Fruitarian, vegan, detox? Anyone else fruitarian/ experiences/advice? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes
Closed Thread

#1 Old 06-09-2016, 08:59 AM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Fruitarian, vegan, detox? Anyone else fruitarian/ experiences/advice?

I never thought I would be doing this. I was always the vegan that was like "oh my god I could never do raw vegan o_O" but after coming across Dr. Morse on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0Z...PchbXSe2o-aZdA and him explaining how he has helped ALS patients talk again, and gotten people out of wheelchairs on an all fruit, berries, and melons diet, things started to click into place. I've watched a good 75% of his videos, they are long and a bit redundant, but overtime, it made more and more sense.

Basically he goes over how most if not all ailments can be cured by getting the body into an alkaline state. The SAD diet food is very acidic, and many vegan food also is as well, rice, beans, unsprouted grains, etc (which I tended to eat a lot of + oils, a lot of fat and processed vegan junk food etc). Most fruits are alkalizing to the body and he argues we designed to best process fruit. He argues we are "frugivores." and we have a lymphatic system that tries to clean itself (which the oliopathic doctors don't fully understand) but it can't clean itself when it's having to focus on digesting high energy requirement foods, foods that we weren't designed to eat (hence why beans often give us gas) and foods that add plaque (from animal protein, assuming other acid proteins as well like beans, tofu etc) and mucus (from starches, rice, pasta, etc) to the body.

I've dealt with painful stomach issues my whole life and horrible acne, so I'm thinking that it's not going to get any better by continuing to eat the things over and over that I have been, so something else is worth a try.

I started transitioning to all fruit about a month ago, and I'm just starting to be all fruit now. I've had really uncomfortable gas, constipation, and diarrhea episodes during the transition. (One of them was my fault as dumb me thought it would be okay to drink a whole bottle of pear juice) I'm hoping it's just the detox, considering my intestines and stomach were the areas that gave me trouble all my life it wouldn't surprise me, but I'm not really sure. I'm watching the foods I combine as well as watching what I eat water wise. (Eat juicy fruits first, don't combine sweet and acid fruits.) I know when I first switched to the vegan diet I had really bad gas and bloating discomfort for awhile.

Overall mentally and energy wise I feel quite good, except in the times I have abdominal discomfort. I make sure to have a variety of fruit to eat, watermelom, honey dew, grapefruit, mandarins, mangoes, bananas, grapes, and ones high in iron as well like dates and figs. I have frozen avocados ready whenever I feel like I should eat one, some people say like half of one a day or so, to keep my fat up.

My kidneys are filtering though which is GREAT! It totally confused me when I first started seeing strings and sediment in my urine, but this is actually a good thing, as it means your body is cleaning out cellular waste.

In addition I'm also on some of Dr. Morse's herbs which help aid in detoxifying the body. This also might attribute to some of my painful gas and bowel problems that got somewhat worse recently as I just started taking these a week ago. I'm just hoping that eventually my issues will clear up, I'll be acne free and I won't have stomach problems. One thing I did notice is on that the days during my transition where I'd eat all fruit, I had no underarm body odor! none! Craziness, but it just adds to show that this fruit is so clean and appropriate for the body. When I would eat noodle dishes or burritos, my body odor came right back.

Wondering if anyone else is fruitarian, mostly fruitarian or follows something similar to 80/10/10 and your experiences. Just like when I first went vegan, there wasn't a whole lot of support (other than online) around me, and most people thought I was crazy and would be unhealthy, even more so now now that I'm only doing fruit, so I'm having to often piece things together on my own. Thanks!

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy

Last edited by 4everaspirit; 06-09-2016 at 09:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-09-2016, 09:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everaspirit View Post
I never thought I would be doing this. I was always the vegan that was like "oh my god I could never do raw vegan o_O" but after coming across Dr. Morse on youtube and him explaining how he has helped ALS patients talk again, and gotten people out of wheelchairs on an all fruit, berries, and melons diet, things started to click into place. I've watched a good 75% of his videos, they are long and a bit redundant, but overtime, it made more and more sense.
You've watched the videos over and over, even when you were skeptical, and now you believe him? Sounds like you were trying to convince yourself, despite your own better judgement.

Quote:
Basically he goes over how most if not all ailments can be cured by getting the body into an alkaline state. The SAD diet food is very acidic, and many vegan food also is as well, rice, beans, unsprouted grains, etc (which I tended to eat a lot of + oils, a lot of fat and processed vegan junk food etc). Most fruits are alkalizing to the body and he argues we designed to best process fruit. He argues we are "frugivores." and we have a lymphatic system that tries to clean itself (which the oliopathic doctors don't fully understand) but it can't clean itself when it's having to focus on digesting high energy requirement foods, foods that we weren't designed to eat (hence why beans often give us gas) and foods that add plaque (from animal protein, assuming other acid proteins as well like beans, tofu etc) and mucus (from starches, rice, pasta, etc) to the body.
Anyone that claims that if you primarily eat one particular type of food is wrong. Completely wrong. It's not healthy, and humans have not evolved to primarily eat fruit. Go to a doctor if you're having issues with your system.

Quote:
My kidneys are filtering though which is GREAT! It totally confused me when I first started seeing strings and sediment in my urine, but this is actually a good thing, as it means your body is cleaning out cellular waste.
This is not normal. You need to see a doctor. A real doctor. Don't scour the internet for some statement that says exactly what you want to hear and ignore all of the warning signs. Your urine should be clear, not cloudy, no "strings", no "sediment". Seeing "strings" is NOT your kidneys "filtering", it's a sign of a potential health problem.

Go to a real doctor.
#3 Old 06-09-2016, 01:10 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Hey there, we will have to agree to disagree. Understandably, it would be very hard for someone to understand this way of eating when they have not been exposed to many if any others like this, when we are bombarded in society with the idea that we need certain foods, and how you haven't seen and heard as much as I have on the lifestyle. I still have friends that think meat is essential to stay healthy and that I'm making a mistake. Once you think you know everything, you will stop learning.

I was skeptical at first, mainly because I didn't understand much about my own body myself, but I try to keep an open mind to everything. People used to think smoking was healthy and was touted at the time. We'd be foolish to think that we have health and nutrition figured out when America is dealing with an obesity epidemic with heart disease being of the number one killers, all while allowing Mcdonald's in hospitals. I wasn't trying to convince myself, I was trying to understand a piece of the puzzle to health I may have been missing, as I mentioned I never thought or wanted to go raw, but what he said resonated with the issues I dealt with so strongly that many of his videos made me cry. It made sense to me when explained. A lot of what you told me was just that you are wrong, wrong, wrong, go see a doctor. Instead of actually saying why. Maybe look into for yourself some of the stuff I'm actually saying like kidney filtration, as it's not just him saying it.

I've also been to several doctors, they do nothing but treat much of the symptoms, not the cause. They are taught the medical model, which as I've explained, do not take into account the lymphatic system of the body, and I knew this before I even watched this Dr. They also kept me sick a year ago with no answer, until I finally cured myself of depression with vitamin D.

I could make much more arguments explaining how this way of eating is cleansing to the system, but I wanted to keep it relatively short and was more looking for anybody who had advice or went through their own detox. People who are interested in the why and how can go watch videos on their own or other youtubers who follow the fruitarian lifestyle (Mango Island Mama, fruit living, sweet natural living, and to a lesser extent freelee, to name a few)

Have a good day.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy

Last edited by 4everaspirit; 06-09-2016 at 01:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-09-2016, 01:41 PM
Veggie Regular

"gotten people out of wheelchairs on an all fruit, berries, and melons diet". LOL

You're having problems with a very restrictive diet, but still want no advice other than what you are doing is healthy... Good luck with that. Perhaps you feel bloated because fruit is very high in water content, and the amount you need to eat to get enough calories is a lot.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

Last edited by jessandreia; 06-09-2016 at 01:44 PM.
#5 Old 06-09-2016, 02:34 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Hi 4ever, good to "see" you back!
#6 Old 06-09-2016, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

Good to see you!
I don't have anything to say about the diet. I question going from what you call a SAD vegan diet to the far other side though, and I definitely disagree about the foods you say we aren't "designed" to eat. What about people who don't live in tropical climates? In NE OH we aren't 'meant' to eat fresh produce year round! Then theres the transportation needed, and for someone I know who's just as concerned about environmental impact of foods, that surprises me.
That said, we certainly have members who swear by raw foods.

You'll get far better comments in the Raw forum. How about I move this thread?
#7 Old 06-09-2016, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

How about that Dr Michael Greger??
#8 Old 06-09-2016, 04:23 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Good to see you!
I don't have anything to say about the diet. I question going from what you call a SAD vegan diet to the far other side though, and I definitely disagree about the foods you say we aren't "designed" to eat. What about people who don't live in tropical climates? In NE OH we aren't 'meant' to eat fresh produce year round! Then theres the transportation needed, and for someone I know who's just as concerned about environmental impact of foods, that surprises me.
That said, we certainly have members who swear by raw foods.

You'll get far better comments in the Raw forum. How about I move this thread?
Yep, I'm back, I never truly forget or leave this forum.

From what I'm understanding. Humans are supposed to be tropical species. Also most people tend to prefer fruit over raw veggies. He makes the argument that our intestines aren't fully like a herbivores in length and are designed to assimilate fruit the best. We are more closest to the primates and they eat mostly fruit. Different species don't delve into hard studies on nutrition and calorie concerns with food, because they eat what tastes good and is appealing to them. On another side, oats, rice, noodles, wheat, beans don't taste good to us plain, and we have to add the "sugar" to it which our body runs on. He suggests that vegetables are for the herbivores, not that we "can't" eat some vegetables, but that they really don't do much for us and our stomach has to "grind" on them.

Last edited by 4everaspirit; 06-09-2016 at 04:40 PM.
#9 Old 06-09-2016, 04:28 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessandreia View Post
"gotten people out of wheelchairs on an all fruit, berries, and melons diet". LOL

You're having problems with a very restrictive diet, but still want no advice other than what you are doing is healthy... Good luck with that. Perhaps you feel bloated because fruit is very high in water content, and the amount you need to eat to get enough calories is a lot.
Not really understanding what's funny about that. He's a medical doctors and sees hundreds of individuals through his clinic. Just because you can't believe it doesn't make it untrue or laughable. I find it more funny and ironic that people will laugh and roll their eyes on a subject they haven't even "checked" around at to see what the heck the person is talking about.

Yeah I'm having some problems now, which I'm attributing to detox like dr. morse and others have mentioned. I had a lot of problems adjusting when I went vegan overnight too, guess I should have stopped and not hung in there, because veganism is sooo unhealthy. Some of you guys need to read and not jump to gross assumptions. The tone I'm getting from both you and tailfin is unnecessarily rude.
ILuvMyPetz likes this.

#10 Old 06-09-2016, 04:32 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
Hi 4ever, good to "see" you back!

Hey ^_^
LedBoots likes this.

#11 Old 06-09-2016, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

$61. prayer shawls.Vacations.Retreats. Oils, soaprocks, Gods herbs. Lymph drainage therapy....
Not a lot found other than sales..
This guru sounds like a shill...
http://www.advancedhealingtherapies.com/massage.html

And even the link you gave shows a man asking a cat with a tin foil hat about acne and the cats mind says "eat fruit"...
#12 Old 06-09-2016, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not against raw food diets, just unsubstantiated claims.

Have you read "how not to die"? Dr Micheal Greger of http://nutritionfacts.org/
#13 Old 06-09-2016, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

I'm gonna move this to Raw forum
#14 Old 06-09-2016, 04:53 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
$61. prayer shawls.Vacations.Retreats. Oils, soaprocks, Gods herbs. Lymph drainage therapy....

And even the link you gave shows a man asking a cat with a tin foil hat about acne and the cats mind says "eat fruit"...

??? I don't know anything about that site so I can't comment.

That is just his opener for people who want to ask him things. People send in questions and he answers a lot of them. It's his videos that are where the content is at, not the front opener.

#15 Old 06-09-2016, 04:54 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:

Quote:
I'm not against raw food diets, just unsubstantiated claims.

Have you read "how not to die"? Dr Micheal Greger of http://nutritionfacts.org/
I didn't read his book but I went to one of his presentations, yes.

#16 Old 06-09-2016, 05:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Not really understanding what's funny about that. He's a medical doctors and sees hundreds of individuals through his clinic. Just because you can't believe it doesn't make it untrue or laughable. I find it more funny and ironic that people will laugh and roll their eyes on a subject they haven't even "checked" around at to see what the heck the person is talking about.

Yeah I'm having some problems now, which I'm attributing to detox like dr. morse and others have mentioned. I had a lot of problems adjusting when I went vegan overnight too, guess I should have stopped and not hung in there, because veganism is sooo unhealthy. Some of you guys need to read and not jump to gross assumptions. The tone I'm getting from both you and tailfin is unnecessarily rude.
Veganism (while more restrictive than an omnivore diet) still has more foods in it that you can consume and get your nutrients and vitamins from than fruitarianism. So, I don't think they are comparable at all.

Tailfin gave you advice. You pretty much replied with "You know nothing about this way of eating. Someone give me advice I can agree with".

If you're sure this is a healthy way of eating and it's just detox, hang in there a couple more weeks and see if those symptoms go away. In my opinion, the fact you started slowly transitioning a month ago and are still having problems isn't a good sign at all, though.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#17 Old 06-09-2016, 05:11 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Veganism (while more restrictive than an omnivore diet) still has more foods in it that you can consume and get your nutrients and vitamins from than fruitarianism. So, I don't think they are comparable at all.

Tailfin gave you advice. You pretty much replied with "You know nothing about this way of eating. Someone give me advice I can agree with".

If you're sure this is a healthy way of eating and it's just detox, hang in there a couple more weeks and see if those symptoms go away. In my opinion, the fact you started slowly transitioning a month ago and are still having problems isn't a good sign at all, though.
Thank you, your tone here is much better. Though it wasn't about me "agreeing" with anyone, it was more me trying to hear from any fruitarians, not people who don't know that much about the lifestyle, haven't even tried it or seen/heard from other fruitarians, making comments and remarks like they do.

#18 Old 06-09-2016, 05:35 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:

!

I do worry about the miracle cure claims that are made by some physicians. It's possible that a raw vegan diet improved the condition of ALS patients, but this doesn't prove that another type of healthy diet wouldn't have accomplished the same thing. A convincing proof requires a controlled study of many people, where one group is fed one diet, the other groups is fed another diet, and the results are compared.

There are a couple dozen peer-reviewed studies of raw vegan diets. These studies can be trusted more than anecdotal claims made on the internet. Below is a partial list of raw vegan health studies. As is true with studies of conventional vegan diets, the studies include both positive and negative findings.

1) An uncooked vegan diet shifts the profile of human fecal microflora:
computerized analysis of direct stool sample gas-liquid chromatography
profiles of bacterial cellular fatty acids., Appl Environ Microbiol 1992
Nov;58(11):3660-6

GLC profiles changed significantly in the test group after the induction and discontinuation of the vegan diet but not in the control group at any time, whereas quantitative bacterial culture did not detect any significant change in fecal bacteriology in either of the groups. The results suggest that an uncooked extreme vegan diet alters the fecal bacterial flora significantly when it is measured by direct stool sample GLC of bacterial fatty acids .

2) Antioxidant status in long-term adherents to a strict uncooked vegan
diet., Am J Clin Nutr 1995 Dec;62(6):1221-7

The present data indicate that the "living food diet" provides significantly more dietary antioxidants than does the cooked, omnivorous diet, and that the long-term adherents to this diet have a better antioxidant status than do omnivorous control subjects.

3) Antioxidants in vegan diet and rheumatic disorders., Toxicology 2000
Nov 30;155(1-3):45-53

The shift of fibromyalgic subjects to LF resulted in a decrease of their joint stiffness and pain as well as an improvement of their self-experienced health. The rheumatoid arthritis patients eating the LF diet also reported similar positive responses and the objective measures supported this finding. The improvement of rheumatoid arthritis was significantly correlated with the day-to-day fluctuation of subjective symptoms. In conclusion the rheumatoid patients subjectively benefited from the vegan diet rich in antioxidants, lactobacilli and fibre, and this was also seen in objective measures.

4) Consequences of a long-term raw food diet on body weight and menstruation: results of a questionnaire survey., Ann Nutr Metab 1999;43(2):69-79

CONCLUSIONS: The consumption of a raw food diet is associated with a high loss of body weight. Since many raw food dieters exhibited underweight and amenorrhea, a very strict raw food diet cannot be recommended on a long-term basis.

5) Coumarin 7-hydroxylation in long-term adherents of a strict uncooked
vegan diet., Eur J Clin Pharmacol 1996;50(1-2):133-7

CONCLUSION: According to the present study, the clearly different dietary patterns and nutrient intakes between the vegans and the omnivores resulted in similar extent and rate of 7-hydroxycoumarin formation, indicating only a minor effect on coumarin hydroxylase (CYP2A6) activity by the plant substances in the uncooked vegan diet.

6) Dental erosions in subjects living on a raw food diet., Caries Res
1999;33(1):74-80

Nevertheless, the results showed that a raw food diet bears an increased risk of dental erosion compared to conventional nutrition.

7) Divergent changes in serum sterols during a strict uncooked vegan diet in patients with rheumatoid arthritis., Br J Nutr 2001 Feb;85(2):137-9

Our results suggest that a strict uncooked vegan diet changes the relative absorption rates of these sterols and/or their biliary clearance.

8) Effect of a strict vegan diet on energy and nutrient intakes by Finnish rheumatoid patients., Eur J Clin Nutr 1993 Oct;47(10):747-9

Shifting to the uncooked vegan diet significantly increased the intakes of energy and many nutrients. In spite of the increased energy intake, the group on the vegan diet lost 9% of their body weight during the intervention period, indicating a low availability of energy from the vegan diet.

9) Effect of a vegan diet on biomarkers of chemoprevention in females., Hum Exp Toxicol 1996 Oct;15(10):821-5

The significance of these changes as biologically relevant indicators of beneficial effects of vegan diets in humans needs to be determined in studies with a larger number of subjects.

10) Effects of a raw food diet on hypertension and obesity., South Med J 1985 Jul;78(7):841-4

After a mean duration of 6.7 months, average intake of uncooked food comprised 62% of calories ingested. Mean weight loss was 3.8 kg and mean diastolic pressure reduction 17.8 mm Hg, both statistically significant (P less than .00001). Eighty percent of those who smoked or drank alcohol abstained spontaneously.

11) Effects of eating an uncooked vegetable diet for 1 week., Appetite 1992 Dec;19(3):243-54

It is concluded that this vegetable diet may be of some benefit in the short term but any longer-term use requires evaluation.

12) Faecal microbial flora and disease activity in rheumatoid arthritis during a vegan diet., Br J Rheumatol 1997 Jan;36(1):64-8

We conclude that a vegan diet changes the faecal microbial flora in RA patients, and changes in the faecal flora are associated with improvement in RA activity.

13) Fatty acid composition of erythrocyte, platelet, and serum lipids in strict vegans., Lipids 1995 Apr;30(4):365-9

The results show that, in the long term, the vegan diet has little effect on the proportions of oleic and arachidonic acids, whereas the levels of n-3 fatty acids are depressed to very low levels with prolonged consumption of the high linoleic and oleic acid components of this diet.

14) Fibromyalgia syndrome improved using a mostly raw vegetarian diet: An observational study., BMC Complement Altern Med 2001;1(1):7

CONCLUSION: This dietary intervention shows that many fibromyalgia subjects can be helped by a mostly raw vegetarian diet.

15) Metabolic vitamin B12 status on a mostly raw vegan diet with follow-up using tablets, nutritional yeast, or probiotic supplements., Ann Nutr Metab 2000;44(5-6):229-34

People following the Hallelujah diet and other raw-food vegetarian diets should regularly monitor their urinary MMA levels, consume a sublingual cobalamin supplement, or consume cobalamin in their food.

16) Raw food and immunity, Fortschr Med 1990 Jun 10;108(17):338-40

In view of this, uncooked food can be seen as a useful adjunct to drugs in the treatment of allergic, rheumatic and infectious diseases.

17) Raw Food Eaters: Health Habits and Nutrient Intake(FULL TEXT), Poster for the 16th International Congress of Nutrition, 27.7-1.8.1997, Montreal, Canada

The data show that an almost exclusive consumption of raw fruit and vegetables bear some advantages for nutrient intake but also may carry the threat of serious deficiencies. These findings need to be verified by analyses of nutrient status, a further aspect of this study which is currently under way.

18) Shifting from a conventional diet to an uncooked vegan diet reversibly alters fecal hydrolytic activities in humans., J Nutr 1992 Apr;122(4):924-30

Results suggest that this uncooked extreme vegan diet causes a decrease in bacterial enzymes and certain toxic products that have been implicated in colon cancer risk.

19) Survey of Food and Nutrient Intake of Hallelujah Vegetarians, Nutrition & Food Science 2001;31(6):293-303

What this study reveals is that intakes of most vitamins and minerals are adequate while following The Hallelujah Diet. Only vitamins B12 and D were extremely low. Hallelujah Acres recommends a vitamin B12 supplement and sunshine, the natural source of vitamin D, to make up for these low intakes.

20) Uncooked, lactobacilli-rich, vegan food and rheumatoid arthritis., Br J Rheumatol 1998 Mar;37(3):274-81

The results showed that an uncooked vegan diet, rich in lactobacilli, decreased subjective symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis. Large amounts of living lactobacilli consumed daily may also have positive effects on objective measures of rheumatoid arthritis.

21) Vegan diet alleviates fibromyalgia symptoms., Scand J Rheumatol 2000;29(5):308-13

It can be concluded that vegan diet had beneficial effects on fibromyalgia symptoms at least in the short run.

22) Vegan diet in physiological health promotion., Acta Physiol Hung 1999;86(3-4):171-80

The fibromyalgic subjects eating LF (living food) lost weight compared to their omnivorous controls. The results on their joint stiffness and pain (visual analogue scale), on their quality of sleep, on health assessment questionnaire and on general health questionnaire all improved. It appears that the adoption of vegan diet exemplified by the living food leads to a lessening of several health risk factors to cardiovascular diseases and cancer. Rheumatoid patients subjectively benefited from the vegan diet which was also seen in serum parameters and fecal analyses.

23) Vegetarian Raw Food Dietary Regimens: Health Habits and Nutrient Intake(FULL TEXT), Presented as Poster at the Third Internatiobnal Congress on Vegetarian Nutrition, Loma Linda, California USA, March 24-26 1997

The intake of nutrients that are usually provided by foods of animal origin is insufficient. These include Vitamins B12 and D, zinc and calcium. On the other hand, the intake of certain protective nutrients, such as Vitamin C and other antioxidants, lie above the national average.

24) Vitamin B-12 status of long-term adherents of a strict uncooked
vegan diet ("living food diet" is compromised., J Nutr 1995 Oct;125(10):2511-5

The cross-sectional study revealed significantly (P < 0.001, paired t test) lower serum vitamin B-12 concentrations in the vegans (mean 193 pmol/L, range 35-408) compared with their matched omnivorous controls (311, 131-482). In the vegan group, total vitamin B-12 intake correlated significantly (r = 0.63, P < 0.01) with serum vitamin B-12 concentration. The vegans consuming Nori and/or Chlorella seaweeds (n = 16) had serum vitamin B-12 concentrations twice as high as those not using these seaweeds (n = 5) (mean 221 pmol/L, range 75-408, vs. 105, 35-252, P = 0.025). In the longitudinal study, six of nine vegans showed slow, but consistent deterioration of vitamin B-12 status over a 2-y observation period. On the basis of these results we conclude that some seaweeds consumed in large amounts can supply adequate amounts of bioavailable vitamin B-12.

4everaspirt, please remember that the internet is filled with exaggerated claims, and lies. There are even people who claim that it's possible to nourish oneself without food or drink, living only on air, qi, prana, or sunlight. There are multiple websites, and even entire institutes, devoted to this claim (just Google "breatharianism" and you'll see). Does all this devotion and conversation make it true?

tpkyteroo luebeck likes this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 06-09-2016 at 09:12 PM.
#19 Old 06-09-2016, 05:42 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Didn't have time to read all that yet, but sediment in the urine is not necessarily stones.
#20 Old 06-09-2016, 05:45 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
Please be careful, 4everaspirit. Urine should be liquid - it should not contain any solids. Sediment in the urine is kidney stones: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...n/con-20024829 . Although the term "kidney stones" conjures up images of actual stones, kidney stones can be as small as sand grains:
We are going to have to disagree. If you look up "kidney filtration sediment", and the pictures posted (link https://www.grapegate.com/urine-sediment/), it looks like that. No kidney stones. I also went to the doctor a few months ago, blood tests, physical, and all, everything was fine! I guess I'll have to get another blood test done in a few months after I've been all fruit to show people how it's been going for me. Granted if I get back on health insurance.

Last edited by 4everaspirit; 06-09-2016 at 05:51 PM.
#21 Old 06-09-2016, 08:22 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:

Basically he goes over how most if not all ailments can be cured by getting the body into an alkaline state.

No worries - we can certainly agree to disagree. However, extraordinary claims (like the one above) require extraordinary evidence. I've never seen a peer-reviewed study proving that AIDS can be cured by getting the body into an alkaline state. I strongly suggest that care be taken when repeating such claims.

Wild chimpanzees eat fruit, leaves, and tiny amounts of animal products. Their diet is presumably alkaline, yet they are still affected by many of the diseases that affect humans: http://pin.primate.wisc.edu/factshee...himpanzee/cons

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."

Last edited by David3; 06-09-2016 at 08:28 PM.
#22 Old 06-09-2016, 09:11 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
Didn't have time to read all that yet, but sediment in the urine is not necessarily stones.
Understood, and the reputable U.S. National Institutes of Health confirm what you say: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23429795 . I have removed the "kidney stone" content from my post.

LedBoots likes this.

_________

#23 Old 06-09-2016, 09:54 PM
Vegan since 1991

4everaspirit, you've got to be careful with your diet here. You say that you're only eating fruit - this is not sufficient! Even Douglas Graham has emphasized that dark leafy green vegetables are essential to the 80-10-10 diet: http://foodnsport.com/faq.php . Dark leafy green vegetables are an important source of calcium for vegans, and especially for raw vegans (because raw vegans typically don't consume calcium-fortified plant milks). Please see this article by vegan Registered Dietitian, Reed Mangels: http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/calcium.php

Also, remember that the 80-10-10 diet includes 10% of its calories from protein. You cannot achieve this protein intake by eating only sweet fruit, because sweet fruits only include about 3% to 7% of their calories as protein. For instance, mangoes and figs each only include 3% of their calories as protein: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...-juices/1952/2 and http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...-juices/1884/2.

If you're going to follow a fruit-centered vegan diet, please read the book "Becoming Raw": https://www.amazon.com/Becoming-Raw-...s=becoming+raw . This book is written to two vegan Registered Dietitians, and its information is carefully researched.

Naturebound likes this.

_________

#24 Old 06-10-2016, 02:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi 4everaspirit! Good to see you on here again!

I have to agree with David regarding the studies he has provided that are peer reviewed and evidence based.

Raw can work for some people, and indeed there are people who have either cured or managed some chronic conditions eating all raw. For example Dr. Brooke Goldner managed to arrest her Lupus eating primarily raw. She also eats a TON of leafy greens, which are important in the raw community for protein, calcium, iron, etc, all of which are very difficult to get from fruits alone. I think she uses something like 4 cups minimum PER SERVING of leafy greens in smoothies. So if you do all raw, I would highly recommend lots of leafy greens! I am concerned for you because I know what it is like to personally have bad bones and severe osteoporosis and it is not something that you can cure or improve easily. Trust me. Once you ruin your bones, it is VERY hard to regain bone density. So please pay attention to your calcium needs and so on. Use a nutrition tracker if you have to.

I know that Bite Sized Vegan eats primarily raw, though not strictly so. She might be someone to contact also. Kiwibird on here also eats primarily raw. Both of them have been very successful.

I would also find a doctor (I know you don't have insurance but maybe there is someone who does sliding fee? I saw a naturopathic doctor years ago who is also an MD who took sliding fee patients). Someone who can help you navigate diet with your chronic digestive issues.

I dabbled in all raw a few times. I liked doing high fruit/leafy green and low fat style but I was going to the bathroom numerous times per day and did have to eat a ton to feel satiated and not constantly hungry. I also had to think about the social aspects. Working a full time job, going to meetings and groups and camping and so on. It is tough to do when you eat all raw. Raw food is bulky, heavy, messy. I can only imagine a three day camping trip with all raw lol. I would need a whole huge backpack or two of them with all the raw food it would take to sustain me. I spent a lot of time cutting, preparing, storing, and buying food. You have to be really committed and dedicated to that. And really really know exactly what you need to thrive all raw. A book or two isn't enough information to be able to do that. You need to spend a lot of time with people who have been doing all raw/fruitarian for years and understand how they were able to make it work for them. And are they being completely honest? Have they not had any hurdles to overcome? Obsticales? Health issues? From the studies I have read, tooth decay and bone density loss are common issues for fruitarians, unless they include nuts/seeds and leafy greens often.

my concern for you (and I am sure all of us on here) comes from a place of love for a fellow vegan. We just want you to be healthy and happy. If this is working for you, I am happy for you! It's important to hear all sides to everything, and I am sure you have already.

I just want to mention one more thing. I did read the 80/10/10 book by Dr. Douglas Graham (I still can't find his exact credentials and information about where he went to school). I still have that book. I was troubled by some of what he was teaching. I went on his forum and there are a ton of people who post on there with concerns and experiences. Even long term 80/10/10 adherents have had their struggles and doubts, and have had to make changes to make it work. I remember one guy had lost a TON of weight and was literally emaciated, but was told by Dr. Graham that he was fine. That really bothered me as someone who myself has been there and knows that the damage that does to your body is tremendous. it isn't always noticeable or can't always be revealed by a simple blood test. I had EKGs, DEXA scans, and xrays which all showed the damage that a simple blood test won't. At any rate, even Dr. Graham mentions that it can take years of slowly changing your lifestyle to achieve the raw akaline state of a fruitarian diet. It is very very hard to do overnight and get it all right immediately. It is almost never recommended.

Best wishes to you and don't be a stranger!
leedsveg and David3 like this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#25 Old 06-10-2016, 07:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
I suppose if my advice was similar to:

Yeah, all doctors are shills and puppets; it's a huge conspiracy orchestrated by the government and big pharmaceutical and chemicals companies. Doctors never heal anyone, just treat their symptoms while making profit off of prescriptions. Every doctor is the same.

It would have been much more readily accepted. "We" forget that the "big bad" medical doctors are real people with real emotions and empathy towards patients. "We" forget that they're held to ethical standards, have years of training, and learn more about the body than pretty much any other profession. "We" forget that what they prescribe and what they know is based on actual science, actual peer reviewed studies, actual evidence.

But they're all just shills for big pharma, man, they're all shills.

Last edited by TailFin; 06-10-2016 at 07:19 AM.
#26 Old 06-22-2016, 02:05 PM

reply to op

I for one love your write up.

why frozen avocado's ?

keep it up!
#27 Old 06-22-2016, 06:28 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbryanrawvegan View Post

[/b]why frozen avocado's[/b] ?

keep it up!

I'm guessing that it is so you always have some ripe avocados, not sure. I love avocados but have only frozen them in guacamole (yum).
billbryanrawvegan likes this.
#28 Old 06-26-2016, 11:22 AM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbryanrawvegan View Post

why frozen avocado's ?

keep it up!
Thank you! My painful gas and bloating is actually gone. Haven't had a case of it. Some light gas but nothing too bad. Most likely a cleaning out. I've had a few slip ups but I keep getting back on the wagon And Ledboots is right, I just always want to have ripe avocados for when I feel I need one, because I don't eat one everyday.
LedBoots likes this.

#29 Old 06-26-2016, 04:21 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Thank you! My painful gas and bloating is actually gone. Haven't had a case of it. Some light gas but nothing too bad. Most likely a cleaning out. I've had a few slip ups but I keep getting back on the wagon And Ledboots is right, I just always want to have ripe avocados for when I feel I need one, because I don't eat one everyday.

I'm glad to hear you are doing well. I hope you will understand that my earlier posts were written out of concern for your health! A fruit-centered diet must still incorporate plenty of dark leafy green vegetables, as well as some nuts/seeds. Have you been able to include these in your diet? Also, please do not trust that a raw vegan diet will cure all illnesses!

_________

Last edited by David3; 06-26-2016 at 04:24 PM.
#30 Old 06-26-2016, 05:08 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
I'm glad to hear you are doing well. I hope you will understand that my earlier posts were written out of concern for your health! A fruit-centered diet must still incorporate plenty of dark leafy green vegetables, as well as some nuts/seeds. Have you been able to include these in your diet? Also, please do not trust that a raw vegan diet will cure all illnesses!

I certainly understand. Whether I agree with it or not is different I have no interest in including them in my diet except for very sparingly as I feel like. Fruits are astringents, greens are not as cleansing to the lymphatic system. I will keep you guys updated on how it goes. I also took some eye pictures earlier on to have a base to observe changes in eye color. They should overtime start turning blue.

Closed Thread

Tags
fruitarian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page