Raw & Living Foods Thread - Page 13 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 506Likes

#361 Old 07-09-2003, 12:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Fluffernutter

Hi everyone

so far I am doing good eating mostly raw. Im not 100% but as many of you put it , the more I eat raw the better but 100% doesnt make me bad! The only thing I am eating is some chick peas at night,other than that I am all raw, feeling good and still losing weight (down 10 pounds in 2 weeks,yippee)

Wow! Great to hear you are doing well! Keep us posted! And don't forget to eat more once you reached your desired weight!

Quote:
I just wanted to post about that company oatmeal posted about justtomatoes.com

Thanks for your input!

Yes, it's true that dried fruit makes it a lot easier to overeat on fruit (which is not so easy otherwise).
Immanuel likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#362 Old 07-09-2003, 12:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by maxi

ive been on a high for days now!!

Yeah!! I'm happy for you!

Quote:
ive been going out all raw-with the exception of some cooked potato, rice and veg at dinner because my parents think i might die! lol

LOL!

Quote:
but theres not a bigger pick me up than a freshly squeezed apple and watermelon juice for breakfast!!

Keep us posted!
#363 Old 07-09-2003, 12:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by dakinirawk

I'm clearly undereducated about this so I'll pose this question.

Isnt there some recommendation that you need some raw and some cooked because you lose some nutrients in cooking and gain other things in doing so? I read in BECOMING VEGAN that you get different trace metals and such from the cooking process, so they recommend that you get a mixture of both.

Of course, as anyone reading this knows. You can hear all different things from all different places.

Any thoughts?

XOXO

Beth

OK here's the hard facts: calorie for calorie, raw foods contain more nutrients than cooked foods, period.

Cooking (and any other processing) tends to destroy nutrients, vitamins and minerals, and it certainly does not create any. I'm not aware of any trace metals cooking creates, except maybe iron if you are using a cast-iron pan.

Check out these two articles for more info on this:

http://www.vegsource.com/harris/raw_vs_cooked.htm

http://www.vegsource.com/harris/ten_categories.htm

You can get all what you need from a 100% raw diet. And of course you can get all what you need from a 100% cooked diet.

However, I partially disagree with maxi, I think it's easier to get your nutrients on raw, i.e. if you get your calories from unprocessed, nutrient-rich foods (fruits, vegetables, nuts) instead filling up on the empty calories of (cooked) starches and supplementing them with cooked vegetables (= vegetables that have been robbed of many of their nutrients).

Your raw diet should be varied of course. No problem, the grocery is full of fruit and vegetables, especially now If you eat a varied diet of raw fruits, vegetables and nuts, one that provides you with all the calories you need, it will be very hard to be deficient in something.

There IS this thing with cooking making the iron in spinach and the lycopene in tomatoes easier to absorb. I often compare this to the B12 issue in veganism. Meaning: it's really a non-issue. If you eat raw or largely raw, you get all the nutrients and cancer-fighting agents you need. IMO these things are NOT a sufficient reason to claim that a mixed (raw/cooked) diet is best.

Hope to help, please ask if you have more questions about this or any other raw topic!
Immanuel likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#364 Old 07-09-2003, 12:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by rainbowmoon

Woah! Totally NOT my intention! (to be extremist, separatist, or especially, elitist....) I was just asking why in the world raw vegans couldn't have tap water, and wondering about some of the things, and how extreme the diet is- I do know that there is no need to be excessively extreme, and I can tell, Oatmeal, that you are very sensible- ie., telling people to give into craving, ect.ect. You are not the raw foods Nazi!

Yeah one can view the raw diet is as extreme as one wants it to be, but I think that in reality, there is not a more conservative diet than the raw food diet! As little processing as possible, is there anything more natural than that?

I still have no idea about the water. I will say that I prefer to filter my water, but that's more because filtering makes it actually taste like water. I've read somewhere that home water filters don't do a great job at filtering out many things. But it does make our tap water taste better!

Quote:
Today I have a bit of a headache, and I am concerned about overdoing fat. Thank god for fitday, so I can tell how much fat I have consumed! Its hard to estimate. I just feel a little *shloopyblah* and I have a headache- but that could be anything, aye? I might have a small serving of soymilk today, just to finish it off so I don't waste it. I feel a little guilt, but I guess I shouldn't.

Yes, no guilt please! And I'm impressed with you!!!

Yes don't eat too much fat!

And I don't know what could be the reason for your headache. I have headache like once every two years, heh....

Please keep us updated about your progress!
Immanuel likes this.
#365 Old 07-09-2003, 01:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by kaleidoscopic

To any raw foodists.. do you have raw foodist friends and/or family who support you in this?

Don't know exactly what you mean with "support you in this". In what? Support how? Emotionally, practically......?

I don't really need any emotional support. As you will notice when browsing in this thread, I absolutely love eating this way. I know that it is good for me, and it makes me feel great. It's not like I'm running a marathon or something and need supporters to cheer me up and bring me through to the finish. On the contrary! I try to spread the word about raw foodism as good as I can, and support others (by answering questions, etc) if they are interested.

On the practical side, my diet requires very little food preparation, so there is not much to help me with. OK someone COULD peel my bananas instead of me, but I manage fine myself too I rarely "cook" and when I do, I do so because I want to play.

I do have one raw foodist friend, but we don't really support each other in anything. We both eat the same basic way. Occasionally one of us would do something like get fruit for both of us, of do a lot of juicing at once. But this is more a gesture and not at all a necessity.

Then again I'm not fanatic about raw foodism, and I don't exactly run around shouting that I'm a 100% raw food vegan. It's just that I much prefer to eat this way, when I have the choice (and I much prefer to have the choice of what I eat).

That's my perspective, other raw foodists may have different things to say.

p.s. Thinking about it however, some financial support from somebody would be nice though, hehe!
Immanuel likes this.
#366 Old 07-09-2003, 01:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Keegan

Do you accedentally ever eat too much? I think I did on accedent, well, sortof. I was really nauseus, but once I ate (a bunch) I felt better. Then I think I overdid it a bit at lunch time (was not sure of hunger, but bananas and apples are soo tasty I could not resist)

Sure, it's food like any other, you can overeat. Raw foods tend to be less calorie dense, so it's more difficult. I don't see anybody getting obese on raw fruits and vegetables.

I do occasionally pig out on food, usually some fruit I can't stop to eat - watermelon would be a likely candidate these days. Then afterwards I would feel that I overate. But hey it's fruit, so I know the feeling will go away soon, much sooner than when overeating on processed, heavier foods. I just wait until I get hungry again - which will take some time in this case. No worries, I let my body tell me when it's ready again. But the feeling of overeating is unpleasant, so I try to avoid it as good as I can. With time you develop a very good sense of what is enough and what is too little.

You should not be concerned overeating vegetables. If you are concerned with overeating fruit, then chew slowly, and even eat plenty of lettuce with it. This fills you up quickly. However, DON'T EAT TOO FEW CALORIES. If you feel constantly down, have lack of energy, or are hungry all the time, even fainting, or losing weight, then EAT!!! Your body is trying to send you a very clear signal, how could you ignore it?

Relax and your body will communicate with you. Think too much and you won't be able to hear your body's voice from all the clutter.

Immanuel likes this.
#367 Old 07-09-2003, 01:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Well unfortinatly I am going back to a part-ish raw diet tommorrow, simply because my parents can't get the idea in theier heads.

Hahaha! Sorry man, I'm not laughing about your situation, you just put it in a funny way!

Quote:
They think that I could eat all the calories from fruit I want, as much as I want (I can eat a LOT of fruit, were talking 1500 calories if I wanted in one sittting), and that without any fat grams, I am going to lose weight. She won't get into her brain that CALORIES are what maintain your body, not fat grams, but whatever, I ma tired of the fighting and crying...

Well don't be too concerned. Definitely please do not be so concerned that you cry!!!

A partially raw diet is also very healthy, and you're still young, you will have plenty of opportunities for doing what you want and going more raw if you want it!

You sound like an intelligent guy, you will find your way. Let me say that I did not know anywhere nearly as much about nutrition as you do when I was your age, and hey - even for me, it worked out pretty good in the end I think!

Just relax and enjoy your life. It's what it's there for

Keep it up!
Immanuel likes this.
#368 Old 07-09-2003, 05:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh you posted a lot while I was gone, yay but before I read it, I will have to ask another question, otherwise I'll forget (my brain tends to do that ).

I remember you saying something about eating fruit "the right way" at the beginning of this thread when I asked something about fruitarianism. And somehow today I thought "monodieting, what is that?" and I can't find valid info on the web that I either understand or like.

Do you have experience with monodieting? Or do you know anything about it? I only have a VERY vague idea of what it is, but would like to know more.

Is this too off topic? I just remembered that a fruitarian site said it's the best to eat fruit as a mono diet, and I didn't know where else to post it. Sorry if this is the wrong thread.

I just have so many questions, hehe. Thanks for answering everything, oatmeal, you're the best!!!
Immanuel likes this.
#369 Old 07-09-2003, 12:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Well unfortinatly I am going back to a part-ish raw diet tommorrow, simply because my parents can't get the idea in theier heads. They think that I could eat all the calories from fruit I want, as much as I want (I can eat a LOT of fruit, were talking 1500 calories if I wanted in one sittting), and that without any fat grams, I am going to lose weight. She won't get into her brain that CALORIES are what maintain your body, not fat grams, but whatever, I ma tired of the fighting and crying...

I absolutly understand what you're going through. I had wanted to become a vegetarian before while I ws living with my parents and it only lasted about a week because I was so damn sick of trying to convince them that it was ok. Also, anytime I tried to eat healthier, it was like pulling teeth with my mom because she was afraid I was a crazy health nut, who wasn't gonna get any vitamins. It's great becuase now that I don't live there, I can eat whatever I want. I still have problems when I go over to their house, but it's ok I guess. I say that if raw is what you want, then eat raw whenever you have a chance to eat on your own. Anytime that you are in charge of your own meals. This is better then it was for you before you even considered going partially raw, right? Hang in there
Immanuel likes this.
#370 Old 07-09-2003, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by VegAnna

And somehow today I thought "monodieting, what is that?" and I can't find valid info on the web that I either understand or like.

Do you have experience with monodieting? Or do you know anything about it? I only have a VERY vague idea of what it is, but would like to know more.

I actually asked Oat about this around the beginning of the thread. I dug up his post for ya!

Quote:
Originally posted by Oatmeal

Mono eating is basically that you only eat one food at once, until your body tells you to stop. Mono dieters claim that the moment the body had enough of the food, the taste and texture (that is, your perception of it) changes and you don't find the food appealing anymore.

I tried this a few times and did really experience similar things. I do it whenever I have too many bananas. So I wait until I'm hungry and I crave bananas and then I start to eat them. It feels like I could go on forever. Yet very suddenly (most of the time in the middle of a banana) I can't take even one more bite, it simply does not taste good anymore. It's not fullness, because my stomach isn't full yet. It's definitely that banana doesn't taste good anymore.

However, I rarely have a surplus in bananas, and I have not come aroud yet to try this with other foods too, so I only have limited experience with mono dieting. But to me it sounds like something that could make sense biologically.

Immanuel likes this.
#371 Old 07-09-2003, 04:16 PM

Look what I would in my area! It's encouraging, and exciting!

http://www.rawforlife.com/
Immanuel likes this.
#372 Old 07-09-2003, 04:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Ok you guys...I don't want to be a raw foodist.

My two day stint (LOL) is over. I am just feeling like its hard for to be so strict about my diet while I am still at home, my parents are giving me grief and I can't keep the house stocked in veggies!!

*What I will take with me from this short experience: A greater appreciation of raw foods and an intent to include more of them in my daily eating. I still intend to eat at least 50% if not 75% raw, because it is good, I just can't do 100% because its too much to keep up with.

I feel disappointed in myself, but its just too much for me right now. I am happy with 2 raw meals, 2 raw snacks, and one cooked meal a day.

lovenlight,

linz
Immanuel likes this.
#373 Old 07-09-2003, 05:32 PM
Jon
Veggie Regular

I've been dabbling around the fringes of raw food for a long time, dipping my toe in and picking up some good habits along the way, but never going permanent. I have a (potentially) funny habit when I buy a book (and CD's at least I used to), I tuck the receipt inside, its interesting to look back and see when you bought something or got into something. I bought a book called Raw Energy way back in Feb 1994, I find that shocking now that I haven't done more about it. It reassured me that my preferring raw veggies to cooked (and then tasteless veggies) was OK (personal faves brocolli, cauliflower and carrots). The other thing I've got into big time is sprouting, I love sprouted chickpeas (garbanzo beans) the best, but they're all great.

One of the most interesting sites on being raw I've found recently is by a Cambridge (UK) lady called Shazzie, the site is here. It features amongst other bits before and after pics of 10 people, and their stories.

Oatmeal, I'm stunned by your dedication to this thread. Wow! You mentioned that you used to be a larger person, would you be happy to give us an idea of how much things have changed?
Immanuel likes this.
#374 Old 07-09-2003, 08:56 PM
Veggie Regular

i made (almost) raw gazpacho the other day... i used a bit of bottled lemon juice though and I think that's been flash pasteurized or something. it was really yummy though!

i also took a raw food (un)cooking class in january. we made zucchini pasta with tomato sauce and meat (nut) balls. it was very inspiring and made me buy a crazy spiroolini thing to make vegetable pasta! but i'm still not at all a raw person, only about 10-15%... but I hope to be healthier and eat as much fruits and veggies as possible
Immanuel likes this.
#375 Old 07-09-2003, 09:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Oatmeal

Your post has been (anonymously!!) reported to both the vegan and the raw police!!

But officer! I was wearing my seat belt... *hangs head in shame*

Quote:

Yes they tend to eat very simply after a while. The general trend is absolutely what you observed, I am doing the same.

I think that is what I would do if I became a raw foodie (and what I already gravitate towards in my raw meals)

I am working toward incorporating more and more raw into my daily eating, though this totally depends on how often I make it to the co-op!
Immanuel likes this.
#376 Old 07-10-2003, 02:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by vegetable

i made (almost) raw gazpacho the other day... i used a bit of bottled lemon juice though and I think that's been flash pasteurized or something. it was really yummy though!

i also took a raw food (un)cooking class in january. we made zucchini pasta with tomato sauce and meat (nut) balls. it was very inspiring and made me buy a crazy spiroolini thing to make vegetable pasta! but i'm still not at all a raw person, only about 10-15%... but I hope to be healthier and eat as much fruits and veggies as possible

Hey, could you maybe post these recipes and possibly some other ones that you learned in the class on the raw and living foods recipe page? It's in the Recipes and Food Discussion forum. That would be great. I love Gazpacho and would love the recipe

I don't know how to post links, otherwise I would post it for you.
Immanuel likes this.
#377 Old 07-10-2003, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sunshinemelissa

I don't know how to post links, otherwise I would post it for you.

Raw and Living Foods Recipe Thread

Immanuel likes this.
#378 Old 07-10-2003, 11:18 AM
Veggie Regular

It's okay, thanks. BTw, I was not crying, it was kind of my mom doing the getting all stressed and yelling thing. It's stil good. I like both cooked and raw, so I'll just do both
Immanuel likes this.
#379 Old 07-10-2003, 11:21 AM
Veggie Regular

What happened with me was, my Dad was concerned about the raw diet and said, you know it would be ok if you ate mostly raw, please just eat a little protein.....but I said no! 100% raw I must be! So HE decided if I was gonna go 100% raw, he was gonna go 100% processed and cooked. Well, I couldn't stand to see him do that, so we decided that if I would eat a little cooked, he would eat a little raw. lol. Stuupid.

lovenlight,

linz
Immanuel likes this.
#380 Old 07-10-2003, 05:17 PM
Veggie Regular

LOL... That's great. I wish my parents would be like "if you didn't eat 100% raw I'll cut out beer", that would rule!
Immanuel likes this.
#381 Old 07-10-2003, 05:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I did 5 days raw. It was fun, and I felt really good. I ate oatmeal today, and I have been feeling weighted down a lot, I think.
Immanuel likes this.
#382 Old 07-10-2003, 09:20 PM

Hey Keegan, where are you from? I vaguely know someone by that name, and am wondering if it's you
Immanuel likes this.
#383 Old 07-11-2003, 12:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Treehugger..speaking of knowing people, I whent to Highschool in Winnetka and grew up in Wilmette. Small world huh?
Immanuel likes this.
#384 Old 07-11-2003, 03:47 PM

Small indeed! Did you go to New Trier?
Immanuel likes this.
#385 Old 07-11-2003, 08:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm living in panama city beach, al a florida.
Immanuel likes this.
#386 Old 07-12-2003, 06:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by VegAnna

I remember you saying something about eating fruit "the right way" at the beginning of this thread when I asked something about fruitarianism. And somehow today I thought "monodieting, what is that?" and I can't find valid info on the web that I either understand or like.

Thanks to Fafa for digging up my answer! It covers monodiet well. The idea of monodieting is simple. You eat one food until you don't want to eat it anymore, either because you are full or you don't find the food appealing anymore (it is said that this is how your body tries to tell you that it had enough).

I experiment with it every once in a while, I guess I do it every time I have a lot of a certain fruit at home, LOL. As I wrote in my answer, I DO really experience sometimes that I suddenly find the food unappealing from one bite to the next, even without feeling very full.

I do think that monodiet is somehow the ultimate diet, I can see how or ancestors put their bellies full with only one kind of food, as they were wandering around, from fruit tree to fruit tree to a vegetable plant, etc. On the other hand, we evolved to have brains and playfulness is our nature. So combining foods and coming up with recipes could also be seen as natural behaviour...! However I think we should still pay attention that we don't upset our digestion systems too much with the combinations.

Which brings me to what I mean with eating fruit the right way: the main point is that to use fruit to its full potential, it should be eaten alone, and on an empty stomach (the time of day when everyone's stomach is guaranteed to be empty is in the morning, hence the fruit-only breakfast I recommend to people).

If eaten this way, fruit will digest very quickly and give you lots of energy. If your stomach is already busy with heavier foods, the fruit will be combined with those, and it can neither digest, nor leave the stomach quickly.

Note that monodieting goes even further than that, because it would allow you to eat ONE type of fruit until you are full (no fruit salad, etc).

Quote:
Is this too off topic? I just remembered that a fruitarian site said it's the best to eat fruit as a mono diet, and I didn't know where else to post it. Sorry if this is the wrong thread.

Nope I think this thread can (should?) be the place for this type of stuff too. We don't have an active fruitarian thread (and I'm not aware of any fruitarians on VB), and I guess this is the closest topic to it

Quote:
I just have so many questions, hehe. Thanks for answering everything, oatmeal, you're the best!!!

Thank you so much and you're very welcome!! I'm happy if I can share my experiences! Post any questions you may have and I will try my best to answer them!
Immanuel likes this.
#387 Old 07-12-2003, 06:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by FafaFrappy

Look what I would in my area! It's encouraging, and exciting!

http://www.rawforlife.com/

That's so cool! And I don't know, I looked at the photos, and the people just look so happy and healthy!! (And I get this same impression at most other raw foodist sites too!)

Immanuel likes this.
#388 Old 07-12-2003, 06:30 PM
Veggie Regular

RAW ROCKS...........I just want to say that I feel so awsome lately. I never get headaches anymore and I used to ALL the time. I have much more energy, and I am happy. Like three people have asked me lately why I'm so happy all the time. (ok there are other reasons I am happy too) but I really think that eating more raw food has just made me feel so much better. My work scedual was insane this week and I wasn't even that tired. Normally after working that much I would be totally drained and feeling sick, but I wasn't!!!! I just felt like sharing this, sorry for the blabbering
Immanuel likes this.
#389 Old 07-12-2003, 06:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Linz - You did very well!!

It's completely wrong to feel disappointed. Remember, it's not about labels!! Your accomplishments ("a greater appreciation of raw foods and an intent to include more of them in my daily eating") are actually all I am hoping for when somebody tries raw for the first time.

You eyes to raw foodism have been opened, anything else is a process and it's your choice what your goals and pace will be.

Keep reading this thread for more info about raw foodism, if you like!

Thanks for your posts so far!
Immanuel likes this.
#390 Old 07-12-2003, 06:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks, Oatmeal, you're a doll.
Immanuel likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page