Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 2 Post By no whey jose
  • 1 Post By melbourne_vegan
  • 1 Post By no whey jose
  • 3 Post By veganfitnessjunkie

#1 Old 12-03-2015, 11:33 PM

Recommendations on Supplements

I have a friend who is seeing a holistic doctor recommends different kinds of supplements which sound great but I'm kind of curious as to what supplements you all take and how you figured out which ones were right for you also if you can recommend something to me I am a very physically active person do to a dog that requires many walks and runs and play time and I'm always on my feet. my diet is ok right now but I would like it to be better lately I've been eating ugly and salad and drinking water throughout the day with some pomegranates bananas and seeds here and there but I'd like to include something that will help me with my joints as I am constantly over using my legs and something that will clarity and fatigue improve concentration and also improve lung health and or help with cancer or tumor.
my 73 year old friend who happens to have cancer recommends guanabana in pill form... for the treatment of cancer. i personally am not diagnosed with cancer but i do have something showing on sonagram.. for some years and i want to do everything i can to slow any kind of negative growth in my body or reverse effects of contact with toxins such as smoke. if anyone has any recommendations or would like to share what supplements they take and why please share. and sorry for the ramble
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-04-2015, 12:11 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanineChef View Post
lately I've been eating ugly and salad
In that case, I'd suggest supplementing with a little beautiful.

In all seriousness, you won't find a capsule that will do all the things on your list, particularly cancer-fighting or tumour-shrinking. If you want to be healthy, the best thing is a nutritionally complete diet and regular exercise. You can supplement whatever's lacking in your diet. Maybe track your meals for a week using an online food tracker and see where you stand on the necessary nutrients? Personally, I take a daily multivitamin and a DHA/EPA supplement. Many vegans take sublingual B12.
#3 Old 12-04-2015, 10:43 PM
Vegan since 1991

If you are looking for evidence-based recommendations for nutrition and supplements, you might find it useful to make an appointment with a Registered Dietitian. A Registered Dietitian is a professional with a university degree, certification, and ongoing education in human nutrition. They can work with you and your physician to ensure that your diet supports your health as best as possible.

In the United States, you can find a local Registered Dietitian through this website: http://www.eatright.org . Just click on the "Find an Expert" button, located in the upper-right-hand portion of the webpage.

In the U.K., you can find a local Registered Dietitian on the Freelance Dietitians website: http://www.freelancedietitians.org/

In New Zealand, you can find a local Registered Dietitian through the Dietitians New Zealand website: http://dietitians.org.nz/find-a-dietitian/

In Canada, you can find a local Registered Dietitian at the Dietitians of Canada website: http://www.dietitians.ca/Find-a-Dietitian.aspx

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-04-2015, 11:47 PM

Vegans have two choices. we can take vitamin B12 pills (250 micrograms per day). Every other nutrient we need can come from our diet. There are vitamin B12 pills in most chemists.

The other choice is to take a vegan multivitamin, which should already give you 250 micrograms (or more) of vitamin B12 per day plus other nutrients. Vegan multivitamins are not in most chemists. There may be some that have it. You can definitely find some on iHerb, which ships worldwide.
#5 Old 12-05-2015, 06:20 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbourne_vegan View Post
Vegans have two choices. we can take vitamin B12 pills (250 micrograms per day). Every other nutrient we need can come from our diet. There are vitamin B12 pills in most chemists.

The other choice is to take a vegan multivitamin, which should already give you 250 micrograms (or more) of vitamin B12 per day plus other nutrients. Vegan multivitamins are not in most chemists. There may be some that have it. You can definitely find some on iHerb, which ships worldwide.
I bought mine on Amazon.
#6 Old 12-05-2015, 09:06 AM

I take Vitamin D3 (a vegan form), Algae EPA/DHA and Vitamin B12.

When it comes to the other things you want supplements for, I would speak to a nutritionist or a doctor.

Recommendations from an RD: http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/dailyrecs
Dr. Greger's Optimum Nutrition Recommendations: http://nutritionfacts.org/2011/09/12...commendations/
#7 Old 12-12-2015, 06:44 PM
Sustainable Gardener

I love the algae (flakes-dried) too. They are so easy to slip into any meal and with no real taste added. Dried algae has lots of great stuff for you, a powerhouse of nutrients and minerals.

Tags
guanabana , lungs , oils , supplements cancer , vitamins

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page