Raw & Living Foods Thread - Page 14 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 506Likes

#391 Old 07-12-2003, 07:09 PM
Veggie Regular

I have to say, I feel much much better eating fruit (more energy) than when I eat a lot of oatmeal (no offense), The oatmeal makes me feel lthargic, weak, and sleepy and tired, and heavy. I like rawness, maybe when I can get out of the house (college, yeah?) I can experiment more with the raw/almost raw diet thing. Also, raw corn tastes really good, especially out of the fridge!
Immanuel likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#392 Old 07-12-2003, 09:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon

I've been dabbling around the fringes of raw food for a long time, dipping my toe in and picking up some good habits along the way, but never going permanent. I have a (potentially) funny habit when I buy a book (and CD's at least I used to), I tuck the receipt inside, its interesting to look back and see when you bought something or got into something. I bought a book called Raw Energy way back in Feb 1994, I find that shocking now that I haven't done more about it. It reassured me that my preferring raw veggies to cooked (and then tasteless veggies) was OK (personal faves brocolli, cauliflower and carrots). The other thing I've got into big time is sprouting, I love sprouted chickpeas (garbanzo beans) the best, but they're all great.

Hi Jon!

Thanks for your post, how great that you discovered raw foodism so many years ago! In 1994 I think I would have considered you an extremist just for buying the book, LOL!!!

Quote:
One of the most interesting sites on being raw I've found recently is by a Cambridge (UK) lady called Shazzie, the site is here. It features amongst other bits before and after pics of 10 people, and their stories.

Thanks for posting the link, I have read a lot on Shazzie's site. She also has an extensive diary (it spans over several years) about her raw foodism. It's a very interesting read! The only thing I dislike a little bit is that she seems to be so obsessed with her "detox symptoms". And the diary sometimes discusses more than just raw foodism (like her love life), LOL!

But she is very loveable! And her "after" pics sure look a lot better!!

Quote:
Oatmeal, I'm stunned by your dedication to this thread. Wow! You mentioned that you used to be a larger person, would you be happy to give us an idea of how much things have changed?

Thanks! I'm very glad it is finding the response it does

I grew up as a fat kid due to bad dietary habits and in my late teens I had maybe 70 lbs more than I do now.

When I finally lost all the weight, I was still omni, but I did become very health conscious, so my diet improved significantly. However I never, not even later as a vegan, felt as satisfied and happy with myself as I do now as a raw foodist.
#393 Old 07-13-2003, 12:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by vegetable

i made (almost) raw gazpacho the other day...

Hi vegetable, thanks for the recipe!

Quote:
i also took a raw food (un)cooking class in january. we made zucchini pasta with tomato sauce and meat (nut) balls. it was very inspiring and made me buy a crazy spiroolini thing to make vegetable pasta! but i'm still not at all a raw person, only about 10-15%... but I hope to be healthier and eat as much fruits and veggies as possible

Mmm, sounds great! I have a spiral slicer too! It rocks!

Check out this thread every once in a while if you like, it might even help you to further increase your raw intake!
Immanuel likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#394 Old 07-13-2003, 12:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Miss Meg

RAW ROCKS...........I just want to say that I feel so awsome lately. I never get headaches anymore and I used to ALL the time. I have much more energy, and I am happy. Like three people have asked me lately why I'm so happy all the time. (ok there are other reasons I am happy too) but I really think that eating more raw food has just made me feel so much better. My work scedual was insane this week and I wasn't even that tired. Normally after working that much I would be totally drained and feeling sick, but I wasn't!!!! I just felt like sharing this, sorry for the blabbering

Can't really add anything to that, except maybe: well said, hehe...

I'm glad to hear you have found things that make you feel happy...

- but I'm sorry you have to work that much!
Immanuel likes this.
#395 Old 07-13-2003, 12:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Keegan

I have to say, I feel much much better eating fruit (more energy) than when I eat a lot of oatmeal (no offense)

None taken!

Quote:
, The oatmeal makes me feel lthargic, weak, and sleepy and tired, and heavy. I like rawness, maybe when I can get out of the house (college, yeah?) I can experiment more with the raw/almost raw diet thing. Also, raw corn tastes really good, especially out of the fridge!

Sounds like a plan! And I agree about the raw corn. It's delicious!
Immanuel likes this.
#396 Old 07-13-2003, 09:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Keegan, I feel the same way about Oatmeal. I love it, but I am always like *ugghh, muust sleeep*. I just don't think its summer food.

When I get out of this house and I am not so poor (seriously, I am so broke, trying to save for vacation) I want to try raw foodism again. And I want to keep eating more raw foods, as I said.

AND yes, I concur, that raw corn is yummy.

linz
Immanuel likes this.
#397 Old 07-13-2003, 11:05 AM
Veggie Regular

So is nutritional yeast raw?
Immanuel likes this.
#398 Old 07-13-2003, 11:11 AM
Veggie Regular

hey oatmeal, which vegetables do you use in the spiral slicer thing? i've only tried zucchinis. i wonder what else works... ?

random comment: my mom made sprouted wild rice salad (raw). i love eating raw dishes
Immanuel likes this.
#399 Old 07-13-2003, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rainbowmoon

I feel the same way about Oatmeal. I love it,

Everyone loves the slut.. oh wait. (heh, kidding, I knew what you meant)

Must try raw corn sometime...
Immanuel likes this.
#400 Old 07-13-2003, 07:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I just tried raw corn yesterday and it was so sweet, juicy and crunchy. It was way better than cooked. Thanks for the tip Keegan
Immanuel likes this.
#401 Old 07-13-2003, 07:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I just checked out this site, and it looks like it gets heated in the pasturization stage.

http://www.lesaffreyeastcorp.com/nut...g/process.html
Immanuel likes this.
#402 Old 07-13-2003, 08:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by sunshinemelissa

I just tried raw corn yesterday and it was so sweet, juicy and crunchy. It was way better than cooked.

I just ate a bowl of raw corn cut off the cob. (I cut it off because I was eating in front of my computer and I didn't want corn juice to splat on my keyboard and screen. )

It really was good! I thought I would miss the butter that I tend to slather all over corn on the cob, but it was so juicy and creamy, it didn't need any butter at all.

I also had a tomato and I'm about to go for some carrots and maybe plunder an avocado. Yay raw meals!
Immanuel likes this.
#403 Old 07-15-2003, 07:47 AM
Veggie Regular

This article about raw foods was in my local paper, originally from the Miami Herald:

http://www.mcall.com/features/all-ra...715jul15.story
Immanuel likes this.
#404 Old 07-16-2003, 02:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Since I finally found the bottom of this thread after two solid afternoons of very interesting reading, I now say "Hello You".

I was visiting my home town in Michigan in April and found out that my high school friends' mom had gone Raw some 18 months prior. She's a really cool lady, so it sorta didn't suprise me, but then I started looking into it--thinking if a 50 year old woman can do it in Mid-Michigan, I can certainly eat more raw foods in NYC.

I did what most people do, which is the Google search on Raw Foods, and found a great site that I visit often, mostly because the people there look so happy. It's www.thegardendiet.com (mentioned by Oatmeal in an earlier post, somewhere in the depths of this thread).

I read the testimonial by the Mom of the family, and ever since, I've been eating a friut shake for breakfast (1/2 cantelope, 2 bananas, dates), and making sure I eat at least one raw thing every time I eat a meal, and eating apples and pears during the afternoon hours.

Luckily the discovery of the Raw thing came at the time I was trying to quit processed sugar. So the addition of lots of fruit to my diet was incredibly helpful in getting those nasty sugar cravings out of my system. I've been gradually adding more raw items during the day, and it's truly addictive. I only want to eat more of it. I still eat something cooked for dinner and sometimes lunch, but probably 1/3 to 1/2 of what I eat is in the Raw category.

I have a couple addictions to get over--pizza and french fries. I don't eat them very often, but I know if I can quit that devilish Sugar addiction, I can quit those two things, and feel better in the long run.

I've lost some weight, tightened my belt 2 notches, and ride my bike 8 miles a day now. That fruit shake in the morning is a real kicker to get the day going, and there's nothing else I'd rather have first thing in the morning.

oh yeah, THANK THE MAKER FOR MANGO SEASON!!!!

This is a great thread.
Immanuel likes this.
#405 Old 07-17-2003, 01:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by vegetable

hey oatmeal, which vegetables do you use in the spiral slicer thing? i've only tried zucchinis. i wonder what else works... ?

I've only really tried zucchinis as well so far, though I once tried potatoes just for fun. It worked and the noodles were..... yucky

But I've heard that sweet potatoes (yams) work well and are yummy! Also I'd try jicama and other root vegetables. Now if I only would get off my lazy butt and experiment a bit.... Although I think that soon I may have to impress a certain somebody with raw dishes , so I think I will finally get my act together and UNcook more in the near future....

BTW vegetable (love that username), how many zukes do you slice for a meal? I do like 3-4 and man that's a lot of spinnin'! I'm seriously thinking about attaching a motor to my spiral slicer!
Immanuel likes this.
#406 Old 07-17-2003, 01:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by sunshinemelissa

Quote:

I just checked out this site, and it looks like it gets heated in the pasturization stage.

Thanks for the info, mel!!

I think nutritional yeast is OK to use, because of the B12, and generally it supplies a lot of good stuff (vitamins etc) without many (processed) calories. I don't overdo it though.

In fact, lately I've been thinking about switching to a pill for B12, because I seem to enjoy yeast less and less.
Immanuel likes this.
#407 Old 07-17-2003, 01:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by FafaFrappy

Everyone loves the slut.. oh wait. (heh, kidding, I knew what you meant)

Help me out here.... what did she mean?
Immanuel likes this.
#408 Old 07-17-2003, 01:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Oatmeal

I do like 3-4 and man that's a lot of spinnin'! I'm seriously thinking about attaching a motor to my spiral slicer!

Noooo, think about all the exercise you're getting What has this world come to, we need everything electi-cised and automatic, lol.
Immanuel likes this.
#409 Old 07-17-2003, 01:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by borealis

I just ate a bowl of raw corn cut off the cob. (I cut it off because I was eating in front of my computer and I didn't want corn juice to splat on my keyboard and screen. )

Oh, I'm such a pig when it comes to my keyboard. I also hate to clean it. This leaves me with only one option: on average, I replace my keyboard once a month. (I should post this in the "Your Economic Downfalls" thread)

Quote:
It really was good! I thought I would miss the butter that I tend to slather all over corn on the cob, but it was so juicy and creamy, it didn't need any butter at all.

It is generally my observation (and that of many raw foodists) that when you eat prefectly fresh and ripe foods, you don't need much seasoning / taste altering. It tastes good without all that other stuff!

Quote:
I also had a tomato and I'm about to go for some carrots and maybe plunder an avocado. Yay raw meals!

Yay for raw and yay for you!

Plunder an avocado.... Mmmm yeah I like that!
Immanuel likes this.
#410 Old 07-17-2003, 01:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by VegAnna

Noooo, think about all the exercise you're getting What has this world come to, we need everything electi-cised and automatic, lol.

Hmmmmm you're right. But then I have to do half of it with my left hand. I'm concerned about my body symmetry, you know...

BTW it's still the 16th here... Happy Birthday!!! I hope your day was great! The 80's were my favorite decade so far!
Immanuel likes this.
#411 Old 07-17-2003, 02:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by lucycat

This article about raw foods was in my local paper, originally from the Miami Herald:

http://www.mcall.com/features/all-ra...715jul15.story

My favorite bits:

Quote:
''This is about the understanding that if you eat more food that has its life force still intact, that's going to be better for us,'' says Fred Busch, a raw foods adherent and co-owner of a raw market and deli in Miami Beach. ''This means that there's life force in the cells and that's what's feeding us.''

Wow Fred Busch has some impressive pseudoscience going on there...

Quote:
While some raw foods will enhance your diet, an eating plan consisting totally of uncooked foods puts anyone particularly young children at the risk of nutritional unbalance. Although raw fruits and vegetables are packed with vitamins, a raw diet, without dairy or meat, may provide too little protein and too few fatty acids, essential to growth and health, experts say.

No wonder... these are obviously the same experts who recommend meat and dairy as essential in the (cooked) diet. Like eating the S.A.D. does not put anyone (particularly young children) at the risk of nutritional unbalance...

Raw (just like cooked) has the potential to be unhealthy, but I believe that it has more potential to be healthy than a diet with a lot of cooked, processed foods.

Quote:
''The burden of proof is on them to show that it's a better diet,'' says Linda Bobroff, a professor of nutrition at the University of Florida in Gainesville, noting that years of research stand behind the USDA-recommended food pyramid and a solidly balanced diet with a mix of raw and cooked foods.

But that's just hilarious!!!!! Years of research, imagine!!!! It's good to know that there is so much substance behind the fact that the USDA recommends 2 servings of fruit a day! Millions of years of evolution and natural raw foodism, move over! The FDA has done years of research to show what's good for us.

Quote:
[Stan] Glaser, who sells his fresh fruits and vegetables and prepared raw foods at a farmer's market on Saturdays, scoffs at the standard nutrition line.

''They lead you to believe that you have to be a Ph.D. in nutrition to know what to eat. I find this ludicrous,'' he said.

Instead, he advocates a diet more akin to that followed by our ancestors and other species. By doing that, Glaser says we will hit upon a diet that not only worked well for our forebears but will work for us.

''If you limit what you eat to the uncooked vegetables, foods which have always been available to us, then you can trust your taste,'' he says.

Stan Glaser, on the other hand, got the message right, IMO.

Etc. etc.

Thanks lucycat for the link!
Immanuel likes this.
#412 Old 07-17-2003, 02:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by jwnyc

Since I finally found the bottom of this thread after two solid afternoons of very interesting reading, I now say "Hello You".

Welcome jwnyc!! Great to have you here! Two afternoons, wow!

Quote:
I was visiting my home town in Michigan in April and found out that my high school friends' mom had gone Raw some 18 months prior. She's a really cool lady, so it sorta didn't suprise me, but then I started looking into it--thinking if a 50 year old woman can do it in Mid-Michigan, I can certainly eat more raw foods in NYC.

What a nice story! Thanks for sharing!

Quote:
I did what most people do, which is the Google search on Raw Foods, and found a great site that I visit often, mostly because the people there look so happy. It's www.thegardendiet.com (mentioned by Oatmeal in an earlier post, somewhere in the depths of this thread).

I read the testimonial by the Mom of the family, and ever since, I've been eating a friut shake for breakfast (1/2 cantelope, 2 bananas, dates), and making sure I eat at least one raw thing every time I eat a meal, and eating apples and pears during the afternoon hours.

Great to hear. I agree, her story is a very inspiring one.

Quote:
Luckily the discovery of the Raw thing came at the time I was trying to quit processed sugar. So the addition of lots of fruit to my diet was incredibly helpful in getting those nasty sugar cravings out of my system. I've been gradually adding more raw items during the day, and it's truly addictive. I only want to eat more of it. I still eat something cooked for dinner and sometimes lunch, but probably 1/3 to 1/2 of what I eat is in the Raw category.

Exactly my experience! Once you get the hang of it, you can't stop!!

Quote:
I have a couple addictions to get over--pizza and french fries. I don't eat them very often, but I know if I can quit that devilish Sugar addiction, I can quit those two things, and feel better in the long run.

Sure, it's a process.... Do what's best for you and do it at your own pace.

Quote:
I've lost some weight, tightened my belt 2 notches, and ride my bike 8 miles a day now. That fruit shake in the morning is a real kicker to get the day going, and there's nothing else I'd rather have first thing in the morning.

Congratulations! And yeah fruit shake!! If you have any more favorite recipes, would you mind sharing them in the Raw Recipes thread of the "Food & Recipe" forum?

Quote:
oh yeah, THANK THE MAKER FOR MANGO SEASON!!!!

Me too! Heck, thanks for summer in general!!

Quote:
This is a great thread.

Thanks for contributing!
Immanuel likes this.
#413 Old 07-17-2003, 02:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I've only really tried zucchinis as well so far, though I once tried potatoes just for fun. It worked and the noodles were..... yucky

But I've heard that sweet potatoes (yams) work well and are yummy! Also I'd try jicama and other root vegetables. Now if I only would get off my lazy butt and experiment a bit.... Although I think that soon I may have to impress a certain somebody with raw dishes , so I think I will finally get my act together and UNcook more in the near future....

BTW vegetable (love that username), how many zukes do you slice for a meal? I do like 3-4 and man that's a lot of spinnin'! I'm seriously thinking about attaching a motor to my spiral slicer!

i love sweet potatoes (but i've only had them cooked). i must try them raw!

goodluck with that someone! you should make spaghetti marina... or some raw pizza. i love raw italian type dishes!

yeah i only sliced 1 because it took SO long. and maybe i just have a crappy spiral-thing, but the zucchini wouldn't stay and it was quite difficult... but worth it. if i were to have an actual meal i'd probably get my mom to help and slice a lot more. or i could hire a little elf or something.

hey jwnyc: go to lifethyme (6th avenue and 8th or 9th or something) and try their raw dishes if you haven't already. they have everything! pizza, quiche, pesto stuff, lasagna, blueberry cheesecake and other deserts. it's all really yummy!
Immanuel likes this.
#414 Old 07-18-2003, 06:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Thanks for the info, mel!!

I think nutritional yeast is OK to use, because of the B12, and generally it supplies a lot of good stuff (vitamins etc) without many (processed) calories. I don't overdo it though.

In fact, lately I've been thinking about switching to a pill for B12, because I seem to enjoy yeast less and less.
[/QUOTE]

I agree with you on that one, because the thought behind going raw is to get vital nutrients that you wouldn't get in a cooked diet. No matter how strict you are the raw way, youshould still supplement with yeast, because that's something you wouldn't get raw anyway.

I think yeast is discusting, what I do is dilute it in a half glass of OJ, plug my nose, guzzle and chase with a half glass of non-yeasted OJ. I tried adding it to my smoothies, but you can still taste it. I'll probably go with a vitamin too, but I worry because some vitamins don't fully absorb in the system and come right back out through the other end. It makes you sort-of unsure how much your body actually took. The yucky liquid way lets me know that it will all get absorbed.
Immanuel likes this.
#415 Old 07-18-2003, 06:51 PM
Veggie Regular

oops, my quote boo bood
Immanuel likes this.
#416 Old 07-20-2003, 11:19 AM
Veggie Regular

I went to a raw foods class last week and Oatmeal requested that I post the recipes here. All recipes were provided by Kathie Gullick a local raw food vegan who teaches the raw food classes. This class was done at the Wild Oats Market so Kathie purchased most of the ingredients at the store.

Coconut Mint Smoothie

Ingredients:

note: for this recipe she used young thai coconuts and organic dates

3 cups coconut water

1 cup coconut meat

3-6 pitted dates

2 tbsp dried spearmint

1 tbsp fresh spearmint

Combine all ingredients in blender and mix until creamy. If serving immediately, add ice and blend. If freezing, either pour mixture into ice-cube trays, freeze then pop out and re-mix in blender; or freeze in tupperware. Note - if freezing in tupperware, put in refrigerator a few hours to soften before eating. Very rich and creamy, tastes like ice cream.
Immanuel likes this.
#417 Old 07-20-2003, 11:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Next Recipe:

Banana Ice Cream

Makes approximately 3 cups

Ingredients:

Bananas

Slice the bananas then place in plastic bag and freeze. Run ice cream through juicer using the blank screen. If you don't have a juicer mix in blender. (It will not be as creamy but will still taste the great)

Ginger Apple Lemonade

Ingredients:

4 apples

1 lemon

1/4 inch ginger

Core apple, peel lemon and place all ingredients through a juicer. Serve with ice.

I can testify that all three of these recipes are really good!! I had two samples of the smoothie, three samples of the ice cream and two samples of the lemonade. Hope that everyone enjoys them.
Immanuel likes this.
#418 Old 07-20-2003, 03:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks kraftykraft!

I copy+paste'd your posts to the Raw Recipes thread in "Recipes and Food Discussion" too, that is meant to be our recipe thread. Sorry for the confusion with the two threads, but separating discussion from recipes might work out well in the end!
Immanuel likes this.
#419 Old 07-20-2003, 04:07 PM
Veggie Regular

i'm here to back Oatmeal up, word to your mutha! please keep recipes confined to the foods and recipes forum, yo!

Immanuel likes this.
#420 Old 07-20-2003, 07:06 PM
Veggie Regular

My bad - I don't really go into the raw foods thread and didn't know that there was more than one of them. I'll try to avoid making such silly mistakes in the future.
Immanuel likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page