Raw & Living Foods Thread - Page 10 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 506Likes

#271 Old 06-30-2003, 12:14 PM
Veggie Regular

another question....

i love eggplant: can it be eaten raw? how does it need to be prepared?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#272 Old 06-30-2003, 04:23 PM
Veggie Regular

i hope i'm doing this right....

i'm trying to post a link to a post i wrote in the arts forum about last night's sex and the city episode and raw foodism...

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...&threadid=7406
#273 Old 06-30-2003, 06:44 PM
Veggie Regular

OhmyGod Oatmeal! Why the heck did I not read this thread before. It is so interesting. It took me about an hour to get through every word. It is really making me think about going raw, but slowly though. I've already moved pretty quickly into the vegan thing. I eat about 50% raw right now, which isn't bad considering I ate about 10% raw 3 months ago. You mentioned earlier in the thread that you can make bread and pizza crust. How do you do this raw? I can't picture this being done.
Immanuel likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#274 Old 06-30-2003, 09:04 PM
Veggie Regular

yeah and I sprouted the lintels, what do I do with them now? Do I wait to see greens?
Immanuel likes this.
#275 Old 07-01-2003, 12:43 AM
Veggie Regular

P.S. Now I get the whole [email protected]@[email protected] slut thing
Immanuel likes this.
#276 Old 07-01-2003, 02:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Question: How do you figure out the percentage of how raw you are? I constantly read "I'm 30% raw, 60% raw 95% raw" and I don't know how raw I am because all I know is that I have a banana, mango, orange, tomatos, and a bowl of cooked grain, rice milk and hot cereal... how raw does that make me?? (that was just a really random example by the way)
Immanuel likes this.
#277 Old 07-01-2003, 10:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Keegan

yeah and I sprouted the lintels, what do I do with them now? Do I wait to see greens?

I think you can eat sprouts at any time once the shoots show. They taste different the longer the sprouts are, I believe. I usually wait for the leaves but that's just my personal preference.

Rinse them off and mix them in with a salad. Nice and crunchy!

Or use them instead (or as well as) lettuce in a sandwich or wrap.

To store them, make sure they are dry (I usually wrap mine in kitchen towel for around 12 hours to soak up the moisture), then keep them in the fridge in a tub. I'm not sure how long they keep since I eat mine within a couple of days
Immanuel likes this.
#278 Old 07-01-2003, 11:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by sunshinemelissa

You mentioned earlier in the thread that you can make bread and pizza crust. How do you do this raw? I can't picture this being done.

I'm no expert here, but I believe bread is generally made with sprouts - most often sprouted wheat, but I've also seen quinoa, millet, amaranth and rye in my local HFS.

You can make it at home by blending (I think) the sprouts, forming the mixture into a loaf shape or slices and then putting it into a dehydrator or the oven on a very low temperature (below 101). I haven't tried this yet but I'm planning on it in the next day or two. I'll post here and let you know how it goes! I have some wheat sprouting and it looks about ready to be used. If it works I'll post more detailed instructions if anyone's interested.

You can also add bananas and dried fruit for a sweet loaf, or herbs and certain grated veggies for a savoury loaf, or just leave it plain.

As for pizza base I imagine you could do something similar. In the book 'Incredibly Delicious' it has a recipe for an entirely raw pizza. The base is made from various seeds (flax, sunflower), beet, corn, and herbs and once again is dehydrated.

Hope this helps
Immanuel likes this.
#279 Old 07-01-2003, 11:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for answering, Fafa I had a grapefruit before I ate cereal for breakfast, for lunch I had a big bowl of cherries, two plums, watermelon, and a banana. For dinner I had tofu and veggies and a side of fresh tomato. I thought it seemed like enough! It was strange though - the hunger hit me so suddenly and painfully!
Immanuel likes this.
#280 Old 07-01-2003, 11:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Bobsy, that sounds great. Thanks
Immanuel likes this.
#281 Old 07-01-2003, 11:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Also, you know waht's rel funny. The other day i had eaten almost all raw without realizing it and was worried because I thought I had eaten too much fruit. i thought the sugars would be bad. I had 2 smoothies with strawberries and bananas, a bowl of strawberries, a bowl of grapes, a nectarine, an apple, a peaanut butter sandwich with sliced strawberries (the peanut butter the kind where you can grind it at the store, nothing lse in it). I don't remember what else I ate, but I remember I was worried about too much fruit and no veggies. Now, i guess I won't worry so much about that That was before I read this thread.
Immanuel likes this.
#282 Old 07-01-2003, 01:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah is it okay to eat more fruit than veggies?

Is salt raw?
Immanuel likes this.
#283 Old 07-03-2003, 04:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by MisaLady

I'm concerned because I was told by one woman that when she was raw for a month, it made her PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) flare up, which is a big concern for me. However, I also heard that she ate mostly (I think it may have been 100%) fruit. I think that is where her problem was.

It's difficult to comment of course without knowing what she really did, or if the two things were really connected. "Raw" is a wide definition, you can be "raw smart", or "raw stupid". You can eat a very bad raw diet. Plus, going raw overnight can have all kinds of funky short-term effects on the body.

A 100% fruit diet is potentially very healthy, but it can be of course unhealthy too. As there is nothing in fruit that would lead to damage even when overconsumed, I think fruitarian problems are mostly deficiency problems. If you eat the same fruit day in day out, or you don't eat enough calories, then you'll get problems obviously because you will be deficient in several nutrients over time.

Luckily, our groceries are full with a wide selection of produce, especially now in summer, so we can eat a variety of fruits and vegetables . We only have to choose to do so.

Quote:
At any rate, I've suddenly been gripped by a big fear that I'd have to deal with that. I'm considering trying it, but making sure to have lots of veggies with my fruit (they're not so sugary).

Excellent, this is the thing I recommend to everybody who is interested in raw. Err, well no... I recommend it to everybody else actually too.

Namely, just to increase the intake of raw veggies and fruits, preferably as dramatically as possible (the increase can be gradual of course), and see what you like, what you don't like, explore the taste, benefits and energizing qualities of raw produce, without the pressure of labels or deadlines. That's the most important step. Vegetables and fruits are an awesome thing to eat, that's what counts, not labels.

Quote:
But, like I said before, I would love to "go raw."

You may not realize it, but you are already on your way! Enjoy every step you make, life's a journey, not a destination!
Immanuel likes this.
#284 Old 07-03-2003, 04:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by grain_girl

Oatmeal -

I've been reading this thread for a while now, and I just wanted to tell you how much I've enjoyed it. It's really inspired me to incorporate more raw food into my diet!

PS - This is coming from someone who loves her processed garbage! So please take this as a BIG compliment!

*bows* Thank you and thank you for reading it! It's great to hear it could inspire you to eat more raw!

It is a BIG compliment. Please stay, the thread will get even better, the more people contribute!
Immanuel likes this.
#285 Old 07-03-2003, 04:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh My God! Oatmeal, look at me: I ate 6 bananas for dinner I just couldn't stop, HAHAHA. That has never happened to me before. I blame it all on YOU.
Immanuel likes this.
#286 Old 07-03-2003, 05:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Kat New

thisis my first time on this thread...

Welcome!!!

Quote:

i just had a memory that when i was a kid i loved to munch on raw pasta while mum cooked the spaghetti...

never thought of doing it since!

until now... !!!

Quote:
just another post to reinforce what everyone else is saying... thanks so much for this thread and all your energy!

You're absolutely welcome. I'm soooo happy this thread took off, I cannot tell...!!!

Quote:
i have a lot on my plate right now and i feel very run down... i suffer from depression aswell and so i do find that my vegan diet can weigh me down a bit because i eat a lot of bread and cooked foods...

lately i've been trying to have more rice and tofu etc...

but... this has helped immensely! there is no way i could go totally raw now... i would love too, but i simply don't have the imte (or the energy at this stage!) to do it... i haven't read any books yet either so there is a lot more planning to be done...

Sorry to hear about your problems. I see what you mean with not being able to go raw 100%. That's a whole lifestyle change and few people are up for it even when they have no problems.

But it's the more awesome that you are looking for ways to increase your energy level. That's half of the battle! I was exactly in the same situation, ate a lot of bread and pasta and was healthy, but somehow I always knew that my natural energy level is much higher. It was not until I drastically increased my salad and fruit intake that I reached higher energy levels permanently.

Quote:
BUT you have really helped me because from now on i will eat more raw for more energy... it all make sense to me so i'm sure i'll feel better... i just need reminders so i'll be sure to revisit! there is lots of wisdom to be shared here!

Absolutely. For starters you could try the most simple raw "trick": only fruit for breakfast. Incidentally, this is also the most energy boosting thing you can do. Fruit in the morning is the key for high energy throughout the day, this is my personal experience.

Make a huge fruit salad, either fresh or the evening before. Bananas, apples, pears, peaches, melons, grapes whatever you like! You can even sprinkle on some dried fruit (raisins, etc), but no nuts. In the morning, drink all the water you care for, then dig in! When you're full, set it aside (or take it with you if you have to leave), because it's quite possible you will be hungry again. Then eat again. Don't be afraid, this wont go on forever. Eventually, your body will have enough. Don't worry about calories. You are tanking almost pure gas for your body, fast-burning fuel that you will use throughout the day. It's very hard to overeat fruit and breakfast is the foundation for the day.

This should give you plenty of energy, that can carry you through the day, even when you eat processed, nutritionally not as valuable foods later. No problem!

Quote:
once again, cheers for a wicked thread!

there is lots of wisdom to be shared here and i'm looking forward to having more energy... i definitely need it now!

Thanks again. Great to have you here!
Immanuel likes this.
#287 Old 07-03-2003, 05:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by lucycat

Half of what I ate yesterday was fresh fruit and I thought I ate a lot, but by 10 PM I was sooo hungry I was having stomach pains! Was I supposed to eat even more? (I ended up eating a bowl of cereal instead.)

Great lucycat! So good to see you eat more fresh fruit!

Big ups for Fafa who was exactly right, I couldn't have said it better (only worse probably, LOL).

If you can take it, you should eat fruit. I say if you can take it, because it can become too much if you're not used to a lot of fruit, so if you are craving something else (like cereal), then it's wiser to listen to your body in that particular situation, instead of forcing down more fruit.

And BTW, that's why I'm always stressing the amounts you have to eat. You thought you ate a lot, but you ate too little. Isn't it funny how the conscious brain tries to exert power over the digestive system, telling it "I think you had now enough"

Quote:
Originally posted by lucycat

I thought it seemed like enough! It was strange though - the hunger hit me so suddenly and painfully!

I know exactly what you mean with sudden, painful hunger! That's what I call "after fruit hunger" . As Fafa said, fruit is digested very fast, and burns very clean, plus it jumpstarts your metabolism. If has no slow release energy (complex carbs), only fast acting energy (simple sugars). When there is no more left, your body lets you know unmistakably.

I love that because it shows that natural eating is a very simple thing. Whenever I say that I listen to my body, I don't mean subtle self-observations or lengthy mind-body dialogues . I mean exactly things like "after fruit hunger". Whenever I get knocked down by it, I know it's time to eat, without thinking about how much I already ate. It's simple and I like simple things

I never know when I get hungry again, so I usually don't leave the house without a few bananas.
Immanuel likes this.
#288 Old 07-03-2003, 06:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobsy

Oatmeal, you were right about the energy! Do you ever stop?!

Only when I get distracted!

(The person responsible for the current lag time should know exactly who she is - and I know she reads this thread...! )

Quote:
Wow! Well, I have you to thank for my new found mango infatuation My greengrocer loves me!

LOL! Yeah mango season kicked in, hurray!

That's right! We're fruit snobs and the greengrocer is to us what the wine importer is for others!

Quote:
I'm definitely interested in raw foodism now. I think I eat more raw than average anyway (30-40%) and I'll be looking into the diet. I'm afraid I'm a bit of a fact monster so I'll be doing lots of reading before making any radical changes Though you're a great advert since you seem so full of life and energy! I have upped my intake of fruit and I feel more alert, not to mention happier since my sweet tooth is getting its way! I'm sleeping less too.

Cool! And *blush*...

We can use a fact monster here! I find it very awesome how you research raw foodism. Great posts so far! (And remember you can make the changes as fast or as slowly as you want...)

Yes, we have a natural sweet tooth, and it is exactly fruit we developed it for. Interestingly I never had a big sweet tooth before, but now that I'm raw, I eat sweet almost the whole day and I love it!

Quote:
I'm still feeling my way with the sprouting. Lentils, mung beans and little radish seem to come out fine every time. Alfalfa is hit and miss. I had to throw away a batch today because they smelled weird and the roots were covered with sticky, pink stuff (that's a technical description ) Same with millet and quinoa. I've had one good batch of quinoa - the others smelled unpleasant. I cleaned the trays carefully, and water twice daily. I'm paying more attention to drainage now, but it could also be the weather - I read that humidity can cause mould. I'm guessing that's what it is?! If you have any ideas Oatmeal, I'd be glad to hear them

Yeah quinoa gets stinky very fast if you leave it to grow... But I think it is meant to be sprouted very briefly only, as short as 5-6 hours?? The tails should be barely recognizable. See my post about sprouting. Maybe you just can't reasonably sprout them to their green stage, if that is your goal.

I have not tried alfalfa yet, but I will soon I think because I ate some (well, two whole boxes) a few days ago (actually 2 days ago) and I loved them!

It can be mold. My sprouting post was very simplistic BTW. Sproutpeople actually warn that this can happen, if there is insufficient air circulation. With enough air, mold does not develop. On their site they sell the devices they use for sprouting, which have great ventillation. The catch: you have to rinse more often because the seeds dry out much sooner.

Quote:
I'll echo the sentiments expressed already - thanks so much for the time and effort you're putting into this thread. Your enthusiasm really shines through!

Oooh, thank you *face gets red*. Yes, I'm a bit enthusiastic, huh? *looks down*

But I'm happy to have found out about raw foodism, and I like it so much that I want to help others to find it for themselves too! I enjoy this thread and I enjoy eating the tasty fruits and veggies all day, LOL!

If you find out more about sprouting or anything else, please post!
Immanuel likes this.
#289 Old 07-03-2003, 06:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Katieq

another question....

i love eggplant: can it be eaten raw? how does it need to be prepared?

I'm sure it can be eaten raw, but I just realized that I have not tried it yet and I don't know how it tastes. You know what? I'm going to try it right tomorrow and come back to the thread and post about it.

Excellent - now I have another reason to go to the grocery and hang out in the produce section...
Immanuel likes this.
#290 Old 07-03-2003, 07:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Katieq

i hope i'm doing this right....

i'm trying to post a link to a post i wrote in the arts forum about last night's sex and the city episode and raw foodism...

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...&threadid=7406

LOL!

That is actually just fine because on that day, I made a joke about Sex And The City, so I guess we're even!!

Seriously, I understand your frustration. I assume they really meant to make fun of the trendiness of raw/vegan, as I don't think they really knew enough about the idea of raw foodism to make fun of it (they really should have asked Oatmeal!). Difficult to say if it was damaging of helpful, probably neither, ...

I could also quote Gandhi, "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." Heh. Which would mean that raw foodism at least isn't ignored anymore... I've yet to be attacked on the street though, lol!
Immanuel likes this.
#291 Old 07-03-2003, 08:21 AM
Veggie Regular

I wonder what your potassium level would be if you ever got it checked, Oatmeal

I thought eggplant was supposed to be really bitter uncooked?
Immanuel likes this.
#292 Old 07-03-2003, 11:39 AM
Veggie Regular

yesterday i ate about 90% raw and holy........I had sooooo much energy. My sister was laughing at me becasue I was so hyper and cleaning like a mad woman. It was great
Immanuel likes this.
#293 Old 07-03-2003, 11:41 AM
Veggie Regular

i completely second oatmeal's posts above about fruit salad for breakfast. i've been doing it every day for the past week, and it's awesome. much more filling than you'd expect, and totally satisfying. usually i can only eat half of what i make (about a two-cup tupperware thing filled with fresh grapes, strawberries, peaches, or cherries), but then after about an hour or two i'll eat the other half. try it!
Immanuel likes this.
#294 Old 07-03-2003, 12:00 PM
Veggie Regular

So if I ate all fruit, even if I had to eat like every 1-2 hours, that's normal for a raw-ist?
Immanuel likes this.
#295 Old 07-03-2003, 12:04 PM
Veggie Regular

how do I convince my parents it's okay if I ate like maybe 85% raw (still eating tofu, soymilk, nutritonal yeast and beans for protien, and occasional other non-raw stuff jsut in case)?
Immanuel likes this.
#296 Old 07-03-2003, 12:45 PM
Veggie Regular

look up raw resources on the web or in bookstores...early on in this thread there are a ton of links. back up your arguments with facts and information.
Immanuel likes this.
#297 Old 07-03-2003, 01:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi people

One of the appeals of raw food to me is simplicity and uncomplicated flavors. A favorite dinner of mine is a plate of cut-up tomatoes, cukes, an avocado, green peppers, or whatever I have around, with nothing but a little salt and a big glass of water (and sometimes a little cheese on the side -- I'm not a raw foodie or a vegan -- and I love me some good cheese)

My interest in raw foods has led me to look at a few raw foods recipe books. It's been a while since, but it seems like there were an awful lot of recipes for really complicated sounding dishes, and substitutes.

Do practicing raw foodists tend to make these kinds of complicated dishes on a regular basis? or use them for experimentation or special occasions only? Of course I know everyone is different -- just looking for a general trend. The 2-3 raw foodies I know in person tended towards gigantic salads and piles of fruit, not raw pizza or lasagne or the other imitations I have seen in the recipe books...

yours curiously, borealis
Immanuel likes this.
#298 Old 07-03-2003, 01:48 PM
Beginner

I've found that a smoothie will keep me filled for hours whereas the same amount of raw, whole fruit will make me hungry quickly. I'm not sure why.

My smoothie this morning included 1 orange, 2 bananas, 1 red delicious apple, and 1 pear. I keep the skins of the apple and pear on, but wash them really well. I also usually add ice, unless I've frozen my bananas the night before.

I've also found that if I put an orange in the bottom of the blender, I have to add less or no liquid. (I like them really thick, almost like a shake.)
Immanuel likes this.
#299 Old 07-03-2003, 01:58 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally posted by borealis

My interest in raw foods has led me to look at a few raw foods recipe books. It's been a while since, but it seems like there were an awful lot of recipes for really complicated sounding dishes, and substitutes.

Do practicing raw foodists tend to make these kinds of complicated dishes on a regular basis? or use them for experimentation or special occasions only? Of course I know everyone is different -- just looking for a general trend. The 2-3 raw foodies I know in person tended towards gigantic salads and piles of fruit, not raw pizza or lasagne or the other imitations I have seen in the recipe books...

I've noticed, from posts and articles and such at all the tons and tons of raw food sites I've gone to recently (I'm a fanatic when it comes to research) that most raw fooders eventually end up prefering simple foods, like salads, smoothies , etc, and an even greater number prefer whole foods.

Most recipes are reserved for once-in-a-while and special occasions. The main exception to this is people who are the only one in their home who eat this way. Most of them still use a lot of recipes. The reason for this is that they don't want to feel tempted or left out and also, you get less hassling from family/etc. if your food looks more like "regular" food than just a plate of whole fruits or veggies. An even bigger plus is that some of these things look really delicious, therby tempting the non-raw-fooders to try the raw food.

That's what I've gleamed from the net, anyway. I don't know any "Real Life" raw fooders.
Immanuel likes this.
#300 Old 07-03-2003, 02:09 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally posted by Keegan

how do I convince my parents it's okay if I ate like maybe 85% raw (still eating tofu, soymilk, nutritonal yeast and beans for protien, and occasional other non-raw stuff jsut in case)?

Keegan,

Given your background, what would probably work best with your parents is to total up the calories and nutrients that you're getting in a day. Make sure you show them that you're getting enough fat and protein. This shouldn't be hard, especially if you eat a lot of avocado, tofu, and such. What you're going to have to do is prove to them that this isn't going to be detrimental to your health. If you agree to log all your food for a week and show them the nutritional breakdown, it will be easier to convince them.

I'm sure you know, but if you don't... www.fitday.com should help out with the totalling and such.

I'd also reccommend that show them that you're getting a lot of healthy foods. Lots of fruits and vegetables. Mention to them that this helps a lot of people rebuild their health, that all the vitamins are good for you, and that you're trying to be nice to your body and feed it a good amount of nutritious food.

Also, remind them that 15-20% of your intake will still be cooked.

One other thing, I would not say anything such as "cooked food is toxic and will make me fat" or any such thing. That's almost a guaranteed "No, you can't do this."

Check out raw food books from the library for them to read. Print things up off of the net. Inform your parents. The more informed they are, the less worried they will be.

HTH

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page