VeggieBoards banner

Fruitarian?

4K views 31 replies 12 participants last post by  yeowzaluv 
#1 ·
Does anyone know the maximum proportion of fruit in the diet that's healthy? That is, how much fruit can I eat and not have health problems, and what would those problems be? (wondering - too much sugar? not enough protein?)

#2 ·
I think 5-10 portions is a good rule to stick by, though you could probably do up to 12 at the most. The sugar in fruit is good for you, but if you have too much fruit, you won't have room in your body for the foods that provide other needed nutrients.

I'm not sure what else fruitarians eat. What else is in your diet? What's your main source of protein and grains?

#3 ·
The rationale for and the benefits of fruitarianism have scientific basis.

I know that is not what you want to hear, but since you posted to a public board you are going to get opinions.

However, don't take my word for it.

Jack Norris, a vegan and a registered dietician has a site called veganhealth.org

You can read this short article to learn what all of the nutrients you need are:

http://www.veganhealth.org/shv/

You can then use this site to see if various fruits you have access to have those nutrients in the quantities you need:

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

Good Luck

#4 ·
I'm sorry but I don't understand what this part of your post means:

Quote:
The rationale for and the benefits of fruitarianism have scientific basis.

I know that is not what you want to hear, but since you posted to a public board you are going to get opinions.
What isn't what I want to hear, in your opinion?

#8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludi View Post

Raw foodists and fruitarians I have met ( I was one myself for 1 year when I was teenager ) do not want to hear that the reasons for doing those regimes are not based on scientific studies, in fact those reasons contradict known science, and that the benefits claimed for those regimes have not been established through scientific studies.

#9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by beforewisdom View Post

Raw foodists and fruitarians I have met ( I was one myself for 1 year when I was teenager ) do not want to hear that the reasons for doing those regimes are not based on scientific studies, in fact those reasons contradict known science, and that the benefits claimed for those regimes have not been established through scientific studies.
Well, there's the confusion. You said this:

" The rationale for and the benefits of fruitarianism have scientific basis."

I guess you forgot a word?

#22 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludi View Post

I think he meant what followed the sentence was not going to be what you want to hear.... Ie., look for yourself, trying to build a diet out of fruits that provide nutrients you need....

(If only it were so easy -- protein isn't just protein, but has several components that combine to make a "complete protein". You also need to know that beta carotene is used by your body to make vitamin A -- the vitamin A is not going to be in the fruit as "vitamin A". I am sure there's more I don't know about yet... )

#23 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkwenkwezi View Post

i may be wrong on this, but isn't it the fruitarian belief that protein is actually bad for you. or at least the processing your body needs to do to it, which leads to cellular degeneration - aging. thus the reason for eating only fruit.
I've seen that..... but that's not the only reason people would become fruitarian. A lot of people do not believe in killing any form of life, including plants, and youu can eat fruit without hurting the plant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.