Raw Diet Questions. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-12-2005, 08:51 AM
Veggie Regular

1. Doesn't eating raw foods in excess produce a lot of Gas ?

2. I live in Canada where preservation was/is a tradition. With a long winter, the harvest season is very limited. Even today off season fresh foods can be very expensive. What are he raw alternatives ?

3. Doesn't eating fresh veggies alone make one feel hungry soon ?

Vijay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-13-2005, 09:45 AM
Veggie Regular

I have been having a raw diet the last few days and been enjoying it. Specially mung beans sprouts, they are so easy to make. It also seems satisfying and frugal. However, would still appreciate answers/opinions in regards to my questions in the post above.

Thanks.

Vijay
#3 Old 01-13-2005, 09:58 AM
Veggie Regular

1. i think eating anything in excess can lead to digestive trouble. But, eating raw exclusively doesn't seem to.

2. freezing is considered appropriate and acceptable.

3. i find that if i include some form of fat with every meal, then i feel more full. So, olives or olive oil, avocado, coconut oil, etc, are all great with fresh veggies and fruits and help you stay fuller, longer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-13-2005, 10:35 AM

I've been thinking about this raw diet. I'd love to see a couple of days worth of food from someone who eats raw most of the time. For some reason, I'm picturing mostly munching on fruits and veggies. Can you make like casseroles and stuff? What about grains? Nuts? Will someone please post what a typical couple of days consists of. Thanks!
#5 Old 01-13-2005, 01:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRuthieB View Post

I've been thinking about this raw diet. I'd love to see a couple of days worth of food from someone who eats raw most of the time. For some reason, I'm picturing mostly munching on fruits and veggies. Can you make like casseroles and stuff? What about grains? Nuts? Will someone please post what a typical couple of days consists of. Thanks!

I was totally raw for a few weeks, and here is one day out of my journal:

7.00 smoothie of 3 bananas + the juice of 2 navel oranges

10.20 apple

11.00 banana

12.30 salad of spinach, green & red pepper, scallions, tomato, cucumber & avocado w/ lime juice & flax seed oil for dressing

3.00 4 medjool dates

6.30 2 bowls marinated kale; 2 falafel flats; guacamole; cumin-flax crackers

For smoothies usually I would use raw almond milk that I'd make each week. The falafel flats were made of sprouted chickpeas mixed w/ other stuff (which I forget right now) and dehydrated. The cumin-flax crackers were also dehydrated.

A really great book about going raw is Living Cuisine by Renee Loux Underkoffler. There are lots of casserole, soup, dessert and sushi recipes. She also provides some basic nutritional info. Even if you're only interested in adding more raw to your diet, not going totally raw, I would recommend this book. Beautiful recipes using simple foods with great flavor. (Note: She does lightly steam some things, which some rawists say uh-uh to.)
#6 Old 01-13-2005, 01:33 PM

Carol Alt was on one of the news shows the other night and is a raw foodist. She explained what cooking does versus consuming food raw and it made sense. I'm going to try and eat more raw foods. Won't go totally raw, but I'm interested in new recipes that are raw. Thanks qetta.
#7 Old 01-13-2005, 01:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Nuts I purchased raw and soaked before eating, which makes them really yummy. Grains can be soaked/sprouted. My favorite recipe (from the book noted above) was a wild rice pilaf. I soaked & rince & soaked & rince wild rice until it became soft and sort of split open, and then added to it some chopped carrots, celery, avocado, and tomato, and added parsley, and marinated it all in a dressing of nama shoyu, flax seed oil, olive oil and agave nectar. Soooo delicious.
#8 Old 01-13-2005, 01:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Carol Alt was on one of the news shows the other night and is a raw foodist. She explained what cooking does versus consuming food raw and it made sense. I'm going to try and eat more raw foods. Won't go totally raw, but I'm interested in new recipes that are raw. Thanks qetta.

I've heard she's big into raw. I think she does raw milk and meat. Ew!

You're welcome. Going totally raw was too hard for me. I didn't have enough motivation to stay raw - especially with all the great (cooked) vegan options popping up in my area for dining out. But I do still like to make raw recipes and I'm trying to keep my raw intake really high. I did feel really good eating only raw, it was just hard for me to stick with it.
#9 Old 01-13-2005, 02:05 PM
Veggie Regular

i was wondring why people go raw. ... so its becaus it's healthier?
#10 Old 01-13-2005, 03:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I think just just going veg*n, raw diet has the potential of makeing one healthier if it is done right. I don't know enough to go raw but I'd like to increase the portion of raw food in my diet.

BTW, does anyone happen to know whether canned coconut milk is raw? I like to thin out coconut milk and drink in the place of cow and soy milk.
#11 Old 01-13-2005, 06:41 PM
Veggie Regular

canned is not raw.
#12 Old 01-13-2005, 08:48 PM

Raw is unprocessed, uncooked, etc? Right?
#13 Old 01-13-2005, 09:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Raw is unprocessed, uncooked, etc? Right?

Yes, exactly. The place where many aren't truly informed is what exactly happens to foods that appear to be "RAW" but have been processed and cooked/steamed etc. before reaching the store or market where you buy the items.

Many foods that people consider raw aren't. And yes, quetta, steaming is*not* raw or living...
#14 Old 01-14-2005, 08:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxy View Post

Many foods that people consider raw aren't. And yes, quetta, steaming is*not* raw or living...

Right. I'd just like to point out that with some things, esp. cruciferous vegetables, lightly steaming helps break down the cellular walls, allowing your body access to more nutrients. So you may lose some enzymes when you lightly steam (and I'm talking just a minute or two in not-boiling water), but you'll be getting more nutrients in the long run. So if your intent in going raw is to get the maximum nutrients out of something, lightly steaming cruciferous veggies (broccoli, kale, etc.) may be an option to consider.
#15 Old 01-14-2005, 11:59 AM
Veggie Regular

What is the opinion/place of Tofu and other Soy products in a raw diet ?

Thanks.

Vijay
#16 Old 01-14-2005, 12:57 PM

Oh, good question. I was thinking the same thing just a minute ago.
#17 Old 01-14-2005, 01:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvijay View Post

What is the opinion/place of Tofu and other Soy products in a raw diet ?

Thanks.

Vijay

Tofu and other soy products are not raw, so are not a part of a 100% raw diet.
#18 Old 01-14-2005, 01:39 PM

Awww..
#19 Old 01-14-2005, 09:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Can't you buy raw soybeans and soak them and eat them raw? Same with raw grains. I think most things in a vegan diet can be eaten raw. You can make raw soymilk too. And raw hummus, black bean dip, "breads", etc.
#20 Old 01-14-2005, 10:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Certain beans cannot be eaten raw (like soy);to do so is toxic and your body cannot break down and use the nutrients effectively.

It is possible to make raw hummus and many other sprouted foods.
#21 Old 01-14-2005, 11:57 PM
Veggie Regular

So, it is physically possible to eat them, you just wouldn't be doing your body a favor. . I know I could never give up my soy.
#22 Old 01-15-2005, 05:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountessKerouac View Post

So, it is physically possible to eat them, you just wouldn't be doing your body a favor. . I know I could never give up my soy.

I KNEW I should have changed the "cannot" to "SHOULD NOT"

Yes, it is physically possible to eat anything that can be put in the mouth..................including glass, feces, motor oil and other harmful, indigestibles..................................... .................................................. .................................that doesn't mean it is a good idea to do so .
#23 Old 01-15-2005, 08:13 AM
Veggie Regular

here's what my raw days look like:

breakfast: frozen berries, orange juice, coconut oil, and macademia nut cream (macademia nuts, water, agave nectar).

snack: nuts (usually walnuts) and an apple (also, raw cheese, since that's officially a raw food, included in the raw food diet, but not the raw vegan diet)

lunch: big salad with different lettuces, different root veggies, tomatoes, avocado, olives, and various sprouts (which can include sprouted beans, seeds, and grains). dressing of olive oil and sea salt.

snack: raw bean dip (made from some form of bean, sprouted, and then made into a dip--usually hummus) with cut veggies and olive oil.

dinner: i had the spicy carrot and coconut cream soup that i posted in the frugal forum for dinner with a mixed green salad with coconut shavings and citrus fruit and a spicy red pepper--with home made citris vinegarette dressing (grapefruit juice, wet stone grownd mustard, minced garlic, minced onion, salt, pepper, olive oil, and white balsalmic vinegar).

snack: orange sorbet made with almond cream

there are ways to sprount grains, but raw diets are often rather 'grain free.'
#24 Old 01-15-2005, 08:14 AM
Veggie Regular

living without soy is way easy, too, btw. easier than living with soy, actually.
#25 Old 01-15-2005, 08:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post

dinner: i had the spicy carrot and coconut cream soup

mmmmmm
#26 Old 01-16-2005, 12:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Haha, I was only teasing Foxy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page