, that would only upset your body. But I do think it's a good idea to start *slowly* to increase the amount of raw fruits and vegetables in your diet.

Off the top of my head, I have four ideas:

1. You could try to eat fruit once a day, not necessarily in the morning, if it makes you feel bad. You could eat fruit before (up to 30 min. before) dinner. Start out with small amounts, like 1 banana, or the half mango, your most favorite fruit, any fruit. But do eat some fruit every day, preferably at the same time every day. I find that fruit is a very effective drug for the human body, you get addicted to it very fast. Having a regular "fruit eating schedule" might help your body to "discover" fruit again.

Or do you like smoothies? You could try to eat/drink one fruit smoothie a day, for starters. Just mix any combination of frozen and fresh fruit, water and or ice in the blender. I love orange banana shakes. They are very simple and there is not a blender large enough in the world that could make enough for me, LOL. Simply blend frozen banana (peeled and cut into disks before freezing) in OJ. It should have the consistency of a thick juice, i.e. still quite liquid. The other day I had a great coconut-milk/frozen strawberry/frozen banana (same as before)/ice smoothie. It was fantastic. I'm sure you could find a combination that would get you hooked immediately. Start out with small smoothies.

2. If you really don't like fruit, you could do the same with salad. Start to eat one salad meal a day, say for lunch, or before dinner. Lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers (or anything else you like), and a simple raw(ish) dressing, like olive oil and optionally lemon juice or vinegar. Again, try to eat it regularly every day. Begin with tiny salads first. The goal is not to get sufficient calories from it, but to get the hang of it.

3. What you wrote about your breakfast, actually seems quite natural to me. You have your light breakfast, which jump-starts your metabolism. However, you ate too little, and soon your stomach is empty again. Because your metabolism is up and running, it screams for more -> you get very hungry, even nauseous. (I'm guessing here, as you know I'm not a doctor, hehe). Such a thing happens to me too sometimes. On some days, I only get in, say, 2 bananas for breakfast. Even if I feel extremely stuffed then (yes, it happens!), in about an hour (or max. two), I will be very hungry again. It's something I know in advance and it happened every time I ate too little for breakfast.

If you are up for an experiment, try eating your light fruit breakfast. When you get hungry/nauseous, try to eat more fruit. Do this until you're fine and bursting from all the energy! (Although don't force it too much. Maybe it's something else, and not hunger. So just listen to your body. If it really refuses to take in any more fruit, then stop.)

4. Try eating watermelon. It's in season right now, and it's one of the fruits with the highest glycemic index (similar to that of potatoes, bread, pasta). It may give you the same "kick" as those processed foods, but it would still be raw. Plus it tastes very very good.

I hope these suggestions are helpful somewhat. Please come back and post more, should you try any of these (or similar) things, or if you make new observations
Immanuel likes this.
#447 Old 07-30-2003, 02:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by FafaFrappy

ONE banana!!!?? HALF a mango?!?! ONE apple?!? *faints*

LOL!

Quote:
Being in TX currently, I am almost forced to eat more raw.... but I'm not complaining. We went to a buffet, and while everyone was eating charred steaks, and potatoes. I had a big plate of strawberries, melon, pineapple, and grapes, and another of all the various veggies! And a couple nights ago, while everyone was eating menudo (ACK! BLAGH! UGH! ) I had a nice bowl of guac with carrots.

I had to look up "menudo". Then I had to look up "tripe". I agree.

But your food sounds good

Quote:
Man, it feels good to eat pretty, colorful food, while everyone else is eating their gross, dead things.

Word.
Immanuel likes this.
#448 Old 07-30-2003, 02:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Day One: (as of 1pm)

Breakfast: 2bananas, 1 apple

Lunch: 4 carrots, a large helping of spinach and green beans

Notes:
[list=1]
[*]Can't seem to eat more yet. Have some broccoli, watermelon, and grapefruits I have not begun to touch (got full )
[/list=1]

How did the day go and how have you been since then? Anything new?

Calorie wise, what you ate was not very much. If you get real hungry (which I assume you did), try to eat more calorie dense foods, like dried fruit or nuts/seeds, olive oil (don't overdo fat though). Or even a cup or two of cooked grain (rice, etc), along with some raw lettuce or veggies. It's important to get your calories, even if your body is not yet used to the large amount of raw food you need to eat to get all of them from "raw sources".

I agree with Mel, raw peas are great. I love English peas, I find that sugar and snap peas are too sweet for me.
Immanuel likes this.
#449 Old 07-30-2003, 02:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Keegan

Half a mango!? Two barely satisfys me. I've been eating like whole cantaloupes at once. Once I ate a whole antaloupe and 7 bananas (big breakfast!)

Keegan! That impresses the heck out even of me!
Immanuel likes this.
#450 Old 07-30-2003, 02:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by sunshinemelissa

I am so addicted to banana smoothies. I can't eat a lot raw, but if I freeze and blend them, I can eat like 4 at a time. Not quite as much as Oatmeal, but more than I usually eat.

Four is not bad at all, Mel!! Wow!
Immanuel likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page